Five key questions as Tennessee Vols crank up

University of Tennessee defenders Byron Moore, left, and Jacques Smith, chase down quarterback Justin Worley during a scrimmage at Neyland Stadium on Saturday, April 13, 2013 in Knoxville. (AMY SMOTHERMAN BURGESS/NEWS SENTINEL)

Photo by Amy Smotherman Burgess

KNOXVILLE — Butch Jones can go ahead and grab the wireless microphone from storage.

Tennessee's first-year football coach soon will be declaring directives via his preferred teaching tool.

The Volunteers report for training camp Thursday and open preseason preparations with their first practice Friday afternoon.

There are many orders of business, from finding a starter at quarterback and identifying defensive difference-makers to finding help at receiver and determining which newcomers can provide immediate help, and there's little time to waste.

Jones hopes his first Tennessee team can quickly shake the rust from more than three months without one of his practices and build off a summer program geared toward improving players physically and developing team leadership.

Continue reading at the Chattanooga Times Free Press.

Volways writes:

Our season tickets arrived yesterday. So now I'm getting REALLY excited. Does anyone know who our best prospects are at the d-back positions outside of Coleman?

rockytopwestone writes:

in response to Volways:

I can`t remember his name but there`s a JC transfer on the team who looks very good !

rockytopwestone writes:

in response to rockytopwestone:

I think his name is Riyahd Jones ?

agentorange writes:

Somebody please tell me that I don't have to watch Justin Coleman get burned all season long again. Ugh.

Lizardgrad89 writes:

in response to agentorange:

You don't have to. You can always close your eyes.

ctwins writes:

Question for October. will Bama cover the 31 pt
margin of victory for the 4th yr in a row. Little Butchy is not a personal friend of CNS like young DD, Vince and Barbara.

I have not seen the rocky flop nation this giddy about a season since 2012.... oh well the mighty gators will once again bring all those in orange back to reality.

in response to agentorange:

Maybe this year the Vols can get enough of a pass rush that DBs won't have to cover their men up and down the whole field for as long as it takes the QB to choose which one he thinks is most open. I think the DBs will look a lot better this year, just for this reason.

south_alabama_vol writes:

in response to ctwins:

Question for October. will Bama cover the 31 pt

mighty gators?? I think Louiville would disagree with that!!

gameofvols writes:

in response to south_alabama_vol:

mighty gators?? I think Louiville would disagree with that!!

I bet the Police Dog will too.

Orange_Power_T writes:

in response to ctwins:

Question for October. will Bama cover the 31 pt

I've been hearing lately that a Gator's bark is worse than his bite.

EastTnVols962 writes:

in response to ctwins:

Question for October. will Bama cover the 31 pt

Counter question for October: Will you and your sister be having a boy or a girl?

rockytopwestone writes:

in response to agentorange:

It was funny last year how he was the replacement for Marsalis Teague and yet he did no better ! Praise the Lord Duffus Dooley is gone !

BIVOLAR_BEARE writes:

in response to rockytopwestone:

Teague should pursue a career as the lead chase vehicle driver.

rockytopwestone writes:

in response to BIVOLAR_BEARE:

Teague should pursue a career as the lead chase vehicle driver.

Very Funny, but he has graduated and will do better with his life than I have with mine !

BIVOLAR_BEARE writes:

in response to rockytopwestone:

Good point, I watched MT when he was Mr. Everything at Henry County HS. The man could play any skill position on the field, but he just wasn't cut out to play defense in the SEC. Nice guy though.

rockytopwestone writes:

in response to BIVOLAR_BEARE:

Thankyou Beare for the nice comments. I live in Henry County and well remember MT having offers from FLA and AlA among many others. All of Henry County was so proud when he went to Tennessee. Last year our idiot choice made him the scapegoat when the defence looked so bad. If you remember he did well on offence as a freshman !

ReeseHallRelic writes:

in response to SAMA_BUCKS:

Wow.

Were you impressed with your excessive verbiage about... nothing?

BIVOLAR_BEARE writes:

in response to rockytopwestone:

Yep, he was doing fine as possession receiver, I thought he should have played QB in the wildcat option also. Just another example of athletes misused under Dooley.

BIVOLAR_BEARE writes:

in response to ReeseHallRelic:

Wow.

Were you impressed with your excessive verbiage about... nothing?

I have to say he is very impressed with himself. No humility not a shred of it. All I can say is careful what we covet, it may be taken away like a thief in the night. Take care, Relic.

in response to rockytopwestone:

It's too bad the Vols were so deep at receiver during Teague's time. He couldn't beat out Patterson, Hunter, Rogers, et.al., so they switched him to defense where he was clearly over-matched.

BTW, my Dad was born in Henry County. I loved visiting that area when I was growing up. Nice folks and nice country through there.

in response to SAMA_BUCKS:

Well, of course the D-line and the backfield both have to do their jobs for the defense to work. The post I was replying to talked about how bad our DBs were last year. No doubt they were bad a good part of the time, but they really didn't get much help from the pass rush. I hope this year all parts of the defense will be able to do what they have to do. I can't stand to see another UT defense as apparently helpless as last year's.