Johnny Manziel says he 'overslept' at Manning camp

Texas A&M quarterback Johnny Manziel talks with reporters during the Southeastern Conference football Media Days in Hoover, Ala., Wednesday, July 17, 2013. (AP Photo/Dave Martin)

Photo by Dave Martin/Associated Press

HOOVER, Ala. — Texas A&M quarterback Johnny Manziel says he missed activities at the Manning Passing Academy because he “overslept,” and his absence had nothing to do with being out the night before.

The Heisman Trophy winner was a counselor at the camp for high school prospects run by Archie, Peyton and Eli Manning in Louisiana, along with many other college quarterbacks. He left before it ended last weekend.

“I was not asked to leave. It was a mutual decision,” Manziel said Wednesday at SEC Media Days.

He said that while there were social events every night with the Mannings, he did not miss his meetings because of too much partying.

“The speculation of me being too hung over and that’s the reason I missed the meetings is absolutely incorrect,” he said.

Manziel said he fell asleep without setting his alarm and his phone died during the night. He said he was rooming with Alabama quarterback AJ McCarron, but that McCarron didn’t wake him up.

“I’m definitely not going to pin it on him,” Manziel said. “It’s my fault — 115, 120 percent.”

The 20-year-old faced hundreds of reporters during Wednesday’s interview sessions. Wearing a dark blue suit, the 6-foot-1, 200-pound sophomore discussed his fame, decision-making and even answered a few questions about football.

He says his eventful offseason has been at times “blown out of proportion,” though he did acknowledge that he needs to make better decisions because he’s such a public figure.

“My offseason, all the stuff’s that’s gone on will have no effect on this season,” Manziel said. “I’m ready to stop. No more talk after this. Let’s play football.”

Manziel is the first freshman to win the Heisman and undeniably a unique talent on the field. He led Texas A&M to an 11-2 record, including a 6-2 mark in its first Southeastern Conference season.

Second-year coach Kevin Sumlin’s hurry-up offense was a perfect match for Manziel, who finished with 3,706 yards and 26 touchdowns passing and 1,410 yards and 21 touchdowns on the ground.

His 5,116 total yards were an NCAA freshman record and No. 9 on the NCAA’s all-time list.

Sumlin and Texas A&M defensive back Toney Hurd Jr. both had praise for Manziel on Wednedsay.

“Johnny Football is a great guy,” Hurd Jr. said. “He works hard. He’s dedicated to his craft. I can’t make any predictions on what he’ll do, but I can tell you if you want to stop him, you might want to put 22 men on the field.

Said Sumlin: “I think (handling the Heisman spotlight is) a learning experience, a growing experience, because, quite frankly, it’s something that nobody’s ever been through at that age.”

Mississippi quarterback Bo Wallace was also at the Manning passing camp and said the other quarterbacks enjoyed their time with Manziel. Wallace said Tuesday Manziel is “a fun kid” and “may catch more slack than he should.”

“It’s difficult — you want to go out and do 20, 21-year-old things,” Wallace said. “But at the same time, you’ve got to know that you’re the face of a brand. Ole Miss is a huge brand, A&M’s a huge brand and you’ve got to have that in the back of your mind with every decision that you make.”

Get Copyright Permissions © 2013, The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.

SummittsCourt writes:

LIAR!

murrayvol writes:

I used to "oversleep" a lot when I was getting hammered on a regular basis.

NGage writes:

Wait...I thought his dad said it was dehydration?

Hmmmm?

FearTheVols1252 writes:

So let me get this straight... he was rooming with McCarron. McCarron got up, got ready, and Johnny 'dimwit' never even heard him?!? Riiiiight. And of course he didn't have an alarm... he was too drunk to set the alarm clock and/or plug in his phone.

Dude is full of it.

CrankE writes:

It's my fault, 115-120%!

Why not 125%, Rip Van Manziel?

CrankE writes:

I did not inhale!

CrankE writes:

I feel your pain!

eVOLved writes:

I sometimes get "sinus headaches" after drinking beer.

MetroplexMojo writes:

in response to KnoxVegas88:

Last year, he was Johnny Football. This year, he will be known as Johnny Fullabullsh-t.

SevenT writes:

You can't blame Manziel for sleeping through a camp-lesson from a boring, has-been like Peyton Manning. Besides Manziel has the Heisman so what does he need to learn from Peyton?

