Lenoir City's Jaylond Woods more recognizable since committing to Tennessee

Vols' commitmnet Jaylond Woods

MARYVILLE — Lenoir City High School junior athlete Jaylond Woods said Saturday that his life has changed since committing to Tennessee in April.

His Twitter follower count spiked, and he is recognized more often.

“It’s been normal until I get out in public. It’s just weird because everybody knows me now,” Woods said while participating in the 7-on-7 Perimeter Passing Day at Maryville College. “But it feels good.”

Woods made 50 tackles and four interceptions last season as a defensive back. But he had 405 rushing yards, 540 receiving yards, 11 rushing touchdowns and eight receiving. He isn’t sure what he’ll play at Tennessee, he said.

“They (the Tennessee coaches) still argue for me being offense or defense,” said Woods. “I went to two camps up there, and I was doing mainly offense.”

Woods will camp at Tennessee on July 21 and at Ohio State on July 26.

“I told (Tennessee) Coach (Butch) Jones that I still wanted to do all the camps and stuff and recruiting business,” said Woods. “The only team that would possibly — not surely, but possibly — change my mind would be Ohio State.”

Get Copyright Permissions © 2013, Knoxville News Sentinel Co.

allvol32 writes:

No offense to Ohio State but I don't understand how a kid from TN who also apparently loves UT would have any interest in OSU...

sameolvolalum writes:

Urbie has some sly ways of luring commits. Let's hope young Mr. Woods has been made aware of his disingenuous dealings. If he won't take bribes he'll stick with the Big Orange. BTW: Mr Kaplan, et al deftly removed my admonishment of his staff for allowing the carrying on of a certain Vanderbilt fan and the equally moronic troll baiters, who re-posted his crappage just to get a shallow word in. Did anyone happen to read my post before it was removed from the article RE: filling Neyland Stadium (as will most likely this one, too)? In spite of the gestapo.....GBO!

wononta writes:

in response to sameolvolalum:

"whew" Sometimes navagating this site works me like a rented mule.
Ok, I read your posting as I have several of the type. They always get removed. I guess the mods dont like it when somebody tells them how to run their buisness.
I read these forums and rarely post because I find it impossible to carry on anything that resembles a decent conversation. The trolls, the troll responders, the spelling police, the grammer police, the ignorant arguers, ect.
While sometimes amusing, the back and forth pis*ing contests are juvenile, and I honestly cant imagine why anyone would want to contribute.
But I will say this much and be done. Any fan of any team who has nothing better to do than log on to a UT board just to spew derogatory venom could not possibly say anything that I would dignify by responding.

oldster writes:

in response to allvol32:

Because the competition in the Big 10 and the rest of Ohio State's schedule would put them in contention for the National Championship by just being better than average in the SEC, kids would want to go there.

ClassicVol (Inactive) writes:

You lost me on that one young man. Just go on to Ohio State.

mogreer_tn#213464 writes:

If someone could change you mind then you are not committed. I would love to see him here but not worried about it.

You want to be here or you don't; I respect and accept those that want to take visit etc. Just wait to commit after the fact.

PHAT_VOL writes:

Go where your heart is. If its Ohio St. by all means go there. If your not a hundred percent VOL then you shouldn't wear the Orange. It will be interesting to see where Coach Meyer is four years from now. The large percentage of Florida Fans go off the deep end just by mentioning his name. I wish you the best Jaylond.

GO VOLS !!!

in response to mogreer_tn#213464:

A decent, measured response more of us would do well to emulate when a local kid wavers. There is hardly any way for a high-school kid to have the same kinds of associations with UT football that fans have, especially older ones. A choice of where to go to school to play football is HUGE in the life of a young man. He has much to ponder before making a final decision; he certainly would be looking at a lot of things if he is the kind of serious, thoughtful, competitive kid we think he is. So let's just hope he makes the decision that leads to his future happiness and that he pleases us at the same time. But no pressure, young man....

BigBadVol writes:

Please just go to OSU. Very low character to make that statement. Should keep that to yourself.

BigBadVol writes:

in response to Crafty_Commodore_4118:

Win a couple of games in 30 years and you are bragging! LOL! Simply pathetic.

Enki_Amenra writes:

in response to ClassicVol:

You lost me on that one young man. Just go on to Ohio State.

