Lady Vols lose key pieces, but return talent for another run next season

University of Tennessee Lady Vols softball player Ellen Renfroe signs an autograph for a fan as the team returns from the Womens College World Series, Wednesday, June 5, 2013. The Lady VOls fell to Oklahoma in the finals, ending their season 52-12. (AMY SMOTHERMAN BURGESS/NEWS SENTINEL)

Photo by Amy Smotherman Burgess

Tennessee press conference following losing the WCWS

Oklahoma press conference after winning the 2013 WCWS

OKLAHOMA CITY — One year ago, Oklahoma’s softball team stood in line at Hall of Fame Stadium and watched Alabama accept the 2012 national championship trophy.

“From that last out we were the team to beat (for 2013),’’ Oklahoma coach Patty Gasso said Tuesday night.

The Sooners were worthy of the burden, sweeping Tennessee 5-3 and 4-0 in the championship series of the Women’s College World Series.

Tennessee stood in line Tuesday night and watched the Sooners accept the 2013 national championship. The tears and the pride were mixed.

The Lady Vols won’t be burdened with a 2014 preseason team-to-beat tag. But they’re not going away, either.

“I see ourselves as being very good,’’ co-head coach Ralph Weekly said when asked about the future.

“We lose some great players, but we had six underclassmen on the field and a number-two ranked class coming in. We had some kids that didn’t get in the game tonight that are very good.’’

Indeed, Tennessee loses some great players. Six seniors played their final game Tuesday night in a disappointing 4-0 loss to the Sooners.

Two of them, All-Americans Lauren Gibson and Raven Chavanne, were invited back to Oklahoma City next week for USA national team tryouts. Gibson is a two-year Team USA veteran.

Pitcher Ivy Renfroe, outfielder Kat Dotson, versatile Melissa Brown and frequent pinch-runner Whitney Hammond all will be missed for different reasons.

But they collectively will be missed for winning. Winning a lot.

The senior class compiled a record of 202-53 and played in three WCWS.

“Obviously, we’re going to miss these seniors,’’ Weekly said. “They’re fantastic. But I think when you get to a certain level you’ve got to just be there every year.

“You don’t reload. You just keep going. You pick up the players to replace the players and try to keep going. Obviously, freshmen are never as good as seniors but I think we’ll have a very competitive team next year.’’

All-American shortstop Madison Shipman and pitcher Ellen Renfroe, who was heroic in NCAA tournament play, return.

They’ll be joined in the senior leadership cadre by veterans Melissa Davin and Tory Lewis.

“I think we’re going to have a great senior-led team,’’ Ellen Renfroe said. “The upcoming seniors, we’ve been to the World Series for the second time, so we know what it takes to get here and what it takes to win it all because we’ve played in a championship game.

“I think we’re gonna have a lot of teaching to do, but I think we’re ready for it and ready to get that done in the fall.’’

Hannah Akamine and Cheyanne Tarango were starters as sophomores. Rainey Gaffin and Lexi Overstreet got a worthy taste of action as freshmen with 38 and 22 starts, respectively.

Another freshman, Erin Gabriel, will be a key in 2014 as the Lady Vols look to replace Ivy Renfroe in the pitching rotation. Gabriel was 5-1 this year before suffering a torn labrum in her hip and undergoing season-ending surgery.

Freshmen Jennifer Burroughs, Anna Renfroe and Haley Tobler saw spot duty as role players.

“I know we’ve got some young girls who are really going to be really good,’’ Ellen Renfroe said.

“I think our entire freshman class, there are great athletes who have gone unrecognized because of our senior class.’’

In the moments after Oklahoma’s victory Tuesday night, co-head coaches Ralph and Karen Weekly gathered the Lady Vols in left field and reminded them of all they had accomplished.

They did, Ralph Weekly said, come very close to reaching their considerable potential.

“Yes, we did,’’ he said. “We played in a very tough conference and we had a lot of tough games. We finished point-27 (.027) out of the conference lead.

