Vols picked fifth in East by SEC media

Tennessee coach Butch Jones talks with reporters during the Southeastern Conference football Media Days in Hoover, Ala., Wednesday, July 17, 2013. (AP Photo/Dave Martin)

Photo by Dave Martin/Associated Press

HOOVER, Ala. -- Alabama and Georgia were picked Thursday to play for the SEC football title and Tennessee was projected to finish fifth in the Eastern Division.

The vote as SEC Media Days concluded also picked one Vol, linebacker A.J. Johnson, on the first team All-SEC unit.

Offensive linemen Ja’Wuan James and Antonio “Tiny” Richardson were picked on the second-team offense. Guard Zach Fulton and center James Stone were named to the third-team offense.

Lineman Daniel McCullers was named third-team on the defensive side.

Alabama got 182 votes to win the title, followed by Georgia with 38,South Carolina with 18, Texas A&M 4 and LSU 1.

Projected order of finish:

East

1, Georgia (149) 1,570.

2. South Carolina (75) 1,475.

3. Florida (19) 1,300.

4. Vanderbilt 858.

5. Tennessee 694.

6. Missouri 577.

7. Kentucky 331.

West

1. Alabama (225) 1,681.

2. Texas A&M (11) 1,333.

3. LSU (7) 1,324.

4. Ole Miss 883.

5. Auburn 579.

6. Mississippi State 516.

7. Arkansas 488.

BigOrangeDan writes:

Just wait and see

DingoVol writes:

I would be willing to bet my house and oldest child that Tennessee finishes ahead of Vandy.

Ayres_Hall writes:

It's temporary.

jimr07 writes:

in response to Crafty_Commodore_4118:

as i understand it.. they are still going to play the game..how is belle meade these days..still talking about how great dan mcgugin was?

62vol writes:

I will settle for seeing a well coached team that is fundamentally sound on both offense and defense. The future with already established good recruiting will be bright .

When have the teams ever finished in the order predicted? There will be several surprises both plus and minus in nature. I predict the Vols will be on the plus side.

jimr07 writes:

Vandy has that tough schedule too... play harpeth hall and ensworth...

GerryOP writes:

Hmmmmm? An All-Star team picked BEFORE the season? Wonder how they do that? Any freshmen listed?

Picked 5th? I wonder what that means? Do they still play the games? Isn't today the last day of the Hoover boondoggle? Do the coaches gather around and play rock/paper/scissors to see who really wins?

DeltaCharlie3 writes:

Tennessee ahead of Missouri? I don't think so.

Volfan1 writes:

Motivation 101

RockyMtnVol writes:

It is based on the schedule UT has, UT will beat Vandy this year, but Vandy might have a better record at the end.....UT does have the hardest schedule in the SEC. So, I hope these "predictions" by media members who, most likely never played Div I football and couldn't find a real paying job have waken the sleeping GIANT ORANGE Monster........UT

etu_vol_fan writes:

I would flip UT and Vandy but the rest of it is pretty spot on though. I think we are headed in the right direction. GBO!

usafvol writes:

in response to DeltaCharlie3:

Tennessee ahead of Missouri? I don't think so.

Any assaults or arrests today troll?

hikerdude writes:

All the information I have on Coach Jones and staff leads me to believe that the Vols will be much improved this season. I don't know how many wins and losses we will have but I fully expect that, unlike last year:
1. The players will know their assignments;
2. The players will be disciplined enough to execute their assignments; and
3.The coaches will have well designed game plans and will make the necessary adjustments as the game goes along.
If these things happen and the recruiting continues to improve, the wins will come-maybe not this year, but in the very near future.

Caneoverthere writes:

Well, at least no one can accuse us of being overrated!

antonio14313 writes:

not surprised. we'll just have to surprise some people...

GO VOLS.

t

antonio14313 writes:

in response to antonio14313:

not surprised. we'll just have to surprise some people...

