UT Lady Vols Hall of Famer Mary Ostrowski, 51, dies

Photo with no caption

Mary Ostrowski, a former Kodak All-American who helped Tennessee to three Final Fours, died Friday in Abingdon, Va., the school announced Saturday. She was 51.

Ms. Ostrowski was the top-rated women’s basketball recruit in the nation at Parkersburg (W.Va.) Catholic High School before playing at Tennessee from 1980-84.

She was diagnosed in 2007 with multiple myeloma, a type of blood cancer.

“It’s a sad day for the Lady Vol basketball program,” UT coach Holly Warlick said through a school media release. “We’ve lost a member of our family, a true UT legend and a friend.

“Mary was a great person who battled this disease with the same fight and determination she displayed as a competitor on the basketball court. It’s difficult to process and accept the loss of a wonderful woman like Mary, and our hearts and condolences go out to her family.”

Ms. Ostrowski led Parkersburg Catholic to 88 consecutive victories, including Class A basketball titles in 1977 and 1978.

At Tennessee, the 6-foot-2 forward, scored 1,729 points and grabbed 994 rebounds. She currently ranks 10th and fifth, respectively, in those categories.

Ms. Ostrowski was a 1982 Kodak All-American and SEC All-Tournament Team member and an All-SEC selection in 1982 and 1984. She averaged 15.9 points and 8.6 rebounds as a senior.

Tennessee advanced to NCAA Final Four in 1981, 1982 and 1984 during Ms. Ostrowski’s career. She was a member of the U.S. National Team 1981-1983, helping the Americans win gold at the 1983 World University Games. She also played on the U.S. Junior National Team 1978-80.

She was inducted into the Lady Vols Hall of Fame in 2006.

In high school, Ms. Ostrowski was the first female winner and a three-time recipient of the Russell A. Thom Award (1977-79), which is presented to West Virginia’s top basketball player. In 2011, the West Virginia Sports Writers Association renamed the award the Mary Ostrowski Award. The organization also inducted her into the West Virginia Sports Hall of Fame in 2012 as its fifth female honoree.

A message expressing condolences was posted on former UT coach Pat Summitt’s Twitter account.

“Thinking of Mary O today. Love and prayers for her family. Once a Lady Vol, always a Lady Vol,” the message said.

Beth Hundman, Ms. Ostrowski’s sister, said a memorial had been scheduled for July 27 at the Knights of Columbus in Parkersburg.

Get Copyright Permissions © 2013, Knoxville News Sentinel Co.

kyvol98 writes:

Sad day indeed. My condolences to her family and friends.

OwensboroVol writes:

I have lost my wife and her sister to cancer. I can't begin to express my anger that people who We all love continue to die from this terrible disease. Will We ever find a cure? My heartfelt regrets go out to the family of such a wonderful Woman who brought us all joy watching her play. I will add her to my prayer list.

voloffaith writes:

To Owensboro no one knows the pain you have better than your Creator. Anger has never solved anything except once when Jesus cleared the temple. I am watching one precious lady at church fight for her life with strong faith and compassion for those in her same situation. We continue to pray for peace and comfort for those in these and past situations.

oldster writes:

I had the privilege of playing some pick up basketball games with and against Mary at the Deane Hill Rec center many years ago (20-25). Some of the other guys were former college players. Mary took a back seat to none. She was a marvelous passer, defender and shooter. She was a wonderful team mate and a genuinely nice person to talk to. I have often wondered what happened to her. I am saddened to hear that her life ended so young.

BillVol writes:

She was my favorite Lady Vol ever. She was so smooth and played with such class. God I hate cancer.

tovolny writes:

This is sad. When someone you know passes, life becomes a little more precious. Let's pray for her family and friends. She will be missed...so sorry.

McMinnVol writes:

I agree this is sad news. I was a UT student for two of the years when she played in Knoxville and I remember seeing her on several occasions walking around campus. The article does not say what she did for a living. Does anyone know if she was a coach or what she did for a career after she left UT? Praying for her family.

snowpeapod#263184 writes:

in response to McMinnVol:

I was of the understanding that she worked in management for UPS.

orangecountyvols writes:

Vols,

Very sad news. This happening to a well respected and wonderful person, based on all your above comments.

Sincere prayers go to Mary's family and friends.
So young. A lady who made her family and Vol nation very proud.