Tennessee Tech, not Tennessee, the 'best fit' for Charlie High

CAK's Charlie High (12) scores a touchdown in the court quarter taking the score to 47-14 as Milan's Chad Warden (11) defends during the Div. I Class 3A championship at the TSSAA 2012 BlueCross Bowl at Tennessee Tech University in Cookeville, Tenn., Friday, Nov. 30, 2012. CAK won 48-14 over Milan. (ADAM BRIMER/NEWS SENTINEL)

Photo by Adam Brimer, Knoxville News Sentinel

The backup plan was always there for Charlie High if he needed it.

The former Christian Academy of Knoxville quarterback put it into action Friday afternoon. He alerted the football coaches at the University of Tennessee that he would be leaving the program, where he was a freshman and a preferred walk-on, to enroll and play at Tennessee Tech.

The 6-foot, 190-pound High will be eligible to play right away, since Tennessee Tech is a Football Championship Subdivision team. Golden Eagles coach Watson Brown told High, when he chose in early February to walk on at Tennessee, that he’d always have a spot at Tennessee Tech should High ever change his mind.

“It was a great thing for Coach Brown to do that,” said High, a two-time Mr. Football winner, two-time Class 3A state champion and two-time PrepXtra Offensive Player of the Year.

“I’m really thankful he did.”

Playing at Tennessee was High’s dream, but the thought of possibly transferring was one he wrestled with the last week or so, he said.

“It was nothing against Tennessee,” he said. “I thought Tennessee Tech would be the perfect place for me to play and have a chance to play earlier. I guess the reason why I went to Tennessee first was: it’s always been my dream to play at Tennessee and be the starter. I had to get that out of my system and try it and see. I have now.

“I’ve just been thinking about it, and Tennessee Tech would be the best fit for the next four years for me.”

UT has four quarterbacks on scholarship: junior Justin Worley, sophomore Nathan Peterman, and freshmen Riley Ferguson and Joshua Dobbs.

High called his talk with the Tennessee coaches “real positive” and said “no hard feelings” were involved.

“They said they would love to have me, they don’t want me to go. ‘But if this truly was what I wanted, then good luck,’” said High. “I said I was going to transfer and that I had already made my decision.”

Brown was excited to get the news, said High. The plan now is to get the playbook. The Golden Eagles report to camp next Friday and begin drills the next day. Tennessee Tech opens at home against Cumberland University and plays Sept. 7 at Wisconsin.

Junior quarterback Darian Stone is the No. 1 on the depth chart for Tennessee Tech. The Clinton graduate started the last four games of the 2012 season when Tre Lamb was sidelined with an injury. Lamb is a graduate assistant this season.

Jared Davis, a sophomore from Tullahoma, and Matt Hamby, a junior from Brentwood Academy, are also on the roster.

“They throw it a lot,” High said about Tennessee Tech. “Their past two quarterbacks have broken Tennessee Tech passing records, or maybe (Ohio Valley Conference), I’m not for sure. But they’ve broken passing records.

“That’s what CAK likes to do.”

Get Copyright Permissions © 2013, Knoxville News Sentinel Co.

cobragolfer writes:

Great move young man. TTU is a place for education and sports. Good luck.

oldster writes:

Sorry to see him go, but he will get a better shot there. He would get a good education anywhere because a good student will get a good education even at a bad school and TTU is NOT a bad school by any stretch.

RockyTop1_old writes:

Hate not to see him in Orange but, it is probably best for him. I hope he is not another local miss like we have had in the last few years. I wish him the best and I feel he is a VFL in his HEART!! GO BIG ORANGE!!!

NowHearThis writes:

SummittsCourt writes:

He was never going to see the field at UT so a good move on his part.

BIVOLAR_BEARE writes:

Good luck, Charlie..You're a great young man with a bright future.

DRORANGELOVE writes:

in response to BIVOLAR_BEARE:

Good luck, Charlie..You're a great young man with a bright future.

Again, as in some of your other posts, I concur and agree with your comments. Good luck to this young man, I wish him the best.

BigBadVol writes:

The reality is the kid would have never seen the field.

keepitreal4vols writes:

in response to BigBadVol:

The reality is the kid would have never seen the field.

But he had a dream and he chased it. No more "what ifs". Never seen or met the kid but I have much respect for him not listening to the nay sayers.
Isn't Nash Nance (DaRick's high school QB) there too?

orangecountyvols writes:

in response to KnoxVegas88:

Vegas,

Exactly. Perhaps he can take "Now hear this" with him. Not that the troll is in the same class as this young man...........just an opportunity to rid us of one more troll.

