Tory Lewis hits game-winning single in 7th to lift Lady Vols, 1-0

RBI in seventh backs Renfroe's strong outing

Tennessee's Whitney Hammond (23) reacts with teammates after scoring the game-winning run in the bottom of the seventh inning during an NCAA softball game in the Women's College World Series between Washington and Tennessee at ASA Hall of Fame Stadium in Oklahoma City, Saturday, June 1, 2013. Tennessee won 1-0. (AP Photo/The Oklahoman, Nate Billings) LOCAL TV OUT (KFOR, KOCO, KWTV, KOKH, KAUT OUT); LOCAL INTERNET OUT; LOCAL PRINT OUT (EDMOND SUN OUT, OKLAHOMA GAZETTE OUT) TABLOIDS OUT

Photo by NATE BILLINGS

Tennessee's Tory Lewis (7) drives in the game-winning run in the bottom of the seventh inning during an NCAA softball game in the Women's College World Series between Washington and Tennessee at ASA Hall of Fame Stadium in Oklahoma City, Saturday, June 1, 2013. Tennessee won 1-0. (AP Photo/The Oklahoman, Nate Billings) LOCAL TV OUT (KFOR, KOCO, KWTV, KOKH, KAUT OUT); LOCAL INTERNET OUT; LOCAL PRINT OUT (EDMOND SUN OUT, OKLAHOMA GAZETTE OUT) TABLOIDS OUT$RETURN$$RETURN$

Photo by NATE BILLINGS

Tennessee press conference after win over Washington

OKLAHOMA CITY — One after another, they had their shots. One after another, they whiffed or popped up or tapped out.

“It’s all about timely hitting.’’ Tennessee co-head coach Ralph Weekly said Saturday, “and it took us a while to get that timely hit.’’

It took until two outs in the bottom of the seventh inning.

That’s when Tory Lewis slapped a single through the middle of the Washington infield to bring home Whitney Hammond for a 1-0 win over the Huskies in the Women’s College World Series.

Despite leaving 13 runners on base, despite stranding the go-ahead run at third base five times, despite coming up empty on three bases-loaded opportunities, the No. 7 seed Lady Vols (51-10) are 2-0 in the WCWS.

They’ll be back at ASA Hall of Fame Stadium on Sunday at 7 p.m. (TV: ESPN2) to meet the survivor of a losers’ bracket pool that includes Florida, Nebraska and Texas.

Top seed Oklahoma is 2-0 on the opposite bracket after pounding Texas 10-2.

On a clear, hot afternoon, Friday night’s tornado drama seemed all but forgotten.

“Yesterday I was pretty traumatized,’’ said shortstop Madison Shipman. “But once the game started it completely left my mind.’’

Lewis’ heroics were possible thanks to unrelenting tenacity from pitcher Ellen Renfroe (19-4) for seven innings.

Renfroe allowed a leadoff single to Victoria Hayward but then only one more single. She struck out 10, hit one batter and didn’t walk any.

Only four Huskies reached base. None touched second.

“The way Ellen was pitching, I knew she was gonna hold ’em

until we got a run,’’ Weekly said.

Possibly, sister Ivy Renfroe would have gotten the start against Washington (44-16) had Friday’s scheduled game not been postponed because of the tornado that swept through the area, leaving nine dead.

Ellen Renfroe pitched a four-hitter against Florida on Thursday. The day off left her available for Washington.

“We felt Ellen was a better match up for Washington,’’ Weekly said. “I’ve seen a lot of toughness out of Ellen.’’

He saw 11 scoreless innings out of Ellen in a 1-0 win over North Carolina State in the Knoxville regional. By comparison, Saturday was a light day.

“Same as the N.C. State game,’’ said Shipman, “we kept telling her, ‘Hold ’em, hold ’em, we’ll get one across eventually.’

“We did keep putting pressure on ‘em and eventually we did find a way.’’

Renfroe focused on her job, not her hitters’ struggles.

“Just continuing to have a presence on the mound for my team,’’ she said.

“The Washington hitters definitely made that difficult. I think after the game, I finally took a deep breath for the first time all day.’’

The Huskies hit several balls hard, sending all three of Tennessee’s outfielders to the fence to make catches.

“We had a lot of balls squared up, hit to the wall,’’ said Washington’s Hayward. “We were one ball dropping our way from winning that game.’’

The ball that finally dropped was off Lewis’ bat.

Cheyanne Tarango led off the seventh with a single off All-American Kaitlin Inglesby (23-8), then yielded to pinch-runner Hammond. Melissa Brown’s sacrifice bunt moved Hammond to second.

Pinch-hitter Rainey Gaffin walked. Hannah Akamine lined a shot back at Inglesby, who made the snag and tried to double Gaffin off first.

Gaffin was back in time, and when the throw was bobbled by first baseman Hooch Fagaly, Hammond alertly raced to third base.

