Trae Golden to transfer to Georgia Tech, seek waiver to play immediately

Tennessee guard Trae Golden (11) reacts after teammate forward Kenny Hall (20) made a basket during the second half against Kentucky at Thompson-Boling Arena Saturday, Feb. 16, 2013. Tennessee won 88-58 over Kentucky. (ADAM BRIMER/NEWS SENTINEL)

Photo by Adam Brimer

Trae Golden’s Tennessee career ended abruptly on May 7. A morning press release announcing his departure from the program came from the nether regions of left field.

Golden’s collegiate playing career, though, still apparently has life.

The senior point guard will play his final season at Georgia Tech and seek a hardship waiver from the NCAA in order to gain immediate eligibility.

Following a morning report of Golden’s transfer to Georgia Tech from ESPN.com, Georgia Tech confirmed the news in a press release.

“We are excited about Trae joining the Yellow Jacket family,” said Georgia Tech coach Brian Gregory. “Returning home to Atlanta, close to his family, to finish out his college career was extremely important to Trae. Also, the opportunity to earn his family’s second Georgia Tech degree — his older sister graduated in 2008 — was a key factor. “

Golden told ESPN.com’s Jeff Goodman on Saturday that his father, Robert Golden, is “severely ill.” The Golden family resides in Powder Springs, Ga., about 20 miles northeast of Atlanta, where Georgia Tech is located.

“I appreciate everything that Coach (Cuonzo) Martin and Tennessee did for me,” Golden told ESPN.com. “I feel it’s the best move for me to go home to Atlanta so I can be close to my family and help take care of my father.”

Calls from the News Sentinel to Golden and his father were not immediately returned.

The NCAA’s hardship transfer waiver allows transferring players to move to a new school without having to sit out an academic year. It’s granted to student-athletes who transfer due to family illness or financial hardship.

The 6-foot-2, 205-pound Golden started 58 of his 96 career games over three years with the Vols, averaging 9.7 points, 3.6 assists and 2.4 rebounds. He was the Vols’ second-leading scorer in 2012-13, averaging 12.1 points per game after leading UT in scoring with 13.7 points per game as a sophomore.

Following his transfer from UT, the News Sentinel cited a UT athletic department source with knowledge of the situation in a report that Golden’s departure was “based on academics” and a result of “repeated plagiarism.”

The source told the News Sentinel that Golden was not going to be permitted to continue at the university past the spring semester and would not have been allowed to attend summer school to repair his academic standing.

Golden told ESPN.com he left Tennessee in good academic standing.

“I know there were some rumors,” Golden told ESPN.com. “That’s not something I can control, but I’m on track to be the second person in my family to get their degree.”

Georgia Tech finished 16-15 last season.

“(Golden) has proven himself at the highest level and his experience and ability to score will help us take another step in our program’s rebuilding process,” Gregory added in the release. “We are very confident that Trae will be a great addition and be a positive member of our program and the Georgia Tech community.”

Golden’s void on the Tennessee roster has been filled by Memphis transfer Antonio Barton. The 6-foot-2 point guard will be eligible immediately for the Vols next season. He told the New Sentinel in early June he is completing his degree at Memphis this summer and will arrive at UT in “July, close to August.”

Barton averaged 5.6 points and 1.1 assists in 16.7 minutes per game as a junior last year.

Brendan F. Quinn covers Tennessee men’s basketball. Follow him at Twitter.com/BFQuinn

Get Copyright Permissions © 2013, Knoxville News Sentinel Co.

Henley-Street-Bridge writes:

Is he taking his woman with him?

powellvol82 writes:

Best of luck Trae. I don't know Henley-Street, is he taking you with him?

volistic writes:

If he is leaving UT due to being force out academically, I am kind of surprised that Ga Tech is accepting him. If that is the case, their academic standards have been greatly exaggerated.

mocsandvolsfan writes:

Better luck in Ga. my birth state. You had an above avg. stay in Vol land but injuries obviously hurt your overall effectiveness. I hope you're well and have a great year.

C'mon NCAA let him play ball.

Fall_Creek_Vols writes:

What really frosts my pumpkin about stores like this is the unnamed source and his/her alleged inside information. If you know about it, prove it. Otherwise, shut up. KNS: same for you. You don't come off pure as the driven snow just because you can quote an "unnamed source", even if they do "have knowledge of the situation" and are "speaking on the condition of anonymity because they are not authorized to speak on the subject". BTW, if you're "not authorized to speak on the subject", shut up.

It's a commentary on us that we all seem to love a sordid story. Now, it's academics. We already ruined the career of one educator, must we drag all aspects through the mud.

