Vanderbilt focuses on rebounding against Tennessee

Tennessee forward Jarnell Stokes (5) defends against Vanderbilt guard Kedren Johnson (2) during the first half at Thompson-Boling Arena Saturday, March 3, 2012.  (ADAM BRIMER/NEWS SENTINEL)

Photo by Adam Brimer, copyright © 2012

Tennessee forward Jarnell Stokes (5) defends against Vanderbilt guard Kedren Johnson (2) during the first half at Thompson-Boling Arena Saturday, March 3, 2012. (ADAM BRIMER/NEWS SENTINEL)

NASHVILLE - There are a lot of opposing players Vanderbilt would rather see tonight than Tennessee’s Jarnell Stokes.

Perhaps someone who didn’t have the same rebound total on Saturday as the Commodores’ entire team had in an 81-59 blowout loss at Missouri.

Vanderbilt was physically whipped by the Tigers, who owned the boards 40-18, while the UT sophomore forward pulled down a career-high 18 rebounds to go with 15 points in a 54-53 home win over Alabama.

How can the Commodores (8-10, 2-4 SEC) cope with the size and strength advantage that Stokes and the Vols (10-8, 2-4) have at 6 tonight (ESPNU) at Thompson-Boling Arena?

Continue reading at The Tennessean

mocsandvolsfan writes:

What was the article about? I'm sorry but I was distracted by the ahem uh the superbowl car commercial that YES I in a weak moment digested. Kate Upton? Go Vols.

And Lord help me.

mocsandvolsfan writes:

I'm ok now. I went back and read the article and if Stokes shows up as strong as the last game I think we'll win. Several players gave some great minutes. Golden gave some good minutes and that would be great with Vandy.

I want to believe in the team but it's had some very weak moments that seem to be starting at the point. AGAIN with the point stuff. Just play ball!! I can't help it as I wanted to be a point guard. However my skills at handling the ball were laughable compared to any of these young men. BUT I COULD SHOOT. At least with players of comparable skills I could.

Show-me-your-TDs writes:

I just hope we get some quality officiating tonight

brod writes:

not a very good vandy team. must win.

born2ride writes:

UT - 67
Vandy - 45

8inarow writes:

in response to Show-me-your-TDs:

I just hope we get some quality officiating tonight

Vols always do.

ewhite#207432 writes:

in response to 8inarow:

Vols always do.

I just hope Conzo says something to the officials!

golfman1975 writes:

in response to 8inarow:

Vols always do.

How many examples of bad officiating do you need?

Ironcity writes:

Lets be honest Vandy lost UT did not win this game. While its amazing how bad we can play when the chips are on the line.

vol98champ writes:

in response to Ironcity:

You are right on. I said to myself at about the 7 minute mark and us up by 9 that now is when we begin to start loosing. I have to give them credit; they really tried to lose.

mocsandvolsfan writes:

in response to vol98champ:

I really want to argue with both of you. I REALLY do. But I don't really have an answer.

It's not an accident that teams are shooting high percentages against UT. We don't have any in your face guards other than Richardson.

McRae has potential. McBee can only do so much with an injury (and a lack of quickness). Moore is showing some potential. Edwards?? Don't know. Reese can shoot and I hope he learns to defend. The truth is we need Hubb's athleticism now. But it is what it is and we got lucky and won.

I'll take it.

mocsandvolsfan writes:

PS We did too win this game.hehe