Butch Jones says Eric Gordon's status has not changed

Georgia's Malcolm Mitchell (26) is tackled by Tennessee's Eric Gordon (24) as he fields a punt in the first half of an NCAA college football game in Athens, Ga., on Saturday, Sept. 29, 2012. (AP Photo/John Bazemore)

Photo by John Bazemore

Troubled senior defensive back Eric Gordon is not a part of Tennessee’s football team, but coach Butch Jones and the Vols have not severed ties with Gordon completely.

Responding to a USA Today report that said Gordon had been dropped from the 2013 team, Jones told the News Sentinel on Friday that there had been no recent change in Gordon’s status.

“He has not been reinstated to the team,” Jones said.

Gordon, a fifth-year senior from Nashville who was one of UT’s top options at nickelback, was away from the team during spring while he contended with personal and medical issues. Although he was never formally removed from the roster, his chances of returning to the team have been considered slim for months.

Jones told the News Sentinel his main concern is supporting Gordon through his personal issues.

“We’re supportive of Eric and want to help him get things in order,” Jones said.

Get Copyright Permissions © 2013, Knoxville News Sentinel Co.

BrassMonkey writes:

Come on Eric get it together. This is more than enough chances

tovolny writes:

Is it something Eric did, or is he a victim of circumstances? Maybe KNS should sit back and wait and not jump to false conclusions. KNS should keep an eye on it, but when something is published, the lynch mob mentality of some posters can just blow things out of proportion.

We need Eric's talent and experience on the field. So far it seems to me that Coach Jones is handling the situation. Doggies that are dragged back to the herd often are the better of the stock. In other words, we should let the ones familiar with the situation evaluate and reconcile this problem.

antonio14313 writes:

C'mon fellow Burrow, get it together! Our Vols could definitely use ya...

go vols.

t

antonio14313 writes:

in response to antonio14313:

C'mon fellow Burrow, get it together! Our Vols could definitely use ya...

go vols.

t

Burros. Oops. Lol.

t

antonio14313 writes:

in response to tovolny:

I wish we knew exactly what it was. I do know one thing tho: if he were on any other team, like a Florida or Alabama, he'd still be actively on the team. ;)

Coach Jones seems to be handling the situation as best as possible...

Go Vols!

t

fratricide08 writes:

Life does happen outside of football. We're so used to hearing about the bad things players do or failed drug tests (and honestly non-PEDs shouldn't even be tested for let alone punished) that we forget that anything could be the reason for whatever is going on.

Being that age is tough for many reasons even though most of us forget that. Classes are stressful, relationships can be explosive and dramatic we laugh about them in retrospect but they hurt bad at the time, a lot of us experience the death or deaths of grandparents, some of us become so introspective about who we really are and where we want to be in the future that we fall into depression or we start to doubt ourselves and depression and anxiety sets in, we start to realize that dreams are harder to achieve than we thought and wonder if we can do it, and so much more.

In short, give the kid a break and stop assuming he's done something awful based upon the bad things others have done. If you wanna throw stones look in Vandy's direction because they have a real problem on their hands that will blow-up the second those guys are charged and named.

Show-me-your-TDs writes:

Well ...it's looking very bad for are boy ...maybe he will spiral out of control ...or he will see the light...it's his choice

Fall_Creek_Vols writes:

in response to antonio14313:

Burros. Oops. Lol.

t

Which brings to mind an old joke:

A burro is an arse. A burrow is a hole in the ground. We're supposed to know the difference.

CroKev writes:

in response to 9willbesofine:

At least he did not murder someone and shoot a bartender in the face...

mongobfairchild writes:

in response to CroKev:

At least he did not murder someone and shoot a bartender in the face...

Well if that's the bar.....

brokendownoldvol writes:

Hope he comes back. He was always a play maker.

flatrock writes:

Required meds zap Eric's energy...docs say he must take them to manage his condition...nothing sinister here-just pray that right balance can be reached so that young man can get back to playing the game he enjoys so much...Go Vols!

volhome writes:

in response to fratricide08:

Gotta totally disagree on the PED stance. Anyone on any level that stoops so low as to use substances that can kill them later while temporarily improving their athletic prowess do not get the entire reason for competing. Be it man on man or team versus team, finding those that prepare the best on a level playing field is what these young men need to learn. When the don't make a pro roster, and jet's admit it, almost all won't, they do not need to have developed a habit of trying to get an unethical edge on the competition. There are no PEDs for the business world, so learn the lesson in football, and apply it to life.