Then again, the Lady Vols had been racing to third base all day.

“We had some great hitters up there with the bases loaded or runners in scoring position,’’ Weekly said, “and this game is a game of failure. If you’re successful three out of 10 times you’re a star in this game.’’

Lewis was successful, capping the first three-hit game of her career in dramatic style.

“I started celebrating,’’ she said, “before I got to first base and (first-base coach) Mark (Weekly) said, ‘Touch the base, touch the base!’

“I felt like somebody was bound to take it home for us and get that timely hit and there it was.’’

Follow Mike Strange on Twitter at Strangemike44.

Get Copyright Permissions © 2013, Knoxville News Sentinel Co.

SummittsCourt writes:

Give credit to where credit is due: Ellen Renfro won this game today. 10 K's, zero walks and only two hits.

In case you were not counting: Tennessee pitching has only allowed 7 runs in 7 games.

BTW, did you see that game winning SLAP HIT by Tori Lewis!

Snapshot writes:

Congratulations Lady Vols! Nice game, just don't leave the bases loaded three times without scoring again! Hope you bring the trophy back to K-town.

hallmo11 writes:

Great win after a rough night! Keep that momentum!!

vol98champ writes:

The umpire was very consistent. Evidently a pitch 1 inch out of the strike zone was a ball for the Lady Vols and a pitch on the corners and up and down was a strike for Washington. Ellen was magnificent.

vol98champ writes:

We need to hear from numbers 1,2,3, and 4 in the batting order. Hard to imagine winning Sunday if they don't get some timely hits.

Fall_Creek_Vols writes:

in response to hallmo11:

Great win after a rough night! Keep that momentum!!

The "Mo" in Oak City is wearing Tennessee Orange!

TommyJack writes:

Home plate ump was excellent. Great work, ladies.

volman2008 writes:

Tenn. goes as SHIPMAM and TARANGO,go,go,go,go,LADY VOLS

volsfaninsc writes:

in response to WhoseMessNow:

hacaf1965 has reivented hisself again after being banished. Same ole song and muck...oh you did give kudos to Weekly's so you could the usual dig in at the AD slot.

On topic,congrats Lady Vols for perservering til the exciting end.

oldster writes:

in response to vol98champ:

That is as it is supposed to be, right? If no part of the ball touches any part of the strike zone it is a ball, while it is a strike if any part of the ball touches the strike zone - no matter who threw the ball or who is at bat. All I ask is for the consistency which I felt today's ump showed much better than Thursday's or the one currently behind the plate for the OU vs. Longhorn game. Go other UT/Orange!

tennrich1 writes:

in response to WhoseMessNow:

I agree with the Vols great win but my word are you just absolutely wrong about Joan wanting the AD job....why would someone just carelessly throw that out when Joan has been so honest about her position on that issue...just blows me away...

tennrich1 writes:

in response to tennrich1:

She's been honest BOTH publicly and privately in fact....Great woman...and honest

voloffaith writes:

in response to volman2008:

Tenn. goes as SHIPMAM and TARANGO,go,go,go,go,LADY VOLS

Glad to see you consistently putting out same post......however you did upgrade on the last two by getting Cheyanne's last name properly spelled. Small correction as it is followed by this one. As the Renfroe sister's pitch their A game we are always in it waiting possibly for that timely hit to support them. Go Lady Vols rest up for 2maro evenings game...........

utvolfan1955 writes:

in response to tennrich1:

Whosemess is a troll. That's what trolls do. Post BS as facts. He is more than likely either hapless, toddy or jeffy

lstbodeanvol writes:

glad the ladies survived the storms last night and were able to get a win today..good luck GO LADY VOLS !!!!!

rheavol1 writes:

in response to WhoseMessNow:

What a fool comment.we do not need a women ad.

vol98champ writes:

in response to oldster:

I was praising the eyes of the umpire and the Lady Vols. Thanks for explaining what I thought everybody already knew.

vol1994 writes:

in response to WhoseMessNow:

Your post is not only comical but totally incorrect! Why do you get off posting ignorant and untrue comments?
Geez, grow up. I guess this site doesn't require one to be of legal age.

RashaadSalabeb writes:

I watched the game and although we squandered a few opportunities we came through in the end. It was obvious which was the better team. Keep fighting ladies! Keep winning! Let everyone know who you are....YOU ARE TENNESSEE! YOU ARE TENNESSEE!

Titan writes:

in response to vol1994:

Geez, grow up. I guess this site doesn't require one to be of legal age.

WhoseMess and Hapless are peas in a pod. Got an agenda to promote and will find a way to weave it into every thread - no matter how stupid or pointless. It mush be a miserable life to continually wallow in the mud like they do.

abnerPeabody writes:

in response to SummittsCourt:

BTW, did you see that game winning SLAP HIT by Tori Lewis!