Good luck, Trae. Hope your dad gets well soon.

SouthALVol writes:

Fall_Creek_Vols, very well stated.

xanga writes:

KNS is horrible. End their monopoly on Knoxville.

monstermd writes:

in response to volistic:

I agree volistic. And the fact that he is seeking to play immediately must mean it was not related to disciplinary reasons. He will be missed this upcoming season but having a terminally ill dad puts things in perspective.

CoverOrange writes:

Both Golden and the "unnamed source" could be totally accurate, it's all in how they word it. "Based on academics" doesn't necessarily mean "failed every class" and "on track to graduate" allows wiggle room for one failed class due to plagiarism.

And being "unauthorized" to speak doesn't mean it is some deep throat character meeting John Adams in a dark alley, it could be Martin or Hart speaking off the record so the word gets out without it being officially release info.

chattabluetick writes:

Trae always played hard for the Vols, leaving it all on the court. I wish him well, and hope that his father gets better also. Good luck and maybe the NCAA will have a heart and grant him the hardship waiver.

jhayes0926#638474 writes:

Anyone heard about the status of Barton lately? Will it be into Aug before he shows up?

keepitreal4vols writes:

10seVol85_Part_Deux writes:

in response to volistic:

Agreed. I went my first two years at GT before I transferred to UT. I'm also wondering what he was majoring in at UT that would allow him to complete his degree at GT in one year. I think it's highly unlikely. As I recall, there aren't a lot of liberal arts majors available at GT, and all the technical programs they have would require a lot of courses you can bet your arse he hasn't taken as a UT athlete. I had already taken 25 hours of Calculus before I transferred, and I hadn't even taken a single class in my major yet at that point.

Maybe they have some basket-weaving majors specially for athletes? I mean, I seriously doubt there are a ton of high quality high school football players wanting (or even able) to get an engineering degree.

newportvol writes:

If he did get kicked out of TN Can The TN Brass tell GA tech WHy? Or would that be violating some privacy law?

volforeverandever writes:

Good luck.

1vavolfan writes:

KNS needs some new sources. Obviously not academics if he is eligible to play immediately at GA Tech. If I were the Golden family KNS would not be getting a statement at all. Get your story straight before you drag someones name through the mud, plagiarism is a big deal, much less repeated plagiarism.

chattabluetick writes:

No need for snide remarks about basket weaving classes and why he left. He is now a former Vol so just wish him well and leave it at that. Good luck Trae

sameolvolalum writes:

I wish him the best. Since GT is accepting Trae, you've gotta' believe academics haven't been the mitigating issue. Being as the KNS's list of "unnamed sources" most likely includes Jeffy Flowers, how can we trust their assumptions. BTW keapitreal. I'm an old dude and if you manage to live long enough you're going to magically morph into an old dude, too. Is that too deep for ya', puppy.

mongobfairchild writes:

in response to 10seVol85_Part_Deux:

There was an article in the AJC some time ago (I was unable to find it this morning) that centered on the degree at GT most of the athletes received. GT is no different than any other Univ when it comes to their athletes. They aren't turning out a team of Engineers. The classes and degree was a joke. Listen to ex GT QB Joe Hamilton speak and that's evident.

eVOLved writes:

in response to Fall_Creek_Vols:

Good luck, Trae. Hope your dad gets well soon.

BTW, a law career was ruined, not and educational career. Also, I'd be very happy for updates on what happened there. KNS, rise up.

Olddogsrule writes:

in response to eVOLved:

I doubt KNS could get the real story. What story they could get from an 'unnamed source' could have any imaginable motivation spinning facts and half truths behind it. Unless The University comes out with it's own official statement about Trae's leaving, which I believe it cannot because of students rights to privacy, everything KNS has printed is like a top spinning down. I can't stand the 'we heard but can't tell you who told us and what we heard is not really official but we got reason to think it's pretty much true ... maybe' type of reporting, especially about athletes. I do rather believe many pumpkin's got frosted over this.
Wishing Trae's father good health and the best for Trae.

bystVol writes:

I work at Tech within health informatics. Our students are among the best and the brightest in the nation, as well as many members of our faculty. However, it is true that some of Tech's athletes do not have the academic rigor that others have at Georgia Tech. Many of GT's athletes major in management. Nothing against management majors but we all can agree that management is not aerospace or biomedical engineering. I wish Trae and his family the best. Georgia Tech is still a very strong academic school with a high return on initial investment in the real world, after earning a Georgia Institute of Techonology degree.

