Kamiko Williams makes most of first start in 2 years for Lady Vols, 88-45

Wade Payne/Associated Press

Photo by Wade Payne

Wade Payne/Associated Press Tennessee guard Kamiko Williams, right, works against Mississippi State guard Darriel Gaynor in the first half on Thursday at Thompson-Boling Arena.

Tennessee's Kamiko Williams didn't make an entrance Thursday night.

Her first start of the women's basketball season afforded her the opportunity to run through the tunnel. Instead, the Lady Vols senior guard took up her usual position at the edge of the court, greeting her teammates.

Holly Warlick on Lady Vols' win over Mississippi State

"I love doing the handshakes with the team and giving my friends hugs before the game," she said. "That's something I enjoy doing. I'd rather be out there."

Williams didn't forgo the chance to have a presence, however. She started stuffing her stat line with an assist on UT's first basket. She finished with 10 points and career-highs for rebounds (13) and steals (six). She matched her career high with six assists. She lent a busy hand to Tennessee's 88-45 SEC women's basketball victory over Mississippi State.

Before a Thompson-Boling Arena crowd generously listed at 13,011, Meighan Simmons scored a game-high 21 points. Taber Spani scored 15 and Bashaara Graves added 10. UT emptied its depleted bench against an overmatched opponent.

While center Isabelle Harrison sat out the game with a left knee injury, forward Cierra Burdick returned after missing eight games with a fractured right hand.

No. 9 Tennessee (17-4, 8-0 SEC) dominated all facets, including a 22-2 edge in fast-break points.

"They obviously didn't have a hangover from Monday," said Mississippi State coach Vic Schaefer, referencing UT's 77-67 loss to Notre Dame. "They came out and took the fight to us, especially in transition. They beat us up and down the floor from start to finish."

The Bulldogs' best response came from 6-foot-4 center Martha Alwal, who scored a team-high 16 points.

After talking with freshman Jasmine Jones, Tennessee coach Holly Warlick opted to start Williams in place of Harrison, who will have surgery today to address a lateral meniscus injury. Williams found out she was making her first start since her sophomore season from Spani during pregame warm-ups.

"She just told me to be ready," Williams said. "I just had to get my mind right."

Warlick had a tough time determining her favorite Williams' statistic. Her first love was the steals.

"She has a great presence on the defensive end, Warlick said, "and she can be one of our best defensive players."

Then she stopped herself and said, "let me back up."

Warlick eventually settled on Williams' 32 minutes, which were a season-high for her.

Warlick wasn't nearly as conflicted in summing up Williams' performance as "one of her best games since she's been here. That's our expectation for her. … She needs to put those numbers up every night for us to maintain and be consistent."

Burdick was happy to have any minutes after being sidelined since suffering her injury while doing extra work on New Year's Eve with former UT's men player Bobby Maze. She entered the game to a rousing ovation with 6:53 left in the first half.

"I was all smiles; smiling from ear to ear," Burdick said. "When basketball is your life since you were 5 years old and it gets taken away from you for a month, when you get to come back, all you can do is smile."

Burdick scored four points and grabbed five rebounds.

Nia Moore, who was tabbed for more playing time after Harrison's injury, overcame first-half foul trouble to log 12 minutes and score eight points.

Fellow reserve Jasmine Phillips matched her season high with nine minutes and set a new high with eight points.

Dan Fleser covers Tennessee women's basketball. Follow him at http://twitter.com/FleserKNS and http://blogs.knoxnews.com/fleser

Get Copyright Permissions © 2013, Knoxville News Sentinel Co.

Related Stories

8ball writes:

Always believed she could have been one of UT greatest if given the opportunity. Love her play.

voloffaith writes:

Type of score one would expect against overmatched lady bulldogettes. They have been on the wrong end of many stompings like this. Glad reserves got playing time as we are going to need all we can muster without Ms. Harrison in there to rebound and affect shots with her wingspan. Missouri is game where Ms. Harrison blocked several inside and pretty much negated what little inside game they look to. The 3 barrage is coming and at their house. Stay on them on and off the screens.

wigmeister writes:

Good shorthanded win. Happy to see the rest of the team pick up the slack. Hopefully Ciera will be back soon. Wish Izzy a quick recovery from her surgery.

Caspian writes:

in response to 8ball:

I totally agree with you. Kamiko plays under control, has a good handle, sees the court, can hit her shot, rebounds exceptionally well, good passer, keeps her cool. What's not to like? Seems like she got in Pat's doghouse early on and never fully recovered. I've believed for a long time that she should be starting at point.

SummittsCourt writes:

Another good team win. I like the hustle shown by the players until the final whistle.

VolInIndy writes:

in response to wigmeister:

Uh, never mind!