I agree, I was lost on 'Ohio State' and it seems like a lot of readers also agree.

Hopefully this boy will learn a lesson from this. Nothing you say during an interview matters if you mention, in the slightest, potential interest in another program - especially when the program is headed by the former coach of a longtime conference rival.

He seems to like the small amount of fame he is getting from his association with the University of Tennessee Volunteers' football program. However, any more allusive comments and he may also get to experience the 'dark side' of the VolNation.

If you are not 100% on your college destination, why commit? Is it to secure a scholarship, in case everything else falls through? Maybe... maybe not.

Hopefully this kid will learn how a seemingly small and passing comment can explode when it's viewed under a microscope by a large group or fanbase.

Either way it goes, I do hope he ends up in the best place for him, where ever that may be.

BolivrBob writes:

So I'm all Vol UNLESS Ohio St. Offers. We can live without this dude. That statement sends a message to other possible commits.

SoFlaVol writes:

I had the same reaction to the Ohio State comment by this kid that many other commenters had. If you're mind isn't made up, why did you make a commitment? These kids don't understand the meaning of commitment. Pull his offer, then let him enjoy the recruiting process without the offer from UT in his pocket.

SoFlaVol writes:

in response to BolivrBob:

Looks like we had the same thought at the same time.

usafvol writes:

in response to Crafty_Commodore_4118:

You're sooo pitiful. I'll bet the one game the eggheads from vandy beat us is about the biggest thing in your sorrowful life. Bet you're looking forward to 20 years from now when you guys beat us again!

volistic writes:

in response to wononta:

"whew" Sometimes navagating this site works me like a rented mule.

Well said. The posters I get most irritated with are the ones who respond to the people who pretend to be fans of other schools (the trolls). A real Florida or bama fan is not going to spend every waking moment on a UT site. These are just people trying to get attention by coming on a UT site and running down UT. It kills me to see all these posters rewarding them by giving them the attention they seek.

Enki_Amenra writes:

in response to Crafty_Commodore_4118:

Reality hurts sometimes? How about you step into reality long enough to read this comment.

A Brief History of the Tennessee v. Vanderbilt football rivalry (for those with amnesia, selective memory, or simple ignorance):

Total Games:
107

Series Record:
Tennessee leads 73-29-5

Longest Win Streak:
Tennessee 22 (1983-2004)

Current Streak:
Vanderbilt 1

UT's most recent win streak (22 games) includes Tennessee's 1994 stomping of Vanderbilt 65-0.

"Since 1928, Tennessee has dominated the rivalry with numerous win streaks and has a record of 71–10–2 against Vanderbilt."

It may be easier to understand like this; Every time Tennessee wins 7.1 games, Vanderbilt ekes out a single victory.

Tennessee is 34-4 dating from the last time a Tennessee Volunteers v. Vanderbilt Commodores contest ended in a tie (1974).

Modern era stats. (1990-present)

21 or more points scored in a UT v. VU game from 1990 until present:
Tennessee - 18 times
Vanderbilt - 7 times

35 or more points during the same time period
Tennessee - 10 times
Vanderbilt - 1 times

# of times held to 0 points
Tennessee - 0 (not held scoreless since 1964)
Vanderbilt - 6 times

# of times held below 15 points
Tennessee - 2
Vanderbilt - 14

Total Points Scored since 1990
Tennessee - 756
Vanderbilt - 312

AVG Pts Per Game since 1990
Tennessee - 32
Vanderbilt - 13

AVG Margin of Victory
Tennessee 19

Most Recent Back-to-Back wins
Tennessee - 2010, 2011 (6g W streak - '06-'11)
Vanderbilt - 1925,1926 (6g W streak - '20-'26)

Reality hurts sometimes... Anchor Is Down, Way Down, and Stuck On The Bottom.

murrayvol writes:

in response to allvol32:

Kids are like that sometimes. They're not always fans.

LaneBrains writes:

in response to allvol32:

We expect to see him in SoCal at 'SC next year. Urban is still Urban and Ed knows how to deal with him.

