UT preferred walk-on kicker Andrew Gantz going to Cincinnati in same capacity

Instead of walking on for first-year Tennessee coach Butch Jones, kicker Andrew Gantz announced Sunday he is going to Cincinnati — Jones’ last school — also as a preferred walk-on.

Gantz said on Twitter Sunday, “I will now be playing football at The University of Cincinnati, I had to make the best decision for my family and myself #Bearcats #UC”

Gantz is a three-star prospect and ranked the nation’s No. 7 kicker in the 2013 class by 247Sports. But the Vols already had options at kicker with Michael Palardy and George Bullock, and added 3-star kicker Aaron Medley to the 2014 recruiting class in March. Medley is the second-ranked kicker in the class by 247Sports.

“Some things changed recently,” Gantz told 247Sports on Sunday. “I have nothing bad to say about the University of Tennessee and the coaches there, but I felt like I needed to look at a better opportunity to get on the field. I want to play. I work hard every day, and I want to play. I think this gives me the best opportunity to play.”

When Gantz, from Dayton, Ohio, said he was walking on at Tennessee in January, he told GoVols247 he thought he would be starting at the beginning of the upcoming season.

“I wouldn’t have chosen the (walk-on) offer at Tennessee,” Gantz said in January, “unless I was pretty positive that I was coming in next year and winning the starting job.”

Get Copyright Permissions © 2013, Knoxville News Sentinel Co.

thevoice writes:

Why is the 2nd best kicker in the country only a three star? This is "foot"ball right?

springtx_vol writes:

Why does a preferred walk-on think he is going to be handed both kicking jobs over two upperclasmen and the no 2 ranked kicker?

rockypop writes:

The real question is why would a supposed No. 7 kicker in the country ever opt for a walk-on offer vs. an actual scholarship? As per their usual half-as*ed reporting, the KNS doesn't say in the article whether or not Gantz received a scholarship at UC, but the assumption is that he did.

Henley-Street-Bridge writes:

Little arrogant for a freshmen kicker if you ask me, 3 start at best. I hope he's happy up there kicking outside of the SEC in whatever league they're in now.

Vol1973 writes:

He is going to Cincy as a preferred walk-on where there is less competition... no big deal... the Vols are already covered.

Go Vols !!

snowpeapod#263184 writes:

in response to rockypop:

Read the headline of the article. Same capacity only means one thing.

Ironcity writes:

The guy is doing what is best for him I get it. UT recruited over him and he moved on. If he doesn't win the job at UC he will move again. I wish him well and I hope he nails every kick accept the ones against UT. Now lets hope Bullock and the back up punter move on so we can free some more schollys.

vol2theend writes:

Wishing the young man well, but obviously he didn't believe he could beat out current kickers and left.

oldster writes:

If he is not better than Palardy, then he needs to go somewhere else. I just hope Bullard is. Palardy may well be the second greatest bust as a kicker in UT history (see the first and only, as far as I know, number one high school kicker that UT recruited, Dirk Borgnone). He is almost as bad as the last kicker UT had from Florida, Daniel "I can consitently kick my center in the butt with the ball" Lincoln.

BruisedOrange writes:

The young man said, "... I had to make the best decision for my family and myself," and getting on the field soon was the reason to switch.

I have no inside information, but it does strike me that this is what one might do if there was reason to believe someone in your family might not be around to see you play 3 or 4 years from now.

fearthehound writes:

in response to BruisedOrange:

Huh?

fearthehound writes:

in response to oldster:

Would this be the same Daniel Lincoln that became a Navy Seal? Can you consistently kick your center in the butt with the ball, Mr. Oldster--or can you even get the ball up?---lol

keepitreal4vols writes:

in response to oldster:

What do you mean "If he is not better than Palardy"??? Palardy missed 3 PAT, never made a FG over 38 yds and was replaced by a kid partying in a fraternity house. So I believe its safe to assume that yes, he is MUCH better than Palardy.

Titan writes:

in response to rockypop:

Maybe it's a late edit by KNS but the last sentence of the first paragraph says "also as a preferred walk-on." Half a** reporting or half a** reading?

utvolfan1955 writes:

in response to Titan:

The title explains it is in the same capacity at Cincy as Tennessee

THEKIDWISCONSIN writes:

I don't care who's kicking the ball or how many stars he has...just put the freak'n ball through the uprights!

