Mark Wiedmer: SEC football fans touchy about uniform changes

Tennessee running back Montario Hardesty (2) runs past South Carolina safety DeVonte Holloman (21) during second half action at Neyland Stadium October, 31, 2009. The team, in its only year under Lane Kiffin, broke out black jerseys as a not-so-well-kept-surprise that night after warming up in orange.

Photo by Joe Howell

CHATTANOOGA — Minor. Subtle. A tweak here and there.

That's how the University of Tennessee is describing the small alterations to this year's Big Orange football uniforms.

And maybe they are. Adding a patch in the shape of the Volunteer State above the players' names on the back of the jerseys and placing a checkerboard background behind the orange numbers on road unis don't exactly sound like major overhauls.

But much like surgery and hangovers, minor is what happens to the other guy. Within a tradition-rich Southeastern Conference where at least three schools -- Alabama, Auburn and LSU -- haven't made a significant uniform change in more than 50 years, just how tightly should fans cling to their proud pasts regarding their favorite team's work clothes?

Continue reading at The Times Free Press

abnerPeabody writes:

Unies dosen't make a football team.recruiting and Coaching does.I think we have both.Just win Butchie.

antonio14313 writes:

in response to abnerPeabody:

believe it or not, the uniforms help in recruiting. uniforms SHOULDN'T matter, but it does. players want to look good.

yes, coach is doing a remarkable job!

GO VOLS!

t

Olddogsrule writes:

Beyond question Absolutely Positively Negatorily NOT!!!!

NO PINK TUTUS!

it won't make em feel confident

DC82_Vol writes:

I think you have to change somewhat with the times. After all, we are trying to recruit teenagers to play for TN, not guys in their 50s. Don't go crazy but jazz it up a little.

antonio14313 writes:

in response to Olddogsrule:

Beyond question Absolutely Positively Negatorily NOT!!!!

NO PINK TUTUS!

it won't make em feel confident

you got a shout out! that's awesome! :)

but, on topic, yeah, i think that the pink tutus would be "a bit much". UT has always been orange and white (and black). if it ain't broke...

(i really wish that they'd fill in the ENTIRE end zone with the checkerboard, even to the goal line and back of the end zone, and sideline, like in years past. i forgot what year they changed that...)

go vols.

t

Olddogsrule writes:

no orange n white n black tutus either!!!

CrankE writes:

in response to antonio14313:

you got a shout out! that's awesome! :)

go vols.

t

1994. When they replaced the old turf with natural grass.

ponkey writes:

leave it all alone....period...!!

Olddogsrule writes:

But really. As long as the players like what they're wearing and as long as it's Pantone PMS021 Volunteer orange and white and with black thrown in here and there is O.K. with me.

It's their team and their uniforms and we are all just their fans.

The players along with their coaches agreeing, both rightfully should decide what they want to wear. Solid black unis with orange and white trim for Halloween? More than OK! Well tailored Big Orange pants on coaches? OK! Throwback unis once in a while? OK!

Whatever they wear, it'll be great! And all us fans should support them through thick and thin through the whole season.

Good things are coming.

(Whoever picked that hideous orange on the majorettes new unis a coupla years ago needs a serious one on one with someone who knows how to get it right!)

govols26 writes:

in response to DC82_Vol:

Yup I agree completely. Even if it just catches one good recruit's eye then changing up the uniforms would be worth it. If the kids who are putting in every bit of their effort to play for UT want to jazz up their uniforms then by all means they should be allowed that. Not like they are changing the colors here...

brokebackvol writes:

Still the doldrums of summer...hurry up, football season!

arkyvol writes:

some things ought to be left alone. i don't like the idea of orange turf (ala boise state) either.

bUTch_please writes:

in response to antonio14313:

you got a shout out! that's awesome! :)

go vols.

t

It had to change because there was no definition between the white square and the out of bounds line.

Go Team #117!

CoverOrange writes:

So Wied reads the postings, interesting. Congrats to Olddog for making above the line.

Only thing I would really want to change is to go back to the no-striped pants in the 90s. Had a "we're serious about the game and not decorating ourselves" look to it.

As for Bama not changing since the 50's, they look it. The numbers on the helmets are unique but the rest is simple, not sure why they are rated high but fashion isn't my forte.

bUTch_please writes:

in response to Olddogsrule:

It's their team and their uniforms and we are all just their fans.

Good things are coming.

I thought I was the only one on that! Jeeze they look like Longhorn majorettes. Except more...ummm...more...ummm...plus sized.

...and while we're at it...how about the same color orange on the jersey as on the orange pants as on the white pants stripe as on the dang helmet stripe as on the T as on the shoe logo as on...

