Butch Jones clean sweeps 'car wash'

Tells ESPN that 'every day is like fourth-and-1'

wade rackley/university of tennessee

wade rackley/university of tennessee Tennessee football coach Butch Jones, left, appears with ESPN’s Chris Fowler during an interview Tuesday in Bristol, Conn.

ESPN impounded half the SEC football coaches on Tuesday, dressing up the seizure as a “car wash.”

Butch Jones made the trip, ducking into a morning charter flight bound for Bristol, Conn. According to the ever-watchful eye of social media, he and his University of Tennessee entourage, including son, Alex, left Knoxville at 7:20 a.m.

Arriving on ESPN’s campus, Jones was joined by Arkansas coach Bret Bielema, Auburn’s Gus Malzahn, Florida’s Will Muschamp, South Carolina’s Steve Spurrier and Kentucky’s Mark Stoops. One imagines them looking at each other and collectively saying, “Why are we together again?”

The six just traversed SEC Media Days last week — a three-day circus functioning as a feeding frenzy for ESPN. As did the SEC’s eight other coaches, who all likewise traveled to Bristol on Monday.

Nonetheless, Jones dusted off his playbook of catchphrases and buzzwords Tuesday.

The “car wash” angle is meant to elicit the idea that coaches will be scanned, scrubbed and appraised by the network’s stable of talking heads.

Something like that.

So Jones embarked on the assignment. He wore a grey suit, orange-on-orange striped tie, white pocket square and Power T lapel pin. He smiled for ESPN programs “College Football Live,” “SportsCenter,” “College GameDay” and “Highly Questionable,” and participated in a live online chat and a podcast.

Referred to by ESPN’s Chris Fowler as, “The new boss at Tennessee,” Jones was live nationwide at 2:40 p.m. He told Fowler the key to rebuilding Tennessee will be “the standards and expectations that you abide by every day” and the Vols need to become “a better football team second by second, minute by minute, day by day and month by month.”

When asked for the best piece of advice he’s received since coming to UT, Jones dusted off, “When you compete in the SEC, every day is like fourth-and-1 for the national championship.”

Same quotes. Different day.

Don’t blame Jones, though. Most politicians don’t make as many public appearances as he does.

In an afternoon live chat with ESPN online users, Jones turned his normal verbiage into cyber-speak. One morsel of news came early when Adam from Knoxville asked Jones if he’d “be wearing the orange pants during football games?”

For the uninformed, the Ghost of Derek Dooley now resides in those trousers. Which is why it was surprising when Jones answered, “Still in the evaluation process. That could be a very good possibility.”

UT fans brushing aside office duties to follow the online chat may have panicked.

Later, the News Sentinel learned it was all a false alarm. Jones was referring his team wearing orange pants, not himself.

When asked by Josh in Chattanooga how much he and his staff works, Jones said, “Myself and our coaches probably in a week put in between 80-90 hours.”

Perhaps Tuesday could have been better used as a day off.

Jones would be unlikely to agree. Repetitive or not, he’s proved he’ll stay on message and deliver it wherever, whenever he’s asked.

Even in a car wash.

Brendan F. Quinn covers Tennessee men’s basketball and football. Follow him at Twitter.com/BFQuinn

Get Copyright Permissions © 2013, Knoxville News Sentinel Co.

volnbig11land writes:

I like what I'm hearing. Keep it going Coach, and get us back to the top!

Go Vols!

texasvolunteer1973 writes:

PLEASE!!! NO ORANGE PANTS!!!!

aaronw writes:

Johnny Major wore the orange pants too.

thevoice writes:

in response to texasvolunteer1973:

PLEASE!!! NO ORANGE PANTS!!!!

Seriously!! I sure don't want to see anything that reminds me of our previous "coach." Maybe orange plaid or orange/white stripes. But not solid orange.

Volunteer-Varmint writes:

in response to aaronw:

Johnny Major wore the orange pants too.

True. But Majors is ALL VOL

oldvol59 writes:

He can wear Orange pants all he wants as long as we are winning and/or not getting blown off the field like we didn't belong there.
Good luck to you Coach, have a great season!

NashvillePreds writes:

Interesting that Quinn described the pants as, "lurid."
Problem with the Orange Quinn?

Go Vols

60s70s80s90s00s10sallvol writes:

Hey gang I invested in some Orange Pants and I intend to wear them. I'm all Orange don't ever doubt it. I support everyone who gives their all for Tennessee so get over it.

pingkr62 writes:

in response to oldvol59:

Good luck to you Coach, have a great season!

I agree, I could care less if he wore a pink house coat. I want IMPROVEMENT and a team that plays their butts off for four quarters. I the team can do that, the wins will come. G.B.O.!!!

SouthPaVol writes:

In the past, when anyone worked 80-90 hours a week at something, there was usually a marked improvement...eventually. I know hard work does not equal success, but effort goes a long way toward being where we want to be...national champions! Go Vols!

abnerPeabody writes:

Wear what ever he wants as long as it is orange and white.That after all is our school colors. Are you guys ashamed for a Coach to wear the School colors?

BIVOLAR_BEARE writes:

I kind of liked the orange pants, the shoes needed to be white with orange stripes with an orange/white belt..GBO!!

