Jannah Tucker won't play for Lady Vols

Jannah Tucker

Photo by Jen Rynda

Jannah Tucker

Tennessee will be missing a women’s basketball freshman for next season.

Jannah Tucker won’t be enrolling at UT due to personal reasons, Lady Vols coach Holly Warlick announced in a school release Saturday night. Warlick was traveling late Saturday night and couldn’t be reached for further comment.

Tucker, a 6-foot guard from Randallstown, Md., was expected to begin the second session of summer school on Monday along with freshmen Mercedes Russell and Jordan Reynolds, who have arrived in Knoxville.

Lady Vols assistant coach Dean Lockwood, who recruited Tucker, was at a loss to explain Tucker’s about-face. He said Tucker had been in communication with fellow assistants Kyra Elzy and Jolette Law within the last three weeks about attending summer school.

“I have no answer for her thought process and the turn of events,” Lockwood said late Saturday.

Tucker verbally committed to Tennessee in June of 2012 but reopened her commitment for a brief period during the fall. She eventually signed a letter of intent with UT during the fall signing period. Lockwood is unaware if another school is under consideration by Tucker.

“There’s been no mention of any other schools,” Lockwood said.

Tucker was ranked No. 8 in the 2013 recruiting class by ESPN. She averaged nearly 30 points per game as a junior at New Town High. She missed her senior season because of a knee injury.

Tucker’s decision reduces UT’s ranks to 10 players for next season. Guard Jasmine Phillips decided to leave after the spring semester in search of more playing time at another school.

Get Copyright Permissions © 2013, Knoxville News Sentinel Co.

ElizabethtonvolnNC writes:

Was a little wishy-washy during her recruitment. I never like the "personal reasons" reason.

kazoo writes:

Oh, my: This hurts--she's supposed to be a very good player. I wonder what's up with her.

oldster writes:

in response to kazoo:

If she was not ready to commit 100% to the Lady Vols, it is better that she goes somewhere else now, for everybody.

movol53 writes:

So is there anyone that is good enough to be a Lady Vol available???? We are going to have a short bench again like last year. How about Jr college??? The last couple we got from that level turned out to be pretty good. I'll hang up and listen.

PureOrange writes:

Better to find out now she is not dedicated to the Lady Vols than later. Only want ladies who really want to be here.

reg_mza#219136 writes:

Personal reasons = pregnant? Possible. Finding out one is pregnant comes out of the blue and without warning and makes you have to change up completely what you planned on doing in the near future. Stay tuned.

snowpeapod#263184 writes:

Who knows what goes on in the mind of an 18 year old? There could be a very simple explanation. There's no need for everyone to jump to conclusions. It'll all come out in time. In the meantime, it's sad for the Lady Vol team and our fans.

SummittsCourt writes:

This is very disappointing news which leaves the Lady Vols short handed again. If the injury bug hits it can derail a very good season. Her timing is just awful as there just isn't time enough to find a replacement for her roster spot.

orangecountyvols writes:

in response to SummittsCourt:

Summitts C,

Agree. Seems every year the L V's start out with a small roster. We know about the injuries which always seem to plague them, but to start out with a short roster in the beginning anyway is a little confusing. This places a huge demand on the ones who do play.

One season, with a couple of walkons for some depth, Pat had 15 on the roster. Gotta' find someone who can come in and replace this young lady.

BigBadVol writes:

Since she signed a loi, will she have to sit out a season?

volfan2002 writes:

At least we still have a balanced roster with Massengale and Carter at the point. Simmons and Reynolds at the two, Burdick and Jones at the three, Graves and Moore at the four, and Russell and Harrison at the five. Every position has a solid backup but an injury or two would certainly take a toll.

voloffaith writes:

in response to reg_mza#219136:

Just saw your time of post and............anyway major stretch on the with child thing. She went to a private Christian school if memory serves me correctly. Yes those things can happen there as well, but not as likely. Think is funny that you jump there right away b4 other reasons. Injury not 100%.....tired of bball.....just to name a few.........anyway best wishes for Ms. Tucker with her life.................

Volinflan writes:

It's the time of year that a lot of us fanatics watch, boards, twitters etc to catch news of developments in recruiting. This was not the kind we wanted to see. A good shooting guard was going to be much needed on this fall's team.

If there is a silver lining, maybe it will clear up the situation for some guards that are strongly considering Tennessee. Of course that could go bad also. For sure Tennessee will need to fill most of those 6 scholarships now available. It will be interesting as more news comes up about this. I think she'll sit out a year and go to Rutgers.

voloffaith writes:

in response to reg_mza#219136:

Glad that is clarified now............Eric Gordon has personal reasons so he must be pregnant by your estimation...........jeepers Eddie just stick to telling the Beave's mom she has a lovely housecoat..........

keepitreal4vols writes:

in response to reg_mza#219136:

That's some great investigative journalism skills you have. And to think you broke the story before anyone else knew about it. Thanks for digging up the TRUTH.

