Fulmer, Bowden, players to relive Vols' Fiesta Bowl win over Florida State

Tennessee coach Phil Fulmer celebrates winning the National Championship Jan. 4, 1999, at the Fiesta Bowl in Tempe, Ariz. (Michael Patrick/News Sentinel)

Photo by KNS Archive, Knoxville News Sentinel

If you’d like to hear the inside stories on Tennessee’s Fiesta Bowl win over Florida State for the national championship, here’s your chance.

Coaches Phillip Fulmer and Bobby Bowden and some of their players from that 1999 Fiesta Bowl game will be at the Tennessee Theatre on Aug. 9 for “An Evening for Champions.’’

The event is to benefit St. Jude Children’s Research Hospital.

The evening will include video highlights of UT’s 1998 season and 23-16 win over Florida State in the Fiesta bowl that followed. There will be commentary from coaches, players and celebrity guests.

Tickets are $52. To order, call (615) 760-8023 or visit www.stjude.org/eveningforchampions.

Get Copyright Permissions © 2013, Knoxville News Sentinel Co.

MetroplexMojo writes:

What a cool idea and what an incredible charity.

For those that have never heard him speak, Coach Bowden is really an entertaining speaker. I bet Bowden will throw out a dadgummit or two when replaying the Goodrich INTs.

antonio14313 writes:

SUCH a great game!!! i still have it on VHS.

go vols!!!

t

Sunshine27 writes:

Does anyone think we lose that game if Fla St 1st team QB s not hurt and unable to play? No one was happier than I with that win but I was not impressed with Fulmers play calling. I know Sanders was OC but I'm sure Fulmer was holding back the reins most f the night.

Witch_Doctors writes:

Witch Doctor say such a great memory...Witch Doctor say Peerless Price broke that tackle on the 78yd(?) pass for TD Witch Doctor accidentally threw cheese dip all over Witch Doctors wifes head...Witch Doctor say such great memory..ahhh
Bones never lie.

Sunshine27 writes:

I meant hurt and not able to play.

MetroplexMojo writes:

in response to Witch_Doctors:

Bones never lie.

I had you pegged as more of a salsa person. Would think that Witch Doctors blend of spices and herbs would mesh better with salsa than queso.

Witch_Doctors writes:

in response to MetroplexMojo:

Witch Doctor NEVER once said DIDNT love Salsa! Witch Doctor love all foods!
Bones never lie.
lol

Sunshine27 writes:

tovolny writes:

in response to Sunshine27:

The play calling was done by Sanders with input by Fulmer I suppose. But, HEY, the "play calling" was right-on as far as I am concerned. The thing that I hate the worst about that game was that Cutcliffe lit out for Ole Miss when we needed him the most. Had he stayed, he would probably been able to do a better job at recruiting players other than QB's. He let the players down, the fans down, and himself down. Coach Cut was probably the reason that Peyton Manning came to UT. He held Peyton back and played too conservative for the Florida loses. He went to a bowl against Nebraska unprepared. And, you can't "what if" history, just the future. However, what if Lewis had been in in good physical condition in 1997...back to back NC's most likely.

GerryOP writes:

in response to Yazoo:

C'mon dude, stop looking for fault. He only asked a few questions that many of us asked, he wasn't taking shots at Fulmer. Or, is that you Vicki?

And I am not taking shots either, but I will always remember what Vicki reportedly asked Phil on the way back from Tempe. It was something like "It will never get any better than this. You are at the pinnacle of your profession. Have you considered retiring?" Maybe he will at the end of the August 9th evening!

Anyway, it would be interesting to watch Phil and Bobby reminisce. If I was closer to K'town, I live over 800 miles away, I would be there!

Sunshine27 writes:

in response to tovolny:

Excellent comment.

GerryOP writes:

For me, that victory was a part of one of the greatest runs of championships in my life. My Vols won the '98 BCS Championship, my Denver Broncos won the '97 and '98 Super Bowls, and my NY Yankees won the '98 and '99 World Series'! It was a good few years for me!

sitinhere writes:

in response to Sunshine27:

I do believe this 2nd string QB beat Florida. That night I don't care who QB was for FSU, Al and the boys were on a mission.

ReeseHallRelic writes:

in response to Witch_Doctors:

Bones never lie.

The statute of limitations has run out, so I can tell you my memory of that play, Witchie, and it didn't involve your lady....

I held my breath, waiting for a flag, because I thought Peerless Price pushed off the DB.....

ReeseHallRelic writes:

Do Jeffy, ToddyBoi, and Brett get comped for this event?

GerryOP writes:

in response to sitinhere:

Likewise, it probably did not matter what plays Fulmer and Sanders called that night. Tee and Al carried that team on their shoulders all the way to victory.

Actually they drove that team all year, starting with the 1st game at Syracuse. I "heard" that the worst thing a team mate wanted to hear was a knock on the door and a message ... "Al wants to see you -- out back."

GerryOP writes:

in response to ReeseHallRelic:

Do Jeffy, ToddyBoi, and Brett get comped for this event?

They probably have KNS Press Passes.