8ball writes:

in response to Caspian:

100% correct in everything you say..

underthehill writes:

in response to 8ball:

After being the only Lady Vol who looked like she belonged on the same floor with Baylor..I thought it might open some eyes..it didn't happen..Kamiko has WNBA talent..

maxvolfan#217855 writes:

If the Lady Vols can win out, they are in prime position to grab a 2 seed . Penn St are losers tonight and UK is in for a battle with UGa Sunday. Let's climb the rankings lady Vols!

underthehill writes:

in response to Caspian:

Kamiko on the floor gives the Lady Vols the best chance to beat the better teams..such as Notre Dame..she got on the floor after ND had a big lead..she helped the rally and was on the floor when the half ended..she did not start the 2nd half and the game was basically over when she got back in..makes no sense to me ..I don't care whose doghouse she got in..put your best players on the floor..Kamiko is one of ..if not the best ...on this team..

dwolfcreek#397971 writes:

Miss Williams has metally grown up , something our quarterback never did .

jt45 writes:

Good to see more minutes by Kamiko, she played a good game. I think JP played some good minutes off the bench as well.

Missouri beat out florida by 5 tonight in columbia and they will pumped when the LVs get to town.

Hope to see the LVs put another whooping on those show me state kittens in Columbia.

Theo writes:

in response to dwolfcreek#397971:

Miss Williams has metally grown up , something our quarterback never did .

And coming in from left field......

Theo writes:

So happy for Kamicko. Also glad we got to see a little something from JP and Nia. Getting the a lot of minutes over the next couple weeks would be a great thing (don't think we need to worry about that). I know the bullies were a little overmatched but I thought Nia and JP relaxed and made some very good plays. How about Cierra with the no look. Would you like mustard on that hotdog? Lol. We probably thought it was funny, state fans not so much.

Tuned in to the Vandy A&M game after the Lady Vols finished. Good grief that center for A&M is a very tall and sturdy kid. She will push Graves anyplace she wants too. We will need tag team rebounding in that one.

Volalum73 writes:

in response to carbonatedmilk:

Lots of us care, just not for your small minded worthless drivel.

frblalack writes:

Kamiko Rocks!!! Spani, Graves & sometimes Simmons (she does appear to be growing up finally) are the nucleus of a GREAT team.

When Harrison & Burdick return at full strength; the sky's the limit! Gotta love the play of Jasmine ... and Nia has untapped potential!

Final four...here we come!

All Vols!!!

GrandCanyonVol writes:

in response to underthehill:

I remember seeing Kamiko in her freshman year in her first game coming up the floor with the ball, and I said to my wife, "I don't know who #4 is, but she looks like a ballplayer." I was right and wonder why she has not played more. She knows how to play the game. Why was she in the dog house. Get her out please!

soitgoes12 writes:

Am I the only one who would rather see Kamiko start at point over Massengale? I'm not sure if Massengale is still dealing with some injury things herself but she looks SLOW. She might be one of the worst on the ball defenders for a point guard I've seen in a long time and she doesn't ever look to score unless she's wide open for 3. Watch Kamiko, Jasmine Jones ore Phillips play on the ball defense and then watch Massengale. The difference is astounding.

vol4life1983 writes:

Miko has been one of the best players on the team since she has been a Lady Vol! But it seemed to me that she was criticized more than any other player for any mistake she made. But she plays the best in big games to me due to her tight handle and great passing ability and alot of times they put her in way too late when we get down. And to me when Spani and simmons is not on their game(this usually happens against the top teams especially for Spani)they keep them in too long! I have been a miko fan from day one! This girl has all the talent in the world and if she chose any other team she would've been an all-american by now! They did the same to Wiley-gatewood and thats why she left UT but I am glad miko stuck around.

volsfaninsc writes:

in response to vol4life1983:

Wiley-Gatewood different situation. Go back and see what little she did at Maryland. Never developed as supposedly had attitude problem.

richvol writes:

Massingale,although not without talent,is nowhere near as talented as Kamiko. Has Massingale ever had six steals or fourteen rebounds in ANY game. Additionally,Massingale turns the ball over too much. If Holly is serious about winning let Kamiko play.

underthehill writes:

in response to vol4life1983:

Well stated and never more obvious than in the Notre Dame game..I could not believe it when Miko did not start the 2nd half and UT got down about 19 before she got back in..anyway..I hope she gets the chance to help the Lady Vols beat the wildkittens and go undefeated in the SEC..

tenecvol4 writes:

in response to GrandCanyonVol:

Kamiko has it all--smartest - coolest under fire --I cant understand why she hasnt started all year-- team functions so much better with her as the Floor General ette -- I dont see many bad passes as I see with Massengale and doesnt dribble right into trouble -- last night showed us what she is capable of - she is a GEM!! Rebounds- defends-scores- and assists --

BIVOLAR_BEARE writes:

in response to tenecvol4:

I agree, but you also have to take in account UT was playing against one of the worst WCB teams in the nation..Just a thought.

ps11824 writes:

It would be good, richvol, if they all had a better handle, and were fundamentally sound. Massengale is turnover prone, for sure, especially when she attempts to drive into traffic.