Sources:

xanga writes:

hey kns u ran this last week. paper sales down again and had to pickup a few adjunct writers?

eVOLved writes:

in response to sameolvolalum:

same,
keap was referring to the speculation that TG left the program after the director of student judicial affairs (a lawyer) allegedly "diddled" UT students. The speculation is that TG was somehow involved in all of this. Keap thinks that TG is less likely to be raped by the male director of student judicial affairs at GT than he was by his younger, female counterpart at UT.

atnvol#283282 writes:

Good Luck Trae. I hope things work well for you in the future.

Regards, Mike

sameolvolalum writes:

in response to eVOLved:

same,

The initial portion of your response must have been unintentionally lost in space because your post makes absolutely no sense at all. Whaaaaaat? Keap (as you call him) wrote "The Ga Tech director of student affairs is some old dude, in case you were wondering......," so the closest to reasonable assumption I can make, after attempting to decipher your representation of keap's post, is that he was inferring that an older UT official is some sort of lecherous individual and is involved within these questionable allegations. It was my impression that the KNS has claimed, due to information supplied by some mysterious unnamed source, that Mr. Golden's academic status was the issue of note. What am I (or you) missing here?

BigOrangeSmoker writes:

Good move Trae,now youll at least have 1 year with a real coach instead of a wanna be.....hope the AD is watching and looking

brod writes:

very strange how his career at ut unfolded. nontheless, i think that ga. tech is a good fit for him. hopefully hubbs and barton can fill the void. maybe even step it up a notch.

in response to brod:

Very strange indeed. More peaks and valleys than a mountain range. At his best, Trae was as good at his position as anybody in the country. He had stretches where he was shooting 60+% from the floor, 50% from the arc, and 90% from the line, with six or eight assists, a couple of steals, five or six rebounds, and only a couple of turnovers.

Other nights...not so much. Some of those were no doubt due to various injuries and the need to develop a new mindset for the game. But there is no question that Trae's life is way more complicated than any of us might have expected. I hope things work out for him. I think the Vols will be fine with Barton, Hubbs, and Thompson.

AclockworkOrange writes:

in response to BigOrangeSmoker:

What have you been smoking big o smoker? Tenn had a better record than Ga Tech last year and you call CCM a wanna be coach? If you are a true Vol fan you should support the coach.

in response to AclockworkOrange:

This guy is totally, permanently, and even angrily down on the very idea of Martin as the UT coach and has been ever since Martin was hired. He writes something along the same stupid lines as that post on every basketball article. Just ignore him. I don't know if he is a racist or a fool or both, but he rather leans toward that flavor of opinion on any basketball topic.

mocsandvolsfan writes:

in response to BigOrangeSmoker:

What's your problem Mr. B. O. Smoke??

The opposite seems to be the case. Now Martin will have a year with a real point guard. Or two. Don't get me wrong! I loved Trae when he showed up. Injuries were a plague last year.

With this year's talent we may actually find some real fans posting on here.

Martin might have a year with "real fans". Woulnd't that just float your boat?

macon_volfan writes:

Lest we all forget Gregory was rumored to be UT's coach for a few hours on the day before (or maybe it was the day of) Martin's hire. Maybe Trae just wanted to see how that would have worked out.

mocsandvolsfan writes:

in response to macon_volfan:

I for one would love to see Trae do well there. I'd like to see him show his abilities that he was so Dr. Jeckyl with at UT.

Geogia Tech has had some awesome teams in the past. I actually have been an on again off again fan I guess. I used to pull for GT when I was a kid in Georgia. Just because my Dad pulled for the Bulldogs. We both became fans of UT quickly after moving to Tennessee. I still get a little confused when pulling for these teams but have always been for the Vols since except the few rare moments UTC had a fightin' chance against UT. I actually was leaning towards Holly Warlick last year. I actually felt guilty for UTC winning.lol

OK back to reality. Unless Trae's over whatever was ailing him I don't see any consistancy happening. But I sincerely hope he will play his best night in and night out.

martinvol34 writes:

in response to Fall_Creek_Vols:

Good luck, Trae. Hope your dad gets well soon.

There is nothing wrong with Trae Golden's father and I pray that remains the case because God does not like ugly. If the NCAA keeps allowing these transfers, there reputation will continue to plummet lower than it is. It's beyond pathetic.

in response to martinvol34:

Why do you say that? Are you a family friend? I'm pretty sure, loose as the rules seem to have gotten lately, that the NCAA doesn't grant free transfers based on somebody's unsubstantiated claim of a sick parent. Surely the party seeking the release or transfer has to provide some kind of evidence.