UPDATED: Cuonzo Martin to receive $50,000 raise

Tennessee head coach Cuonzo Martin calls to his players as they take on Mercer in the first half during the first round of the NIT Wednesday, March 20, 2013, at Thompson-Boling Arena. (ADAM BRIMER/NEWS SENTINEL)$RETURN$$RETURN$

Photo by Adam Brimer

Two years into a five-year contract at Tennessee, men’s basketball coach Cuonzo Martin will receive a $50,000 raise heading into the 2013-14 season.

UT athletic director Dave Hart told the News Sentinel on Thursday that he thinks the pay bump is “fair and necessary.”

Martin entered the summer with three years remaining on a contract worth $1.3 million annually.

“(The pay increase) is due to two things,” Hart said. “The first is that Cuonzo led our program to top-five finishes in the SEC in his first two years, which is impressive.”

Hart added that he was impressed because Martin battled “a big rebuilding job” in his first season at UT and “key players being injured” in his second campaign.

“The other thing is that, personally, I appreciate the leadership that he has provided at the University of Tennessee and in guiding those young men,” Hart said.

According to Martin, Hart approached him in early June to discuss a raise.

“It was something they presented and I really appreciated it,” said Martin, who was on the recruiting trial Thursday, traveling to Washington, D.C., and Baltimore. “I’m happy about it and it was a kind gesture by Dave. He said it was something that he wanted to do.”

The extra $50,000 will be split evenly among his base salary, which rises to $350,000, and his broadcasting payout, now $450,000. The remainder of Martin’s salary stems from apparel ($325,000) and endorsements ($225,000).

Martin’s two seasons in Knoxville have produced a 39-28 overall record, a 21-13 SEC mark and two NIT appearances. Including three seasons at Missouri State, he has a 100-69 overall record.

After finishing 27-9 overall and 12-6 in the SEC last season, Ole Miss coach Andy Kennedy saw his salary rise from $1.4 million to $1.8 million this offseason. He had been nearly on par with Martin in the SEC’s coaching pay scale.

At $1.35 million annually, Martin ranks 11th among the SEC’s 14 coaches. He earns more than LSU’s Johnny Jones ($1.1 million through 2016-17), Mississippi State’s Rick Ray ($1 million through 2015-16) and Texas A&M’s Billy Kennedy ($1 million through 2015-16). Martin ranks just behind Auburn’s Tony Barbee ($1.5 million through 2016-17).

Asked if any contract adjustment — be it a significant extension or a minor pay increase such as this — can improve a coach’s perception both generally and in recruiting, Martin dismissed the notion.

“Dave just reached out and I said, ‘Thank you, I appreciate it’, and I don’t read too much more into that because it doesn’t change anything,” Martin said. “Regardless of what I’m making and that sort of thing, I’m always going to do my job to the best of my ability. It was a great gesture, but I don’t get caught up in perception or anything on the outside. I’m here to do a job.”

Brendan F. Quinn covers Tennessee men’s basketball. Follow him at Twitter.com/BFQuinn

Get Copyright Permissions © 2013, Knoxville News Sentinel Co.

iowa_vol writes:

Nice bump for stability and mediocrity. Now lets make a move towards superiority.

Hmmm. Well, OK, I guess. Hard to think of 50 G's as chump change, but that's pretty much what it is in the overall context of Martin's contract. Maybe the intent is to send a signal to prospects that Martin is firmly in the saddle and likely to be for some time. However, I don't think there should be any more raises, except possibly for some performance-based clauses, until after next season, and I say this as a Martin fan. If the Vols win the SEC regular season and/or the conference tournament and/or make the Sweet Sixteen, CCM will deserve a pretty good contract bump. But please, let's see how the season goes before shelling out a big-money, long-term contract extension.

snowpeapod#263184 writes:

in response to johnlg00:

I pretty agree with everything you posted. We already have tons of experiencing coaches with long term contracts and paying them long after they've gone.

chipmurphy461 writes:

I don't know; I mean Cuonzo didn't exactly inherit an empty cupboard when he took this job, he knew of the NCAA implications/sanctions that might be involved when he took this job, I can only assume that there's not a lot of schools beating Cuonzo's door down asking him to come to their school. It seems like UT gave him a chance to coach at a big D1 school and Cuonzo gave UT an opportunity to start fresh with some potential upsides in men's basketball. Maybe after this upcoming season a nice raise could've been in order instead of a "bump" for what appears to be doing your job for the most part. We'll see once the season progresses.

