Video game offers possible preview of new Tennessee football uniforms

Tennessee's home football uniforms are revealed in game NCAA Football 2014 on Thursday, July 25, 2013. Supposedly based on the real ones, Tennessee players will have orange and white checkerboard 'compression' shirts to wear under their pads. (SAUL YOUNG/NEWS SENTINEL)

Photo by Saul Young

Tennessee's home football uniforms are revealed in game NCAA Football 2014 on Thursday, July 25, 2013. Supposedly based on the real ones, Tennessee players will have orange and white checkerboard "compression" shirts to wear under their pads. (SAUL YOUNG/NEWS SENTINEL)

Dan Fleser weighs in on UT's new football jerseys

A video game might be making a summer fashion statement regarding Tennessee football.

A possible preview of UT’s uniforms comes courtesy of EA Sports’ “NCAA Football 14.” This season’s version, which was released on Tuesday, showcases several alterations to Tennessee’s football attire.

The biggest changes involve UT’s away jerseys. They have “Tennessee” in small type running across the front with the iconic checkerboard end zone pattern adorning the orange numbers.

Weigh in: Do you like UT's new football jerseys?

See the results »

View previous polls »

On the home uniforms, the 'Power T' is moved down from the collar to right above the numbers.

Both uniforms depicted in the video game have a checkboard design on the sleeves along with a state of Tennessee patch above the players’ names.

Tennessee coach Butch Jones confirmed the Tennessee patch to the News Sentinel on Monday, along with the checkerboard background to the orange numbers on the road uniforms.

UT did not release any prototypes.

Jones said the changes would be subtle. The state patch reinforces his statewide message.

New Tennessee road football uniforms are revealed in the video game “NCAA Football 14”. Supposedly based on what the real uniforms will be, the road jersey will have the name 'Tennessee' above the numerals.

Photo by Saul Young

New Tennessee road football uniforms are revealed in the video game “NCAA Football 14”. Supposedly based on what the real uniforms will be, the road jersey will have the name "Tennessee" above the numerals.

In an interview this week with govols247.com’s Wes Rucker, Tennessee director of athletics Dave Hart paid his respects to Tennessee’s tradition, describing the university as “one of the few institutions, one of the few athletic departments in the country that has history and tradition that is nearly unparalleled by anyone else. There are only a handful of schools in that conversation.”

Still, Hart alluded to the likelihood of uniform changes, mentioning both Jones and the players.

“Part of what makes Butch Jones such a good fit at the University of Tennessee and I believe one of the rising stars in the coaching profession is that he does — as you’ve articulated to me in the past — he understands young people,” Hart said. “He understands them very well. He understands how to communicate with them. He understands their wishes and desires as it relates to it being 2013 and one of those — whether we like it or not — is the ability, within reason, to tweak something that excites them.”

Hart didn’t offer any specifics, other than to say: “Yes, we’re looking at things — again, nothing that would upset the apple cart of our tradition — but yes, we’re looking at some tweaks at some appropriate times during the season.”

While Tennessee hasn’t varied much from its traditional colors, it has some history of donning different uniforms.

In 2009, the Vols wore black jerseys with orange pants for a Halloween game against South Carolina at Neyland Stadium. The combination was named the third-worst uniform combination ever by the Uni Watch blog.

Tennessee wore all orange for the SEC championship game in 2007. UT also has tried piping of various colors and sizes on the pants during the last 10 years.

Hart referred to the student-athletes in saying, “We do listen. We do listen to their needs and their desires and one of those happens to be input and candid, meaningful coversation relative to some things that might excite them as it relates to tweaks.”

Get Copyright Permissions © 2013, Knoxville News Sentinel Co.

creekroad writes:

The numbers are too small if the above picture is accurate.

ReeseHallRelic writes:

The video game versions aren't what CBJ described yesterday.... so it appears that KNS may be trolling through a slow news day.

ivyvol writes:

Don't like them at all. Nothing strong or bold looking about them. Look soft and wimpy.

volspaws writes:

I personally don't won't Bama Dave Hart tinkering with the Tennessee uniform...hard for me to trust the fashion sense of a guy addicted to Just For Men hair coloring products

Witch_Doctors writes:

Witch Doctor say if the kids like them..go for it. Witch Doctors fashion sense slipping little. Witch Doctor wore really old tie the other day and left it in car and pretended spilled coffee on it. Witch Doctor like to tell one good lie a week. lol
Bones never lie.

OrangePride writes:

If this is anything like what they really look like, I am NOT a fan. Don't like the checkerboard OR the number arrangement. Lets hope they are not correct or this is rethought before the first game.

WadeVol writes:

I am sorry but they look stupid. I loved our uniforms in the 80s. The best is the white uniforms with orange lettering and white helmets with that big ole power T.

licknpromise777#651578 writes:

in response to Witch_Doctors:

Bones never lie.