“We won the regional, we won the Super Regional and we won our way into the championship playoffs.

“This is a great team.’’

That would have won a national championship had it not run into an even greater team.

Get Copyright Permissions © 2013, Knoxville News Sentinel Co.

voloffaith writes:

Wish they could get it right on Erin Gabriel. She injured her hip during Auburn series. How do I know? Because I had said shoulder and I was corrected on it about a month or so ago. Next year will be difficult as both jawga and chomperettes were freshlady heavy on their rosters. Oh well that is why they play them.

vol98champ writes:

Except for one bad game, I was very impressed by Hannah's play. Let me be the first to proclaim her next year's star. Who knows, maybe she can be our hitting coach and shut up vts pie hole.

miatatom writes:

Thanks for a great year ladies! Can't wait for next year! Go Lady Vols!!!!!

arkyvol writes:

in response to vts1965:

I gotta agree. hitting has always been their Achilles heel. was in monica's day, was this year. I wasn't shocked that the land thieves won, but I was at the way Raven and Lauren wilted at the plate.

chattabluetick writes:

Okla was loaded with a couple of slappers and a slew of power hitters. Hats off to the Lady Vols for a great effort, but too many slappers and not enough power hitters. Reminds me of early 90's Atlanta Braves in World Series. The best pitching staff in the business but way too many games in 8th and 9th innings with 0 or 1 run on the board. You can't win championships expecting your pitchers to throw a shutout every time. Too much to expect from Maddux, Glavine, and Smoltz, and way too much to expect from Renfroe sisters or Monica Abbott. The Weekly's need to scour the country for power hitters.

vol98champ writes:

in response to arkyvol:

Let's see the facts. Michigan was no hit by Oklahoma. They need a hitting instructor. Florida got beat 9-2. they need a hitting instructor. Washington and NCST were shut out They need a hitting instructor. Oklahoma was shut out for 10 innings. They need a hitting instructor. Need I go on? Sure are a lot of great job openings. Wonder where vts1965 will wind up.

vol98champ writes:

in response to Ghost_Of_Neyland:

Do you not realize that I was poking fun at vts? I played FPS and know how hard it is to hit a 70+mph fast fall from less than 40 feet. Then you have to worry about a 65mph curve or slider that either looks like it is going to cut your knees off and catches the plate for a strike or looks like a strike and darn near hits you as you swing and miss. Then you get a 50mph change up that darn near makes you break your back as you try to stop your swing. Hitting a FPS is the hardest thing in sports.

vol98champ writes:

If you are from Jackson and know the Renfroe's, you should be madder than heck that neither was invited to the national team tryouts. I'll take Ellen over everybody except the gal with the curve/drop. I can't imagine trying to hit that thing. I'm sure Raven would try something different next time.

865fan writes:

in response to voloffaith:

The article is accurate about Erin Gabriel. She was 5-1 before her hip started hurting really badly and it was determined she had a torn labrum in her hip. This happened before the Auburn series. I talked to her mom at Auburn series and she said then that surgery could be in the future if it didn't get better soon. It didn't and surgery was done 5 weeks ago. Recovery is usually about 6 months. She will be good to go and a major contributor by next season. And no she is not redshirting as she pitched after the halfway point of the season.

oldster writes:

The LVs have more wins without a championship than any other team. The reason is simple. They cannot hit as well in the Series as they do in the regular season - even against pitchers of similar quality. The Weeklys need to figure out the problem and fix it, or get used to watching their talented and, often, pretty, young charges cry after falling short, again and again of their ultimate goal.

oldster writes:

in response to vts1965:

You have to score to win, even if your pitchers shut the other team out, or throw a perfect game for 13 innings. Ask Harvey Haddix.

oldster writes:

in response to vol98champ:

How many of these teams has the same thing recurring year after year after year? How many of them had the issues you mentioned against OU's number 2 pitcher? How many of them averaged as few runs per game during their time at the Series as the LVs? Believe what you will (and you will), but hopefully the Weeklys will not continue to also bury their heads in the sand and address the long time LV problem.

vol98champ writes:

OU's #2 pitcher had the lowest earned run average of any pitcher in the country, so I guess every team she pitched against needed a hitting coach. Also, our damper had to be in the tank in that game.

vol98champ writes:

in response to oldster:

Ever hear of a team called Texas? They had the great Cat Osterman and couldn't hit FPS. I believe they averaged the same runs/ game as the real UT.

