Mark Wiedmer: Dooley perfect fit for Dallas

In this archived photo, Derek Dooley waits in the tunnel to enter Tiger Stadium in Baton Rouge, La., Saturday, Oct. 2, 2010.

Photo by Amy Smotherman Burgess

CHATTANOOGA - When you think about it, why wouldn't the Dallas Cowboys want former Tennessee coach Derek Dooley to work with their wide receivers?

Could there be any better preparation for dealing with the immature, undisciplined Cowboys mega-talent Dez Bryant than having previously coached the immature, undisciplined, former Vols mega-talent Da'Rick Rogers?

In fact, who's to say that the Cowboys aren't already considering drafting Rogers, working some trade deal before the Oakland Raiders beat them to it?

This is not to say the Cowboys shouldn't hire Dooley, who was once a very fine possession receiver at Virginia. He may or may not have been qualified to become the Big Orange boss, but he was apparently a capable enough assistant for Nick Saban at LSU that Saint Nick brought him along to Miami when he took over the Dolphins.

Continue reading at the Times Free Press

bkgunter writes:

Dallas is a .500 outfit for close to two decades now, so Dooley is truly a perfect fit.

StoneJackBaller writes:

Jerry Jones has lost his mind.

tnoutlaw2001#228008 writes:

Is the writer being sarcastic? It seems now that Dooley is gone that he was the "problem" he had an arrogant attitude and allowed arrogant players to ruin the team and locker room. See Bray, Rogers for examples. Lets see rumors had it that Rogers ran off the WR coach, then ran himself off, then Bray thought golf meant getting drunk and teeing off on parked cars and Dooley thought it was just a youngster being young. Yep, sounds like a perfect fit in Dallas.

CoverOrange writes:

From the John Adam's School of Jerk Journalism, I give you Mark Wiedmer.

Nothing to read here, move along, move along.

thevoice writes:

Wonder what Jones will think about the ceramic dog and bamboo.

arkyvol writes:

anybody who's dumb enough to think that d.d. belongs on anybody's sideline is dumb enough to think la. tech. would want him back.

volnbig11land writes:

WOW, I just don't understand all the vile comments directed at Dooley. A lot of the bashers on here were probably cheering like crazy when he was hired. I know I remember reading a lot of "Southern Boy with good blood line" comments.

It didn't work out. That's too bad, but it sometimes happens unfortunately. I'm reasonably sure that he didn't come here and TRY to fail.

I say good luck to him, and Go Big Orange!

volsrfiguy writes:

I bet Dooley didn't con ol Jerry Jones into a ridiculous contract like he had at TN!!! Jerry you deserve what you bought with him...Glad to see him gone from here...

Ayres_Hall writes:

in response to CoverOrange:

From the John Adam's School of Jerk Journalism, I give you Mark Wiedmer.

Nothing to read here, move along, move along.

They are two peas in a pod. Both are little men who think they funny. Wes Rucker is trying to be like them.

bkgunter writes:

in response to volnbig11land:

I say good luck to him, and Go Big Orange!

None of the posts here could be characterized as "vile comments." No one wished him bad luck. No none said that he tried to fail. And anybody who believed in him because he was southern, or because of who his parents were, got exactly what they deserved. He was a coach with a losing record when he arrived, and he enhanced that reputation while he was here. Nothing vile, just factual. He'll fit right in with the bloated egos and under performers in Dallas.

volnbig11land writes:

in response to bkgunter:

I didn't mean to imply the comments on this particular article necessarily, my mistake.

I was just talking in general terms about most of the articles on here and the usual negative comments that go along with them.

I stand by what I said about reading many comments on here about his Southern upbringing and bloodline however; regardless of whether I thought that way or not. I read many like comments on here concerning those two topics.

I agree with you about his losing record, although I drank from the orange colored glasses and hoped it wouldn't matter. Apperently it did.

I also agree in part about the bloated egos and under performance in Dallas. I haven't liked them since JJ bought them and ran Landry off.

Go Big Orange!

CantStandCantStandSaban writes:

I think it's safe to say that he will be in the highest tax bracket of every other position coach in the NFL.

RememberWhen writes:

Only in America could such incompetence fail so miserably and move up to the next level! DoLittle should be charged with fraud! LMAO!

dwolfcreek#397971 writes:

90% of the people on this site ,must be having trouble with their spouse . I reckon you done been run in puter room and taking it out on somebody else ............

murrayvol writes:

I have nothing against Dooley except that he was not cut out to be an SEC head coach. Few are.