10SE writes:

That boy has got problems!

antonio14313 writes:

LMAO!!! overslept??? lol!

i guess that's better than actually fessing up to what REALLY happened! lol...

cheers, johnny fizz...

t

TheFuj writes:

in response to SevenT:

A NFL MVP or Super Bowl MVP, or a Super Bowl ring, or maybe just some class.

murrayvol writes:

in response to SevenT:

You're either getting paid to camp here or you're crazy as hell. So which is it?

jimr07 writes:

in response to SevenT:

Lets name all the great Florida quarterbacks.. hmmmmm. i cannot think of any.. i am sure there are some...

volfaninutah writes:

He thought he was slamming the snooze button on the alarm clock, but it was actually the cork in the Jim Beam bottle... Seriously, He needs to realize what he has going for him. He has a lot of "celebrity" around him now. He can't let it go to his head or he'll be a nobody or a career drunk. Just because he won the Heisman doesn't let him get away with things. The Mannings don't put up with it, and maybe some day he will grow up be like a Peyton or Eli. I'm sure he has a posse that has led to some of these unfortunate decisions he's made already. HE needs to wise up and cull the herd that he hangs with and look to the future and not live for the present. Too many athletes take this road..and you never hear from them again after football.

thevoice writes:

I know I'm supposed to care about this, since the media thinks so.

voloffaith writes:

in response to jimr07:

This Troll/plant professes to be a fan of kantutsy not chomper land............

madrigal writes:

"Oversleeping" doesn't get you sent home. Bye-bye, Heisman II, hello NFL where you can do what you want.

kevininaugustageorgia writes:

I liked the kid better when he was just a really good football player.

I'm just not at all interested in anything he does outside of playing ball.

jimr07 writes:

in response to voloffaith:

This Troll/plant professes to be a fan of kantutsy not chomper land............

Then we can stop and name all the great Kentucky quarterbacks..Tim Couch... lol...

Couchdummy writes:

People are making too much of mistakes made by this kid. Is it a shock that he might have difficulties dealing with the fame and demands that comes with winning the Heisman trophy? My goodness, I did some crazy and ill-advised things in my first two years of college. The kid is learning and should not be crucified for some small transgressions and poor decisions.

Colliervol writes:

in response to murrayvol:

I think it's the first one. Nobody could possibly be that ignorant about football. Of course, he professes to be a KY fan and that would explain some of that. When you've never witnessed good football in your life, it's possible you wouldn't recognize it.

GerryOP writes:

in response to SevenT:

One day you are going to come on GVX and actually post something "on topic" instead of just dumping trash ... 6th grade playground trash.

Colliervol writes:

in response to Couchdummy:

I did some crazy stuff too but I wasn't the face of a football program and a fine school so it didn't matter if I acted a fool or not. (Of course, if I had acted like Johnny I wouldn't had to wait on discipline from the coach. My dad would have ripped me a new one.) The problem is though is if the stupid kid doesn't learn from the mistakes and get some discipline, they usually grow up to be stupid adults.

kevininaugustageorgia writes:

in response to SevenT:

Hey youre right!

Maybe he needs to get some tutoring from Aaron Murray on how to beat the lil lizards twice in a row.

While Murray is at it, maybe he can teach Flarda's QB's how to be competitive in a Bowl Game versus a Big East team.

Louisville??? I don't think even UT lost to a Big East team last year...

1volk-nowi-tall writes:

in response to SevenT:

Can you read "7"? Johnny was not there to learn from Peyton. He was there to work with the kids who attended the camp. Maybe they could have learned something from Johnny. Now all they can say is I was there when Johny Football couldn't make it to camp to help me learn. That is probably too much to ask of most 20 year old kids anyway;to help others learn...

allntl1#565211 writes:

Can you say Todd Marinovich.

GONAVY writes:

First, Johnny Football was a redshirt freshman, not a freshman. Second, and maybe I'm just getting old and cranky, but I've had my fill of this guy. I expect there will be a number of teams who will have made adjustments for his style of play...starting on September 14 when a certain pretty good team rolls into College Station with a little payback on their mind.

GONAVY writes:

in response to thevoice:

I know I'm supposed to care about this, since the media thinks so.