What roll did the other players play in the win? The way I see it,all of the teammates won the game. Renfro only gave the team a chance to win. It is a team game.I do give E.Renfro credit for a great game however.

ModelMaker writes:

I thought Hammond really did a great job of base running and Lewis did a great job of clutch hitting, which is something that the Lady Vol's lacked the whole game. What can you say about Ellen Renfroe; I thought she was just fantastic. These girls are nothing but first class (blue chip) all the way. I wish them nothing but the best.

abnerPeabody writes:

in response to WhoseMessNow:

Cronan retired of her own free will.She did not want to remain at U.T. Get over her. She was not the GOD most think she was.

abnerPeabody writes:

in response to oldster:

You have excellent eye sight to be able to know exactly what is a strike and what is not by watching on Television.Congratulations.

abnerPeabody writes:

in response to WhoseMessNow:

Why don't you wrap a rope around your neck,stand on a chair and jump off.

huntined#565710 writes:

This was a GREAT WIN... Yes we should have had a lot more runs but they gave up zero runs. And they will take this game into the next game as well..Only gave up 2 runs in two games to real good teams. Let's just be grateful we won as most of you know when you have a lot of chances like we did to get runs and you do not get them most of the time you lose on one hard hit ball. They did get the one hit they needed and that hit won the game. Washington got the strike outs when they needed them without giving up any runs...JUST GLAD WE WON now just move on to the next game this one is OVER...

abnerPeabody writes:

in response to bullybattle#1417981:

You are right. However,it is a team game and someone has to make the great fielding plays whils someone has to get on base and someone else has to bring the runner home.No one person is responsible for the win. Everyone play's a roll. Let's not argue about it. We{Tennessee} won and that is what it's all about for us Vlo fans.

papavol writes:

in response to bullybattle#1417981:

Not sure what kind of hit it was. What I do know is that it was a GAME WINNING HIT. If you don't like game winning hits than you should probably route for a different team.

volsfaninsc writes:

in response to bullybattle#1417981:

Thank you hacaf1965 alter ego formerly known a >1Percent. Interesting that you two lil 'peas in a pod" both have the same start date for new post since previous names got banned for continual violation of the rules in various shapes and fashions. Ya know like "off topic" or threatening another poster.....

Thanks Lady Vols we are proud of you for sticking in there when things were a little dicey(sp) for a while.............

GOJO writes:

How in the world did UT win when the announcers continuously expounded on what they were doing wrong, & that they could not adjust.
When the game was over, which pitcher did the talking head brag on - - Inglesby, not Ellen.
Oh well, those that can do will do, others just criticize.

oldster writes:

She hits singles and probably has to use the same bat to stay single by beating the guys off.

oldster writes:

in response to abnerPeabody:

I do not call balls and strikes from my arm chair. However, I am fairly well versed on the rules. And, if you read what I said and properly comprehend it (i.e. try to refrain from being a smarty pants) you would have recognized as much. My opinion of the two umpires was based as much on the reactions (or non-reactions) of the players and coaches as it was/is on the replays of the pitches with the superimposed strike zone. Technology is a wonderful thing.

Brentwoodvol writes:

in response to bullybattle#1417981:

You really don't know a lot about FPS do you??? The game and score dictate alot of whether you hit or slap. The way Ellen was pitching Coaches were only trying to score that one run. With our speed I would take our chances. Base running error's have cost us more than slapping. If it's 0-0 in OK game, expect to see more slapping!!!! If we need more runs you will see slappers hit more. Would much rather see slap hitter up than reg hitter with girl on 3rd, if I was needing to get her in. Your avg to get her home is higher!!!

Original_Witch_Doctor writes:

Witch Doctor says that Washington defense was as tough as some week old chicken I ate yesterday.
Bones never lie.

Witch_Doctors writes:

in response to Original_Witch_Doctor:

Bones never lie.

Witch Doctor say how does it feel to never be me? Witch Doctor say you now have moved into stage two..denial, Witch Doctor really enjoy this part. lol
Bones never lie.

Brentwoodvol writes:

in response to bullybattle#1417981:

Have you ever heard good pitching beats good hitting??? Name me 1 team that won a CWS that just had hitting??? If game is 0-0 your trying to score a run away you can, cause you think your pitcher will shut down other team.

Brentwoodvol writes:

in response to Ghost_Of_Neyland:

I agree, but someone has to be on to move runners around.

Brentwoodvol writes:

in response to bullybattle#1417981:

It takes both, is all I'm saying. Are you 12??? I never said have a whole team of slap hitters, but if you watch the games, it's timely hitting and errors that score most runs. Slap hitters get on, and big hitter knock em in, it's how a lot of teams are set up, like the Vols are!! I don't like the odds of hitting 3HR in a row either!!! But when you get HR it sure is nice to have someone on. UT coaches get paid more than me or you, so I'll go with them!!!

