On Tennessee's pre-camp depth chart, QB race is wide open

University of Tennessee quarterback Nathan Peterman during the Orange and White game at Neyland Stadium on Saturday, April 20, 2013. (AMY SMOTHERMAN BURGESS/NEWS SENTINEL)

Photo by Amy Smotherman Burgess

Tennessee will open practice on Friday with a true quarterback battle, and on Wednesday afternoon the Vols released the depth chart to prove it.

Junior Justin Worley and redshirt freshman Nathan Peterman are listed jointly at No. 1 quarterback on the depth chart posted to UT’s website.

It was the first official depth chart released by head coach Butch Jones in his eight-month tenure.

The depth chart lists Alex Bullard ahead of Marcus Jackson at left guard in what is considered the only major battle along the offensive line.

Notably, junior running back Marlin Lane, who missed part of spring practice due to disciplinary issues but was later reinstated, is not listed on the depth chart. Alden Hill is No. 2 behind starter Rajion Neal.

Cody Blanc, Pig Howard and Jason Croom are listed as starting receivers, ahead of Paul Harris, MarQuez North, Devrin Young and Vincent Dallas.

On defense, senior Daniel Hood was given the nod at nose tackle next to fellow tackle Daniel McCullers. Senior Maurice Couch, who could push for a job on the inside, missed all of spring due to injury and is listed on the second team.

Marlon Walls and Jacques Smith are listed as starting ends, ahead of Corey Miller and Jordan Williams.

Dontavis Sapp, A.J. Johnson and Brent Brewer are the three starting linebackers, although Curt Maggitt, who missed spring due to injuries, could push his way past Brewer for a job.

Justin Coleman and Riyahd Jones are listed as the starting cornerbacks, with Brian Randolph and LaDarrell McNeil at safety and Jaron Toney at nickelback.

Two of the three true freshmen listed on the depth chart are corners: Cameron Sutton and Malik Foreman will begin camp on the second team.

Senior Michael Palardy is listed as the first option on field goals, punts and kickoffs, while Young and Howard are bracketed first and second on both return teams.

The full depth chart is available here.

Evan Woodbery covers Tennessee football. Follow him on Twitter.

Get Copyright Permissions © 2013, Knoxville News Sentinel Co.

PHAT_VOL writes:

Let's Get It Started! YEA!

RockyMtnVol writes:

Go Big Orange!!!

Lizardgrad89 writes:

Of course the QB battle is "wide open". If you pick one in Spring, the other will likely transfer, particularly if you are favoring the younger guy. You don't want to be without an experienced backup.

This is no slight on the UT coaches. It's simply how everybody does it. With good reason.

VolzsFan writes:

in response to Lizardgrad89:

Nobody does that if they have A QB.

4-8 coming your way. 2014....worse.

Supersayin1 writes:

At WR I would rather it be Jason Croom,Marquez North,and Dallas ahead of Jacob Carter,Pig Howard, Paul Harris and Cody Blanc.

I'm not really trusting Hood at Nose! He's not very fast, agressive, and he doesn't really strike fear in anyone!

allvol8 writes:

in response to VolzsFan:

Nobody does that if they have A QB.

4-8 coming your way. 2014....worse.

You are looking at YOUR season.. We will go bowling.. doubt you will

JSmith525 writes:

in response to Supersayin1:

I am totally surprised that Coach Jones didn't call you and get your input before releasing this depth chart. I mean you were there for every spring practice and spent all summer with them charting their progress. What was he thinking? You tell em about it! Go Vols!

mdvol writes:

Is Drae Bowles still on the team? Interesting that North and Harris are already on the chart and haven't ever taken a snap for the VOLS.

JSmith525 writes:

in response to mdvol:

Bowles is a RS Freshman. He still has the opportunity to contribute. I think Harris had a good spring from all accounts. You got to like the size and speed of North. I actually think the Vols might just be better at WR than some assume. The young raw talent is there, the question is, can any of them develop to the team level in quick fashion?

JSmith525 writes:

I am happy for Daniel Hood. He has be an outstanding rep for the team during his time at UT. He is walking proof that some do deserve a second chance!

BIVOLAR_BEARE writes:

in response to Lizardgrad89:

You are absolutely correct about QB's transferring if they feel they are not going to play. Brock Berlin at UF a while back was a prime example. UT had two QB's transfer during Kiffin's short tenure because he made it clear they wouldn't be starters in the Spring.

BIVOLAR_BEARE writes:

in response to JSmith525:

I talked with Drae's father a few weeks ago and it looks like Drae may end up playing DB or even transfer after this season. We'll see, but right now he's not understanding the offense and he's frustrated with himself and lack of development. The one area he's really excelled in was the weight room, he's a physical specimen for sure.

ProfessionalHandicapper writes:

in response to Lizardgrad89:

That's rediculous. If you have a true number one you list him as the team leader. I quess Fulmer listed Manning as a 1A or 1B, or Florida listed Tebow as a co starter? Look at Georgia and see who they list as starter.. Only time you don't list a number one QB is when you don't have one.

wononta writes:

in response to JSmith525:

I agree.

But on topic, this line-up will work fine. You got to start somewhere, so why not start with guys competing, and cracking heads. I like some of the upper/under classmen match-ups, it's going to be good...

AllforTenn writes:

in response to JSmith525:

Good retort. Reminds me of all the armchair experts griping about Brandon Stewart not getting the nod over Peyton. Some watch a couple of plays and think they know more than the coaches.

DiegoVol writes:

in response to AllforTenn:

I remember my mom thinking the same thing about Stewart. All I could think of to say was, Stay in the kitchen mom :)

ReeseHallRelic writes:

in response to ProfessionalHandicapper:

That's right. And the CommodeDoors have just what the doctor ordered: a kid who sat out all last year after transferring from the college football factory known as Wyoming, where the wind blows every day and turns raw QB meat into the forged steel of a lean mean passing machine.....

Supersayin1 writes:

in response to JSmith525:

I have no clue what the heck he was thinking! He's lucky i'm full Butch and trust his decisions!He better consult me next time! GO VOLS!!!

BIVOLAR_BEARE writes:

in response to DiegoVol:

Dang dude, do you often seek advice about UT fb from your mom? Sorry, couldn't resist..GBO!!

JSmith525 writes:

in response to Supersayin1:

+1 lol

hikerdude writes:

A coach considers many factors when he publishes a depth chart before the first fall practice. Its not all about who he thinks is best at the position. He uses it to motivate players, etc. I hope Worley wins the qb job, just because he seems like a good kid and has been here longer. But, if Peterman beats him out, so be it. I'm really looking forward to the season although I think Butch should be coach of the year if we win more than 6 games. I've never seen a more difficult schedule.

Olddogsrule writes:

Hmmm. Anybody remember a pre-fall depth chart being what it was for the first game? ... EVER?

eVOLved writes:

in response to DiegoVol:

I thought something quite different. <Insert generic momma joke here>

brokendownoldvol writes:

in response to DiegoVol:

As true freshmen Stewart was further along than Peyton. Peyton was still growing.

in response to BIVOLAR_BEARE:

Some moms have been known to offer advice whether they were asked for it or not(;-P)! Of course, whenever my mom did that, she was usually right! She even knows a lot about football.

in response to AllforTenn:

That was quite the live issue in Big Orange Country at the time. I pretty much leaned toward Peyton, but Stewart partisans had reasons for their choice as well. I think the final decision was the best for Peyton and the Vols. I would be interested to know what Stewart is doing these days. He didn't make it big in football as a player, so I hope he had something to fall back on.