SummittsCourt writes:

With the #2 class coming in next year and the young players who didn't play a whole lot this year because of the 6 seniors I agree with Coach Weekly that they will keep it going!

Can't wait until first pitch! Go Lady Vols!

voloffaith writes:

in response to 865fan:

You corrected me b4 as I stated. However , they say she had knee problem and said get it right. So you support them in their error I guess. Correct me twice or 300 times if it makes you happy. All I was doing was setting the record straight. But you are our inside man having spoken to her mom so we will defer all questions about her to you. So story is injury b4 aubie series and confirmed during.........oh well this story is over............

vol98champ writes:

in response to vts1965:

Is your real name Hamilton? You would probably fire the Weeklys and hire someone who wouldn't even get us into the SEC tourney. The Weeklys are certainly in the top 10 all time coaches at the University of Tennessee. What is it? Six of the last 9 WCWS have been represented by the Lady Vols. How many UT teams have finished in the top 8 in the nation that often?

oldster writes:

in response to vol98champ:

Since my daughter was attending UTAustin at the time Cat was there, I have heard of the team. However, that was ONE series. It is not a recurring theme. With the LVs it is a boring and frustrating refrain. Think about it. Why does an almost 500 hitter, who only struck out 2, 3 or 4 times in the regular season strike out that much, or more, in just one series game and 2 or 3 times that in the 5 games they played?

oldster writes:

in response to vol98champ:

Did VTS say, suggest, or even infer that the Weeklys should be fired? I certainly did not read that in what he said. He might well have inferred that they are not perfect, with which I would agree and point to the fact that with as great or greater pitching than their opponents they continue to fall short of the ultimate title. They are very good or would not be getting to the Series year after year and winning more games than any other team that has NOT won a title. Like their players, all coaches - not just the Weeklys - need to continually try to improve. If they do not recognize where the problem with their program lies, then they are not the coaches you and I - and probably VTS - think.

utvolfan1955 writes:

The Lady Vols need to recruit some sluggers. There is a place for both slap hitters and sluggers in womens softball. The Lady Vols have no real sluggers.

blaz2102 writes:

in response to chattabluetick:

I have to disagree with chattablue. We have plenty of power hitters. BUT you gotta let them hit away. Kat and Raven both are both slappers and power hitters certainly on display during the season. The decision to NOT let them hit away or change up the lineup was a decision coaches make. We have power on this team. If you really want to see it go to a practice and watch hitting. But you actually have to let them hit away. Who knows what would have worked.

Fall_Creek_Vols writes:

I will rest well tonight knowing we have SO MANY experts on this board. I guess a Senior class record of 202-53 just isn't enough for all you softball purists.

I'm getting more than a little tired of you expert clowns running down the Coaches Weekly on a near daily basis. They have produced the most successful program in school history and are getting no love and little appreciation. I guess nothing short of perfection will suffice. No, they weren't perfect and neither are you. However, they ARE highly successful unlike several of the opinion writers here, I'd wager.

Let's congratulate the team for their success and let them know we back them all the way. They know they fell short. They saw what it takes to dominate this game in the form of an excellent Oklahoma team that lost only four times all season. What they DON'T need is all this armchair quarterbacking from those who are clearly education well beyond their capacity.

philgreen5#410561 writes:

The fact they knocked Alabama out and beat Florida is enough to celebrate!

utvolfan1955 writes:

in response to philgreen5#410561:

The fact they knocked Alabama out and beat Florida is enough to celebrate!

