Tennessee's football uniforms will have minor changes in 2013

Tennessee tight end Mychal Rivera (81) celebrates with teammate Justin Hunter (11) after scoring a touchdown against Missouri during the first half at Neyland Stadium Saturday, Nov. 10, 2012.

Photo by Amy Smotherman Burgess

Tennessee will be tweaking its iconic orange and white uniforms in 2013, adding a symbol to reinforce new coach Butch Jones’ emphasis on the Vols as a statewide team.

The Vols will wear a state of Tennessee patch above players’ names on both the home and road jerseys, Jones confirmed to the News Sentinel on Monday.

Tennessee will also add a checkerboard background to the orange numbers on road uniforms. Jones said the changes, first reported Monday by Volquest.com, would be minor and subtle and would reinforce his statewide message.

Although Tennessee has never varied much from its traditional colors, the Vols have used different uniforms in the past.

In 2009, the Vols wore black jerseys with orange pants during a Halloween game against South Carolina. That combination was named the third-worst uniform combination ever by the popular Uni Watch blog.

UT wore all orange in the 2007 SEC Championship Game. Tennessee has also experimented with piping of various colors and sizes on the sides of pants over the last decade.

Tennessee opens the season Aug. 31 against Austin Peay at Neyland Stadium. Players officially report for practice on Aug. 1.

Evan Woodbery covers Tennessee football. Follow him on Twitter.

Get Copyright Permissions © 2013, Knoxville News Sentinel Co.

jandjhome#228397 writes:

I think the uniform changes are great.

Ayres_Hall writes:

Traditional is the new black.

VOL_IN_BAMA writes:

Instead of a patch above their name, what if they put their name inside the outline of the state? Just a thought

rbwtn writes:

Personally some of the new uniforms I've seen in the past couple years are pretty awesome and I would like to know what our uniforms would look if we had them custom designed from a top designer. We might be pleasantly surprised. To the conservative fans that have worn the same cloths to the games for years. Sometimes Change is good. It kind of gets rid of the embarrassing Past.

VolzsFan writes:

They will look like the same sub 500 squad regardless of what they wear...and will for decades to come.

wreck429 writes:

If they line up and knock the snot out of some folks I don't care if they show up in tutus.

volcycle writes:

in response to rbwtn:

Google "ncstate unitard." The "top" designer idea didn't work out too well for NC State back in the day.

mountainbrook writes:

in response to VolzsFan:

You are thinking of the Gators. Even Vandy's recruiting class is rated better right now. Meanwhile TN is #1 and is followed by Miami and Fla State. Poor little Muskrat just can't keep up (except in player arrests).

RememberWhen writes:

in response to VOL_IN_BAMA:

a better thought would be to take the names OFF the jerseys! They serve absolutely no purpose.

Henley-Street-Bridge writes:

I'm for the Tennessee 'penn State" look; one orange stripe, take the T's off, black shoes and mean nasty looking tattoos allowed. No names on the back this is a team sport and has nothing to do with U.

UTvols33 writes:

Solid white pants, no stripes, and black shoes. I like the "no names" idea ^^ also.

GO VOLS! BEAT FLORIDA!

tomatosoup writes:

Just a though but I kind of like the idea of a white helmet with only an orange T on it. Regardless, I can't wait until the first kickoff!!! Gooooo Voooooools!!!!

usafvol writes:

I think an orange face mask would look pretty cool..

frblalack writes:

Stick with the tradition!!! Orange and White!!!

maxvolfan#217855 writes:

Orange camo! That would look cool. But seriously 'The Look' is very attractive to these young kids nowadays. Look how Oregon won over a lot of California recruits.

bigorangejungle writes:

Where's the rendering? Not even an artist's sketch?? Like the thought of taking the checkerboards on the road with us!

maxvolfan#217855 writes:

antonio14313 writes:

in response to bigorangejungle:

i agree. i like the descriptions, but how about an illustrated visual.

still should be a good fit. pun intended...

go vols!

t

tomatosoup writes:

in response to maxvolfan#217855:

+1...Love the kamo idea! Go Vooools!