BIVOLAR_BEARE writes:

This hurts..

madrigal writes:

in response to BigBadVol:

Since she signed a loi, will she have to sit out a season?

She never played a game and isn't enrolled in school, so I think not.

UConn fans are already gloating that Tennessee "has its very own Delle Donne." That hurts worse than not having her, because we already have good guards in Carter and Massengale. I worry more about the short bench and injuries.

ModelMaker writes:

Anytime you lose the 8th ranked player in the Nation your going to feel it down the road. I just think it was very inconsiderate of her to wait this long. The coach's and all the fans were counting on her to play next fall. I think everyone has the right to know why she is not coming. I think that is the least she can do.

Prostar writes:

in response to madrigal:

She never played a game and isn't enrolled in school, so I think not.

Doesn't matter, she signed a LOI and unless the Lady Vols release her from that letter she will have to sit. This late in the game I would not be inclined to release her given the lack of communication and the flimsy excuses.

reg_mza#219136 writes:

in response to voloffaith:

I jump there because high schoolers having sex isn't uncommon. I jump there because it came out of nowhere, there were plans of signing up for a second summer school session, the coaching staff never saw it coming and are shocked, and that no indications were given to the announcement. In any case, no matter what the age, when someone changes their mind so quickly when plans were already being made, it usually has "health" written all over it. I dare not say some illness struck her that made her change her decision or some health concern that struck her family. If not that, then why not consider pregnancy as much as anything else? It definitely wasn't academics or financial concerns and I can't see that it was her desire to shun the LVs for greener pastures. I just don't see that so it was something abrupt and we'll find out sooner or later.

Razor784 writes:

in response to ModelMaker:

Totally agree, due to the way she did it, I hope she's like Wiley-Gatewood from a few years back and she fizzles out and we never hear anything from her.

chattabluetick writes:

She owes a very good explanation to receive a release. If not to Vols liking make her sit a year. Getting tired of players of all sports pulling this phooey and leaving teams holding the bag, unless due to a family hardship of some kind. Players should stop signing L.O.I. if not sure. It makes no sense to sign to make a splash on ESPN and then not take it serious. Watch out for Geno or Mulkey laying in the weeds on this and she just wants to transfer.

BIVOLAR_BEARE writes:

in response to Prostar:

Unless she attends class she can walk..

chattabluetick writes:

in response to BIVOLAR_BEARE:

Unless she attends class she can walk..

Really, thought it was a binding agreement. Thats news to me.

chattabluetick writes:

Commitment one thing but I thought when signed letter of intent comes off fax machine they are bound to that university untill they complete their eligibility or they receive a release from said university.

hufstedler02 writes:

in response to BIVOLAR_BEARE:

Unless she attends class she can walk..

Actually,no she can't. The LOI is binding. She can't just "walk". She will have to sit out.

BIVOLAR_BEARE writes:

in response to chattabluetick:

Really, thought it was a binding agreement. Thats news to me.

That's right, remember the Kiffin/Orgeron debacle telling UT's recruits to not attend class when Lane decided to bolt to USC. That's the reason why he tried that tactic, because attending class verifies enrollment and anyone who had already attended class like Tyler Bray (started that Spring) would have to sit a year.

Mama_Also_Calls_Me_Precious writes:

This is just total bs that tucker is pulling. 1st she decommits from a verbal, now months later she waits to the last minute and does this. I mean it was hard enough to stomach what kaela Davis did, now we get the shaft from tucker. maybe this is all a big misunderstanding and tucker will still enroll for the regular session, but this article really makes it seem permanent. Holly dean and the rest of the staff must be privately fuming at this news, not to mention being in total shock. at least we still have Russell, Reynolds and the rest of our uber talented roster and we will still be very very good, but we really needed a pure shooter like tucker, especially going up against the elite teams.

Mama_Also_Calls_Me_Precious writes:

in response to BIVOLAR_BEARE:

Well if that's case, then maybe kaela Davis sees this and reconsiders us over g tech. not very likely, but possible

BIVOLAR_BEARE writes:

in response to Mama_Also_Calls_Me_Precious:

That's an interesting thought..Holly should be re-recruiting her as we speak.

Mama_Also_Calls_Me_Precious writes:

in response to Razor784:

She prolly end up being a superstar wherever she ends up. Before she tore her acl, she was ranked as high as #4. she avg 30 pts per game in high school. This is a real tough loss for us if this holds up. Not to mention the fact that she can play some really really good defense, which is something we sorely need.

Mama_Also_Calls_Me_Precious writes:

in response to BIVOLAR_BEARE:

That's an interesting thought..Holly should be re-recruiting her as we speak.

