Govols247: Vols land Top247 safety McDowell

Poll: Where in the rankings will Tennessee's 2014 recruiting class finish?

See the results »

View previous polls »

Top247 rising senior safety Cortez McDowell of Locust Grove (Ga.) High School announced Tuesday that he has committed to Tennesse

Photo by govols247

Top247 safety Cortez McDowell of Locust Grove (Ga.) High School announced Tuesday morning that he has committed to Tennessee, choosing the Vols over Auburn and Georgia.

Continue reading at Govols247.

antonio14313 writes:

...and another one.

GO VOLS!!!

t

voloffaith writes:

Can recruit and appears to be able to coach up as well. Even though pablo vandee man says did what he did with Mr. Kelly's recruits one could say if the talent is there he knew what to do with it................

BIVOLAR_BEARE writes:

Heck Yeah!!

BigBadVol writes:

CBJ and staff continue to impress!

UTvols33 writes:

I've been calm and reserved so far, careful not to get too excited. After reading about this one, though, I did crack a smile and raise an eyebrow.

GO VOLS! BEAT FLORIDA!

mikethehistorystudent writes:

Mr. McDowell, you are part of the best Tennessee class ever. Congrats for making the right decision.

Folks, we couldn't have wished for a recruiting class this solid. If you had told me at the end of last year that we would be sitting here in recruiting right now, I wouldn't have believed you.

suggest_removal_4_all_troll_posts writes:

I remember some great recruiting classes reeled in by Fulmer, but I never ever remember having such a good class by July.

Let's get some Big Uglies and finish this class!

antonio14313 writes:

i didn't see it anywhere, but, just to let you know, mcdowell is a 6"3' 200lbs FOUR star safety, according to rivals.com.

go vols!!!

t

Shake_Bake writes:

Welcome to Tennessee young man! You will have a chance to be part of a historic turn around in this football program. Thanks for choosing the Orange and White.

lemme_axya_this writes:

in response to antonio14313:

...and another one.

GO VOLS!!!

t

The bricks are piling up pretty quick.

SummittsCourt writes:

Awesome news! This coaching staff may very well in the end be the very best in the game.

murrayvol writes:

in response to KnoxVegas88:

They have reserved seating.

in response to suggest_removal_4_all_troll_posts:

Let's get some Big Uglies and finish this class!

That's a big AMEN from me on the Big Uglies, bud! In fact, I would just as soon not see another recruit for this class who isn't a prospect for one of the lines. I might make an exception for a stud RB. Otherwise, all the quick, versatile, talented skill players in the world can't do a thing unless the big 'uns are doing it up front. IMHO, this is the main thing that has either led to, or shown clear evidence of, the Vols decline relative to most of the rest of the SEC.

OK, I might also make exceptions for the Berry kids, but then, that's IT on the "athletes", WRs, DBs, situational backs, returners, etc. Time to fill the rest of the shopping cart with beef!

vol98champ writes:

in response to johnlg00:

There are several big uglies looking our way and from what I see there are several starting jobs up for grabs next year. Hope they see the opportunity and jump aboard.

vol98champ writes:

in response to johnlg00:

I hear you, but there are 2 RB's and 2 LB's in the top 100 that have us as "medium interest". I'll take all 4 and smile all the way to the stadium.

Olddogsrule writes:

BOOM!

20 commits and 9 are 4*!

I'm feelin' berry good about the future.

Yes, we need some BIG men for the OL and DL.

Does anyone know who CBJ and the Volunteer family are doing on those fronts? (dbl entendre intended)

Olddogsrule writes:

Welcome to the Tennessee Volunteer Family Mr. McDowell! I especially like what you said in the Atlanta Journal-Constitution interview:

"... I felt like something special is going to happen at Tennessee. I want to be part of a good situation.”

We are proud to have you and proud to hear you say you feel like that about the Volunteer Football program.

GO CORTEZ MCDOWELL! GO CBJ! GO YOU VOLUNTEERS!

SMOKEY RULES!

pingkr62 writes:

I THINK Tennessee can sign as many as 31 players this year. I agree U.T. needs to add a couple of "Thunder" running backs and the rest "O" and "D" lineman. G.B.O.!!!

chattabluetick writes:

ANOTHER BRICK IN THE WALL! GBO & CBJ

BigbearVol writes:

in response to lemme_axya_this:

The bricks are piling up pretty quick.

Oh WOW!! Coach Jones' house is gonna be HUGE! LOL GO VOLS!!!

Olddogsrule writes:

The house that bUTch built! They can huff & they can puff ....

This is really gonna be fun the next several years if game day coaching is anything like recruiting.

C'mon BIG GUYS ! You know Tennessee is one of the premier schools for landing players in the NFL. Come here! Join the Volunteer Family and listen as more than One Hundred and Two THOUSAND fans cheer you on!

FanNotSheep writes:

So where does this put the Vols 2014 class now, according to Rivals and other respected recruiting sites?

BIVOLAR_BEARE writes:

in response to FanNotSheep:

1 or 2 depending on your choice..

tomatosoup writes:

WOW…for this only being July, who’d u thunk it? I admit that I was “hopefully” optimistic when UT announced the hiring of CBJ but man o’ man, he has simply impressed the heck out of me! Again, we haven’t had the opportunity to watch him coach one play to this point but what he has been allowed to do at this point in time has blown me away! I’m just keeping my fingers crossed that CBJ doesn’t say something stupid at media days like “the SEC isn’t going to be able to kick Tennessee around anymore”! I liked the way Coach Dooley sounded when he spoke and even liked the way he dressed (always professional) and even thought his wife was hot but when it came to his coaching….different story! I have a crazy feeling that looking back 10 years from now, Coach Jones is going to realize that what he was able to accomplish at Tennessee was truly amazing and will probably never be duplicated. I’m just hoping that after Coach Jones brings us back in the spotlight, he doesn’t jump ship to head for the NFL. Anyway, go Vols and it’s getting closer and closer to football time in Tennessee! Oh yeah, one question, has anyone seen Coach Jones wife and if so, is she hot? Think I’m going to google her right now and hopefully report back later. I’m out!

tomatosoup writes:

in response to tomatosoup:

Ok my good Vol fans, ole’ Mater Soup did some savey internet searching and the results are in, CBJ’s wife (Barb) is pretty cute! Go Vols and Go Barb!

Olddogsrule writes:

Mater .. this heres uh sports site and girl watchin' ain't no 'ficially sanctioned NCAA sport. Ah didn't go blind when ah got hitched an ah reken acourse ah could argee thet thuh 'bility to duhscreetly bobble yer haid and swivil yer eye when yer wife's wi' you do require sum measure o' practice, but a rovin' eye ...

smokies_old_soul writes:

Welcome to Knoxville Cortez !!!

hey "tomatohead" - don't you have better things to do than checking out Coach Jones wife ? if you like him so much, why don't you try being polite and respectful - what a moron.

jhayes0926#638474 writes:

Gonna be a few more big names coming this weekend! Stay Tuned!!