Dallas Cowboys haven't hired Derek Dooley yet

Tennessee head coach Derek Dooley speaks during a press conference in the Peyton Manning Locker Room Complex at Neyland Stadium Friday, Jan. 15, 2010.

Photo by Adam Brimer, copyright © 2010

Three days after ESPN reported that the Dallas Cowboys had hired former Tennessee coach Derek Dooley to be their next receivers coach, the team still hasn't confirmed the hiring.

Dooley told WNML host Jimmy Hyams on Monday that the initial reports were wrong and that he had not agreed to join any team.

Cowboys spokesperson Rich Dalrymple said Tuesday afternoon that there was nothing new to report.

"We only send out a press release when we are told a contract has been finalized and signed. We don't get into the speculative stuff," he said.

Adding to the confusion, the Associated Press seemed to confirm ESPN's report last Saturday night by citing a post on the Dallas Cowboys official website. That story on DallasCowboys.com — "Dooley Expected to Become New Receivers Coach" — was removed. On Sunday, a new headline read "WR Coach Among Positions Still Not Filled By Cowboys."

The Cowboys employ reporters who cover the team for its own website, and their reports are not necessarily the official announcements of the team.

"I don't know what the website story said," Dalrymple said. "It's not official unless it is a press release from our office."

If hired, Dooley would replace veteran NFL assistant Jimmy Robinson and be given responsibility for coaching mercurial star receiver Dez Bryant.

Dooley, who was 15-21 in three seasons at UT before being fired in November, is being paid a $5 million buyout in monthly installments of $102,040 through December 2016. The buyout is not affected by his future earnings.

Dooley spent two years in the NFL as an assistant to Nick Saban in Miami in 2005-2006. He is familiar with the Dallas area, having spent three years as an assistant at Southern Methodist in the late 1990s. His wife, Allison, is from Fort Worth.

Get Copyright Permissions © 2013, Knoxville News Sentinel Co.

RubyBegonia writes:

Hell, he lasted longer at Tn., Guess they don't take as long to decide in big D!!!

BIVOLAR_BEARE writes:

No kidding..like we thought GVX had a scoop no other news outlet in the United States reported..Bwahahahahaha!

SuddenSam writes:

Over $25,000 a week for the next 4 years for doing absolutely nothing- I could just puke.

pingkr62 writes:

in response to SuddenSam:

Thats just less than half what I make in a whole year. Talk about puking!

Sir_Spanky writes:

A little Karma perhaps? Maybe if Dallas' HC (and/or JJ since he's got his face in everything going on over there) lets Dez treat DD like a homeless, redheaded step child, then maybe DD will be a feelin what Charlie Baggett was feelin with DD's little boy, Da'rick.

burpee_von_rotweiler_IV writes:

He is holding out for a bigger golden parachute clause.

pcorange writes:

I wish Coach Dooley the best whatever he does next. I don't think he was ready for the big time as a head coach, and he may never be. He did, however, try to build the team in a way that would make the Big Orange Nation proud. It didn't work out, and he was rightfully relieved of his duties. That doesn't make him a terrible person, and I wish our fans would let go of their hatred of him. I have immensely more respect for Derek Dooley than I'll ever have for Lane Kiffin.

ETownVol writes:

in response to SuddenSam:

If it would make you feel any better, factor in all the weeks he was on payroll as an active coach at UT and did nothing. Would bring the average down a bit. Still enough to make you at least nauseous. :)

VOLS_SEC_RULES writes:

Reminds me of the ending of the LSU game and the UNC game....just when you think Dooley may have been successful.....wrong!

BobbyJones writes:

in response to SuddenSam:

And we wonder what's wrong with America. It's called "Greed" brother. Bling, stuff, materialism, nice s&#t, keep up with the Jones, gotta have the best of everything. And it ain't gettin' better.

lemme_axya_this writes:

in response to pcorange:

My sentiments exactly.

VOLtage writes:

Arguing with Cowboys about wanting to wear his orange pants next year.

BIVOLAR_BEARE writes:

in response to Sir_Spanky:

A lifestyle coach won't be one of CDD's jobs at Dallas..In case you forgot the players are supposed to be adults and manage themselves off the field.

murrayvol writes:

in response to BobbyJones:

And it's still better than anyplace else.

123forVOLS writes:

Who are the info-idiots who put stuff out there and get it started? This is ridiculous but so is Hyams for having Dooley on the show. This is a media embarrassment but then the media do not care because we keep on watching and listening. What happens if he is not hired? Nothing except detractors will be at it again as if he is still in Knoxville. Let's move on in Rocky Top.

voloffaith writes:

Is this buyer's remorse before the wedding?

