Florida's Morrison arrested and suspended

GAINESVILLE, Fla. (AP) — Florida linebacker Antonio Morrison has been suspended for at least the first two games of the regular season after being arrested for the second time in five weeks.

Morrison was arrested early Sunday for barking at a police dog and resisting arrest. Both charges are misdemeanors.

Later Sunday, Gators coach Will Muschamp announced that Morrison would be held out of the opener against Toledo (Aug. 31) and the road game the next week against Miami.

"I'm extremely disappointed in Antonio Morrison's decision making," Muschamp said in a statement.

Morrison played in 13 games, with three starts as a freshman, and is expected to have a bigger role this season

The sophomore from Bolingbrook, Ill., also was arrested June 16 for allegedly punching a bouncer. He received deferred prosecution on the simple battery charged, a deal in which he was ordered to stay out of trouble for six months.

He was back in court Sunday, when a judge released him on his own recognizance.

According to the Alachua County Sheriff's Office, Morrison walked up to an open window on a police car and barked at a K-9 dog named Bear. The dog responded by barking back, prompting an officer to arrest Morrison for interfering with a police canine. According to the arresting officer, Morrison's actions diverted the canine's "attention from my investigation and towards him."

Officers said Morrison resisted attempts to handcuff him.

Morrison told officers he made a "woof-woof" sound at Bear because the dog barked at him.

BolivrBob writes:

Oh my God! He barked at a dog! 20 years hard labor!

volistic writes:

Did the dog bark at him first? This could very well be a case of "stand your ground." I think the stand your ground law in Florida removes any duty you have to retreat from a barking dog. On the other hand, if he initiated the barking, the dog was well within his rights to bark back, I think. I'll have to check with Smoky on that.

volistic writes:

Al Sharpton just released a statement that this was a clear case of profiling. Had he just meowed like a cat, he would not have been arrested. If this is true, everyone should be outraged.

antonio14313 writes:

Sounds like a BS arrest to me...

t

civilianvol_formerly_marinevol writes:

I'm no Florida fan, but isn't this a case where the cop should have just said "don't do that" instead of slapping cuffs on the guy? I think even Barney Fife would have just warned him to "Nip it" instead of arresting him for barking. If a kid had been walking with his parents and barked at the dog, what would the cop have done? I think cops tend to be their own worst enemy.

civilianvol_formerly_marinevol writes:

in response to volistic:

Now that would be interesting for him to use the stand your ground defense, saying the dog barked at him first. Besides, what was that dog doing in that neighborhood at night?

volistic writes:

in response to civilianvol_formerly_marinevol:

If Morrison is found not guilty, I hope the Florida dogs will organize a rally in protest and have a bark-in.

civilianvol_formerly_marinevol writes:

First you have former Florida player Aaron Hernandez charged with at least one murder, and now you have Florida player Antonio Morrison being charged with barking. Florida fans have got to be asking themselves "When will this nightmare end?"

volistic writes:

Since he was released on his own recognizance, does he have to wear an ankle bracelet, or can he just wear a flea collar?

civilianvol_formerly_marinevol writes:

in response to volistic:

I think that is all that is required if his shots are up to date. They wanted to get him out of the holding cell because he kept dragging his butt on the floor.

orangecountyvols writes:

Will have been released in time for the Lizard's big game with Open U , then the Vols.

Orange Beach and fellow lizard trolls will have him back on the field.

pingkr62 writes:

I never knew barking at a police dog was a crime. It must have been McGruff the crime dog. LMAO!!!

pingkr62 writes:

in response to BolivrBob:

Oh my God! He barked at a dog! 20 years hard labor!

Did anyone notify Eric Holder?

volnbig11land writes:

barking at a police dog

hahahaha, where are the gayter trolls now????

hahahahahahahahhahahahahahahahahaha

volnbig11land writes:

in response to KnoxVegas88:

+10

BIVOLAR_BEARE writes:

Well, K-9 dogs/officers are law enforcement personnel. Better respect, Bi@tch!!

golfman1975 writes:

Muschump will put him in the dog house.

voloffaith writes:

Most of these postings look like they are straight off SNL back in the day....."Thank you Hayne..."See who catches/identifies that one..........GM

civilianvol_formerly_marinevol writes:

I don't think they want him to spend any time in jail over this. He'd keep the other prisoners up all night with his constant barking. But they've got to stop this behavior. It starts with barking, but before you know it he'll be chasing cars. From there it goes to biting the mailman. Hopefully, they can get his attention before it's too late.

volnsc writes:

Looks like the Gators have a Dawg on the roster.

volistic writes:

in response to civilianvol_formerly_marinevol:

The worst part is when they start licking themselves... well, you know. I wonder if this is the same guy that chased my cat up a tree last week.

civilianvol_formerly_marinevol writes:

It's OK to have fun with this story, but we shouldn't forget that there is a real victim here. That K-9 dog (named bear) will probably have to have extensive counseling because of this. The trauma induced by a human barker can destroy a K-9 dog's confidence, and turn him into a leg humper.

volistic writes:

in response to civilianvol_formerly_marinevol:

I never knew that. I get an education every time I come on here.

volnsc writes:

in response to civilianvol_formerly_marinevol:

I can go bed now with a ligh heart knowing why my dog is such a humper. Thanks. GBO

Snapshot writes:

in response to volistic:

Hilarious....he should have been arrested just for being stupid! Next time maybe he should just go up and poke him with a stick. Stupid gaters.

govols26 writes:

Most entertaining comments I've seen in a long time here!

volprof80 writes:

in response to KnoxVegas88:

Can we please not make this a political forum?

vol98champ writes:

Not a single gator troll yet. I guess they are ashamed of this disgusting behavior. I didn't know Fla cops had so much free tim on their paws.

