James Franklin apologizes for calling Saban 'Nicky Satan'

NASHVILLE, Tenn. (AP) — Vanderbilt coach James Franklin has apologized to Alabama coach Nick Saban for calling him "Nicky Satan" at a high school banquet in Georgia.

School spokesman Larry Leathers confirmed Franklin called Saban on Wednesday afternoon to apologize.

The Vanderbilt coach spoke Monday night at the fall sports banquet for Central High in Macon, Ga., where linebacker Nigel Bowden is one of his top commitments. According to videotape from WMAZ-TV, Franklin said, "There's this guy in Alabama. I think his name is Nicky Satan. You guys have probably heard of him before. I'm going to outwork him. I'm going to outwork him. And that's kind of our plan every single day."

Franklin told The Tennessean his comment was meant strictly as a joke about a coach who has won four national championships.

Get Copyright Permissions © 2013, The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.

CoverOrange writes:

At least he didn't announce he was going to turn him in for a recruiting violation right then and there.

I'm sure Nick has heard it plenty of times before going back to elementary school.

PUL4VOLS writes:

Yeah old Franklin with classless jokes right out of the Twinky Kiffin playbook. It might be more of a joke for FrankyPanky to insist he is going to outwork Saban. That is laughable. It just sounds weird to hear this kind of junk from an Vanderbilt head football coach.

WetumpkaThumpa writes:

I guess he feels fine with calling Saban that, Vandy doesn't have to play the Gumps this year. But he will have to live with the risk of a Gump fan, a la Harvey Updike or Brain Downing coming after him or his family. They do some scary stuff in the name of the Bear and Alabubba football.

Colliervol writes:

Classic James. Can't keep that trap shut no matter how hard he tries. He'll leave or flame out. Take your pick. Either way Vandy ends up back where they always have been.

Hound_Dog69 writes:

I believe he also said he wouldn't hire an assisant before he saw what the guy's wife looked like first, this guy's a class act all the way!

rb4346 writes:

Seems like this guy just cannot keep his trap shut. Reminds me of a little Kiffie. Gnna run out of feet to put in his mouth. GBO!

pingkr62 writes:

What a tool!

Prostar writes:

Pretty bold comments from a Vandy coach who didn't play Bama this past yr. and won't next yr either. Hey Jimmy Boy, put your "Big Boy" britches on and schedule Bama every year and then brag about how you "outwork" someone.

VOLS_SEC_RULES writes:

Kiffin Jr.

LiveFaith writes:

I wonder what Franklin's handle is on GVX? I've seen him post it here before.

BIGORANGEdawgHATER writes:

Work SMARTER James not HARDER! One would
think someone from Vandy would already know that!

iowavol writes:

Talked to one of my co-workers in Ontario. He's an SC grad and he talked smack to me a few years ago when Kiffin was all the rave in SC. The other day, he said the alumni have jumped ships and are now calling for his head - glad daddy is gone and can't wait for little lane and big ed o to go. Sweet

underthehill writes:

in response to Colliervol:

I think if he was going to leave ..it would have been this year..since that didn't happen and Vandy does not have to disclose what he is paid..he must have got a pretty good deal to stay..

VolMoment writes:

Franklin is jerk. Goes after Georgia coach at mid field after the game year before last. He has no class like most of the spoiled Vandy students.

keepitreal4vols writes:

Who's James Franklin?

golfman1975 writes:

You just can't use the words "class" and "Commodores" in the same sentence...

golfman1975 writes:

in response to keepitreal4vols:

Who's James Franklin?

He flew a kite with a key on it in a thunderstorm...no...they told him to go fly a kite, got confused.

Witch_Doctors writes:

Witch Doctor sure Saban really offended by this.
"Coach, James Franklin is on the phone"
Saban "tell someone to take the call and pretend its me, why should I care what the "Vandy" coach calls me....you interrupted me for this?"
Bones never lie.

RollTideJoe writes:

in response to WetumpkaThumpa:

With all the problems with players, Cumberland Drive parties and clubs, stolen laptops, street fights, women driving to S. Carolina to high school recruits games, beating up off-duty cops, throwing beer bottles onto parked cars.......need I go on.......I wouldn't be badmouthing anyone else's program Thumpa! All the Saban sarcasms are nothing but jealousy.

claiborneh writes:

Don't apologize! I love it! Stand up, man up, be competitive against this over serious, stale, over sensitive, curmudgeon.

claiborneh writes:

Saban has the best recruits in the country. I'm not a coach but I bet I could stand on the sidelines and say nothing for four quarters and win most every game.
He should win because one with have to be atrocious to lose with the talent they are fielding.

jumby92 writes:

What a moron. This Franklin character just messed with the bull and now he's gonna get the horns. If I'm Saban, I smile and say "no big deal" but when Vandy comes to town, the starters are in for 60 minutes and we try to break 100. The good news is Franklin's 15 minutes are almost up.

laraccoon writes:

in response to claiborneh:

i agree , i thought it was a nice jab at Nicky ,why ruin it with an insincere apology !

tnvol4ever writes:

in response to keepitreal4vols:

Who's James Franklin?

Probably same thing Nicky said when he answered the phone.

dvols writes:

these days, an apolagy is the most insincere form of communication....

GBOEngineer writes:

Oh, I thought he apologized to Satan for calling Saban that name.

cltvol writes:

hey,,makes me kinda like the guy now

not for long though,,

ftblcoachc writes:

At least he didn't say he was "gonna work like heck".

oldvolsfan writes:

he and henderson at ole miss are both punks

Jakevol writes:

Frankin is a good coach which I repect, but he will need to think before moving his lips when speaking. Franklin has his team sold on his program as well as the whole university. Watch out for Vandy their getting better each year and are getting much better players than they have had in the past, who can also go to class.

VolFanInTheBoro (Inactive) writes:

in response to RollTideJoe:

Blowtidejoe, there were no Saban sarcasms in wetumpka's post. He much have hit a nerve

Ayres_Hall writes:

The Vandy blue bloods don't care enough for winning a few extra football games when Frankln is embarassing the school.

rtrchatt writes:

CNS ALWAYS goes out of his way to compliment the opponent and his professional colleagues.
Obviously when you are the best at what you do
these type of personal attacks follow. Roll Tide

ProfessionalHandicapper writes:

Franklin has that swagger Vandy has needed for years and right now Franklin owns a longer win streak than Saban. Vandy now has the longest winning streak in the SEC.. UT fans can scoff but there is no TEAM swagger in Knoxville like Franklin brings to the table. We saw Franklin sit Rodgers for an entire game and he got the message. The man has guts and is winning, bringing in upgrades , bringing in talent and beating UT like a drum. Plus bringing in Bowl money to the SEC something UT no longer does.

murrayvol writes:

in response to underthehill:

In the end it doesn't matter. If he has any sustained success, he'll get an offer he can't refuse from a school with a chance to actually win a conference championship.

Not knocking Vandy. That's just the way it is and the way it'll always be.

murrayvol writes:

in response to Witch_Doctors:

Witch Doctor sure Saban really offended by this.
"Coach, James Franklin is on the phone"
Bones never lie.

Exactly.

murrayvol writes:

in response to ProfessionalHandicapper:

And planning his next move.

atnvol#283282 writes:

Juvenile James Franklin.

VolFanInTheBoro (Inactive) writes:

in response to ProfessionalHandicapper:

ha ha Vandy bringing in bowl money. Commodores have only been to 6 bowls all time and have won 3. The money is rolling in bwahahaha

PUL4VOLS writes:

in response to ProfessionalHandicapper:

Wow,I'm just loving all that Vandy swagger PHC. That fabulous coach just has it all and heck the Commodoores have beaten the Vols what ONE in a row. Let him dominate Tennessee, let him compete for the SEC East year in and out then you and he can run your mouths. Meanwhile, he trashes a coach he seldom plays then apologizes?...Oh yeah, that's swagger for sure. Beat some really tough opponents with all those better players you now have, then come back and tell us what an amazing coach he is. Apologize, makes me think he just said it to stir a controversy. Swagger, indeed!

ALASKA_VOL writes:

Man, I wish the military would have offered something like that to us during Middle East deployments. Grease this many insurgents and get this much of a bonus. I kid of course, but come on, a bonus for breaking even?

Theo writes:

Just hysterical, the scrawny temporary coach at Vandy kicks sand in the face of the Gump's midget coach (who has no sense of humor).
Scrawny coach then gets so scared he calls and begs for forgiveness before the Gump HC pounds him into the dirt. If Franklin is still at Vandy in two years (I doubt it) Alabama will destroy Vandy. Oh yea, and I guess all the Gump fans will hang out at fast food restaurants looking to assault Vandy fans. West End Senior high better put guards on all the trees.
This made my day.

laraccoon writes:

in response to Witch_Doctors:

Witch Doctor sure Saban really offended by this.
"Coach, James Franklin is on the phone"
Bones never lie.

i know this is a little off subjet WD and a litlle intrusive but didnt you once say you were an ETSU alumnus ? i only ask because i recently accompanied my daughter on a campus tour for prospective new students and our guide was talking about the football rumors swirling about there and one in particular regarding a former UT employee lending a hand and helping reboot the football program there . was just wondering if you had heard any of that ?

ronburgundy (Inactive) writes:

What a moroon! Bet this guy really has the Vandy admin boys tugging at their bow ties wondering what will spew out of his pie hole next.

Witch_Doctors writes:

in response to laraccoon:

Witch Doctor say KNS posted a story on here about Fulmer said he would "help" anyway he could. Witch Doctor say thats about all Witch Doctor know since not allowed within 3000' of ETSU campus and forbidden of mentioning or wearing any ETSU apparel! Witch Doctor pretty sure they still love me though.
Bones never lie.

bUTch_please writes:

Earnest T. Bass never apologized for throwing a rock right through your window. Not once.

RealisticVol writes:

Cut James Kiffin Franklin some slack. Why should he apologize for a joke? We have completely lost our sense of humor in this country. That's the way it is when a dictator takes over and the political correctness police run rampant but we need a rebellion!

underthehill writes:

in response to amyinsparta:

Makes sense to me...some people can tell a joke ..some can't ..just as some can coach and some can't..wish UT had got Franklin instead of Dooley..

rocky_topper writes:

I'm so glad we don't have this DA for a coach!

kyvol98 writes:

in response to rocky_topper:

I'm so glad we don't have this DA for a coach!

Uh, I think you should apologize to all DA's for lumping this POS in their category.