ReeseHallRelic writes:

in response to GerryOP:

They probably have KNS Press Passes.

+1 I yield to my superiors.

Witch_Doctors writes:

in response to ReeseHallRelic:

Witch Doctor also admit Witch Doctor pushed off getting into line for Hot wings that night and didnt get flagged either(yea PP with hand-check..good play by WR...IF you dont get caught!). Witch Doctor say beautiful memories....Witch Doctor reminisce ...ahh those were some good wings.
Bones never lie.

GerryOP writes:

in response to Witch_Doctors:

Bones never lie.

Sheesh WD! I've heard it called a lot of things, but never "... some good wings." Let me try this, I think I know who you're talking about. She was "... some good wings." Yeah! That works!

cltvol writes:

in response to Sunshine27:

we would have sacked, hit, or hurried Weinke 25 times,,score could have been worse. The 2nd stringer was a little harder to catch. We were better team that year.

Witch_Doctors writes:

in response to GerryOP:

Witch Doctor say no Witch Doctor really talking about Hot Wings...coated in delicious sauce with right blend of seasoning and spices..maybe Vols winning N.C. made them better but still Witch Doctor say ....they were awesome! Witch Doctor now make that sound Homer Simpson makes when he talk about donuts..ahhhhhgggggg. lol
Bones never lie.

GerryOP writes:

in response to Witch_Doctors:

Bones never lie.

Yup! "... some good wings." I think I know her...

goldengate writes:

I can remember the pre-game show for the UT/FSU game and it seems that all the talking heads could talk about was "the Rooster", Marcus Outzen, FSU's QB. Alice in Chains' song "Rooster" was the song playing in the background as the ABC guys played up Outzen and how he was elevated to folk hero status at FSU for his performance against Florida, and for leading the 'noles in Weinke's absence.

As the game played out, I didn't hear any more silly rooster references as the Tennessee defense limited Outzen, Peter Warrick, and the FSU offense to around 250 yards. Heck, even UT's punter David Leaverton could trump Warrick as evidenced by his open field tackle of Warrick on a punt return, thwarting an almost certain TD.

Another memorable aspect of the game was that it was the last behind the mike for John Ward and Bill Anderson. They made every game memorable, but especially this one!

Go Vols!

CoverOrange writes:

Y'all might have forgotten that Outzen was the third stringer and that the strength of FSU was their defense just as ours was. So probably the only difference would have been that Goodrich doesn't snare that pick 6. Rookie mistake by the QB.

AllforTenn writes:

in response to GerryOP:

And the Lady Vols bb team won their 3rd consecutive NC.

GerryOP writes:

in response to AllforTenn:

And the Lady Vols bb team won their 3rd consecutive NC.

Great! Thanks! It was a greater year!

iowavol writes:

in response to Sunshine27:

rockytopwestone writes:

In many ways Coach Fulmer was a great Coach but his biggest problem was that many times he was just to conservative in his play calling. It won him some games but it cost him some too ! In his hayday many of his players were so talented they simply overcame the play calling. But win it comes to the National Championship Season AL WILSON had more to do with it than any coach on the staff !

rockytopwestone writes:

in response to billyvolsfan:

Yes they are very scared !

Colliervol writes:

in response to billyvolsfan:

Nope. Just not worth discussing anymore. It's ancient history now and realistic fans only care about the future. Only losers dwell on the past. Next subject.

Vols4Ever writes:

in response to Colliervol:

Hope you've just made an impervious comment when you relegated history and our tradition as only for realistic fans. We've had momentous victories and painful defeats in the recent past, near past and for the last 100 years, just as will occur in this century. I've witnessed many of both and hope to see many more.

Winning the 1st BCS Championship was momentous, especially after the Carrier Dome and Donovan, overtime against the Gators in Neyland, and Clint putting the ball on the ground when all seemed lost.

The General's unscored, undefeated teams, 1951, Sugar Bowl against the 'Cheating Canes, et. al are our legacy, not ancient history.

GerryOP writes:

in response to Vols4Ever:

Our history is why we proudly support our Vols. We have reasons to be proud.

utvolfan1955 writes:

in response to RarerThanUnicornMilk:

looks like mooncalf has returned

ActualUTAlum writes:

in response to Sunshine27:

Does anyone think that would've mattered if Jamal Lewis was available? Who would've contributed more...a future all-Pro or Chris Weinke? People forget about Lewis.

LiveFaith writes:

in response to Sunshine27:

Ironic. Just watched this on YouTube last night.

If "ifs and buts" ... ? Nobody will ever know, but why not say "How bad would we have stomped them if Jamal Lewis had not been hurt requiring us to play 2 freshmen RBs"?

Fulmer didn't do the play calling. Sanders did. Fulmer may have vetoed to interjected some. Announcers said coaches told them they were sending Tee to the line with a run & pass play on every down, for the first time that season.

Not impressed? Did you really pay attention to who we played that night? That was BY FAR the most dominant defense in college football in 1998. FSU played a bit lesser schedule, but their defense was stacked and ranked 1 or 2 nationally in all important categories. Cheese Henry called it the best D we played all year.
Our coaches schemed and our offense executed a victory by putting up 16 points to go with the Ds 7.