10seVol85_Part_Deux writes:

in response to pcorange:

And just look how Kiffy did this year with all that blue-chip talent.

chad954ut writes:

When can we stop talking about this joke of a coach !

GOJO writes:

in response to pcorange:

*************

January 29, 2013
9:23 p.m.
GOJO writes:
in response to lemme_axya_this:

My sentiments exactly.

"I have immensely more respect for Derek Dooley than I'll ever have for Lane Kiffin",eh?
That is not saying much.

BIVOLAR_BEARE writes:

in response to GlennFordsFoible:

Aren't you part of the UT brass, minus the BR?

eVOLved writes:

in response to SuddenSam:

mindboggling--whitlock's term "shamateurism" helps put it into perspective: with so much free labor they can pay the coaches so much. the big mistake i see is they sign coaches for longer than they are willing to work with them.

i am also of the opinion that if they signed him for 5 years they should plan to work with him for 5 years, which is apt because college football is a 5-6 year process of:

recruiting class year+ redshirt+4 eligible years.

looking forward to the new coach, but i still don't think they should have fired a coach halfway throughout that process.

i wouldn't blame coach dooley for working no more than cashing those checks.

i wonder who made more money in their college coaching careers: legendary coach vince dooley or excellent contract negotiator cdd

bkgunter writes:

in response to pcorange:

"...try to build the team in a way that would make the Big Orange Nation proud?" What does that mean? He was terrible at most apsects of his job. And if you argue that he recruited well, then his coaching performance was even worse. Nobody hates him, or thinks that he is a terrible person. But he was a miserable failure.

Munsterlander writes:

in response to collegegrovebilly:

You guys never stop, do you. Most picturesque campus in the SEC? That alone disqualifies you as having anything reasonable to say.

CDD's 3 year record = CJM's 3 year record.

He got a terrible situation, he couldn't make it happen. He's gone. Quit being such a whiner. You guys fancy yourselves true Vol fans; you're really just very ugly people.

FREOVOL writes:

in response to murrayvol:

And it's still better than anyplace else.

How many places have you been? I've been to a few and there are some great places out there - ever seen the Pantheon in Rome? "Better than anyplace else." Not really. Your and my favorite place? Yes.

Orange_Beach writes:

in response to collegegrovebilly:

I take it you've never been to Starkville or Vandy.

SCVFL writes:

in response to pcorange:

I agree with your post. But I lost some respect for him, after hearing reports from local high school coaches and some of the previous VOL players.

GO CBJ
GO BIG RNG...still a VFL

ncvol11 writes:

in response to pcorange:

You are absolutely right. He did an excellent job recruiting with three classes in the top 15.
The coaching staff had enought NFL experience to provide the answers that many of the recruits are looking for today. Yes he did need to be replaced and I am not so sure we upgraded the coaching/recruiting staff. We will know if they can close on top rated recruits soon enough. But if you look over all the students GPA is astronomical compared to what we had come to expect from previous Football teams. That may not be important to those who did not graduate from the University but to those that did it is a big part of the package. Plus the integrity that he installed in that department was lacking in the past.
Fans at UT my alma mater want every thing right now and in Football that is very hard to imediately turn around. Ask Johnny Majors who inherited a program in the trash can and when he left it had won SEC championships two of his last three seasons. It took 7 years.
The best that you can hope for in constant coaching turnover is that the talent level continues to increase. That will be evident in how this recruiting class grades out. The level that has been established is top 15 or better in the country. For this program to move forward and be competetive that level or better needs to be a reality no matter who the coach is or isn't.

scvols writes:

in response to VOLS_SEC_RULES:

Best comment of the tread.

lemme_axya_this writes:

in response to GlennFordsFoible:

The message the Cowboy brass got was that the players would be lobbying for Dooley to be head coach by mid season.

crappieking writes:

If the Cowboys or any other team hires him, do we still have to pay the bum? Anyone know the terms?

voloffaith writes:

in response to billyvolsfan:

At this count you have 23 post since starting with this new name on the 22nd. Only 18 of them are all in this article. Jeepers Wally state it and then stop repeating it over and over....not saying points aren't valid. Just sayin' say it and don't hit the repeat button again and again.

On topic, is he a cowboy or has he been put out to pasture?

gbrown2 writes:

I am just glad he's gone.... Paying him for the next couple years is the nature of the business/beast... Ha

6972 writes:

Whoever put the burr under billyvoslfan's saddle, would you kindly remove it? He's having some difficulty with anger management issues. Just trying to help the guy out before he has a stroke.