SevenT writes:

in response to antonio14313:

C'mon fellow Burrow, get it together! Our Vols could definitely use ya...

go vols.

t

The Vol Fan could care less about character or off the field issues if you are a good football player. It is all about winning to Vol Fan. Pathetic

utvolfan1955 writes:

in response to 9willbesofine:

I'm not a pot stirring, no life troll like you little zz. I can throw all the stones I want

utvolfan1955 writes:

in response to SevenT:

You're right. You are pathetic

Witch_Doctors writes:

Witch Doctor wonder if this might be pootang related?(Jungle disease that make young warriors act stupid and do dumb stuff)? Witch Doctor say if so Witch Doctor wish young man best...Witch Doctor a survivor.
Bones never lie.

Olddogsrule writes:

in response to SevenT:

The boldfaced lie of a Kentucky fan who supports the One&Done prima donna concept in basketball and could care less about the concept of scholar/athlete.

Volunteer fans do care about character. We care very much and are hopeful Butch Jones and staff will turn the Volunteer football program from a sad trend that seems to be across the board in NCAA and pros.

Nothing I've read indicates Eric has anything but a personal issue to deal with. Let's hope for the best for Eric and give him all our encouragement.

BIVOLAR_BEARE writes:

If Gordon can't do right by Jones he needs to stay off of the team. There's a new man in charge now.

BIVOLAR_BEARE writes:

in response to Witch_Doctors:

Bones never lie.

Too funny..I spit my oatmeal across the table when i read that.lol

CantStandCantStandSaban writes:

Would CBJ be Gordon's fourth coach in five years? Was he a Kiffin or Fulmer recruit? Just curious if anybody remembers who recruited him.

Vol43 writes:

in response to SevenT:

seven teeth, you once told me you were a Vol fan if I remember correctly. What is it with you anyway? Do you know what you are besides confused?

Witch_Doctors writes:

in response to BIVOLAR_BEARE:

Too funny..I spit my oatmeal across the table when i read that.lol

Witch Doctor say not to mention side effects....lol.
Bones never lie.

BIVOLAR_BEARE writes:

in response to Vol43:

I know what he is and i have preparation H for it.

Vol43 writes:

in response to BIVOLAR_BEARE:

I know what he is and i have preparation H for it.

Aint that the truth!! Rain in Music City, lots and lots of it.

BIVOLAR_BEARE writes:

in response to Crafty_Commodore_4118:

Brett, i guess it has to do with a bad egg spoils the carton or in VU's plight, 4 bad eggs corrupted the whole crate.

Vol43 writes:

in response to BIVOLAR_BEARE:

I know what he is and i have preparation H for it.

BB, I'm stoked about this Dillon Bates get. Man, this could really open the flood gates. I realize we have a very tough schedule and the going is gonna be rough. I just hope this recruiting class will hold together. I realize we may lose one or two, but if this thing holds together, we could be in pretty good shape in spite of the fact we lose so many players next year.

lemme_axya_this writes:

in response to Vol43:

Is it possible he's kept seven teeth this long? I'm not convinced. Maybe he should go by SixT or SingleT{ooth} now.

BIVOLAR_BEARE writes:

in response to Vol43:

Aint that the truth!! Rain in Music City, lots and lots of it.

Weather stinks 100 miles West also..At least the 4th had decent weather.

BIVOLAR_BEARE writes:

in response to Vol43:

Yep, this class is shaping up nicely and to think UT only had like 2 commits at this time last year. The schedule only gets tough for two week spurts, other than UO, UF, and Bammer i'm not intimidated by any other opponents on the schedule. It's going to be interesting to see how Jones handles his teams if UT loses their first two road games. Are we men or are we mice?? GBO!!

Vol43 writes:

in response to BIVOLAR_BEARE:

Weather stinks 100 miles West also..At least the 4th had decent weather.

Rained steady on the 4th. Ruined lots of back yard BBQ's.

Vol43 writes:

in response to BIVOLAR_BEARE:

I'm a guilty as any of drinkin the big orange koolaid, but I really like what I see in Coach Butch and an upset or two wouldn't surprise me at all. Coach of the year SEC? Could be.

Tonkin1 writes:

Sorry.. young, stupid, etc, etc...Many wish they had the talent or more importantly the money to afford such a luxury education that is offered to these players who in my mind should learn to appreciate the opportunity! By doing so, this means to not do stupid things or be a thug. Not saying Eric is a thug but something has happened and it effects the entire TEAM.

Vol43 writes:

in response to Crafty_Commodore_4118:

fratricide08 writes:

in response to volhome:

We're on the same page with PEDS... What I meant when I said "non-PEDS" is those drugs that aren't PEDs shouldn't be tested for but PEDs should be. IOW, I don't think these guys should be tested for pot since it doesn't enhance performance and is even legal in a few states but I do think they should be tested for PEDs.

