UT AD Dave Hart on Vols at Media Day: “Our guys did great down there”

Tennessee athletics director Dave Hart looks on as the Volunteers play the Mississippi State Bulldogs at Davis Wade Stadium in Starkville, Miss., Saturday, Oct. 13, 2012. (ADAM BRIMER/NEWS SENTINEL)

Photo by Adam Brimer, Knoxville News Sentinel

KNOXVILLE — Tennessee athletic director Dave Hart didn’t trek to Hoover, Ala., for this year’s SEC Media Day. Not many ADs do. Their presence isn’t necessary.

Speaking with Hart this morning, I mentioned that any time a program gets in and out of Hoover without stirring controversy or delivering a blundered quote, it should be considered a success.

“That’s absolutely right,” Hart said.

Which is why the UT athletic director is more than pleased with first-year coach Butch Jones and players Ja’Wuan James, Tiny Richardson and Jacques Smith. The group navigated a Wednesday stay at Media Day without a stepping on any landmines.

Continue reading at Brendan F. Quinn's blog, The Mighty Quinn.

Get Copyright Permissions © 2013, Knoxville News Sentinel Co.

sameolvolalum writes:

There's much reason to be optimistic about this year. Lots can happen.....as history has taught us.....but let's give it our all for ol' UT. I can't wait for August 31st and FOOTBALL TIME IN TENNESSEE!

jhncpps1 writes:

in response to sameolvolalum:

44 Days left til I'll be in Neyland...Can't wait...Lets Go VOLS!!!!

Brewii writes:

Not sure Richardson's comment was a big deal. He was just stating the obvious.

FLORIDAGATORHATER writes:

"Our guys did great down there." Not sure he'll be saying that after our performance on the field this year.

VOLFAN4LIFEgovols writes:

I just hope UT has some defense this year cause as much as I like Jones personality I was at the UT/Cincy game aand im not so sure he has what it takes for SEC football

BolivrBob writes:

This defense is going to be very good! Write that down!

tovolny writes:

The AD was not needed down there, AND actually the AD's are not needed anywhere. It is funny how universities hire people making 300k per year to administer multi-million dollar salaried coaches. Football is not related to basketball and neither are related to swimming, golf or tennis. Soon, in the hear future, universities will require the individual team departments to take care of business. Look for UCLA, USC, Ohio State, Purdue, and Boston College to start this trend within the next 3 years.

AND as John Wayne said with an arrow through his next: "there're indians out there...don't ask me how I know...I just know."

mikethehistorystudent writes:

It will be a better year than anticipated, but not a good year by what our standards should be. If we win 7-8 games, don't be tickled about it but know we're on the right track. If we can keep up the recruiting momentum it will be a very good year in two or three years...however, I remember making a similar comment about Dooley so we will see.

Volunatic writes:

Good thing there were no gaffs at Media Days. Those things hurt. I caught a cobia last spring and being gouged by the gaff really made him mad.
I hope that there weren't any gaffes, either.

in response to mikethehistorystudent:

Hope springs eternal in the true fan's heart. It is sometimes wise to withhold judgment, but it is never wrong to hope for the best. It is never wrong to support those who labor on our behalf.

in response to Volunatic:

I hope that there weren't any gaffes, either.

Gotta give BQ credit for trying. He has a certain touching delight in language. He reaches far afield for his allusions and deep into his thesaurus for his vocabulary. He experiments with the chemistry of words. Sometimes his experiments blow up on him, but it's fun watching him try!