If we could somehow get Davis back that would make me feel so much better about losing tucker. Lets keep our fingers crossed

madrigal writes:

I wonder if Daddy Dearest didn't have something to do with this. I've never trusted him since he pulled that "decommitment" business. And speaking of parents from hell, you don't want Kaela Davis. Not if you ever watched "Real Housewives of Atlanta". Uh-uh. No way. That's her mom on there.

jjk writes:

It must be deeply personal if she's suddenly decommitting. Maybe someone has something incriminating on her and she is being blackmailed, or like someone commented, she could be pregnant. I would hope not, because how stupid do you have to be to put yourself in that position?

Or better yet, Geno could have whispered in her ear. I wouldn't put it past him.

Mama_Also_Calls_Me_Precious writes:

in response to madrigal:

I agree with you. I always thought it was a little shady of him to pull her verbal before he even got the facts. I just find all of his mind boggling. Supposedly our coaches had a great relationship with tucker. this just bums me out :(. I really wanted to watch her play. I've watched a lot of footage of her, Davis, Linnae Harper and I just think she was the better guard of those two, especially on defense.

ReeseHallRelic writes:

in response to BIVOLAR_BEARE:

Don't know for sure, but I think the signed LOI would mean she'd have to sit the 2013-2014 season.

The thing with Kiffen and Bray et al was a little worse. They had all signed LOIs, so they would have had to sit out a year before transferring anyway. But if they attended a class at UT, they were then committed to UT for that year and they would have had to sit out another (transfer) year if they wanted to go to USC.

But I'm far from an expert on NCAA matters... thankfully.

Current_State_of_Affairs writes:

Why are 'personal reasons' so often offered up as the explanation for such actions and they don't just come out with it, instead?

ModelMaker writes:

in response to BIVOLAR_BEARE:

That's an interesting thought..Holly should be re-recruiting her as we speak.

I agree with both you and Precious. I noticed that Davis did not sign with Tech until after Tucker signed with Tennessee. I think that if Tucker did not sign with Tennessee we might have gotten Davis. It looked to me like Davis was just waiting to see if Tucker was going to sign before she made her decision.

UTFAN1993 writes:

Hope Holly is visiting Columbia,S.C.a few times to recruit A'ja .
Can shoot from 10-20, but can play inside.Wants a school that will play her outside though. She doesn't need to end up at USC or on an ACC team like UNC.Class of '14

BreatheUT writes:

in response to Mama_Also_Calls_Me_Precious:

Agreed, imo big loss. Versatile, skilled and tough. The staff already was working with less than a full roster and we have seen from last year that we need some more weapons on offense and defense. I'm not sure with the injury if she was ready to play this year but it would be nice if this was just a big misunderstanding. I believe the best thing to do is to wish her the best. Now if we find out "certain" sneaky programs were in the middle of this, then that would be the only reason for me personally to be irate and change my tune.

As always...."Go Vols!"

snowpeapod#263184 writes:

in response to ModelMaker:

If anyone on the U.T. campus tries to re recruit Kaela Davis it would be helpful if their initials were A. J.

takespix writes:

She will be wearing green and gold of Baylor next year.

Mama_Also_Calls_Me_Precious writes:

in response to Crafty_Commodore_4118:

Well holly did something doolander never did and that was win the sec. holly will win it again this year, plus the sec tournament, with or without tucker. I'm not being a homer, they just have that much talent. Vandy will be a decent team, but prolly won't finish better than third or fourth.

chipmurphy461 writes:

I've heard there's nothing crazier than a teenage girl or a pregnant woman.

utvolfan1955 writes:

in response to Crafty_Commodore_4118:

You are a KNS employee in a skirt

madrigal writes:

in response to Crafty_Commodore_4118:

Stay on your own board and quit with the schadenfreude (go look that up if you don't know what it is) already. Your team's best years are behind them along with Foster. Melanie Balcomb's best teams wore an X on their shirts.

snowpeapod#263184 writes:

People,people, people, please quit responding to idiots. You may get your point across but what will it prove, they'll still be idiots.

maxvolfan#217855 writes:

in response to madrigal:

I wanted KD to be a lady Vols also but in her defense. I think the reason she wanted to go to GT is to be closer to home and her doctor. She has a slight medical issue.

Central_IL_Vol writes:

in response to Crafty_Commodore_4118:

And how far did the Candy girls make it in the Tourney, HUM???

I have a suggestion where you can stick that anchor. Go back to the yacht club and swill more alcohol, you need it!

ps11824 writes:

We will be fine. I think we are better off if she takes leave sooner than later citing "whatever reasons" a wishy-washy recruit may conjure up. Should have been a yellow flag the first time she backed out. Doubt she will ever be a delle Donne, who was definitely worth fighting for - but, if a kid is so unsure about such as this, how could she ever gain the trust of her coaches and teammates?