Since were all into ifs and buts, what @ the fact that Peerless let a bomb bounce off his chest for a lost TD (thats -7 pts), Henry laid one on the ground inside the FSU 30 (that's -3 we'll say), Henry laid another one on the ground inside the FSU 10 on 1st down iirc (that's -7 more), star Jeff Hall missed a chip shot 35yd FG (-3 more), and Hall had an XP blocked (-1). Those NON-scheming errors were all justifed "correct" calls by the OC / HC. Yet the player error cost us 21 points. 21 more. How does 44-16 sound?

For a cherry on top add to all this the fact that Fulmer bucked all conventional wisdom and "TOOK POINTS OFF THE BOARD" when he traded an early Hall FG (roughed) for a shot at a TD. A TD coaches schemed us quickly to.

Too conservative? How about if/but FSU pick-sixes us after Fulmer takes the points off, gets the early mo, then wins the game 23-16 the other way. Would you be part of the herd that called him Foolmore for the dumbest decision in UT history for "taking away the points"? That aint "too conservative", that was confidence to take away 3 points against the best D in 1998, because you believe you can add four more to it. And he did it! Kahunas the size of coconuts in the NC game!

Is was a absolutely PERFECT game plan. We won and went undefeated! Would say the same if it had been a 3-2 victory.

tovolny writes:

Well, now I wish they would cancel this shin-dig. Gray shaded memories of us posters have clouded my memories. THE MAIN THING IS: WE WON...y i p p e e! ! ! !

tnvol34 writes:

in response to Sunshine27:

We won the game didn't we?

lstbodeanvol writes:

in response to Sunshine27:

we didn't have Jamal Lewis!!! besides the media thought all FSU needed to beat us was Peter Warrick but he disappeared

lstbodeanvol writes:

in response to sitinhere:

agree with you on this one....if this is part the discussion then anger the crimson tree poisoners with the if Colt McCoy had played the whole game against Bama...Texas wins

SevenT writes:

Vol Fan had to wait about about 40 years post Neyland for the master Phil Fulmer to guide UT to the top only to see the program get wrecked by the idiot Administration.

Hope the anti-Fulmer crowd enjoys losing

Just Saying

BigBadVol writes:

The guy brings another title to Knoxville and we have people complaining about the way he did it. Wow. So many ignorant people on here it's embarrassing.

MetroplexMojo writes:

A bit of perspective for those posting their "agenda" on a article about a fundraiser to cure childhood cancer...

As bad as the UT fanbase has had it since 2008, the patients and families at St. Jude have had it much worse. Al Wilson had a son that was diagnosed with cancer a few years back. Many of the treatments used today at hospitals nationwide were pioneered at St. Jude.

Olddogsrule writes:

in response to RarerThanUnicornMilk:

It was past yer breakfast when you posted. When you were done wi' yer post, I'm sure yer mommy helped you out of yer 15 year old orange jammies thet she'd delicately embroidered "Peyton" 'cross the hinny an into yer ragged unwashed #16 jersey.

Now wash yer hands an eat yer Wheaties like a good boy.

gwavescVOL writes:

in response to Sunshine27:

I think we would have won that game no matter what, after the Arkansas game it was destiny. If I remember correctly Cut left for Ole Miss right before the NC game and the story was he scripted the first quarter

Olddogsrule writes:

On topic, Pediatrics is, at times, surely one of the most heart wrenching of all medical specialties. My son tells me Pediatric Oncology certainly is. The doctors and staff of St. Judes get up everyday and attack virtually insurmountable odds and give hope to children, family, and friends of critically ill children. And their research has beaten back the darkness on many fronts. They deserve our prayers and support.

Go to this event, know that your dollars are well spent.

If you can't go, donate here, now.

antonio14313 writes:

in response to MetroplexMojo:

i would think that witch doctor was more of a blend of black beans, corn, onion, tomato, cheese like dip. ;)

hopefully the wife wasn't too mad! lol...

t

MetroplexMojo writes:

in response to Olddogsrule:

Go to this event, know that your dollars are well spent.

If you can't go, donate here, now.

Great post....

I'd like to add one additional comment. For those individuals that donate to St. Jude (or any charity), double check with your employer to see if they match employee's gifts to qualified charities. Most large companies have some type of matching gift program. It's a great way to double a gift to a great charity with minimal additional paperwork involved.

volsxsnos writes:

in response to Sunshine27:

Yeah......and IF a frog had wings, he wouldn't bump his butt and he would still be a frog. Philip Fulmer is the only coach in recent history to bring a football championship to Rocky Top. I think that statement speaks for itself.

CrankE writes:

FSU's 3rd string QB!?

The press told us about how Marcus Outzen was "indomitable." Why? Wait for it... Because he led FSU to a victory over UF at the end of the 1998 season.

In the run up to that game, the press made absolutely no excuses for FSU's QB situation. None. Most of them picked FSU to win that game. It was only AFTER the game that they turned into what I call, "Seminole Apologists" and began pouring out excuses and apologies for the Seminoles rather than credit for UT.