Lady Vols to play Virginia in Bahamas

Tennessee guard Ariel Massengale (5) drives past Virginia center Simone Egwu (4) during the first half of an NCAA college basketball game Sunday, Nov. 20, 2011, in Charlottesville, Va. (AP Photo/Andrew Shurtleff)

Tennessee will be facing a familiar foe when it opens women’s basketball play at the Junkanoo Jam on Thanksgiving Day in the Bahamas.

The Lady Vols will play Virginia — a team they’ve played 16 times previously — at 2 p.m. at St. George’s High gymnasium in Freeport.

Kansas State and SMU will play in second game of the four-team Lucaya Division bracket.

The winners will play at 7 p.m. on Nov. 29. The third-place game will precede the championship game at 4:45

There is no word yet whether the games will be televised.

Tennessee will make its first trip outside the country since playing three games at the U.S. Virgin Islands Paradise Jam on Nov. 25-27, 2010.

UT leads the all-time series versus Virginia, 13-3, but the Cavaliers have won two of four. In the last meeting, an unranked Virginia team scored a 69-64 upset of then-No. 3 Tennessee in overtime on Nov. 20, 2011, in Charlottesville, Va.

The teams have considerable history at neutral sites, too. The Lady Vols have a 5-1 record in those games. The last was on March 25, 2000. Tennessee beat the Cavaliers 77-56 in an NCAA Mideast Regional semifinal game in Memphis.

The Lady Vols are 4-0 against Kansas State and have never faced SMU. The last meeting between the Wildcats and Tennessee was a 68-56 Lady Vols victory on Dec. 6, 1985, in the Northern Illinois Fastbreak Fest in DeKalb, Ill.

Four other teams — Penn State, Oregon State, Illinois State and Florida — will be competing in the Freeport Division bracket of the Jam.

Get Copyright Permissions © 2013, Knoxville News Sentinel Co.

snowpeapod#263184 writes:

Bring em on !!!! Just like in the Summitt years we'll take whatever comes our way and go after them with great tenacity.

orangecountyvols writes:

Vols,

Nice to have a little payback with these gals.
I was in Charlottesville last year..........and things were going okay until Taber went to the locker room.........and that injury plagued her for a long time. Virginia was playing over their heads and pulled it out. There were quite a few Lady Vol fans at that game.

Oh well, I'll settle for the other time I saw those 2 in C'ville........the year 1997, Tennessee lost 10.........and went on to win the NC. It was great hearing Rocky Top in that arena.

Tennessee is going to be pretty darned good this year........( Graves, Izzy, Mercedes, Reynolds, Carter, Burdick, Ariel, Simmons etc. )

martinvol34 writes:

AND THE BEST PLAYER ON THE TEAM WILL BE JONES. DON'T SLEEP ON HER FOR A MINUTE!

ps11824 writes:

Clue me in, martinvol, who's Jones? I haven't kept up as much as usual for reasons beyond my control on the recruiting or incoming players. Is that Jasmine Jones of whom you speak? She didn't play a lot last season, some injury, right?

HanQ7 writes:

in response to martinvol34:

AND THE BEST PLAYER ON THE TEAM WILL BE JONES. DON'T SLEEP ON HER FOR A MINUTE!

I agree.... this girl will come out in beast mode this year. I watched her in high school and she is a beast. She'll be more comfortable and come out ready to play!

madrigal writes:

I hope they beat the snot out of UVA. That would make up for the awful 2011 game which I saw in C'ville. UVA was not then, and is not now, in anywhere near the same class as UT. I thought they just went in overconfident in that game. Let's have no more of that!

in response to ps11824:

I think it took the staff awhile to figure out what they have in Jasmine. She wasn't nearly as famous or widely-recruited as most of UT's players. She seems to have the quickness to play outside and the strength to play inside. Like most freshmen, she isn't yet certain what her offensive game will be in college, but even now she is strong, hard-nosed, and a great competitor. IMHO, she is quite capable of having a breakout season. A little more confidence on offense, and she will be one of the key players on this team.

Volinflan writes:

Jasmine Jones was (IMHO) a key to the success of the Vols last season. She played in almost every game and averaged about 16 min per game. She had 5 points per game and 4 rebounds. Not bad for an unheralded freshman. When, because of fouls or injury, the lady Vols desperately needed some help from a forward she came through very impressively. Plus she can play some good defense. Often she was put on the "big" wings from the other teams. As said above, a lot of teams are going to be surprised when JJ gets hold of them.

Volinflan writes:

in response to orangecountyvols:

Vols,

Nice to have a little payback with these gals.

etc. would be Jasmine Jones and Nia Moore. Don't be surprised to see Moore play 10 - 15 minutes per game this year. That girl can really jump and has a lot of athletic ability but she was just totally lost last year. Look for a year of teaching by coaches and players like Harrison to drastically improve her game. Go Lady Vols. It's time to start get exciting. But wait! we have football season first. Forgot about that.

Theo writes:

in response to martinvol34:

AND THE BEST PLAYER ON THE TEAM WILL BE JONES. DON'T SLEEP ON HER FOR A MINUTE!

I think you could be absolutely correct. JJ has unlimited upside. Could probably score at will but I am most excited about a potential "shut down" player.
Can't wait!

maxvolfan#217855 writes:

There is no doubt we will have the most talented team and athletic in the SEC and top 5 in the country. My main concern will be team chemistry and can we piece it all together come tourney time. I am still chapped by that Louiseville game but we were just shocked and illprepared. We thought we would get Baylor. The lady Vols have a good schedule of competition which should keep them focused on the ultimate goal #9

ridor9th writes:

Glad to see at least 11 comments. Virginia Cavaliers went 16-14 and chose not to participate in WNIT after having too many players injured.

As a fan of Virginia Cavaliers, I'm thrilled that we will get to play Tennessee Lady Vols for 17th time. I'm hoping that with Coach Boyle's experience, anything is possible in this game. We will have 4 healthy players coming in as well as having 5 freshmen coming in for minutes. And I think Sarah Imovbioh will surprise y'all in Bahamas.

R-