Tadvol writes:

I personnaly would like on away uniforms to get rid of the black outline on numbers and names and go with a darker orange trim .. Tennessee orange trimmed in darker orange to assist those in pressbox .. darker orange would help numbers standout without the awful black there. hope they dont keep names in black ..please !!

RockyMtnVol writes:

Metallic Orange T and Stripe, subdued checkered board jerserys with outlined numbers, names and the Tennessee State on one arm and the State Flag on the other. I like the idea of a Orange Face guard, not sure how distracting that could be.

Go Vols!!

VolMoment writes:

in response to RememberWhen:

They serve a great reason. If you are not able to attend the game then you do not have a program. Many players want a certain number so their high school fans can tell who they are. Your logic would be we don't have numbers or names because they have no purpose.

tdvol1989 writes:

Please ditch the orange stripes on the white pants. It looks 70's. remember the 98 team?

TheFuj writes:

I like the traditional orange and white, but the kids nowadays like the different uniforms. AL has done well with the basic, but Oregon has done pretty good with the variety. It does come down to talent and then coaching. Coaches have to get the talent though.
The black jerseys were great for that game though. It was Halloween, and a good SC team came to town. We jumped on them like a dog on a bone. Spurrier was throwing his visor in the 1st quarter. May have been last time we beat SC as well.

ebrownvol writes:

Minor changes to the "Orange & White" are always OK. PLEASE never even think of the black jerseys again. Did not look like our team on the field. GO VOLS!!!

OrangeCrush writes:

The black helmets on this link with the Vols Logo on the side are pretty cool. Use these and outline the numbers on the home jerseys with black and add a black stripe down the pants.

Recruits like this and I believe the majority of the fans would too.

"Believing in BUTch"

cyclonevol87 writes:

in response to LEGAL_SYSTEM_WORKS:

Come on if your going to be a Troll you have to do better than that,that was weak.

murrayvol writes:

in response to mountainbrook:

Need to cut Will some slack. He's still cycling through Meyer's thug pipeline.

antonio14313 writes:

in response to RememberWhen:

...unless you actually want to know the last name of the person under that jersey.

i'd think that most players would want you to know what their name is.

go vols.

t

woodwr#217203 writes:

in response to Henley-Street-Bridge:

Actually, given our unique color, go for it!

I'd like an Orange Helmet, to exactly match the jersey color.

GerryOP writes:

in response to VolzsFan:

Mumble, grumble, bumble...

arkyvol writes:

don't screw with the uniforms!

licknpromise777#651578 writes:

in response to Henley-Street-Bridge:

Team sport?? Tell that to the kicker lining up for a 45 yard field goal for the win in OT or the guy fielding a punt with 6 unblocked guys coming to take off his head. I enjoy most of your posts but this one suggests your older than dirt..If there was a poll by players for the ugliest uniforms in football; Penn State would win by a landslide followed by Bama's ultra cool 1948 stylings..These kids don't want to look like Red Grange..If Iam not mistaken the first thing Coach O'Brien did was put the names back on PSU jerseys

gohawks1 writes:

in response to mountainbrook:

5-Star reply.

UTVOL2001 writes:

in response to VOL_IN_BAMA:

agree

ActualUTAlum writes:

I like the idea of the state above the last name. Even though we copied it from UK basketball.

Olddogsrule writes:

in response to OrangeCrush:

Recruits like this and I believe the majority of the fans would too.

"Believing in BUTch"

Well, the Tennessee patch is fine. I had it up on another site (where I don't know) when in breezed my dotty dotter the nursing student to accost the computer to show me how little food value there is in ALL my favorite things, ... and et cetera!!!!!
Oh Well .... gotta make life changes to stay healthy don't we. Sea changes I don't like tho!

As would be those ##%@&!! checkerboard pants an any helmet without the Power T on it that's not white! Most of that %$#@&!! if I was forced to wear I quit the team. YUCK!!! Makes u wunder how anyone culd be considered a top designer who'd put out $#!^ like that!

