Vanderbilt-Tennessee rivalry strengthens with help from brothers

(Jae S. Lee / The Tennessean)

Garry Christopher was hired in June to be Vanderbilt men's basketball strength and conditioning coach. His brother has a similar job at Tennessee. (Jae S. Lee / The Tennessean)

Nicodemus Christopher

Photo by UT Athletics

Nicodemus Christopher

NASHVILLE — When Garry Christopher was hired as the Vanderbilt men’s basketball strength and conditioning coach last month, he got a phone call from his brother, Nicodemus.

He congratulated Garry on getting the job, but Nicodemus, who holds the same job at Tennessee, also wanted to talk a little smack.

“There was a little trash talking going on back and forth, of course,” Garry Christopher said. “I told him my boys would definitely be the stronger end of the court. And of course he asserted himself, telling me the same.”

Garry and Nicodemus Christopher spent their childhood competing in whatever they could find. Most nights, the brothers took to a dirt basketball court in the backyard of their San Diego home, pretending to be Michael Jordan or Karl Malone. Being the only brothers among seven siblings and separated by just 11 months, there was always something.

Continue reading at The Tennessean

MemphoVol writes:

Hey, we got the brother with the cooler name. We win.

ReeseHallRelic writes:

in response to shiftb:

ToddyBoi, the Vols won 2 out of 3 FOOTBALL games against Vandy during CDD's tenure. That makes it into a "rivalry" in your sad demented mind? Or is this just another opportunity for you to slam CDD one more time -- largely because, if you're not slamming Dooley or Hart, you have absolutely nothing of substance to say? On an article about the strength coaches of the BASKETBALL teams, you feel a Dooley comment is somehow on topic?

You're a fraud. A wannabe. A neverwas.

orangecountyvols writes:

in response to ReeseHallRelic:

You're a fraud. A wannabe. A neverwas.

Reese,

Great analysis of the little kid. Just a little punk kid who will never grow up.

He has a narrow minded agenda so don't expect much better from him.

ReeseHallRelic writes:

in response to shiftb:

Football = usually played outdoors on a large grass/turf field with 11 guys per side and a pointy ball.

Basketball = usually played indoors on a smaller wooden court with five guys per side and a round ball.

Even you should be able to discern the difference, Toddy....

EastTnVols962 writes:

in response to shiftb:

Seriously guy? Oh snap, I'm gonna talk smack without reading the article, and then make myself look like a jack arse in the process. Dang they called me out...ugh, ugh, Bama Hart, Gator Cheeks, blah blah blah. Just shut up dude. I have never seen you say anything of relevance in any article EVER on this site. Heck, you couldn't even stay on the right sport for this one. The worst day of your life is gonna be when UT sports are prominent again. Next time you wanna spew some nonsense, blow it out you arse instead. Ridiculous.

dillpic writes:

in response to shiftb:

If you actually studied UT history, you would know that the UT-Vandy rilvary is very old indeed. General Neyland - the person they named the stadium after - was hired to beat Vanderbilt. Since ignorance is bliss you must be very happy.

From this article, it would seem that UT did well to get EITHER of the Christopher brothers. They both seem to be rising stars in the S&C biz. I'm happy we have the one we do, but it would seem hard to go wrong with either one. Best wishes to both for long, successful careers.

EastTnVols962 writes:

in response to shiftb:

Listen man, I'm not in anyway saying he's a savior, and he has been here for the worst two year stretch of UT sports. But who fired Fulmer? Who hired Kiffin? Who hired Dooley? Who fired Pearl? And who hired Martin? And who put the athletic department in tremendous debt? I'll give you a hint, Hart is not the answer for any of the forementioned above. If you wanna slam Cheeks, by all means go ahead, I'll help. But I honestly don't think we have ENOUGH CONCLUSIVE evidence that Hart is tearing our AD apart. When you can show me actual facts, with sources showing how bad he's doing, not saying they don't exist, then I will believe you. Until then you're just being bitter. I don't know why I even respond to you, as I get on here everyday and see people making valid, documented statements in their argues against you, yet feeling your defeat, you just default to name calling and argue every single point EXCEPT the one you're supposed to be arguing. It's just sad.

ReeseHallRelic writes:

in response to shiftb:

Wel, at least you have found you way (with direction) to the correct SPORT. Now, if you could somehow limit your attention to the strength coaches actually discussed in the article, you'd finally be "on topic". But, of course, you can't....

By the way, Dave Hart is my "hero"? What ever gave you that mistaken notion? Because I don't feel an overwhelming need to bash him in every sentence I type, the way you do?

I wouldn't recognize Dave Hart if I tripped over him in the street. And no, I don't see any obvious correlation between his being the UT AD and the basketball team being one-and-done for two years in the NIT. Why not? Because I don't think that everything in UT sports ties back to Derek Dooley, Jimmy Cheek, or Dave Hart. Why? Because I have the ability to recognize that answers such as yours are overly simplistic and motivated by personal animus, for some unknown and unknowable reason.

In other words, you're a One Trick Pony, Toddy:

A fraud, a wannabe, and a neverwas.
Still, and always.

ReeseHallRelic writes:

Hey, I just had an idea, ToddyBoi -- maybe a suggestion for further thought by you:

If, somehow, in this article about Nicodemus Christopher, the strength coach for the UT mens basketball program, you could wangle in a slam on Jimmy Cheek, you'd qualify for the Irrelevant Trifecta.

mocsandvolsfan writes:

Dang I'm gonna have to read the article again!! Too many comments on here about other stuff.hehe It's a bit distracting.

WTG uhhh what's your name brothers doin' the training stuff that I personally know nothing about but admire it to heck.

Ok I got it now Nicodemous. I think. Sincerely think you're both great.