SewaneeVolFan writes:

Good thing happening to a good person who represents UT well.

tomatosoup writes:

I think this is great news for Coach Martin. Something tells me that Coach Martin is going to advance this team pretty deap in the Big Dance and wouldn't be surprised if we don't find outselves in the final 8. In my opinion, I think Coach Martin's salary increase is much overdue. If I remember correctly, when Coach Martin was brought to Tennessee he was operating under something called a Memorandum of Understanding for a little over a year. I don't know about anyone else but there is no way I could go 3 months, much less a year wthout being paid by my employer. Not only should we all be fortunate that Coach Martin's wife makes enough for them to be able to take the year hit without pay, but even more fortunate that he didn't get fed up and leave for another program that could pay him. Anyway, congratulations Coach Martin and best of luck this winter. Can't wait to see how far you can take our ball team! Go Vooooools!!!

tomatosoup writes:

in response to SewaneeVolFan:

Good thing happening to a good person who represents UT well.

tomatosoup writes:

Too funny....this article was written by Bredan Quinn. I'm listening to the Sports Animal cover the SEC media days and Brendan is on the radio right now, literally....RIGHT NOW! Talk about how cool media is. To be out of Knoxville and still be able to post something on a Tennessee website is pretty cool. Go Vooooools and Go Brendan!!!!

hikerdude writes:

I don't see how anyone can say this raise is justified. Two years of Gene Keady ball (boring, boring) with mediocre results. Every one thinks he now has enough talent on the team to have a good run in the NCAA tournament. We'll see. I hope so. But I'm still thinking 20-10 and a first round NIT loss.

The1 writes:

A modest reward for a modest performance so far.

mocsandvolsfan writes:

Wow! WTG Martin. I'm happy to see this support for a coach at UT. WTG uhhh what's the AD's name?? Oh yeah HART. Smart Hart to give Martin your blessings on a job well done the last to years. I lke it.

Now a word of advice to Martin. Assuming you like UT and living here I'd really give it all you got this coming year. UT fans and fans everywhere are pretty fickle. Win an SEC tourney and win the first round of the NCAAs and you'll probably see an even bigger "bump". NOT as easy as it sounds. Ok it doesn't sound easy at all. There are a lot of "fans" that seem to think it's easy.hehe

That said you(Martin) have a very sound squad this year.

Maturity + talent= wins. Thanks Memphis for giving us some maturuty and depth at point.

Don't worry Vol fans. Be happy.

brod writes:

performance based incentives going forward for martin should be based on titles and post-season performance.

ActualUTAlum writes:

in response to hikerdude:

Definitely boring, although we should be much improved this year. People bragged about his Keady connection when he was hired, but people also forget that Gene Keady never won anything.

1vavolfan writes:

in response to tomatosoup:

I hope this is written in sarcasm. Advancing deep in the tournament? Based on what, two NIT appearances with losses to MTSU and Mercer? No need to pay CCM more or give him more money, no other top programs have come calling. Advance deep in the postseason this year or go back to the Bush leagues where you came from. Its amazing how UT basketball people are content with mediocrity.

underthehill writes:

With the addition of Barton..UT now appears to have enough talent to compete against the best..Martin now has to prove he can do likewise..thus far I have not seen that he can..he is far too predictable on defense most of the time..and not prepared to attack zone defenses on offense..if these areas improve..I do think UT can have an outstanding season..

pcshowtime writes:

He is a stop gap when no one else wanted the job. Just like dooley never won anything more than moderate success at a small school. He is the only coach in the sec never to make the NCAA dance at some point in their career. I hope he proves me wrong this year. His teams have a tendency to do enough to make you think progress is being made then fold when it counts. I know he had inherited a bad deal, and he has faced injuries. Sounds a lot like dooley's time here.
If he does not put a product on the floor that either performs or is exciting enough to put butts in the seats you can not afford to keep him around. At the end of the day that is what it is about. At least if it does not work out we should be able to land a proven coach that has won championships in line with a butch jones type resume.

10seVol85_Part_Deux writes:

in response to chipmurphy461:

Not so sure. Didn't Martin's first team have to replace four starters? His second team looked good, and a lot of that is because he brought in Stokes. Think how much better that team would likely have been if Maymon didn't miss the season with injury?

Martin has signed a really nice class for this coming year, with one of the top players in the country. 2013-2014 should be a great year, and will help keep recruiting at a high level.

Martin is earning his pay, and if you think nobody else would want him, you're nuts.

TNVOLNTX writes:

Hmmmm! If I lost a deal to an inferior competitor in the opening round of RFP negotiations, I'm thinking my company would not reward my efforts with a raise. Oh well...congrats Coach Martin.

ReeseHallRelic writes:

in response to tomatosoup:

Just because he was operating under a Memorandum of Understanding doesn't mean he was going without pay for that whole time. That would be illegal, as a matter of fact. An MOU is a binding agreement, but it just doesn't go into all the details that a full-blown contract does.