CLK, Monte and Ed

sameolvolalum writes:

in response to LaneBrains:

CLK, Monte and Ed

That's quite a novel concept. Kiffin replaced a prior rule violator, only to be replaced, himself, by the biggest rule violator from the other end of the continent. Urbie deserves to clean up messes after leaving so many of his own. BTW: I'm now convinced that Kaplan, et al at the KNS are in cahoots with Jeff Flowers, who's now the Crappy Commode. Who knows how many of the posts of admonishment toward this paper are deftly removed due to this potentially embarrassing predicament? It seems he's been advised to rearrange his verbiage and syntax, which he accomplished initially, but now it reads like all the same old garbage. BigBadVol and usafvol: How 'bout growing enough nads to resist the urge to respond to that sissy? Enki-Amenra(?): How much time has that sociopath caused you to research that stuff, just to annoy the more sensible ones of us? Nobody thinks you're clever.

vol98champ writes:

Hard to write anything positive about this article. I guess it is as a Russian dictator once said, "promises are like pie crusts; made to be broken." Sometimes, silence is golden.

ReeseHallRelic writes:

in response to LaneBrains:

CLK, Monte and Ed

Uhhh, Monte? Really?

Monte's the DC in Dallas now....

Vols4life77 writes:

in response to Enki_Amenra:

Total Games:
107

Series Record:
Tennessee leads 73-29-5

Longest Win Streak:
Tennessee 22 (1983-2004)

Current Streak:
Vanderbilt 1

Modern era stats. (1990-present)

21 or more points scored in a UT v. VU game from 1990 until present:
Tennessee - 18 times
Vanderbilt - 7 times

35 or more points during the same time period
Tennessee - 10 times
Vanderbilt - 1 times

# of times held to 0 points
Tennessee - 0 (not held scoreless since 1964)
Vanderbilt - 6 times

# of times held below 15 points
Tennessee - 2
Vanderbilt - 14

Total Points Scored since 1990
Tennessee - 756
Vanderbilt - 312

AVG Pts Per Game since 1990
Tennessee - 32
Vanderbilt - 13

AVG Margin of Victory
Tennessee 19

Most Recent Back-to-Back wins
Tennessee - 2010, 2011 (6g W streak - '06-'11)
Vanderbilt - 1925,1926 (6g W streak - '20-'26)

Reality hurts sometimes... Anchor Is Down, Way Down, and Stuck On The Bottom.

Nice, very nice! The numbers are a direct correlation to the dominance in this series.I love how Vandy fans constantly want to dismiss history and just talk about the present. But I understand it because all they have is the present. The commodores have been the laughing stock of the SEC for decades and will continue to do so. And apparently their arrest record is on the rise too. Anchor down??? Lol, what a joke

mocsandvolsfan writes:

in response to wononta:

"whew" Sometimes navagating this site works me like a rented mule.

g r a m m A r police Mr. Igonorant argueman!

e T c. I hate to tell you this but you "dignified" everthang just by your posting what you posted. You're right however about your not being able to carry on a decent conversation.

All the above would be my response to you if I didn't really agree with what you tried to say.

mocsandvolsfan writes:

in response to volistic:

Golly! Perhaps your response is a bit better than mine to this person. But isn't responding to posters why a person posts? I don't have any problem now with these trolls because many times they're the only ones willing to say anything. If more posters would respond to the article of course things would be better. However if the article in question is about a player or team activities and not responding to ESPN or some "trollish article" then you see very few posts. You see a couple of hundred posters on "trollish articles". You may see 8-15 posts on a genuine article about UT that neither praises nor trashes UT. If it's a good fan oriented UT article you get very few of any fans posting. Much less the real UT fans.

I'm not very often a KNS fan really. I prefer non-trollish articles. But sometimes it's ok to respond to trolls. imho just sayin'. I just find it hard to criticize people defending the Big Orange. Even if what you and your friend says is correct.

Besides it's all free.

mocsandvolsfan writes:

I guess I should also comment on the kid in question. All I can say is I didn't know what the%^!! I was doing in college...or my first job...second really. Heck I'm 58 now and still don't know much. Golly bum!!

Enki_Amenra writes:

Someone's got Vol Envy!
Seems like you know more about the Vols than most Vol fans...

You tell me not to reflect on the past, yet, in the same breath, you turn around and reference the very same history, as-well-as gloat about Vandy's win last year (in case you aren't aware, last year references something that happened in the PAST) Hello, McFly, are you in there?!!