How many high schools are there in this country? Thousands & thousands and for way too many seasons we hold our breaths for something as simple as a PAT!

CoverOrange writes:

Wonder what the difference is in out of state tuition for Tennessee and in state for Ohio. Could have been a big factor in the decision. Excellent kickers can excel anywhere.

BetsyVol writes:

in response to CoverOrange:

In-State fees in Ohio is not a lot less than out of State fees in Tennessee. Southwest Ohio sends a lot of kids to Tennessee. Between the cost difference, the relative proximity (4-5 hr drive from Cincy-Dayton area) and the programs at Tennessee, UT is fairly attractive to this area. Last I saw, Tennessee gets the largest number of out of state kids from north Georgia, SW Virginia and SW Ohio, in that order.

Henley-Street-Bridge writes:

Ray Charles ~ The Cincinnati Kid

orangeman1 writes:

No loss for UT. It seems we've got a better kicker coming in next year anyway and that Gantz knew the other guy was better. I dont blame him for wanting the opportunity to play. That's what he emphasized about 4 times in his statement. I guess he wants to play, just not compete.

BruisedOrange writes:

in response to fearthehound:

Huh?

Huh, what?

volfaninbuckeyeland writes:

in response to CoverOrange:

Hey Cover, I met this young man's mother by chance in a Walmart in the Dayton area on Friday following the Spring game. Not only was she very excited about her son's coming to UT, in spite of the fact that her entire family were Buckeye fans, but her son was just as thrilled and had even expressed this personally to Urban Meyer. She did express concern at being able to come up with $42k for out of state tuition until his full scholarship was in place. As excited and enthused as this mother was about her son's coming to UT, I have to think something else is taking place behind the scenes and I was thinking that last week when UT announced that they had signed an in state kicker. This mother indicated how much her son "loved" CBJ & staff and that there was no place like Neyland. I had submitted a comment about this meeting with Mrs. Gantz, so naturally, I am very curious about this turn of events.

govolsn3 writes:

Just like coach JONES, this kid is finding out that SEC game is alot bigger than the CINCY type games. Competition is fierce. GO VOLS

TitanandVolfan4life writes:

If you can NOT compete and WIN the job outright then go to some other school with less competition to try and play.

This kid will never play in the NFL because he's scared to even try to compete for a kicking job.

If he was really that good of a kicker then he would have been offered a scholly somewhere by some school but he wasn't so he has to pay his own tuition and try to qualify as a walk on no matter where he goes to school.

Our Vols have the 2nd best kicker in the country coming in so losing this kid is really no loss at all.

I wish the kid good luck but he'll have to learn he HAS to compete if he ever really wants to get anywhere in football or in real life.

VFL...GBO!!!

Ironcity writes:

in response to oldster:

Palardy made everything inside 50 yards this spring. Looks like he turned the corner. I wish we had someone else that could punt so he could concentrate on one skill but we don't. Seems to me some kickers take a couple of years to get the yips out. With Dooley as your coach it can take longer because no one could handle his kickers worse then Dooley.

CoverOrange writes:

in response to volfaninbuckeyeland:

Hey Buck. $42k, wow. That includes room and board, books, etc., of course but even instate fees cost more per year than it cost me for all four er five years I went.

From what you said (how did you know it was his mother?) sounds like the kid was advised to look around. UC is a really good school but a terrible location in downtown Cincy as you probably know. Which Walmart, near the one of the malls? I see The Power T on cars all the time around here.

Colliervol writes:

Must be a slow day in the sports department to have to drag out an article about UT losing a WALK-ON kicker. I'm surprised they didn't drag out the obligatory Majors, Fulmer or Kiffin article. Oh wait, that's probably for tomorrow. My heart beats with antici------pation as to what dead horse they beat this time. Only one positive about this pitiful site now. It's free. Catch 22 though. That's what started the demise in the first place.

volboy81 writes:

I guess he figured with Bullock a RS Freshman this year and Medley coming in in 2014, he wasnt going to be playing much. Best of luck to him. I think we are in good hands with the kicking game for the 1st time in a few years.