GO VOLS.

t

...actually, let me clarrify: i'm not surprised that UT is picked to finish 5th in the east. but i AM surprised that only 1 player was picked 1st team!

but, like i said; we'll just have to surprise some people...

GO VOLS!!!

t

antonio14313 writes:

in response to Crafty_Commodore_4118:

do you visit missouri's page, if they have one? you probably should, being that you're more of a threat to beat them than UT this year...

go vols.

t

MetroplexMojo writes:

With a top ranked recruiting class and a coach with a track record of winning championships, the future looks bright. I expect the 2013 team will be much better coached, prepared, and disciplined. I expect the team will have a mental toughness that did not exist under the prior regime.

With all that being said, talent wins games. The prior regime did not bring in enough talent, period. Other than the OL, is there another position grouping that one can definitively say (at this time) is above average in the SEC? Hopefully the team will use the preseason rankings as motivation and prove the media wrong.

SummittsCourt writes:

in response to Crafty_Commodore_4118:

HA! Sounds more like wishful thinking from the Vandy fans. By the way Didn't he win 2 of 3 against vandy? And that one win was against our worst team ever?

Yeah! YOU are the one shaking in your boots these days, not Vol fans.

kevininaugustageorgia writes:

We'll see...

kevininaugustageorgia writes:

in response to 62vol:

Check!

BIVOLAR_BEARE writes:

in response to jimr07:

Vandy has that tough schedule too... play harpeth hall and ensworth...

Don't forget Father Ryan..

antonio14313 writes:

in response to DingoVol:

hold on! don't sign everything over just yet!... i looked at peabody's schedule (oops, vandy's schedule) and they're schedule is way easier than UT's. BUT, UT is a better team than vandy, so it really is a toss up whether we finish ahead of them, or not. i have vandy going 3-5 in the SEC at best, beating ole miss (very weak possibility that they do this!), kentucky, and missouri (ONLY because it's in nashville). i have UT going 2-6 AT WORST in the SEC (beating kentucky and vanderbilt, but losing to missouri only because it's on the road), and 3-5 actually (beating vanderbilt, kentucky, and missouri). UT COULD go as high as 6-2 (only losing to alabama and georgia), but that's a stretch! this year is really a toss up for our Vols!...

and, someone brought up the point that we were in MOST EVERY GAME last year, with coach dooley. one play here, one play there, and 1, 2, or even 3 of those losses are wins. so, taking that into consideration, imagine what could happen under coach jones...

go vols!

t

SevenT writes:

That is a pretty generous to predict UT finishes 5th. Particularly since they are in year one of building "Brick by Brick"?

4-8 likely

antonio14313 writes:

in response to Volfan1:

Motivation 101

locker room material? yahtzee!

GO VOLS!

t

beartn#223846 writes:

I would probably rank the East in the same order. Vandy was better than us last year, and Frankilin will be in his 3rd year in the SEC. I like Jones, but he still has to prove himself in the SEC. Also, we aren't a 1 year turnaround. It tooks us a few years to slide down where we are, and it will take a few years to be a challenger to win the SEC East again.

Who beat Richardson for 1st team Left Tackle? I may disagree with that choice.

voloffaith writes:

in response to SevenT:

4-8 likely

Your kittens were predicted to finish where? You and Brett Maverick aka who is he today need to get together and work on the scripts you use so that you accentuate each other's points.....oops already being done.........

On Topic, VOLS will be fine......Not going to BCS bowl....but think will play hard all the way..

jimr07 writes:

Vandy beats us twice in 45 years and they hold on to last year like they perennial conference champions.. when you think of national and conference champions.. Vandy is the first team i think of... because they have never won either.

cobragolfer writes:

in response to usafvol:

Any assaults or arrests today troll?