Go Team 117!

EastTnVols962 writes:

I didn't really mind the black jerseys, but something about the orange pants they wore with them through me off. I think all black would be interesting. But I still like the orange and white the best. I'd like to see a prototype of the proposed changes. Has anyone seen anything yet?

suttree writes:

Tradition is the new black.

Olddogsrule writes:

Don't know if this is true, but I read they moved the checkerboard back from the goal line is because: if the players put out the effort to get to the checkerboard, they will definitely cross the goal line.

Anybody know the truth of that?

BigOrangeJeff writes:

First off, before I saw them, I was dead set against the black jerseys. After seeing them, I thought they were pretty darn cool.

I like the fact that, when you turn on the TV, the Vols are immediately recognizable. The same can't be said for a lot of other teams. Having said that, I wouldn't mind an alternative uniform for maybe one game/year. That gives the kids something to look forward to, and allows the traditions to remain alive.

koamalina writes:

in response to Olddogsrule:

It's their team and their uniforms and we are all just their fans.

Good things are coming.

I agree that the orange needs to be the correct shade. For some reason, the orange on the jerseys and helmet stripes and T's has become lighter that it was in the 90s.

Olddogsrule writes:

in response to bUTch_please:

Go Team 117!

u coulda left off the (...plus sized) -an we'da ken whachu meant

It takes different dyes for different materials. And if the PMS021 orange dye is for cotton, it won't look right on leather, etc, and it takes a lot of experimenting. Just like getting carpet, it has to pretty much be from the same lot or someones gonna be upset when her living floor don't match the dining room.

But, yeah, you'd think the manufacturer's could try a little harder to get the pants and jerseys at least to match.

WetumpkaThumpa writes:

in response to antonio14313:

yes, coach is doing a remarkable job!

GO VOLS!

t

Yes, Bama is winning National Championships thanks to their new uniforms. Oh wait, nevermind....

MetroplexMojo writes:

in response to Olddogsrule:

Beyond question Absolutely Positively Negatorily NOT!!!!

NO PINK TUTUS!

it won't make em feel confident

Congrats to the shout-out or this may be a better way to say it....

Ewe r awsum. Ewe betr nt git a big head.

SevenT writes:

Tennessee has a checkered past for cheating and firing Fulmer. So I would vote for having orange/white checkered uniforms to match the corrupt UT Football program.

Just Saying

frblalack writes:

UT is Orange and White!!! Leave the uniforms alone! No black, no checkerboard, no state symbol...our uniforms are ORANGE & WHITE. PERIOD.

RESPECT THE TRADITION!!!

DonK37920 writes:

in response to SevenT:

Just Saying

During the past 30 years, Alabama has been on probation more years than not. They have vacated wins because of the cheating multiple times. Bear Bryant was the dirtiest coach in NCAA history and got caught cheating many many times. Just Saying....

Razzle writes:

I like the state symbol idea. In orange and white of course.

antonio14313 writes:

in response to CoverOrange:

in my opinion, i think that alabama is ranked that high because their uniform is plain and classic. i'd imagine that penn st is rated high too, for the same reasoning.

sometimes "simple" does the job...

t

JSmith525 writes:

in response to SevenT:

Just Saying

Hey buddy how you doing today? Just thought that I would give you a heads up. Last time I released "karma" your way, your BB team got Vol slapped by 30 pts. I only released it on your team. I have been trying to keep it in check, but you will not let that happen with all your BS post. So I am releasing it now, Not on your team but on "YOU". I wanted to warn you ahead of time, because once released I have not control over what it does. Good luck with that! Just Saying!

Olddogsrule writes:

in response to frblalack:

RESPECT THE TRADITION!!!

What tradition is that?

(click in the middle of the Power T & the poster enlarges to fill the screen)

Hey & hi there frblalack,I'm just asking a real question.

There are 14 different unis in the poster. Of course some aren't appropriate for modern football. But of those that are, which one of these several unis in the above link is your favorite and so is what you consider the 'traditional' one you prefer?

(I know they aren't perfect reproductions, but they are very, very close.)

As for myself, I like 'em all.

bUTch_please writes:

in response to Olddogsrule:

What tradition is that?

(click in the middle of the Power T & the poster enlarges to fill the screen)

Hey & hi there frblalack,I'm just asking a real question.

(I know they aren't perfect reproductions, but they are very, very close.)

As for myself, I like 'em all.

Great poster. Thanks for the memory jog as well.

One long-time favorite is the "Holloway" jersey with the orange shoulders. Best memory of that one is half of it on Condredge and the other half flapping in the breeze as he stutter-stopped his way down the field.