Agree !

utvolfan1955 writes:

in response to vts1965:

Toddy, if you were anywhere near as good as you claim to have been in high school you would have gotten a college scholarship some where

madrigal writes:

Good job, ladies! Nothing to be ashamed of, hold your heads high! And as my roomate's voice teacher used to say back in the day, "Let's go that one over again!"

BIVOLAR_BEARE writes:

in response to philgreen5#410561:

The fact they knocked Alabama out and beat Florida is enough to celebrate!

So true, and RTRat, DC/ZZ have been awfully quiet the last few days..So nice.

MetroplexMojo writes:

There is no need for a hitting instructor. The Lady Vols were one of the highest scoring teams in the nation. I am a proponent of slap hitting. It is a great way to keep pressure on a defense in a multitude of ways. It is a much better technique than hitting the ball into the ground to get high bouncers (I am dating myself now). With that being said, moderation is the key and not trying to utilize it in all situations against all pitchers.

The philosophy of the Weeklys is to win via pitching, speed, defense, and OBP. It has been a very successful philosophy. The Weeklys know their personnel better than we do. Could there be tweaks to their overall philosophy? Sure but it is hard to argue with the results of their general philosophy.

orangecountyvols writes:

in response to utvolfan1955:

utVolfan1955

Exactly friend. That monumental 12 inning afair is history, along with the 4-0 defeat.

We may all agree with things we don't like or have opinions about what went wrong, but.......
to get on here daily, with the VERY SAME griping about the VERY SAME aspect of the game, with EVERY POST...........tells you volumns about the same griping individual.

It's so easy to coach from the living room and not having to be out there as all these girls, from every team did, giving their all for their teams.

Know what? We'll probably be into the 3rd or 4th game of the football season, and this kid will still be here, sporting the 10th or 12th new screen name, griping about how he knows more than any coach around, and telling us how special he was for his 'high school team,' and how he disagrees with Tennessee's coaching.

This Vol fan ( me) is now only curious about one thing. That is this.........we lose 6, so far have recruited 3. Will Karen and Ralph find more to fill out the roster, or settle for 15 players? They'll take care of the rest, not us.

oldster writes:

in response to Fall_Creek_Vols:

Where did you see anyone "running down" any of the LVs? You are overly sensitive. Just because we don't say "rah, rah" and only "rah, rah" does not mean that we are "running down" anyone. Suggestions, pointing out reasons why the goals that are set by the team are not being met, or, even, criticism, does NOT mean that the person(s) giving or making same have not, do not, and/or will not continue to enjoy and support the team.

In my instance, I believe that I make the comments I do because of my background as an athlete (though frankly, not at the level excellence as the LVs), and a coach. This background causes me to analyze what is being done and what is working and what is not and, trying to figure out how to improve both. I was never a cheerleader; therefore, it is difficult for me to think like those of you who were and are. I appreciate you, but evidently, the appreciation is strictly one sided.

Fall_Creek_Vols writes:

in response to vts1965:

Yes, I would. Any right-thinking orange-wearing Volunteer would.

However, when it comes to finding answers to any perceived shortcomings on this team, I'd bet the farm that the LAST place they'd look is this forum...as it should be.

Fall_Creek_Vols writes:

in response to oldster:

Re-read my post. I never accused anyone of running down the team. The coaches have been constantly in the cross-hairs for some, though.

I appreciate anyone's quality opinion and EVERYONE has a right to theirs...it's called free speech. I suspect this board is chock-full of people like us...former athletes...of varying degrees of success. As Vol fans, we want the best for the teams in orange and we want to offer our suggestions. I have no quarrel with that.

What frosts my pumpkin are those who consider themselves - in hindsight - to KNOW what we SHOULD have done. It's easy once the game is over.

