Jarnell Stokes scores seven in Team USA rout

Tennessee’s Jarnell Stokes scored seven points Tuesday afternoon as the USA Basketball Men’s Junior National team beat Australia, 94-51, in the FIBA U19 World Championships in Prague, Czech Republic.

Stokes, a rising junior, started and played seven minutes in the first half due to foul trouble. He finished with five rebounds and a steal in 10 total minutes of action.

“We played a very good team,” Stokes said in a UT release. “But luckily we probably played our best all-around game. We dictated tempo for almost the entire game.”

Team USA (5-0) will play Serbia (5-0) at 2:15 p.m. Wednesday to determine Group F’s top seed. The quarterfinals begin Friday, with semifinals on Saturday and the gold-medal game Sunday.

For the tournament, Stokes is averaging 7.2 points, 4.4 rebounds and 1.0 steal per game in 12.6 minutes of playing time, while shooting 70.4 percent (19-for-27) from the field.

He is 8-for-14 (57.1 percent) from the free-throw line.

Get Copyright Permissions © 2013, Knoxville News Sentinel Co.

mocsandvolsfan writes:

FREE THROWS STOKES!??

RockyTop1_old writes:

More...I want more...I want more...I want more....

Several thoughts occur to me as I look at those stats. I'll try not to burden the board's patience by droning on too long. (Fat chance, right?)

Jarnell seems to have been quite productive on a per-minute basis. The team is clearly outclassing its opposition, so it may be that his low number of minutes is because he is too much of a mismatch down low, so playing him more might look like rubbing it in--even more than they seem to be doing now. Or it may be that fouls have been limiting him all along. Either way, this experience hasn't shown that he is ready to be an indomitable force against great competition next year for more than a few minutes at a time.

The combination of 70% on field goals and 57% on free throws shows me that he isn't taking many jumpers--or maybe those are all his misses. Either way, I see no evidence so far that he will be any better from the line and the mid-range than he was last year.

The high FG% therefore means that he is putting up most of his shots inside, and rather effectively, too. However, it makes a big difference going forward whether he is just outmuscling skinny kids to put back offensive rebounds or if he is employing any classic post moves to get those good shots.

Let me be clear that I have a great deal of respect for Jarnell as a player and as a person. I want him to achieve his highest goals as a player. I just want him to show some tangible progress toward getting there. A player who wants to be great has to have a hunger to improve constantly. No matter what one thing a player excels at, a good opponent can find a way to neutralize that. You just have to keep coming up with new stuff when you play in a league where everybody knows what you do, both in the SEC and maybe later in the NBA.

Next year will be a loaded draft. Jarnell won't get a whole lot of respect in the draft, IMHO, unless he upgrades his game in several significant respects. There just is no significant role in today's NBA for a 6'8" post man who is a largely stationary rebounder, has minimal shot-blocking ability, and has no proven jump shot or free throw. Of course, he may not be planning to go pro before he graduates. I would be good with that!

rclarkvols#224537 writes:

in response to johnlg00:

Ever heard of David West, Elton Brand, Zach Randolph, Carlos Boozer. The NBA is full of 6'8" post men who are stationary rebounders with minimal shot blocking ability. They may not be superstars but they are solid contributors as Stokes will be. He is only 19 years old and doing what his coach is asking him to do. That doesn't mean that all he is capable of doing.

All of those guys you mentioned have both reliable mid-range jumpers and an ability to maneuver for their own shots. Stokes at present has neither. No player can do everything required by his position equally well. Or it could be said that there are a number of ways to play a particular position. Yet, if you look at the types of things you want from an inside player, I can't say which of them Stokes does better than any of those guys you mentioned. And yes, if he wants to join those guys, he needs to be able to measure up to them to some degree.

Look, I LIKE Jarnell. He seems smart, nice-looking, personable, big and strong if not mean, with a ton of potential. I don't care if he has learned the skills I, humbly, think he needs by now, I just hope he picks something to DOMINATE at while getting as good as possible at everything else. He was a 5-star recruit; he is supposed to be an All-American.

rclarkvols#224537 writes:

in response to johnlg00:

Try playing on a team without a point quard who can penetrate and no reliable outside shooters and no other scoring option in the post where the defense can collapse on you with two and sometimes three people nearly every time you touch the ball and I don't care how many stars you have you won't be able to display your skills and after a while frustration sets in so you are rushing when you do get the ball. Jarnell has proven to be unguardable one on one and he did show a mid range shot when he first came to us but coach Martin has asked him to stay in the post last season which he did. Watch and see what happens when Maymon comes back and if Hubbs and or Thompson can score how the floor will open up and Jarnell will dominate as he does when one person tries to guard him.
Much more one on one in the NBA

Just my opinion

mocsandvolsfan writes:

in response to rclarkvols#224537:

Much more one on one in the NBA

Just my opinion

Stop you're both right. somewhat. I definately think Stokes will shine more this next year with Maymon back. I also think Maymon will shine working with Stokes. But I hope nobody is an all by himself machine. The success with this next team will depend on playing together.imho

Stokes needs to get mean. With a smile. Forget about fouling and go to the basket. He also will add 6-10 points every game he shoots 70% free throws. He WILL be fouled. Like you said no one can guard him one on one. If they do though then he needs to look for a teammate. THAT will be much easier this coming year.

mocsandvolsfan writes:

in response to johnlg00:

Actually a good post. If Stokes reads this it should be a motivator. Stokes never looked NBA ready last year except maybe when he was able to play one on one. He DID look like a great rebounder for the NBA. But he needs to really use his free time working and not wasting it on un-useful summer leagues/teams.IMHO He showed a lot of little flaws last year. Granted he was double and triple teamed. NOT to mention bullied by those teams with refs for the most part allowing it. But he also got to do a little of that himself at times.

It'll be fun watching him develop this year. I think he needs another year after this and I'm not being selfish in that statement. Not completely selfish. We'll have to see how he does this winter and spring.