VFL_Troll_Patrol writes:

I agree because I think its good to keep up with the times and to impress the young people. I personally liked the Black Out uniforms but I would only like to see them used on Halloween! That would be cool! I think small changes to the uniforms are ok as long as its not to big of a change. GBO

*Im always watching*

UT Fan Videos at:

EastTnVols962 writes:

in response to Olddogsrule:

What tradition is that?

(click in the middle of the Power T & the poster enlarges to fill the screen)

Hey & hi there frblalack,I'm just asking a real question.

(I know they aren't perfect reproductions, but they are very, very close.)

As for myself, I like 'em all.

Awesome link. I saw where someone up the thread metioned maybe having one special jersey a year. I don't mind that idea, and would even go as far as to say they should try a throwback sometime. The 1971 throwback would look sweet.

SCVFL writes:

in response to Olddogsrule:

Anybody know the truth of that?

Ditto, Olddog...I have always heard the same thing. It was that extra effort, extra yard that got you to the CHECKERBOARD.
I think even Coach Gillespie talked about never reaching the CHECKERBOARD when he was at Florida during one of his Interviews after becoming our RB coach.
GO BIG RNG

mocsandvolsfan writes:

in response to Olddogsrule:

no orange n white n black tutus either!!!

How 'bout no tutus at all. I don't mind a uniform change otherwise.

mocsandvolsfan writes:

in response to frblalack:

RESPECT THE TRADITION!!!

I prefer orange and white tradition but I also think the players should have some input. A bit. No pink anything.imho

pingkr62 writes:

I don't mind change, but anything can be over done. Does anyone remember the "new" uniforms Maryland wore a couple of years ago? Their helmets looked like someone threw up on them. Thats what I mean by over done. Georgia's power ranger uniforms SUCKED too! G.B.O.!!!

BIVOLAR_BEARE writes:

UT currently has the #1 class in CFB and it's not due to uniforms.

AllforTenn writes:

Our university football program has a tradition and a part of the tradition is the style of the uniforms. Shut up Wiedmer and leave the uniforms alone. If the players want to play for UT they will, just like Alabama's, Penn State's, LSU's and other teams with tradition. If a player is attracted to weird uniforms let him go to some school which had no tradition to speak of.
The alumni should have more say than some potential recruit. And if some gaudy uniform is what that potential recruit wants then I don't want him. He would probably not last two years anyway.

volfanz writes:

in response to antonio14313:

yes, coach is doing a remarkable job!

GO VOLS!

t

Very true!...because the conference has become so competitive as a whole, every little bit helps when trying to influence good recruits to come on board and the uni's do help....Let's face it...Oregon is not good because they have awesome football tradition.

GerryOP writes:

in response to BIVOLAR_BEARE:

UT currently has the #1 class in CFB and it's not due to uniforms.

Agreed Bipolar. They are coming here to play Tennessee football. O&W is fine with me.

GerryOP writes:

in response to volfanz:

Oh, stop it. If a kid is gonna choose between UF, Bama, or UT based on the uniform ... well ... I'm sure Butch, Little Willy, and Nick will play rock/paper/scissors to see who gets stuck with the kid.

CoverOrange writes:

in response to Olddogsrule:

Anybody know the truth of that?

I thought it was because the refs were afraid they would be confused as to where the goal and boundary lines were, ya know, since they mostly blind.

BigbearVol writes:

in response to Olddogsrule:

u coulda left off the (...plus sized) -an we'da ken whachu meant

We all know how tricky it can be to get the carpet to match the drapes. LMAO!!

mikethehistorystudent writes:

Folks, as long as they don't go crazy like Oregon then I don't care. If it brings in two more recruits and gives them even 1% more motivation to work hard and win, I say go for it!

mocsandvolsfan writes:

in response to mikethehistorystudent:

I'd hate to watch us play on an orange field. Sorta like orange pants I guess. I didn't mind the pants though. But you can have to much of a good thing. Whatever the uniforms' color I'd like to keep an all green field...'cept the numbers and lines of course.

mocsandvolsfan writes:

in response to GerryOP:

Unfortunately we've already been taking (in the past) just the leftovers. That is on defense. If our defense shows up next couple of years who cares what colors are mixed in with the orange? Except blue. No Auburn or Florida blue.

mocsandvolsfan writes:

in response to GET_OVER_IT_YOU_LOST:

C'mon he didn't admit to cheating in Basketball. Maybe in other areas of his life. Most of us haven't complained about Cal except when the whoopin's gone against us. Right now I say keep Cal and we'll take UT's squad by somewhere around 30 points.