A&M will be a tough game. Kelsey Bone, TN tried to woo her; lost her to So. Carolina... right? She's a gamer. If she transferred, she has had an extra year sitting and learning. They are a solid team under Gary Blair who is a wise old sage of a coach.

RLL59 writes:

It appears that Kamiko was, unfortunately, on the receiving end of the punishment philosophy which became even more pronounced in recent years. The whole story may never come out, but the effects are still there this year as she remained a bench player until the Lady Vol coaches simply had no alternatives. Go figure.

underthehill writes:

in response to BIVOLAR_BEARE:

and you also have to take into account..how did she look against Baylor..and Notre Dame..just a thought..and how did the other Lady Vols look in these games..

BIVOLAR_BEARE writes:

in response to underthehill:

That's my point..Quality opponents have forced UT out of their game and unforced/forced turnovers have plagued this team so far. When they play against inferior competition flaws go undetected for the most part. However, I still see sloppy passing, poor ball handling and missed layups. They're not playing good fundamental BB.

underthehill writes:

in response to BIVOLAR_BEARE:

You make a good point..but when you say ..They're not playing good fundamental BB..They is not Miko..she does play very well against quality opponents..and it is because her talent level being on par with the quality opponents..

ModelMaker writes:

I think Kamiko is one of the better players on the team. I thought she did a great job. I thought her passing was terrific. Cierra Burdick did a good job passing the ball also and did a good job on the boards. I really liked the energy they showed throughout the game. I love it when they press. I hope Holly continues to press alot from now on because I think it is one of their strengths. The more I see Jasmine Phillips play the more I like her game. I hope Holly uses her more down the stretch as I think she could fit right in with a pressing team. The opponent not withstanding I thought they played really well.

BIVOLAR_BEARE writes:

in response to underthehill:

True, she disappears against length..But that's something that is hard to prepare for unless the athlete is used to playing against much longer players.

Theo writes:

I think Kamiko is great and hope she gets a lot more playing time. I do, however, feel that some posters have unduly criticized Ariel Massengale. I don't like comparing kids because each has their own strengths and weaknesses and also 99.9999% of us on here are not expert enough to discern the finer points.
But I'm doing a little bit of it anyway. Kamicko is a Senior, Ariel is a Sophomore. When Kamicko is on she is indeed more polished. She should be. The question now is can she be consistent. In the past Kamicko has struggled with her conditioning and that made her less consistent. Regarding rebounding Kamicko is asked to go to the basket, she is 6 inches taller than Ariel.
All that said, if Kamicko can be consistent I'm all for her starting. She brings a lot to the table. And as a senior she has developed an air of calm and confidence. None of this, however, is a slam on Ariel. She does a great job out top.

in response to Caspian:

All I can figure is that she is not a consistent practice player, and most coaches just can't stand that. They rightly want every player to practice hard every day and usually apportion playing time according to their practice habits. I don't know that this is the case with Kamiko, but when she plays like she did last night, admittedly against a serious underdog, you just have to go "Wow!" and wonder why she doesn't do it or get a chance to do it every night.

in response to ModelMaker:

I think with their thin numbers right now, they will have to be very judicious in using the press. It can be a great change of pace for any team and very effective in spots, but they don't have the numbers to commit to an all-out "40 minutes of hell" pressing game.

madrigal writes:

I was quite happy to see the end of the bench step up and do well. It was the first time I'd been able to actually see much of Nia and Jasmine Phillips since we don't get many Lady Vols games on TV here. Had to watch this online which is like watching through a glass of water, but it beat not seeing it. They both look like they can develop into good solid players, given some playing time, which they are now going to get. And what a night for Kamiko! So often the things she does are not things that show up on the box score. Glad she got there last night! It's pretty scary having such a short bench, but all the Lady Vols are quality players or they wouldn't be there in the first place. Wishing Izzy the best but I'm not hopeful that she'll be back until next season. Not if she needs surgery!

madrigal writes:

in response to carbonatedmilk:

Nobody cares what you think. Take your sour self back to the boys' page and stay there.

underthehill writes:

in response to johnlg00:

Other than this game..Miko played her best game against Baylor..a quality opponent..We had a guy in high school who was an all american practice player who couldn't play a lick in games..works both ways..but when you have a talented player like Miko..you need her on the floor for one reason..she gives you the best chance to win ball games...go back and look at a replay of the Notre Dame game..look at the beginning when Miko was not on the floor..look at the score at the end of the half when she was on the floor..look at the the first 5 minutes starting the 2nd half when she was not on the floor..how many coaches have you heard say the first 5 minutes at the beginning and the first 5 minutes after the half will decide who wins..not always the case but is true the vast majority of time..Kamiko is clearly the leader of this team when she is on the floor..I believe this team has a chance to go undefeated in the SEC and maybe surprise in the big show..but for that to happen..the faster and more talented players are going to have to be given the chance to help..