Delta Charlie is right. Missouri will finish ahead of UT. I'll even modify his statement ... "Tennessee ahead of ANYBODY? I don't think so". Now, go have your daddy bail you out.

knoxdad45 writes:

I don't expect miracles, or even a winning record, this year. If the team is well coached, disciplined, and understand their assignments I will consider the season a success. With these things the wins will come eventually.

marnel1958 writes:

Here's my 2 cents
1) I have never understood why sportswriters think the public CARES who these hacks THINK will win games, or where they will finish! The picks panel Adams does has lost humor since the first year he did it, so I quit looking at it. Most of these writers were in the stands on Friday Nights instead of on the field. I'm certainly not saying you have to have played the game to write about it, but don't assume a degree in Journalism qualifies you as a Talent and Coaching evaluator!
2) As Peabody starts playing upper echelon SEC teams, and a better-than-laughable OOC schedule, the wins won't be there for Pretender Franklin to hang his hat on. The blow-hards who come on this site and bloviate on how good they are, and talk about the present instead of the past, simply highlight Peabody's LACK of a successful past. Regardless of wins and losses this year, what UT fan would trade CBJ for CJF ??? Not I, nor anyone I know. So get us while were down, it won't last forever, it never does !!

FearTheVols1252 writes:

in response to Crafty_Commodore_4118:

Funny considering every one of your posts are a copy and paste job.

And how many times during the "Decades of Beatdowns" did we hear Vandy fans defend themselves by crying out "at least we don't recruit thugs". Well... that defense is no longer applicable.

What will be funny is when Vandy is back in the cellar AND you can no longer say you don't recruit thugs... just a matter of time.

Yank 'er down!

MetroplexMojo writes:

Mojo's inspirational quote of the day (slightly paraphrased)

"The definition of insanity is copying and pasting the same thing over and over and expecting people to give a sh-t."

Central_IL_Vol writes:

in response to DingoVol:

I agree! Candy is a flash-in-the-pan and Jimmy Franklin will be looking for other work come December.

Central_IL_Vol writes:

in response to Crafty_Commodore_4118:

CRAPPY COMMODE DORE,

Enjoy your short-lived moment in the sun because it will be a distant memory come November.

STICK THAT ANCHOR WHERE THE SUN DON'T SHINE!!

Central_IL_Vol writes:

in response to SevenT:

4-8 likely

SevenT, aka Gator MORON,

I'll bet you are TOO STUPID to name the ONLY two teams in college football to have NEVER lost 8 games in a season.

It ain't happening this year, either!

utvolfan1955 writes:

remember Crafty is not really a Candy fan. He is a pot stirring liar. More than likely a KNS employee trying to get hits for this site. Using some of his former user names he claimed to be a UT alum and supporter even though he ran his anti-Dooley/Hart schtick into the ground. Ignore him and he will go away

Central_IL_Vol writes:

in response to Crafty_Commodore_4118:

Crappy Commode Dore,

Here's a phrase for you:

CANDY WILL BE BUTCH'S B1TCHES!

Anchor UP!!!

Central_IL_Vol writes:

in response to FearTheVols1252:

Funny considering every one of your posts are a copy and paste job.

Yank 'er down!

Yank 'er down!

I just blew my lunch all over my screen with laughter!

BRILLIANT!

vol98champ writes:

I'll take Tiny's guarantee (vandy), a 7-5 season, and a tie for 4th and look forward to a great future. Koolaid? Maybe, but I predict a team that cares.

usafvol writes:

in response to cobragolfer:

Chances are you two share a toothbrush little man..

Fall_Creek_Vols writes:

More grist for the mill.

bobbarbilly writes:

Whew!!! I am just thankful that the oracles of the press have given out the results of the season before a kickoff has even been made. Saves me a lot of time.

ProfessionalHandicapper writes:

in response to DingoVol:

Vandy has the best returning receivers in the SEC and has played UT into overtime and then crushed UT last year. I don't see this team in Knoxville as good as last years unit without Hunter,Bray and Patterson. Vandy also has the longest win streak of any team in the SEC including Alabama who lost to A&M. I would be more worried about staying ahead of Missouri at this point as Vandy is way ahead of both UT and Mizzou. Vandy will have a better passer this season, and Franklin was smart enough to let him start and play an entire game, plus he started for Wyoming. UT has no experience at QB, receivers or any great RB. A terrible denfensive backfield and only one player on defense that made all sec. Why would you make such a foolish bet?