MetroplexMojo writes:

in response to oldster:

I think this could have been worded differently.

Snapshot writes:

in response to MetroplexMojo:

I think this could have been worded differently.

My thoughts too!

SummittsCourt writes:

in response to abnerPeabody:

I wasn't trying to discount what the other players contributed, but let's not kid ourselves, if Ellen isn't on her game the Lady Vols don't win this game because they couldn't buy a clutch hit until Tori Lewis' game winner.

SummittsCourt writes:

in response to bullybattle#1417981:

My last line was simply a shot at the one guy who has made a nuisance of himself with his anti-slap hitting posts.

BTW, the last half of Oklahoma's lineup is all slap hitters. As I've daid they have their place in this game.

UT has the pitching and the bats to beat, not just hang, with Oklahoma. They just need to get the clutch hits that brings in runs.

SummittsCourt writes:

in response to bullybattle#1417981:

You couldn't be more wrong, the reason the team didn't score runs has nothing to do with slap hitting, but everything to do with not getting the timely hits and a few bad swings.

3 times the bases were loaded and 3 times the at bat player swung and struck out on ball 4.

Bottom of the 6th, a run would have score had Lauren Gibson's hit up the middle not hit the pitcher. Same before Tori Lewis' hit (which was a slap hit) the pitcher had her glove in the right place other wise that is a hit up the middle and a winning run scores.

Sometimes the ball doesn't bounce right. UT has it's home run hitters, but so far no home runs but there are 2 wins and that's all that matters.

Great Pitchers always beats great hitting and UT has two great pitchers.

oldster writes:

in response to Snapshot:

My thoughts too!

Sure it could have. It could have been said, "Tory is a very pretty girl in addition to being a good athlete and hero of todays game." However, that is much more bland. I was trying to be clever. I guess either I failed, or some prefer clearer messages.

vol98champ writes:

in response to SummittsCourt:

Great Pitchers always beats great hitting and UT has two great pitchers.

Thanks for trying to explain the game to bully---. Surely he or she is just on here to cause discontent. If not the knowledge of FPS is negligible.

orangecountyvols writes:

in response to vol98champ:

Vol98,

You're correct. Actually, these two who managed to get back here once again ( for another short stay ) are probably trying to 'ease' their way in cautiously to try and stay for a while.

However, out of curiosity, I did read one or two of their posts to see if they were the same nuisances we've had to contend with off and on during their short stays here.

A matter of time. There will eventually be a procedure in place to keep these two off forever.

As for the Lady Vols, the rest us are pulling for them, not criticizing every aspect of the game. Actually, a very good sign for the team is the capability of each and every player to step up and deliver. The bottom part of the lineup has been really amazing. Then, the next thing we know, it'll be back to Raven, Madison, Lauren, Kat etc to do their thing. In other words, they are a dangerous lineup, along with the stellar pitching we've seen. And, Ivy hasn't even thrown a pitch to this point. Ellen has gotten very comfortable in the circle, and opponents can't rely on the Lady Vols leaving a lot of runners on base.

oldster writes:

in response to SummittsCourt:

Great Pitchers always beats great hitting and UT has two great pitchers.

I agree that the Huskies are the luckiest team in the WS, based on the two games so far. I disagree that UT has two great pitchers and/or that great pitchers always beats great hitting. The Renfroe pitchers are very good, but they are not great, or even the best ones in this WC. UT had a great pitcher - maybe the best in the game. She did not beat great hitting because one cannot win any sport without scoring and she, like Ellen Renfroe and every other UT pitcher, has hitters who have shown the inability to hit in the post season (I started to say against great pitching, but the pitcher they were up against yesterday was not even the best one the Huskies have).

manoffewwords writes:

Will the real witch doctor please stand up.

Witch_Doctors writes:

in response to manoffewwords:

Will the real witch doctor please stand up.

Witch Doctor smack you in head with Bone. lol
Bones never lie.

orangecountyvols writes:

in response to bullybattle#1417981:

Be very careful Billy. You really enjoy being canned here don't you? By now, everyone knows who you and Wilted Flowers are..........and as previously mentioned, there will be a movement underway to forever get rid of our 2 all time gripers and braggarts.

As I clearly referenced, Ellen has and is pitching brilliantly. Then, along comes your as usual childish comment trying to twist arround what people say........to suit yourself.

Yes, you and your 'partner' crawled back again, and for a while meekly tried to compliment the team. Then, along came the familiar Dave Hart and anti-slap hitting references. You actually enjoy being banned don't you? The rest of us don't need to dream up new screen names because the staff and Vol fans here tire of your inability to stay on topic and whining about former coaches, A D, softball coaches' strategy etc.

Just continue to do what you're 'good' at and don't be surprised at what happens.