BIVOLAR_BEARE writes:

in response to fratricide08:

Very good point, but what job can you work and go around stoned all the time?? This does teach them responsibility/accountability if nothing else.

murrayvol writes:

in response to Vol43:

A KNS employee? I think so.

Vol43 writes:

in response to murrayvol:

A KNS employee? I think so.

Yeah Murray, probably so just to juice up the site and that's ok. I like what Ima seeing and I'm sure you are too. Go Vols! Can't wait.

Ironvols writes:

Eric Gordon has been a liability in pass coverage forever. The thought of his pro-longed career with Tennessee is irritating.

not_guilty writes:

in response to antonio14313:

Burros. Oops. Lol.

t

A burro is an as$. A burrow is a hole in the ground.

I am glad that (most) fellow Vols fans know the difference.

tennrich1 writes:

in response to Crafty_Commodore_4118:

Now this boy must have a set of tater tots the size of Nashville if he's a commodore....silly boy!!!

fratricide08 writes:

in response to BIVOLAR_BEARE:

Well this is college not a job and a whole lot of students are smoking weed or trying it.

That said, a lot of white collar professional jobs don't drug test employees, especially beyond day one but many don't test at all. Blue collar jobs where machinery and serious injuries can happen tend to test a whole lot more. However, most employers would not put up with you being at work stoned (unless you're on Wall Street where several companies have had it come out that employees were openly using coke in the old days and meth as recent the financial crisis -- all with a blind eye turned so long as the work gets done). BUT being stoned at work which the vast majority would not tolerate including myself (despite the exceptions noted above) isn't the same as what you do with your off-time.

I don't care if someone is drunk at home or stoned at home so long as they're sober at work and are good workers. However, if their work starts to suffer, I'm gonna be concerned no matter what drug or issue it is. And if I were their boss I might even say to them get your alcohol use/drug use under control or if it's bad enough 'go to rehab or you may well end up being fired because your work is taking a serious hit.'

That's JMO. I don't use drugs and only drink on very rare occasions but I really don't care what people do on their own time so long as they're sober at work, they do their jobs, and do their drugs/drinking at home without threatening the safety of anyone else.

GerryOP writes:

in response to tennrich1:

He's really a Commodore 64. Sorry! Many of you are too young to get that one!

utvolfan1955 writes:

in response to murrayvol:

A KNS employee? I think so.

Crafty is his co-worker at the KNS

Olddogsrule writes:

in response to GerryOP:

He's really a Commodore 64. Sorry! Many of you are too young to get that one!

Chuckle ... so true

A Commodedoor with an 8 bit CPU an only three executable programs on the wore out floppy he obsesses over like Golem over The Ring. He never got the benefit of any of the advances in computing command structure, so he recursively cycles through the only routines his com file will initiate.

volspullvacuum.exe
dooleypullsvacuum.exe
volfanspullvacuum.exe

All of them as full of bugs as the hair on his head.

He'll be relegated to a 4 bit purgatory where there is only the sneakernet and sports are impossible.

BIVOLAR_BEARE writes:

in response to GerryOP:

He's really a Commodore 64. Sorry! Many of you are too young to get that one!

Now that was funny..

Olddogsrule writes:

Back to Eric Gordon's status, I've not read anywhere that Eric has failed drug tests, there are other off the field issues in his life. Let's wish him well in all his efforts.

BIVOLAR_BEARE writes:

in response to fratricide08:

Not to be picky but college supposedly prepares students for the real world. If you are showing up for class stoned or God forbid football games (playing under the influence) your production will not be on par with other student/athletes and your class work/production will suffer. I was a member of Pi Kappa Alpha back in the 80's, many of my Pike buddies smoked pot and carried on without problems, but things were different then. Now, businesses hiring young interns from college are more interested in their background while they attended college. One failed drug screen in college may haunt you for quite a long while.

murrayvol writes:

in response to Vol43:

This gig with Butch & Co. could be "the beginning of a beautiful friendship".

I sure hope so. The Vol Nation could use an uptick. GBO

fratricide08 writes:

in response to BIVOLAR_BEARE:

Good points. It's much harder to be a kid/young adult today with so much scrutiny and everything you've ever done on record (a real shame in my opinion). Hopefully, people will practice what they preach in terms of forgiving others of slip-ups in the past.

We're going to be in real trouble when the next generation all has some knock against them since everything's been recorded if we don't learn to be a little more forgiving and less self-righteous.