GreerVol22 writes:

in response to maxvolfan#217855:

max, not sure if you are aware, but this link downloads some kind of virus or spyware in the background. my antivirus caught it and shut it down. Might want to check it.

CoverOrange writes:

in response to maxvolfan#217855:

Ugh!

If they are going to use checkerboards, use them in place of the stripes on the pants and maybe on the side panels only of the road jersies.

The_Ghost_of_Neyland writes:

I like the state image on the uniforms somewhere. Good call...

BIVOLAR_BEARE writes:

The Volunteers of Tennessee should recognize our great state with the three star symbol for each section of the state. I love the idea and always proud to be from Tennessee..GBO!!

snowvol writes:

in response to Tadvol:

Absolutely!! The black assists the folks in the press box - with all the creativity out there, for better or for worse, at adidas (and Nike), lose the black! The darker orange is a great idea. Or even a subtle checkerboard trim that simply serves to highlight the number.

The black has no place at UT. Unless we want to be Oregon State or Oklahoma State.

drwut70 writes:

I think some of the minor adjustments the coach is proposing make sense for a number of reasons. And there have been changes in the past but the same orange and white colors have remained. It must have an impact based on all the "tradition" comments I have seen from recent commitments and recruits. So ------ Go Big Orange.
Well, except for all the juveniles on the various comment boards I guess its Go Big Grey, Black, Orange, White, Silver, what ever...

MetroplexMojo writes:

I know this is heresy but I like the new Florida uniforms....

The front of the jersey is orange with the inmate number inside the outline of the panhandle

The back of the jersey says FDOC with the same inmate number

The pants are Gator Blue Jorts

There are matching ankle braclets and dog leashes

Orange_Power_T writes:

in response to snowvol:

Disagree. Orange outlined in orange helps me spot a player from 200' away in the press box? Just not seeing it. As far as the black goes, good thing you were not a Vols fan from 1900 to 1929. Black was the main color. I'm a TN alumni from the 70's and I'm all for tradition. Having said that, the players today are much different than were in my era. If they start winning, let them modify the uniforms a bit. I was at the SC game on Halloween, and the place was electrified! We had that game won coming out of the tunnel.

utvolfan1955 writes:

in response to LEGAL_SYSTEM_WORKS:

too bad you still work for the KNS Crafty

VolGrad writes:

in response to frblalack:

Stick with the tradition!!! Orange and White!!!

From 1911 to 1920-21, black was the primary color for the Tennessee Volunteer football team uniforms. That is also part of our tradition.

But until they come up with a better design for a black uniform, I'd prefer to stick with the orange and white combinations.

The Power T on the helmet needs to stay. But there is no need for "Tennessee" to be spelled out anywhere on the jersey as long as that Power T is there.

As for the state of Tennessee logo, I reserve any opinion until I actually see it. I understand the statement there. But I think that statement is made sufficiently once we establish 10+ wins every season. At that point it will be clear to all in-state recruits that if they really want to represent their state, Tennessee is their first, best choice.

GBO!

OwensboroVol writes:

I think the State of Tennessee patch is a great idea. I'm not so sure about the checkerboard pattern on the away uniforms.

Olddogsrule writes:

in response to snowvol:

Not to be contrarian with you but I disagree.

Actually, Tennessee's first uniforms had a black jersey, and black has, off and on, ALWAYS been a part of the Tennessee color scheme, to a greater or lesser extent. So if you're truly 'traditional' black is A-OK. Here's a couple of links to a history of the Volunteer's uni changes over the years. Click on the date to open a link to an image of each style.

This one has cool prints to get.

This link to a search for images has pics of the 'Tennessee' patch. I like it.

Black is a part of Volunteer history and absolutely does belong. An all black uni is OK with me. Just NOT some 'fashion plate' designers goofy ideas.

How about a candyapple metalflake pearlescent white helment with a metallic orange machined Power T? Yeah sure! I dunno, well maybe?

Actually, for any given year, whatever makes the players feel confident and they want to wear.

It's their team! Not ours.

golfman1975 writes:

the uniforms will have some orange and some white on them.