Your right; The players probably love any kind more modern change. They are the ones wearing it and to be honest it isn't what you would call a dramatic Oregon style change. Nothing wrong with our boys feeling good about themselves on national TV. IMO they could have come up with something a little bolder or better but most of our set in their way traditionist Vol fans would have a heart attack if our young 21st century thinking players didn't look like George Cafego

WaltGoVoIs writes:

TV announcers have often complained about being able to read the numbers on UT jerseys. They need to be bigger not smaller.

Walt

UT '81

volhome writes:

The ones in the screenshots look like practice jerseys. If they want change, then go the throwback look, not chasing other schools. We had best be careful, or it could end up like Oregon (nearly any combo), Georgia's spaceman uni, or heaven forbid, Maryland.

VOLinATL writes:

Bama never changes their uni's...don't hear their players complaining or their recruiting suffering!

fearthehound writes:

1. I would have no problem with a little black or charcoal gray as an accent color. Should have been added a long time ago and it would be tradition now. Something needs to break up that straight orange-white.
2. I still think orange road helmets with the white Power T would look great. White from top to bottom looks good sometimes, but a little variation would be nice.

powert#205805 writes:

in response to VOLinATL:

Ding. Ding. Ding. We have a winner. When you have a classic look, you don't change it because you think some high school kid will like it. That's a slippery slope when you start catering to their whims.

By the way, I love the Just for Men comment someone made. His hair color looks plain freaky. He should have left well enough alone there as well. Gray looks a heck of a lot better than that.

rusty_shackleford writes:

Not gonna depend on a video game. Just win, baby!

Orange_Power_T writes:

in response to Witch_Doctors:

Bones never lie.

Agree. I can't believe the outcry from 'fans' with such little change. Let it go. Still wearing your polyester suit with the wide lapels from the 80's to church? Would you be happier with the '98 uni's and a 4-8 season or new uni's and an 8-4? As long as they're orange and white, have a power "T" and the players are winning games, I could care less.

DC82_Vol writes:

Regardless to what is tweaked, people are going to gripe. That is the society we live in today. Everyone thinks their opinion matters.

Rugby2 writes:

in response to VOLinATL:

We have the No.1 recruiting class in the country and not one of the recruits has mentioned our uniforms. The program Butch is selling is infinitely bigger than the uniforms. Stay with the traditional Orange and White, the recruits are coming anyway.

Give Blood, Play Rugby

VOLS_SEC_RULES writes:

As long as the orange T remains on the helmets, I don't care what changes are made to jerseys or pants. Just win!

antonio14313 writes:

is it me, or does #27 in the pic look just like jason campbell (QB from auburn)???

t

BleednUrnge81 writes:

The problem here is that you won't be able to please every fan or every player at the same time. I personally am all for uniform change. I believe need to get with the times and realize that change is not always a bad thing. I also think we need an all black uni, which will never happen, but the players would love it. pull it out for the SC game. Or at the very least some black accents. As Bob Dylan famously sung, "The times, they are a changin'." GO VOLS andhere's to a season that relights the fire under the arss of this proud university, football team, and fanbase

jfuston writes:

My question is, how does a video game designer get information about how Tennessee's uniforms will look before the actual school and fans get to see them? We should have seen some kind of showcase of these uniforms way before a video game got ahold of the plans. Of course, this comment is based on the above picture being even close to accurate.

etu_vol_fan writes:

in response to VOLinATL:

Those 2 out of 3 NC shuts up a lot of people.

Chappy writes:

in response to volspaws:

Hilarious comment!

UTKin1992 writes:

Over the last 120 years our uniforms have evolved the same as everyone elses, whether you're talking football, baseball or any other sport.

UT is by no means Oregon - on the cutting edge of uniform design - that's not our style, although we should improve upon our basic design every so often. Occasional small alterations help UT remain consistent with the times and avoid becoming a dinosaur. Those smaller numbers, subtle graphics, and new jersey materials are uniform evolution.

Tradition is important but so is appearance.

rbwtn writes:

We have a tendency to get all caught-up in tradition I've learned to let go of the past and strive for a better Future. The only tradition I care about is the "Winning Tradition". Any change in the old traditional uniforms of TN. is welcomed by me and I'm sure TV as well. We are starting new again so let's look New it's exciting instead of the same old same old. I like the New changes hopefully it's only the beginning of a "New-Look" UT.

FWBVol writes:

in response to WaltGoVoIs:

Walt

UT '81

I've heard the same complaints Walt. But my understanding is the problem hasn't been the size of the numbers, but rather the light shade of orange of the numbers on the white away uniforms.

The press box level at Neyland Stadium and other venues is often so far away from the field that it wouldn't matter how big the numbers are they're still going to be difficult to see.

knoxemtman writes:

For home games: All black jerseys/pants with orange numbers/names. Black helmet with orange power T. Orange cleats

For away games: All orange jerseys/pants with white numbers/names. Orange helmet with white power T. Orange cleats

Now I will sit back and enjoy the "expert" commentary from East TN's finest...