What really galls me is he grew up in a household that boasted one of the SEC's best ever and evidently didn't pay much attention. Ditto on his service with Saban.

Spent 3 years in Knoxville and NEVER attended a HS football game. Are you serious??

dunc writes:

I grew up in Knoxville and have lived in Dallas a long time. Jerry Jones has almost succeeded in making me a former Cowboys fan. Good luck to DD. He's going to need it.

govolsn3 writes:

Once again COACH DOOLEY had threee years of top 20 recruiting, one top ten look it up on RIVALS and beat the current coaching staff rather soundly and after todays check on RIVALS the VOLS have fell to 40th. Just keep bashing the man, and I still say good luck COACH JONES, your gonna need it. Congrats to COACH DOOLEY cause some of us know how to look up the real stats. GO VOLS

arkyvol writes:

in response to govolsn3:

and just what did orange pants get out of all that talent?

having good players and putting the first back to back losing seasons together at u.t. in a century is a worse indictment than the fact that he is a garden variety incompetent.

Samuel_L_Salma_GataBait_HowBoutDemCowboys_BlueWaffles88 writes:

Well.. at least Jerry Jones didn't offer him the head coaching job...

tovolny writes:

I think the word is called "APPALLED" that describes what I am after reading this BS from the 'Weedeater' from Chattanooga. I am "DISMAYED" knowing that a writer living in the State of Tennessee could write such stupid idiotic articles making fun of Derek Dooley. I am convinced that Coach Dooley did his very best. Coach Dooley does not deserve this type of manufactured, twisted, distorted, off-the-wall malarkey by the 'Weedeater.' This was obviously written to belittle the Vols. It reminds me of the little punks that set fires to property, and then from hidden vantage points watch their acts of arson while undergoing a session of auto-erotica. Wiedmer should be banned from this site. There is just no reason for writing manufactured news. 'Freedom of the Press' was NOT meant to be a means to publish 'un-truths.'

Sir_Spanky writes:

in response to Samuel_L_Salma_GataBait_HowBoutDemCowboys_BlueWaffles88:

Well.. at least Jerry Jones didn't offer him the head coaching job...

Give him time. :-)

ETownVol writes:

Still no official word of Dooley's hiring on the Cowboys' website as of today. As of Sunday 1/27 they were still interviewing candidates. So why the heck does KNS report that Dooley has been hired by Dallas. I'll believe it when I see an official release by the Cowboys. I appreciate what Dooley tried to do at UT but after reading about his arrogance and poor relations with high school coaches, I have a hard time wishing him success in his career. The man brought this situation on himself if the stories are, indeed, true. Would make him a perfect fit in Dallas, though.

BIVOLAR_BEARE writes:

I'm a lifelong UT/Dallas fan so whining about CDD is counterproductive to say the least. I did hear someone on another article say CDD couldn't handle Da'Rop Rogers, so, how would he deal with Dez Bryant. The answer is all he has to do is coach Dez, he no longer has to worry about his lifestyle and attending classes & NCAA rules etc. He can simply focus on game preparation and schemes which is really more his style.

BIVOLAR_BEARE writes:

in response to ETownVol:

You sir are correct..DallasCowboys.com verified CDD had interviewed, but the WR coaching position had not been filled. Apparently KNS jumped the gun in an attempt to bait their reading audience, because they sure don't give up to the minute news on the Vols. No, that's only for former coach's of UT..For shame, GVX.

6972 writes:

Maybe DD and Jason Witten can sit around and talk about the "good old days" at UT. What a contrast, a future hall of fame guy, and a....well you get the idea. Check the record if in doubt.

hooverd283#563729 writes:

Another example of just how far the profession of journalism has fallen. No class. Article should be removed, oops ! We can't do that because it's his right to belittle another human being.

FanNotSheep writes:

I was not happy when Dooley was announced. Didn't care if he was Southern. If being a good old boy guaranteed success, Buzz Peterson would still be coaching in Thompson-Boling.

Don't get why the haters can't let it go. Not even Saban himself would have won at UT in 2010 or 2011. Just not enough talent on the roster to compete in the SEC. But Dooley should have made progress in 2012 and instead regressed. I think he was partially doomed by the horrible hire (either he or Hart made) for defensive coordinator, just like Fulmer's coffin was nailed by his hiring of Clawson as O.C. (all Fulmer's fault).