Trust me, CCM didn't have to have his kids shopping for school clothes off the discount rack at WallyWorld.

bobe4544 writes:

For doing what?

cp3 writes:

And now where is Holly Warlick's raise???

ewhite#207432 writes:

Martin needs to take this team to the sweet 16. If he does not get it done this year, UT needs to part ways.

tennlions writes:

Let's put this in perspective. Auburn's coach makes more than CCM and they haven't even sniffed the NIT the last 2 years. In the world on D1 coaches, a 50K bump is more like a ripple. Kennedy went 27-9 at Ole Miss and got 400K more. Martin does that this coming year and he might be looking at a similar bump.

abnerPeabody writes:

Why do Coaches have contracts? They are given pay raises when the contract dosen't call for it.They have the contract extended before their original contract is up and they get the remaining years of their contract if they are fired. Contracts are useless in College sports.There is too much money being paid for going to the NIT ,if even that and being slightely above 50% in wins. Only in America folks.This is not a post against Martin.This is happening at all Universities. You and I are the losers.

MetroplexMojo writes:

in response to abnerPeabody:

Everything is a negotiation. The university is making a multi-million dollar investment in an individual. A properly designed contract can help protect the university if the coach commits certain violations. See O'Brien at Ohio State. He committed violations and still got paid. With some contracts worth $30-$40MM so you can't have verbal agreements with $$$$ like that at stake.

In their negotiations, some coaches choose to have small buyouts if they decide to leave for another job and/or with no exclusions on where they can go. Usually, a coach with this arrangement will take less in salary for the flexibility to move to another job (or secure annual pay raises from their current employer). Some coaches (like Petrino at Arkansas) will take more money upfront and agree to high buyouts if they leave and/or a strict non-compete clause.

thevoice writes:

in response to tomatosoup:

The MoU doesn't mean he wasn't getting paid. He's been making $1.something million a year since he signed the MoU. The MoU is simply a short version of a contract, or a gentleman's agreement with a signature.

govols26 writes:

in response to ActualUTAlum:

We have a winner! I don't think I have watched one UT game where Martin's coaching pedigree wasn't mentioned. And yet no one seems to realize (Purdue fans especially) that he never won anything and neither have his disciples (Bruce Weber came close one year at Illinois but that was 6 years ago).

dvols writes:

Coach deserves $50,000 more just for not having a car full of weed smoking knuckleheads rollin around town with an unmarked gun!!!

FeelVol writes:

in response to dvols:

Wow now I don't know about that but I do appreciate the young men that he's brought in so far.Young men that seem to have some decent character traits about them and want to play some tough ball and why not give the man a raise for trying to do his job,I get a cost of living raise every year and most of us that work on the job do too.I personally like the job that Coach Martin has done and believe we would have seen better results last year had Maymon been healthy.Not to be naïve though I realize that its a performance based profession and this year is critical that he gets the most out of his team and barring major injurys I do believe we'll have a very nice year.All Vol since the Ernie and Bernie years.

jhayes0926#638474 writes:

Wow, a whole page of comments without anyone mentioning that Pearl will be back next yr after his show cause is over, or "its Hamiltons fault"? OOOPS!!

Noogaorange writes:

in response to tomatosoup:

You are kidding right? If not this one of the dumbest posts ever! GBO VFL17

1vavolfan writes:

in response to pcshowtime:

Don't agree with your comment on no one else wanting the job. I do agree UT should not even consider a coach that has never reached the NCAA Tournament or a football coach with a losing record (kiffin,Dooley)

CoverOrange writes:

Wow, outside of Kentucky and Florida, SEC BB coaches are grossly overpaid considering the results.

Rosie writes:

Good. All things considered he's done a good job. Next year will be huge

No doubt there are all kinds of ways to figure the return on investment in a coach's salary. In some people's eyes, Martin is grossly overpaid for doing nothing. The fact is that Martin has the 11th-highest salary in the SEC, yet the lowest a team of his has finished is 5th. That would seem to indicate that we have one of the top two or three most-favorable ROIs in the SEC.