Good luck on that of course.........

PHAT_VOL writes:

in response to keepitreal4vols:

Isn't Nash Nance (DaRick's high school QB) there too?

Here is Nash Nance. Harvard offered him as a high school senior.

OwensboroVol writes:

First of all congratulations to the young man for making a decision based on his needs. I know that it is hard to give up on ones dreams and to chase others but sometimes it is required. I know all Tennessee Fans wish him only the best in his new endeavors. Now I want to tell him that if things don't work out at Tennessee Tech that a University of Tennessee Education is second to none. There was never a day which went by in my life that my degree did not benefit me in many ways.

bigdisbig writes:

It sounds like this young man is a class act. Good luck to you and I hope you light it up at TTU. I, for one, will keep up with your progress.

Snapshot writes:

Good luck young man. I'm surprised a Div.1 school somewhere didn't give him a scholly. The kid can really throw the football, and some schools are going to regret not signing him, IMHO. There are NFL QBs right now proving you can play the game at 6ft tall.

ColdBlackWind writes:

Sad to see any negative comments about this issue. Anyone who trashes the school or the player on this one is a douche. The marriage had all the makings of a Hollywood script with High walking on and becoming the starter. I was in high, no pun intended, hopes that would happen. We did the right thing and gave him the chance. He did the right thing by realizing how good the competition really was and making the move. He appears to be of high moral character but if he had stayed and not gotten a chance to play a later parting of ways could have been messier. Good luck young man. You followed your dream now go win the job at TTU.

SouthPaVol writes:

Good luck, Charlie. Any mobile QB that completes over 70% passing is gonna score some points.

Would have been fun watching you as a Vol, but you will do well at Tech. Your future is bright; go get it.

Chappy writes:

in response to GET_OVER_IT_YOU_LOST:

The consistent themes of your posts show that you are a 1st class a-hole.

GreerVol22 writes:

in response to GET_OVER_IT_YOU_LOST:

The kid got to UT, got evaluated by some objective eyes and was handed a clip board. Look in the mirror pal before you throw around the fool card.
I wish him nothing but the best.

maciste54 writes:

Good luck young man !

goldengate writes:

Good luck, Charlie ... work hard, have a great time, and stay healthy.

letthebigdoghunt writes:

in response to ColdBlackWind:

Absolutely. He's a VOL at heart and I for one will be pulling for him. GBO VFL

lavette12389 writes:

in response to ColdBlackWind:

Sad part is KNS went fishing for these comments when they decided to go with this title. Just say "Charlie High Pursing starting possibilities in nearby Cookeville" or something positive rather than a knock on both him and our appeal...wake up guys we are No. 1 in recruiting...its not like we're so bad walk-ons are leaving...

TommyJack writes:

Probably the best move for the lad. Good luck.

Southland writes:

anyone not wishing this young man the best really should keep their posts to themselves. Hey kid, do great and get a great education.

longtimefan writes:

sad to hear this but he wants to play soon so sounds like a smart move to me. He will do very well at Tech. I know I will be keeping up with his progress. He should be fun to watch. I am a Vol fan but I will be pulling for Tech too. At least for 4 years

I was pretty much pulling for Charlie. I saw him play a couple of times. The "metrics" of big-time football may be against him, but he reads defenses well, is accurate, decisive, and a good leader with good character. The Techsters are lucky to have him. We may not have heard the last from young Mr. High.

orangecountyvols writes:

Chappy and other true Vols,

What we have here ( once again ) is another appearance of the same troll who loves getting poofed on GVX.

You see, having just joined yet again, on July 26, this idiot thrives on getting the hook, then sits around for a day or two, dreaming up another name. His "Butchy boy" off topic comments is a red flag to the Staff to can him.

abnerPeabody writes:

in response to GET_OVER_IT_YOU_LOST:

You are one dumb stupid arss hold.

The_Power_T writes:

I've seen a little bit of his play and have heard nothing but great about him. I wish him all the luck in the world in football and in life. I commend him for giving his dream a shot. He may not have the God given size to play QB in the SEC, but it sounds like he has the heart and determination to succeed in whatever he does. Good luck and Go Vols!

Runningangry writes:

Good luck Charlie. I'll still be rooting for you.

volsathleticsupporter writes:

I saw him at the state championship game last year and was so impressed with him there. If he isn't good enough to play for the Vols then what does it take? I haven't been impressed with the last several quarterbacks for UT at all. This kid ripped apart a very good Milan defense. I realize he wasn't playing Alabama but how do you determine good enough?