Jarnell Stokes a golden boy once again as Team USA beats Serbia for the FIBA U19 World Championship

Tennessee's Jarnell Stokes (5) drives to the basket against Arkansas' Coty Carke (4) during the first half an NCAA college basketball game in Fayetteville, Ark., Saturday, Feb. 2, 2013. (AP Photo/Gareth Patterson)

Jarnell Stokes has spent his recent summers picking up medals to tote back to Knoxville.

The Tennessee men’s basketball player scored four points and grabbed four rebounds in 14 minutes as the USA Junior National Team defeated Serbia 82-68 Sunday to win gold in the 2013 FIBA U19 World Championship at O2 Arena in Prague, Czech Republic.

Last summer, Stokes was apart of the USA’s win in the U18 FIBA Americas Championship in Brazil.

“It’s surreal to be able to win another gold knowing where I came from,” Stokes said. “I was blessed to be able to start for this team, and I’m honored to win the gold not only for the whole state of Tennessee but for the entire country.”

A starter in all nine games, Stokes averaged 7.2 points and 4.6 rebounds.

Two of his toughest games came against Serbia, but the same could be said for the entire U.S. team. The Serbs once again challenged Team USA on Sunday after testing them in the second round. The U.S. led by just six points at the end of the third quarter but outscored Serbia 25-17 over the final 10 minutes.

Get Copyright Permissions © 2013, Knoxville News Sentinel Co.

SummittsCourt writes:

Congrats to all! Best news for me is that Stokes didn't get injured.

Olddogsrule writes:

USA!

phhome writes:

in response to notfunanymore:

I don't think so loser, go find yourself a deep hole and jump in it, we certainly don't need clown's like you that constantly want to bring down our athletes and coaches that want to be at UT. Go troll on another site BOZO!!!

sly_stone99#434111 writes:

Congrats to Stokes and his team mates for bringing home the gold. As for the haters you do know it makes you sound unpatriotic.

Orangeblood13 writes:

great job

mocsandvolsfan writes:

Good job USA and wtg Stokes.

He should be well-rested for second-session workouts. The Vols can't win big this year without at least a good year from Stokes. I had hoped this would be a situation for him to dominate. There are so many imponderables in an "all-star" situation like this that we can't draw any useful conclusions from it on Jarnell's progress as a player, but I'm not sure this was the best possible use of his time.

It won't matter if he hasn't shown much progress this summer, but I really hope he shows some by the time the season rolls around. I am not a Stokes "hater". I am very much a fan. I just want him to be the best he can be and progress enough as a player to lead a dominant Vol team and make a nice career in the NBA. But he has some way to go to be that player.

voloffaith writes:

in response to notfunanymore:

Hey unhumorousongoing..........Referenced as "Golden Boy" since back to back Gold Medals.......that is really sad that I had to explain...........no joy in your life and all is dismal? Been that way for years? Jesus Christ is the liberator of the down and out the world doesn't care for...............

BigOrangeFreak writes:

"Stokes got a constituency!"

Colliervol writes:

in response to notfunanymore:

He'll be making more money down the road than that Waffle House check you're drawing junior. Now who did you say was the joke?

underthehill writes:

in response to johnlg00:

I haven't seen anything you have commented on that would indicate you are a "hater" of any Vol..in any sport..and I am like you..I hope Stokes and all Vols become the best they can be..and I think Stokes will.. I see Stokes as a role player..rather than a leader..and I see his role as being a dominant rebounder who needs to get better at scoring when he gets offensive rebounds and running the floor better when he gets rebounds on the defensive end..Stokes ..as I see it..is far from reaching his potential..

ktownddy writes:

Most athletes are 19 the first day they show up on campus. He's ahead by my account...

mocsandvolsfan writes:

in response to underthehill:

ktownddy makes the point he's only 19! 5*s doesn't mean that much to kids as far as knowing how to live up to the hype. In many eyes he should have been pro-ready when he stepped on campus. But really only a minority of even the 5* kids make NBA(I confess I don't know the %). I think John's making that point well. He needs another year after this one to develop. But he probably won't take it. I know I'd take the money and run. I guess.

But we're all very happy he's here while he's here!

in response to mocsandvolsfan:

But we're all very happy he's here while he's here!

Good comments by you and UTH. Most people on here don't pay much attention to the NBA, but, believe me, the skill level is just off the charts. It is easy to criticize the effort and execution in any random mid-season game, even for the elite teams. But in the playoffs, you see that it takes more than talent to become a champion. It is REALLY HARD to be a good pro basketball player. Not many players of any size or physical gifts can succeed in all of the roles of a pro basketball player.

So it is not necessarily a slam on Jarnell to say that, right now at least, he is a "role player". That is NOT a bad thing, IF you can DOMINATE in your role. You can't be just OK at many skills, you have to be GREAT at something. I hope Jarnell truly WANTS to be great bad enough to really discipline himself and continue to improve as a player. As many have said, he is young yet, and not too many guys as young as he is have EVER made it in the NBA. As far as I can tell, he really doesn't have to improve much to be a great PERSON.

VolGrad writes:

Stokes was "apart" of the win.... C'mon KNS. :)

I just can't wait to see him playing with Maymon back this next season.

GBO!

in response to VolGrad:

Stokes was "apart" of the win.... C'mon KNS. :)

I just can't wait to see him playing with Maymon back this next season.

GBO!

I hope it'll be all we, uh, hope it will be! I really, really hope they have spent some time working out together, coordinating cuts and screens and high-low passes. Two skilled players who are consciously working in synch with each other are MUCH better than the sum of the parts.

For the Vols' sake this year and for their pro futures, both Maymon and Stokes are going to have to show themselves as comfortable handling the ball at least as far out as the key area. They are going to have to show a consistent ability to deliver and receive passes in the post. Ideally, both would have a reliable stand-still jumper from the key area and at least one reliable and effective power move from the mid-post area and one from each block. If they do, the college basketball world will be stood on its ear!

mocsandvolsfan writes:

in response to johnlg00:

I think as a team we'll be fine. But as future pros they do need to be great their last years in college. Maymon needs to not get injured. He can't take another year off. The scouts have already stopped drooling. Stokes seemed at times to be taking the day off in some of the games last year. Granted players hanging off each arm and another slapping at the ball is hard for anyone to handle. Stokes won't have that excuse this coming year. As for Maymon he will end up overseas if he has to overcome an injury this year.

Remember Stokes first jumper? All net!? I think he can do it. Maymon?? Don't even remember him ever shooting any...that he made. He may have tho'.

The receiving passes thing? NOW maybe they'll get passes that are easier to handle. But Bigs gotta be able to catch for sure. Even the heat.

in response to mocsandvolsfan:

For the most part, my hopes for the skills that Maymon and Stokes should perfect are based on things I have already seen them do to some extent.

There is nothing wrong with Stokes' shooting stroke when he bothers to shoot it with proper form; he knows the right form, he just doesn't have the total setup routine he needs to make it automatic.

Maymon needs to be the driving, slashing force he was when he put 32 and 20 on Memphis, as I recall--though it may have been Duke; don't care to look it up. Anyway, Maymon had his FT% at a pretty respectable level for awhile, so he has the foundation for as good a perimeter jumper as he cares to develop. If he also proves adept at getting Jarnell the ball in good position and providing the opposition with somebody else they have to work on to keep off the boards, the Vols could be scary good.