It is so much easier to care about streaks when your team has actually had a streak worth noting... Ever!

...wait a sec... Vandy has had a few streaks, but they are just not the kind that anyone ever wants.

Vanderbilt is so terrible, historically, that most people would prefer skid-mark streaks to those streaks produced by Vanderbilt... I can see why, even skid-marks look better than the brand of football being played for decade, upon decade, upon decade at Vandy.

I see you also like to reference the past coaches at Tennessee, those who routinely dominated - and still today dominate Vandy from their current schools.

I can also see why you do this, you must talk about the past UT coaches, because you surely do not ever want to mention the past Vandy coaches.

Nothing you can do or say will change the fact that Vandy has only beaten UT 4 times since 1964! So what you guys got a win against the worst UT team in a century, have you ever beaten a ranked UT team?

Since you acknowledge that Tennessee has been so terrible over the past decade, let's compare something...

(please realize this - I'm showing you factual proof of Vandy's inferiority to the Vols. You rely on, what you believe to be, condescending insults and double standard stats. If you are able, would you be so kind to show proof to support your naive arrogance? If not, I understand - there is no proof to support your opinion)

2002 VU 0-8 2-10
UT 5-3 8-5 (Peach Bowl v Maryland)

2003 VU 1-7 2-10
UT 6-2 10-3 (SEC East Champs) (Peach Bowl v Clemson)

2004 VU 1-7 2-9
UT 7-1 10-3 (SEC East Champs) (Cotton Bowl v T A&M)

2005 VU 3-5 5-6
UT 3-5 5-6

2006 VU 1-7 4-8
UT 5-3 9-4 (Outback Bowl v Penn St)

2007 VU 2-6 5-7
UT 6-2 10-4 (SEC East Champs) (Outback Bowl v Wisconsin)

2008 VU 4-4 7-6
UT 3-5 5-7

2009 VU 0-8 2-10
UT 4-4 7-6 (Lane Kiffin) (Chik-fil-A Bowl v Va. Tech)

2010 VU 1-7 2-10 (Robbie Caldwell)
UT 3-5 6-7 (Music City Bowl v North Carolina)

2011 VU 2-6 6-7 (J. Franklin - Liberty Bowl - Lost to Cincinnati/Butch Jones 24-31)
UT 1-7 5-7

2012 VU 5-3 9-4 (Music City Bowl - NC St)
UT 1-7 5-7

Record since 2002 -
VU 20 - 68 SEC 46 - 87 overall
UT 44 - 44 SEC 75 - 59 overall

Bowls since 2002:
VU - 2 UT - 7

I'm amazed that anyone has enough nerve ,or blind ambition, to hint that Vanderbilt has any supremacy over UT or can even be consistantly competitive.

I will bet you're nowhere to be found around here after UT destroys Vandy this year.

Kids these days have a totally different view of "committment" than we older ones were raised in. As far as they are concerned, making a verbal committment is like posting their relationship status on a social-media page. They mull out every important social or emotional issue with hundreds of their closest friends 24/7. The fact that they feel differently today than they felt yesterday doesn't seem odd to them at all. The idea that OTHER people might be discomfited if they change their minds again doesn't seem relevant to them if they aren't in the conversation on the same media.

It is really hard these days to find kids who will take their committments seriously. Youth football leagues are dying out all over the country because fewer and fewer kids and/or their parents can justify all the different kinds of committments a family has to make and risks to endure for a kid to play football at all. That is why it is so important that so many of our recruits are active on social media. They can supply the need for constant attention that every kid, let alone every elite athlete, demands for him/herself these days.

<...Durn whippersnapper kids...got no respect...mutter, mutter....>

allvol32 writes:

in response to Crafty_Commodore_4118:

I do not understand the mindset of trolls but for a troll to be delusional enough to compare Vandy to UT is just downright pathetic.

I guess in your world the Cubs are a better team all time than the Yankees.

Hope you get some time with a medical professional to deal with your obsessions and your inability to deal with reality.