CantStandCantStandSaban writes:

Just thankful that our guys have stayed out of the pokey and the headlines.

civilianvol_formerly_marinevol writes:

in response to KnoxVegas88:

I don't really have a dog in that fight.

volprof80 writes:

in response to KnoxVegas88:

Sorry, but I don't think your racism is anything to lighten up about.

I politely asked to not make this a political forum because I respect your right to your opinion, and you respond with an insult. This should be a site about UT football and not some right-wing "I hate black people" forum.

The sad thing is that you don't realize how racist you are. It's always black people that are racist, isn't it? At least you don't have a problem with African-American athletes entertaining you. I wonder if you would tell any of our African-American players to their faces that their lives are meaningless or that it's wrong for the government to prosecute hate crimes against them? I suspect you just sit behind your computer screen and insult people anonymously.

civilianvol_formerly_marinevol writes:

I wonder if his attorney will try to get a flea bargain from the prosecutor.

cyclonevol87 writes:

Was the dog white or black because if it was white he could have been racial profiling.

dvols writes:

BOW WOW WOW YIPPEE YO YIPPEE YAY

Samuel_L_Salma_GataBait_HowBoutDemCowboys_BlueWaffles88 writes:

Move along folks, nothing to see here...

civilianvol_formerly_marinevol writes:

in response to volprof80:

Sorry, but I don't think your racism is anything to lighten up about.

I have a feeling that you and I probably vote the same way, but I didn't interpret his comment the way you evidently did. I think it was a joke making reference to all the attention given a recent case in Florida, and how this incident is being blown way out of proportion. At least I didn't see it as hatred, just people trying to have fun.

BIVOLAR_BEARE writes:

in response to Samuel_L_Salma_GataBait_HowBoutDemCowboys_BlueWaffles88:

Move along folks, nothing to see here...

Finally, a gator backer..Wassup 88??

BIVOLAR_BEARE writes:

in response to volprof80:

Sorry, but I don't think your racism is anything to lighten up about.

You're the one stirring the pot..I don't recall ever seeing you post on here before..Hmmmmm??

Samuel_L_Salma_GataBait_HowBoutDemCowboys_BlueWaffles88 writes:

in response to BIVOLAR_BEARE:

Finally, a gator backer..Wassup 88??

Enjoying my week off from work, how ya been, BB?

BIVOLAR_BEARE writes:

in response to Samuel_L_Salma_GataBait_HowBoutDemCowboys_BlueWaffles88:

Enjoying my week off from work, how ya been, BB?

Hangin' out in West TN, my man..

volistic writes:

in response to volprof80:

Sorry, but I don't think your racism is anything to lighten up about.

I am probably much more liberal than you are, since I am more liberal than anyone I know, but I have kept a sense of humor and value and respect my conservative friends. I think this post is inappropriate. Actually, I thought his comment was funny. In fact, I had made a similar comment about Al Sharpton and profiling. Whether you're liberal or conservative, you should be able to joke about current events, even when the joke is about your side of an issue. And, when you start a conversation by calling someone a racist, you have pretty well ended any civil discourse.

civilianvol_formerly_marinevol writes:

in response to BIVOLAR_BEARE:

Hangin' out in West TN, my man..

Hey Top, how long does it take to adjust to civilian life? I've gone a week now without shining my shoes, and I've learned to quit answering the phone with "yes, sir" and I don't stand at attention anymore when someone is giving me instructions, but it has been hard.

BIVOLAR_BEARE writes:

in response to civilianvol_formerly_marinevol:

Hey, it takes a while to put the military in a man, and it's going to take even longer to get it out. I still wake up at 0400 hrs every morning having fully retired in 2009. Being a Marine, you devil dogs will probably never be debriefed..

MetroplexMojo writes:

in response to dvols:

BOW WOW WOW YIPPEE YO YIPPEE YAY

Death Row's definitely in da house (A. Hernandez)

CoverOrange writes:

Was the cop's name Bryant? I suspect Bama fans.

Remember, Muschamp takes full responsibility, it is all his fault. He said so just last week.

CoverOrange writes:

in response to volprof80:

Sorry, but I don't think your racism is anything to lighten up about.

Even black people think black people are racists more often than they think white people are.
But your overreaction to a few jokes make me think you're an anti-racist racist.

BigbearVol writes:

The officer should just be lucky gata-dawg didn't pee on his leg to mark his territory. This story reminds me of the movie Half Baked, where the guy killed a diabetic police horse with a bag of munchies. LOL Beware Nasty NATE!!

tenuscvol writes:

You guys have posted some funny stuff here tonight. A good break from the rivalry stuff I was expecting. Hope everyone has a great week and I'm sure we'll be "doggin'" each other soon.

Go Vols!

Olddogsrule writes:

in response to volprof80:

Sorry, but I don't think your racism is anything to lighten up about.

^
Assburgers syndrome --- dosen't know how to act in public.

Olddogsrule writes: