Butch Jones hints at UT uniform tweaks, but says changes will ‘respect tradition’

sp-uniformsweb31

University of Tennessee head coach Butch Jones throws a pass to wide receiver Cody Blanc during the practice and first scrimmage at Neyland Stadium on Saturday, March 16, 2013. (AMY SMOTHERMAN BURGESS/NEWS SENTINEL)

Photo by Amy Smotherman Burgess

UT LB Dontavis Sapp on the importance of a positive attitude.

Tennessee coach Butch Jones hinted to fans that the Vols might unveil a special uniform, but he emphasized that it would respect the program’s traditions.

Jones had already confirmed some small changes to the 2013 uniform, including a Tennessee state patch. But many teams unveil special uniforms for big games that are popular with recruits, players and fans.

Jones said recruiting is a factor in uniform changes, but said he is as devoted to UT’s traditions as fans.

“I think I’ve proven that,” he said.

Even so, could there be further changes forthcoming?

"There may be something coming,” Jones said without elaboration, “but everything we do will respect our traditions at Tennessee."

Check out a live-blog of UT's preseason press conference.

Evan Woodbery covers Tennessee football. Follow him on Twitter.

Get Copyright Permissions © 2013, Knoxville News Sentinel Co.

Olddogsrule writes:

I respect tradition like a good VOL fan should. I've been one since the middle of last century.
But whatever the players and coaches want is great by me. Orange and White with some (or even all) Black now and then. They are team and those are their uniforms, we're just their fans.

OrangePsyched writes:

I am old school and a traditionalist. That said the best tradition is winning and I know there is a younger generation that buys tickets and players now like a little change from time to time. As long as it's got my Tennessee Orange in it I will be fine with black,grey,or whatever.

CoverOrange writes:

We have a tradition of making changes. Let's not change tradition.

stevefrommemphis writes:

in response to CoverOrange:

We have a tradition of making changes. Let's not change tradition.

My favorite is when they do something new and call it a "new tradition."

Beat Alabama first, then worry about the uniforms.

6972 writes:

call me old fashion....it's O & W for me.

antonio14313 writes:

NEVER change the orange.

go vols.

t

frblalack writes:

Tennessee Vols: Orange & White. Period!

Please let's roll with our traditional Orange and White. After all those ARE the school colors and have been since I can remember.

Recruits understand tradition, students understand tradition, faculty understand tradition, and now it's time for our new football coaches and administration to respect the Orange & White. We're not called the Big Orange for nothing. And we're NOT Orange and Black.

JMHO!

All Vols - Always - Believe in the Orange & White!

SummittsCourt writes:

Oregon was unnoticed until they started changing their uniforms. Now look at them.

I'm not saying do anything crazy like Oregon, but a little change to keep the recruits and younger players interested can only help.

Go Vols!

govols26 writes:

If it means more positive attention, better performance on the field and gets the players more excited then why the heck not? They're not changing the school colors here and its only for big games...whatever it takes to win!

wallingdad writes:

in response to SummittsCourt:

Go Vols!

I wonder how Alabama does it then? I am not sure that gimmicks are good. Solid coaching.....now that has merit..

fearthehound writes:

I'm an old time Vol. Have been rabid since my childhood and am a proud alumnus. That being said, I wouldn't mind at all some seeing some changes here and there--especially in the big games. I, for one, loved the SC halloween uniforms.

jbc writes:

Oregon's state of the art football facility

volistic writes:

My favorite game at Neyland was Halloween night, 2009, when they came out with the black jerseys against a heavily favored South Carolina team. The players were more fired up than I have ever seen them before or since. USC received the opening kickoff and four minutes later it was 14-0 Tennessee. After that, the game was over. So, as far as the uniforms go, if it fires up the players, that's fine with me, even if they wear pink and turquoise.

Swanndiggs writes:

There is nothing wrong with having a change for 1 game a year, every year.

I live and die by the Orange and White.

Winning and Traditon do matter, but that is being too shortsighted. There is not a thing wrong with having a little extra spark for one game.

Being a VOL in living in Columbia, SC, I see how the Gamecock fanbase, students, alumni, and recruits really come together and support the Wounded Warrior program and have a special uniform once a year.