Central_IL_Vol writes:

in response to ProfessionalHandicapper:

Professional HAND-IN-THE-CRAPPER,

Are all Candy fans gluttons for punishment?? Are Candy all fans as stupid as yourself and Crappy Commode Dore? Do you not have a Candy website to go and discuss your decades of arse-kickings at the hands of the Big Orange?

If you think for one minute Candy will beat the Vols this year, you are either stoned or incredibly STUPID! Candy is Candy and that won't change! If beating one of Tennessee's worst teams in a century gives you reason to celebrate, you best enjoy it while it lasts, because it will not! Come November, it's back to reality for Bald Tool Jimmy Franklin and the Commode Dores; back to the annual blood-letting by the Big Orange!!

"YANK 'ER DOWN"

CommodoreCapital writes:

Not trying to be a troll but I am trying to see where UT is going to get their offense this year.
They should have a good o-line (same was said last year), the RB though have gotten some carries, one of them does not seem to have the leadership qualities you would want in your starting back , new Qb's, new Wr's, a below average kicking unit and return team.

The offense kept them in every game last year and without that fire power how are they going to score?

Volunteer-Varmint writes:

in response to antonio14313:

go vols!

t

I agree. 1, 2, maybe even 3 plays and we win more games, but in reality "almost" only counts in hand-grenades and horseshoes. I do believe in this new regime. I just wish I could be at just one game. Living in TX is too far to drive.

Thank goodness for Dish TV.

Go Vols! Make us proud of THE REAL UT!!!!!

ReeseHallRelic writes:

in response to ProfessionalHandicapper:

Since you're cherry-picking your stats, you'd think you could do a better job of it:

"...and only one player on defense that made all sec [sic]."

Yep, only one defensive UT player that's first team all-SEC [see that SHIFT key? it's there for a reason.]

But.... looking at that all-SEC defense, since Tennessee had only one player, I would have assumed that the CommodeDoors had at least two, if not more, since you chose to bring out that fact.

But... wait! There's not a single CommodeDoor player on the defense. Not one. Zero. Zilch. Nada. None.

And -- OMG! -- your QB started for Wyoming? That makes him a better passer than any of the four on UT's roster? He had 9 touchdowns and 8 interceptions for a team that went 3-9? THAT'S the QB that is to strike fear into the hearts of SEC defenses?

The longest winning streak in the SEC? Boy, when you have to resort to bragging about a four-game winning streak (which TAMU matches, by the way) you're really scraping for statistics. It was strictly a function of scheduling: Vandy got four of the weakest SEC opponents at the end of the season. (Yes, I'm acknowledging that UT was among the worst SEC teams last year.)

But you are right: Vandy sports an imposing 1-0-1 record against Tennessee in the last two seasons... obvious signs of complete dominance of their football program.

If that's how you assess football teams and football games, no wonder you're making your picks out of Opryland, instead of Vegas.

JSmith525 writes:

in response to DeltaCharlie3:

Tennessee ahead of Missouri? I don't think so.

The No. 21 Louisville Cardinals entered NOLA as 14.5-point underdogs to No. 3 Florida, making the 33-23 2013 Sugar Bowl the biggest shocker the BCS has ever seen.

God thank you. It's been such an awesome summer so far. How has you summer been DC3

JSmith525 writes:

I thought of going to Foxborough to See Candy play on Sept 21st as not many SEC teams come this way to play. But I figure they will be 0-3 by then and will probably get B_Slapped by the Minutemen. So I think I had rather watch a real game on the tube. And the Bucs are coming to town to play the Pats on the 22nd so I'll be there then anyway. No need to waste a Saturday, eh!