BIVOLAR_BEARE writes:

Uhhh, not much different than last seasons uniform, and most likely not what CBJ was taking about. Nice reach though.

wononta writes:

This is phooey. I have seen the checkerboard on the inner sleeve before. Lots of guys had it last Yr. It's not the jersey, it's a underarmor type shirt under the jersey.
And the uni in the picture looks like nothing more that a tweak straight out of "design your own uniform" option menu fromEA Sports"NCAA Football 2012"

Puleeze KNS, is the best you can do?

TnSig writes:

Sorry old guys. Sometimes change is good and this one was long overdue. If these indeed are the new uniforms, I think they look great. Believe it or not, something as superficial as an updated uniform may get a few of these dumb recruits to lean our way

Olddogsrule writes:

Just let the team pick it an support the team. through the years it'll always be Orange an White, an a little Black sometimes.

VOL_IN_BAMA writes:

This is from a video game. Wait until game day and then judge.

SevenT writes:

I LOVE Video Games!! Tennessee actually wins a game every once in a while on X-Box

Rugby2 writes:

in response to TnSig:

Old guy here. We have the No. 1 recruiting class without new uniforms. Something bigger than uniforms is being sold here. That is the way is should be .... substance over style. A bit different in today's culture. Great job Butch! Go Vols!

Give Blood, Play Rugby

EastTnVols962 writes:

in response to knoxemtman:

Now I will sit back and enjoy the "expert" commentary from East TN's finest...

I feel ya. I liked the black unis, but didn't dig the orange pants combo. I think all black would be sick looking. As far as away goes, I guess it would depend on whether or not we would have to wear white. I like the orange helmet. Black helmets would be awesome as well.

tennrich1 writes:

I'll let you ladies worry about "what are you wearing tonite" and just watch UT play football...reminds me of a church split I once heard of over CARPET COLOR....absolutely ridiculous...

EastTnVols962 writes:

These would never happen because they're Nike concepts, but I think they look pretty sweet none the less.

EastTnVols962 writes:

in response to EastTnVols962:

Take note: I'm referring to the helmets here. Those unis are horrendous. Only the Lady Vols wear light blue.

UTKin1992 writes:

in response to EastTnVols962:

With all due respect, that is THE most heinous uniform I've ever seen. Bar none.

Also, these aren't "Nike Concepts", it's homemade by some knucklehead with graphic design software. Besides, something tells me that Nike designers wouldn't release helmets with "VOLS" spelled backwards.

brokendownoldvol writes:

I doubt they will allow numbers that small.

brokendownoldvol writes:

in response to EastTnVols962:

I don't understand young people"s obsession with black. Vanderbilt is black and they have had 2 winning seasons in over 50 yrs.

EastTnVols962 writes:

in response to UTKin1992:

Perhaps if you'd taken the time to scroll down just a tad you would've seen my comment on the actual unis. And I too noticed that Vols was backwards. I liked the third one down. And I'm not at all saying we should have these, I simply thought they were neat. But my apologies to all Vol fans out there for posting these. My bad.

EastTnVols962 writes:

in response to brokendownoldvol:

Dang I didn't consider that. I forgot that all winning seasons are completely related to the color of the uniforms. And as many many fans have pointed out on here, black was our color back in the day. So I don't know why it's just us "young people." I don't think by any means we should wear black jerseys often, but every now and then ( no more than once a year, if that) they're fun. It adds a little something different.

AllforTenn writes:

in response to fearthehound:

Wrong!

AllforTenn writes:

in response to knoxemtman:

Now I will sit back and enjoy the "expert" commentary from East TN's finest...

Ridiculous!!

Olddogsrule writes:

in response to tennrich1:

lol ...u r singin' to the choir .. ;-)

BolivrBob writes:

LMAO at all the complaints. The changes are very minimal and subtle. I like them. Love Tennessee printed out on the white jerseys. NO orange pants Butch. All white on away unis. I remember the first time I saw the red pants of Nebraska, many years ago, I thought they looked like softball uniforms.

tanasi2 writes:

The uniforms look bad! If they can't IMPROVE them, leave them alone!!! I'd like to see Black Jerseys, black helmets, black pants trimmed in Orange once in a while. The addidas orange color jersey is NOT the same orange on the pants or the power T.

EMBuckles writes:

Coach Doug Dickey once told me that the main reason that they had some black lining on the numbers was so that the announcers and press people could see them from up in the press boxes. I have always loved the white helmets, orange stripe down the middle with the orange T on the sides (I think that 'Bama's helmets with numbers on them look really bad, Michigan's helmets look like somebody went nuts with the yellow tape gun - tacky)). Also love the orange jersey with numbers on shoulders and front and back and white pants with the orange stripes down the side. Outline of Tennessee would be fine. Those sorts of uniforms have worked for Tennessee for many years now. There is an old saying, "if it ain't broken, don't try to fix it!" And like Witch Doctor sez, "bones never lie"! ;>