Personally I love to see, for whatever game chosen each year, a new change. Black one year, Gray one year, a completely different style of the Traditional Uniform, Checkerboard numbers perhaps.

Prostar writes:

I don't mind a MINOR change here and there but please no "combat" uniforms or silver or chrome helmets. We're Orange and White.

pingkr62 writes:

I think changes are coming if we want them or not. Personally I don't have a problem with it as long as they don't do anything crazy. Someone else commented about Alabama's uniforms remaining the same, I say in the near future, they will change their uniforms as well. Give it time! G.B.O.!!!

iowavol writes:

How old is this article? I thought I saw it on the 247 site 2 weeks ago.

Witch_Doctors writes:

Witch Doctor not care if their pants have big a_s holes cut out as long as Vols win. Witch Doctor say be kinda funny too.
Bones never lie.

RollTideJoe writes:

in response to Swanndiggs:

There is nothing wrong with having a change for 1 game a year, every year.

I live and die by the Orange and White.

You might be surprised to know that the first school to use the checkerboard was Alabama back in the early 80s.

NTNSTY writes:

in response to Olddogsrule:

Well said.

VolGrad writes:

in response to SummittsCourt:

Go Vols!

Oregon was relatively unnoticed until they hired Chip Kelly as Offensive Coordinator in 2007.

Alabama didn't do it with grandiose uniform changes. It was a coaching change also.

I don't mind having some changes with the uniforms, but the more important thing is winning.

GBO!

tanasi2 writes:

Butch, please leave the checkerboard on the field, not on the jersey!!! Black Uniforms trimmed in Orange would look great once in a while! Don't screw up the uniforms!!

West10Vol writes:

Nike/Oregon have created this monster, and the recruits love the flashy unis. Follow some of our targets on Twitter and you will see pics of what other schools are considering. Thus, we must maintain our firm policy of flexibility! Wasn't it Eric Berry who lobbied Hamilton for the black jersies? if we have to change some things to attract the best players, let's give CBJ the flexibility to do so. I believe him when he says he will respect tradition, he hasn't lied to us yet!

SoFlaVol writes:

in response to GET_OVER_IT_YOU_LOST:

So does that mean we should revert back to the khaki colored pants the original football Volunteers wore? Even the jerseys back then had black stripes down the sleeves or on the shoulders. Just how traditional are you? Most of us only think of tradition as what we personally remember. I say push the envelop with subtle changes to keep the uniforms fresh a d modern but hang onto the traditional colors, which may include more than orange and white.

oasis3#214380 writes:

in response to RollTideJoe:

Actually, RollTideJoe, YOU might be surprised to know that Tennessee first used the checkerboard end zones in 1964. In case you are mentally challenged, like most Bama fans, that is before the early 80s. Now you can crawl back into your hole.

volspaws writes:

in response to RollTideJoe:

Incorrect...Tennessee first used the checkerboard in the 1960s.....as far as the uniforms go...don't mess them up, Coach Jones....this isn't Cincinnati...spend less time showing recruits uniforms and more time showing them the trophy cases...follow that up by coaching them to a level that makes them NFL prospects.

tennlions writes:

in response to Witch_Doctors:

Bones never lie.

So you're saying it would be OK to have a picture of Nick Saban on the back of the pants?

BIVOLAR_BEARE writes:

in response to Witch_Doctors:

Bones never lie.

You mean like James Franklin??

VOL56 writes:

I'd like to see "Volunteers" or "Vols" injected someplace on the uniforms.

One more thing - I see over and over from national media - TV etc that the UT O line is rated to be one of the best in the nation - with any running game at all we should knock off somebody we aren't picked to beat???

Witch_Doctors writes:

in response to tennlions:

Witch Doctor say yikes! lol
Bones never lie.

Witch_Doctors writes:

in response to BIVOLAR_BEARE:

You mean like James Franklin??

Witch Doctor say hes the coolest man in West'hood.lol. Witch Doctor hear oh the legend of how he jump off Dead mans drop cliff that no 9 year old dares get near and taking over the state by constantly talking about himself! haha
Bones never lie.

utnc98 writes:

I hope it means going back to the road uniforms of the late 60s and early 70s. white pant with white jerseys with the orange on the top quarter (shoulder pad and collar area) of the jersey.