BigBadVol writes:

in response to Crafty_Commodore_4118:

Dang, your sauce is weak! Crafty? Simpleton is more like it.

chipmurphy461 writes:

Crappy Commode Door 73-29-5
With UT having 73 wins to your 29... I'm just not seeing where you have any trash to talk! When's the last time Vandy won an SEC Championship? How many NFL 1st round draft picks has Vandy had? Vandy will never sniff a National Championship trophy! I've seen enough college football to know that Butch Jones is a good coach. I've watched him at Central Michigan and Cincinnati, he knows what he's doing! The dominance over the Commode Doors will begin again soon and when it does Vandy will be the laughing stock it has always been!

utvolfan1955 writes:

It's all about getting hit counts on this site. Crafty is not really a Candy fan. He just makes posts to get folks riled up so they will respond. More than likely a KNS employee. He's been Johnny_Aint_No_Del_Shofner, GlennFordsFoible, My_God_A_Freshman, Speyers_Spectacular_Show and many others. I'm one of the worst to respond to him but now that I realize he is not really a Candy fan and he is just stirring the pot to get hits on this site I will ignore him from now on.

mikethehistorystudent writes:

Go enjoy Ohio State. Don't go jerking around our coaching staff.

DwayneElizondoMountainDewHerbertCamacho writes:

in response to allvol32:

This kid is trying to make a business decision because his goal is to play in the NFL. Where he plays college ball is extremely important. Urban Meyer and Ohio State have a known value. He knows that OSU will compete for championships. He knows that Meyers staff is going to be on point in regards to training and prep. He knows that if he excels that OSU will give him a massive stage on which to audition for the NFL. Unfortunately, he doesn't know that much about Coach Jones. And that's not a dig at Jones, but his staff is untested at the SEC level and he is an unknown commodity at this point. It's just the truth.

As the mob likes to say, "It's nothing personal, it's just business."

SevenT writes:

in response to allvol32:

Pretty funny UT is even mentioned as the consolation prize behind THE Ohio State.

utvolfan1955 writes:

SevenT is another one posting to try and get hit counts for the site

in response to DwayneElizondoMountainDewHerbertCamacho:

As the mob likes to say, "It's nothing personal, it's just business."

I don't doubt that you have probably summarized his thought process very well. However, the choice isn't that clear-cut in reality. For one thing, at OSU right now, he might be buried on the depth chart and not given much chance to excel early. He is not as likely to be a standout at any time on a team potentially full of them. The pros scout darned near everybody these days. If you can play, they will find you, and it's not as if the Vols don't still get more media exposure than most programs. If a kid can play, the Vols need him NOW! Perhaps I am only projecting here, but my guess is that CBJ's counter-pitch to guys like Woods goes somewhat as I stated. It might work better if the Vols do well this year.

vol98champ writes:

UT had a QB last year with a great arm and nothing else, but two WR's that he threw to are going to make a lot of money in the NFL I don't believe they would have been picked that high if they had chosen the ohio state u.

VOL_IN_BAMA writes:

If there are still camps you want to attend and schools you may possibly be interested in then you shouldn't have committed. And next time think before you speak.

bUTch_please writes:

He's just a kid who wanted to give the most honest answer he could to a question. Chillax folks.

Go Team #117!

volcraze writes:

in response to BigBadVol:

I am kind of with you on this one. To even mention another team says he is not 100% VOL. Next.

in response to volcraze:

A fair number of people seem to agree with you, but I think you might be a little harsh. No 17-year-old kid is going to have anything like the innate attachment that a lifelong fan is going to have. Kids just aren't made that way much anymore. All they know about college football is from TV, and all schools are an equal distance away on the channel guide. They probably didn't grow up reading about the Vols in their local papers or huddle in family groups to listen to the Vols on the radio. They may not know anybody of their generation or even neighborhood who goes to, or went to, or publicly wants to go to UT.

They will be impressed only by what they see of the campus, the team, the coaches, the facilities, the girls, or whatever else they think they value in a place to play football and/or go to school. They will compare these things with every other school they get a free trip to check out. We can only hope they arrive at a decision to become a Vol after considering all the alternatives. If they do sign and attend and compete, they will sweat and bleed and hurt just as much as the most "gung-ho" Vol "lifer". We can't expect them all to be "all-in" just because UT comes calling.

Given what we've heard about how Dooley booted local HS recruiting, he may have been contacted initially by the Jones staff, that is to say, rather late in the recruiting process for the high-value prospects. If we held every recruit to the standard of "loyalty" you seem to demand, I don't think we would be as happy with the program's recruiting as we mostly are right now.