The team will explode this year. They may not run like racehorses but they should be able to score from every position on the team and from every part of the floor. I don't think people will complain about the offense this year. The team also has potential for improving defensively. They have the quickness and depth to play good pressure defense when desired or necessary. There are aspects of the game in which both the team and the staff have to show improvement. Most people learn more the longer they work at something. Why wouldn't that be the case for Martin, the staff, and the team?

underthehill writes:

in response to johnlg00:

I hope you are right..if so..it could be sweet 16 or elite 8..if not..might be another NIT..I see it being a very interesting season..and hoping an experienced UT team can handle the talented Ky freshmen..like they did last year..

pcshowtime writes:

in response to 1vavolfan:

you are probably right and what makes it worse is that his brand a basketball is not fun to watch.

sly_stone99#434111 writes:

$1.5 MILLION for Tony Barbee? SMDH

OwensboroVol writes:

I always required my people to meet certain goals which always included improvement over the previous year. I don't understand how someone gets a substantial raise for no improvement at all. Maybe this is the Tennessee Administration trying to get us to forget the excitement of playing in big games and reaching the elite 8 of the NCAA tournament.

willphill#241787 writes:

in response to pcshowtime:

Spot on.

dcap8424 writes:

Anytime you can reward mediocrity, take it is what I say. If he has the kind of year we are expecting, he'll be where he should be amongst SEC coaches. He's definitly worth more than 11th best paid in the SEC, but it's hard to justify a big pay increase with the results he's had. Not the best circumstances granted, but results are results.

mocsandvolsfan writes:

in response to OwensboroVol:

The "reasons" were clearly stated by Hart in the article. I guess you just didn't believe them. The schools that reach elite 8 are few and far. We should have been an elite 8 Pearl's last season here but it didn't work out like it should have. Even then we were minus a dependable point guard. Maze was gone.

This year we should have good all round guards to help us go a bit further.

I don't think anyone(including Martin) expects UT to settle for the NIT. It was just a little "bump" in pay. A keep things on track raise if you will. Insignificant to the fans. It may buy Martin's wife or mother or someone a new car though.hehe

mocsandvolsfan writes:

in response to willphill#241787:

Spot on.

I guess all you want to see is high powered offense. I actually understand that really. It's also a little frustrating to see players of good potential not perform whether for injury or whatever. But that also happened under Pearl at times. When dealing with young talent you have to know the right buttons for each player.

Maybe this is the year we can watch a talented team actually perform and a potentially great coach do the same. We can have hope at least.

mocsandvolsfan writes:

in response to johnlg00:

Great post because I love your enthusiasm. IMHO there are some things Pearl could learn from Martin. Probably not in coaching though.hehe Maybe a few things. I agree with your hint(?) that Martin has some improvements to make. It will come easier this year with the upgrade in talent and bball IQ. We'll have more quickness and speed on defense I'm hoping.

GO VOLS.

Go Butch too. Exciting is the description I'd use for both sports.

mocsandvolsfan writes:

in response to dcap8424:

I find myself wanting to argue here but I can't really. I don't like the word mediocrity because it's been used too much to describe coaches who just on their getting to the SEC can't be mediocre. They did something worth notice at least. But I confess that Dooley, Kiffin, Martin were all surprises to me. I questioned Pearl's hire too. Not on here much but I did wonder where he came from and why we decided on a mostly unknown. I maintain my belief that you support the best you can whoever is hired. At least as a fan. That doesn't mean you never question their decisions sometimes. Or complain even. I honestly don't have a lot to complain about as far as Martin is concerned. Some little things maybe. This may be the year to really get vocal one way or the other. This is a pressure year for Martin because he has talent that can't be denied. Let's hope Martin does his role in the coming year.

mocsandvolsfan writes:

in response to pcshowtime:

When the point guard was performing as he could/should then it WAS exciting to watch. I loved our point guard when he was on his game and hated him when he wasn't. Injuries or not.
This next year won't be a problem there we can hope.

mocsandvolsfan writes:

OK too much I know but it wasn't my fault.hehe

macon_volfan writes:

I loved Pearl at UT, but one thing to keep in mind---when he was winning at UT, UK was DOWN. Tubby's last few years, and then the failed Billy Clyde years. I don't think the Vols would have fared much better under Pearl against Cal's UK--they lost twice (in 3 tries) to the Cousins/Wall team, and were swept in BPs last year--than Cuonzo's done.

in response to mocsandvolsfan:

GO VOLS.

Go Butch too. Exciting is the description I'd use for both sports.

Everything looks better when the ball goes in the basket. I think this team has the best scoring potential of any UT team in years, especially if Maymon comes back 100%, Barton can run the offense (and anchor the defense out top), and Hubbs is all they say he is.

I don't entirely get the "dull, boring" complaint some have made about the offense in the past. I think the Vols finished about 4th in the SEC in points per game. They stunk it up on offense in the pre-conference season, but certainly by the end of the season, they were scoring as much as anybody. They may only be about third in the conference in scoring this year, but they will be much more efficient about it.

in response to macon_volfan:

Good point. It is just axiomatic that when one team in a conference is up, another one is going to be down, at least in relative terms. Every team and every season is different from every other. Every player and coach is different from one year to another. UK's team is LITERALLY different from year to year(;-P)! CCM has done fine and will do better