Fulmer and Dooley both took advantage of huge buyouts that hampered UT's chances of hiring a big name coach. But really, the ineptitude of the administration would fill any hot coach with apprehension about signing on at UT. All he had to do was look at how the Vols treated Fulmer and Pearl, two of the winningest active college coaches in their respective sports, to guess how things might go. I guess a huge buyout isn't everything.

FanNotSheep writes:

It will be funny if Dooley one day lands a better situation and actually becomes a successful head coach. I doubt it will happen unless he learns to delegate responsibility and changes his approach to handling the media.

But fans have no clue about coaching a major college football team, yet so many condemned him before he ever had a decent roster to work with.

Imagine if the Colts had treated Peyton the way UT fans treated Dooley. Think he would have been around after that 2-14 season with all those interceptions? Just think, no Pro Bowls, no MVPs no Super Bowl ring for a future Hall of Fame QB who is re-writing all the record books, coming back from a potentially crippling injury and replacing Johnny Unitas as the icon of the NFL.

I'm not saying Dooley could ever be a great coach. I am saying a great coach could have been at the helm of the UT football program that he inherited and no one would know. Just like no one knew Manning could be what he is today when he was running for his life and trying to make the leap to the hardest league in football with a horrible team.

manniesghost1903 writes:

My guess is that Coach Dooley (Derek not Vince) will not be selected as Wide Receiver Coach for the Dallas Cowboys. I will definitely feel a great deal of disappointment if he is not selected because I have no love for "America's Team."

In my opinion the recruiting classes under Derek Dooley contained a few talented players but were far short on supporting depth, especially at linebacker and running back. As Coach Jones is finding out back to back to back losing seasons does dull a lot of enthusiasm in the UT Football program.

My understanding is Derek Dooley received a law degree from the University of Virginia (however, I am not sure that is correct). I know a law degree from the University of Virginia is a valued object. If in fact his law degree does come from UVa, how come he is not a prominent attorney instead of a failed Head Football Coach? Does anyone have the facts on this?

That_One_Fellar writes:

in response to FanNotSheep:

Okay, so your post here is so ignorant, I'm not really sure where to start first... Okay, got it... They were 3-13 Peyton's rookie year... Good icebreaker... Now while Peyton and the Colts established the Derek Dooley kinda record, Peyton broke 5 qb rookie records, so if the fans woulda boo'd him out of Indy, then they would know less about football then all Kentucky fans... If Derek Dooley would have broken any records, ya know other than the whole worst coach in Tennessee history, I believe our fans might have been a little bit more accepting... Next, and in my opinion more importantly, if you didn't know Peyton Manning was a star from the get-go, you should really concider posting your football 'wisdom' on the Kentucky football message boards... They might buy it... The first time I saw Peyton Manning playin football, mind you I was 8 at the time, I knew that he was going to be great for many years to come... Of course, I watched football and knew the sport at the time... Honestly, if you couldn't see that Peyton was going to be a football phenom, you know nothing about the sport I love... You really art not post things you know nothing about... 'It's better to remain silent, and be thought of as a fool, than open your mouth and remove all doubt.' -Abe Lincoln

govolsn3 writes:

in response to arkyvol:

and just what did orange pants get out of all that talent?

The point is that no coach could turn around the mess that COACH DOOLEY inherited. I just laugh at all the hate that the man is recieving and most of the blame of lack of success is that he couldn't recruit when the facts are right in front of them. I admit that his game decisions where not good but I have always said that most of the blame should be placed on the players not executing. You can coach kids and high school players but when you play big time college ball you would think that natural talent would just take over. I say back Coach Jones but I don't think he stands a chance. It is pretty obvious that he can't come close to the recruits that DOOLEY was getting. All this hate toward him will be at JONES in a couple of years and then another buy-out. Just think about it 40th ranked class on the field in 2 years.

OldVols68 writes:

in response to volnbig11land:

I say good luck to him, and Go Big Orange!

He may not have meant to fail, but since he apparently did not like the recruiting part (delegated it apparently), he should never have been a college-level coach. Any coach who does not like recruiting (or at least not embrace and act like he likes it:))is destined to fail as a college-level coach.

not_guilty writes:

Hiring Dooley as a WR coach makes more sense than any other position. He coached three wide receivers who are likely first or second round picks in this year's NFL draft. Is that true of any other college head coach?