BIVOLAR_BEARE writes:

in response to johnlg00:

Nobody can, why do think Nolan Richardson's teams were never able to duplicate what his early 90's squads did? It's called 40 min of h3ll, but in reality it's 20 min of pressing strategically placed to make the opponent feel like they're under pressure to get the ball passed the timeline all game long. Also WBB doesn't use the 10 second rule to half court so pressing constantly in WBB usually leads to easy layups unless the team is very quick and keeps players back to guard against press failures. The old Pat Summitt teams would pick the right moment to press and trap the entry pass recipient in the corner or slap the pass away in the key. IMO, UT should press more especially when they have a quickness advantage like they did against Notre Dame.

RLL59 writes:

in response to underthehill:

I agree and hope that John is wrong about Kamiko not playing because she doesn't practice in a manner that suits the coaches. This isn't a rec league or an elementary school. Decisions should be made on logic, not emotion. If a player practices poorly and plays poorly in the game, it's one thing to minimize her playing time. Or if she causes problems among the other players, disciplinary actions may be called for. But determining playing time on how one does in practice versus how one plays in a game is lunacy. Can you imagine that thinking in the men's game?

ModelMaker writes:

in response to johnlg00:

You make a good point but I don't recall saying anything about pressing for 40 minutes. I think my comment was "pressing more than they have been. I think with Phillips rounding into form she will be able to spell other players. If she continues to play well they won't be as thin as you might think.

underthehill writes:

in response to RLL59:

Not speaking for John ..but I think he just threw that out as a possibility..John being perhaps the most interesting and knowledgeable poster on this site..in my opinion..can speak very well for himself..

RLL59 writes:

in response to underthehill:

I agree that John can speak for himself, so I don't understand the purpose of your response.

underthehill writes:

in response to RLL59:

It was probably not necessary..I think the point we were discussing was why Miko has not been on the floor more..and it seems most are puzzled by this ..to say the least..

DroopyDrawers writes:

in response to carbonatedmilk:

The entire Vol Nation does, you creep.

Theo writes:

in response to ModelMaker:

Agree about JP. I was pleasantly surprised with both she and Nia. Great time to get them game experience. Also, tough luck for JJ. "Her" fifth foul was definitely Kamikos.

pomp_and_circumstance writes:

Kimiko is the BEST player on the squad. MS offered little competition, but K. showed, to a greater extent, what she showed against those top 5 teams the LV faced. She wears no pretty ribbon on her hair. She is lean and very athletic. At 5'11" she rebounds as much as any taller LV. Most of her "moving" is silky smooth. Her court view is wide and her assist passing better than so-called point guards on the squad. Why she isn't on the floor 30 minutes a game is a mystery. Exactly what talent Massingale has, to be polished over time, is also a mystery.

SoddyVol writes:

Watching this game, I continued to be glad they were playing Miss State. They really needed a game where they had a chance to see what they can do, and will have to do, in replacing Harrison.

My young granddaughter said "That number 4 is a cool player", whatever that means? I think Kamikos problems started right to begin with. She may have thought she knew better how to play than the coaches. (Maybe with some urging from her dad, or so it was reported at the time.

volfan2002 writes:

I think she should have been a starter from the beginning of the season. We are just better with her in the lineup. I guess better late than never id a good saying.

jt45 writes:

in response to RLL59:

What punishment philosophy ? What story ? Im curious to know what your basing this assumption on.

RLL59 writes:

in response to jt45:

Suggestions have been made over time that Kamiko fell out of favor with the coaching staff early in her career, and that situation has persisted. The 'story' I refer to simply means that what really caused the issues hasn't been published and may not ever be. The 'punishment' philosophy was demonstrated over the past several years by putting a recalcitrant player on the bench and starting the last person on the bench, and playing her for a few minutes, and then removing her probably for the remainder of the game; an insult and an embarrassment to both players involved. Quick removal of a player from the game because of a mistake is another example. We've all witnessed these. Rumors are that players who don't play hard enough at practice don't get playing time regardless of their likely contributions during the actual games. These aren't necessarily wrong approaches; they are based on a philosophy that these actions result in better players...which one can argue for or against. Without a better or official explanation for Kamiko's playing time being less than less skilled players, some, including me, have speculated the 'dog house' explanation makes sense.