Olddogsrule writes:

Those who don't like orange pants can eat a rotten lizzard egg. Orange IS Tennessee. So CDD didn't win wearing them, that's no reflection on the school colors. For Quinn to call the pants Dooley had to have the tailors do over to get the CORRECT shade of UT orange LURID is a rather strange, stupid Adamsesque remark. Not so 'mighty' if you ask me. Sort of a quisling suck up to folks who incorrectly associate the orange pants with losing. I say if you got orange pants, wear 'em. Show your school spirit and don't let some silly commentaterhead dissuade you.

Every game, every play. I like it.

chattabluetick writes:

Dooley was a terrible Defensive Coordinator hire away from winning with those Orange pants own. He is now a former coach so lets concentrate on our new coach who is giving it everything he's got to get the Vols back on top. I don't care if he wears an orange skirt as long as he restores the Vols to where they belong.

Vol43 writes:

Some of the things I'm looking for are intensity of play, self respect and respect for the coaching staff. Win or lose, I want to see these guys fight to the finish and display class and character. We haven't seen this in awhile. Go Vols!

mocsandvolsfan writes:

I bet Kiffin loves Dooley geting the attention on here!

Back to Jones? I hope you don't burn out coach.

spencer1989#206886 writes:

I am honestly trying to recall what last coach that worked so hard on recruiting. I'm not really sure if I kept up with it back then. I'm not sure if Phil did in his early days or not. But I will give Jones credit, he is working his butt off on getting the program turned around.....And it's working on the verbal commitments that we have so far.

10seVol85_Part_Deux writes:

I liked the Orange pants too. Dooley and the Vols didn't lose because of the pants. If orange pants remind you of Dooley and losing, maybe you'd like them to change the school's colors?

Were you upset that Jones wore an orange tie or power T lapel pin? Dooley wore those too. Jones better not dare wear a white polo with a power-T on it either. If he does, it'll feel like the ghost of Derek Dooley is haunting our sidelines.

Personally, I don't care what he wears either, as long as he leads our guys to respect. Maybe he has some orange fur chaps and a giant orange cowboy hat?

CoverOrange writes:

in response to Olddogsrule:

Every game, every play. I like it.

I got the same feeling about this article, had that Adams snarky flavor to it. Unusual for Quinn.

However, let it be known I did not choose to be a UT fan because of the color orange. It is the color of my favorite team and I'll wear an orange hat and orange shirt but I'm not painting my house in that color. On the other hand, how many teams have some shade of red, or blue? Orange stands out.

orangecountyvols writes:

Olddogsrule,

Just want you to know many of us like the way you think, especially I do ! No nonsense, just a tell it like it is Vol fan.

If you have an extra seat at a game, save it for us !

Go Vols

MetroplexMojo writes:

in response to CoverOrange:

Painting the walls of a game room in an orange and white checkerboard pattern always looks good. It's easy, cheap, and creative (especially if you got white walls to work with) .

antonio14313 writes:

Anyone that doesn't agree with, or like, what Coach Butch Jones has done thus far for the Vols football program is not a Tennessee Volunteer.

GO VOLS!!!

t

DonK37920 writes:

in response to aaronw:

Johnny Major wore the orange pants too.

True, Dooley only copied the look from Majors. I will still wear mine which I had when Dooley was simply a bad lawyer in Atlanta.

veinsoforange writes:

Any Internet links of Butch's live interviews out there on YouTube or anything? ......anyone know?

TheBigDirty writes:

"ESPN impounded half the SEC football coaches on Tuesday, dressing up the seizure as a car wash."

LOL what kind of writing is that?

vol49 writes:

in response to pingkr62:

Pink house coat and the fuzzy slippers....LOL!!!

rbwtn writes:

Honestly if he wore Orange Paints I would think of the Past too. Maybe not until he establishes himself. I think checkerboard paints would be eye catching blah.

murrayvol writes:

in response to BIVOLAR_BEARE:

Well, they say "clothes make the man". I would beg to differ.

Josh_in_Chattanooga writes:

Thanks for putting me in the article Quinn! I asked Coach Jones several questions during the live chat, and that was the one he chose to answer.

I also asked him, "Brick by Brick, TN will rise to the top. I know it won't happen overnight, but what goals do you have for this fall, and how would you define a successful first season? " He didn't answer that question, but later on the SportsCenter interview he referenced it and used my exact phrase - "JONES on @SportsCenter: We have a very educated fanbase and they understand this isn't going to happen overnight."

GOJO writes:

in response to Volunteer-Varmint:

True. But Majors is ALL VOL

- - - -and he could also coach.

laraccoon writes:

Tenn. didnt win or lose because of the color of Dooley's britches. Anyone who saw the end of the Missouri game could surely vouch for that !

RememberWhen writes:

in response to Josh_in_Chattanooga:

Sorry Josh...he wasn't talking about you in that SportsCenter quote.

maxvolfan#217855 writes:

If you do go orange wear Orange Addias pants. Not the orange slacks.

Vol_lover writes:

CBJ is doing a great job and the VOLS are on the way back to the top GBO

volsgirl writes:

in response to texasvolunteer1973:

PLEASE!!! NO ORANGE PANTS!!!!

We all bout Orange & White now!!!!! come on what ever he want to wear long we win that all matter to me

woodwr#217203 writes:

in response to chattabluetick:

If The Dooley staff had kept the same defense the third year, they would have won all the close games, and gone to as good bowl.