BTW, I was never a cheerleader but as one of many who cheers for the Vols, aren't we all?

volboy81 writes:

I sure will miss this senior class, but look forward to next year and another great team. I know we're all disappointed we didnt win it all, but I guess 2nd isn't too bad...I think I will miss Ivy most of all.

GO LADY VOLS!!!

BIVOLAR_BEARE writes:

The Monica Abbott team under-achieved, this 2013 squad over-achieved..Great run and as always you made me proud to be from Tennessee..GBO!!

abnerPeabody writes:

in response to Ghost_Of_Neyland:

Holy coach Batman.We need to fire the weakleys and hire the Ghost.

abnerPeabody writes:

in response to oldster:

As you stated she was almost a 500 average batter. How did she do that with the awful coaching you refere to? Some people sure are ignorant. By the way, STOP lusting after young girls.Seems nearly every post you make about girl softball you have something to mention about their looks.

snowpeapod#263184 writes:

in response to Fall_Creek_Vols:

Amen to that!!! I don't think a lot of the people who post on this site are former athletes, but more than likely "athletic supporters". There are about three or four who constantly reply to each other. It would be better if they just changed e-mail addresses and not subject everyone else to their saber rattling BS.

in response to oldster:

I don't always agree with what you say, but you are civil and rational, and your points are nearly always worth considering. For sure, your views are a good deal more nuanced than a casual reader might notice. I too believe it is possible to fully support a team or a coach without having to assume that they are perfect in every way. Everybody has their good and bad qualities and days in roughly the same measure. Over time, the Weeklys have shown that they belong in the top echelon of college coaches, but not even they would say that they have no room left for improvement.

BIVOLAR_BEARE writes:

in response to Ghost_Of_Neyland:

No, Monica if rested should never be scored on. Also, the failure to utilize the safety squeeze cost the 07' team the title. This 2013 team had better hitters, but on their best day weren't in Monica's class as a pitcher..JAT.

kazoo writes:

This was a VERY GOOD team, and it could be a while before we have another that's as good--though the Weeklys are doing a great job of recruiting. I'm disappointed that we do not have a title yet, as we should have at least one--but no matter the sport, it always seems difficult for UT to get over the hump. But I loved this team, which absolutely can play with Oklahoma, though their left-handed pitchers were tough. That Monday loss was absolutely brutal--although knowing our luck, we could have won that one and the lost the next two, with an extra-inning loss in game three. We have been to 6 CWS in 9 years. That's an amazing accomplishment. Now we have to figure out how to win the d*mn thing.

vol_fan8 writes:

in response to vol98champ:

Take a few classes in softball 101. You're showing you don't know what you are talking about. USA softball can ask anybody they want to be their heating coach ... They always ask coach Ralph. Must mean that Ralph is pretty good. Or better than anything else that is out there. #2 competitive softball is not the gorilla (aka no skill fat boy) ball that comes to maryville every year. They call that home run ball bc the pitchers suck. Obviously by the number of hits each game. Fat boys can't run bases so they aim for the fence. Competitive softball is a pitchers game. That's what we saw in game 1. Now shut up about the hitting. If you want offense go watch PAC 10 football. We're in the SEC. We play defense.

TSNVol writes:

Maybe we can get a new head coach, one who knows how to coach a team in the heat of battle. They had NO leadership in the WCWS! Having players too shallow in the out field and with a runner at third late in the game (losing 3-0) had the in field back. A perfect ground ball to first scored a run because she was back behind the bag.

Those (2) items show me that both coaches have NO feel for coaching close games, period!

But I love the Vols. The ladies play the way their taught and do what they are told to do.

BIVOLAR_BEARE writes:

in response to Ghost_Of_Neyland:

Uhhh, don't care??

vol98champ writes:

in response to vol_fan8:

Did you not read all the drivel from vts about needing a hitting coach. I was making fun of his nonsense.

orangecountyvols writes:

Vols,

He's baaaacccck. Removed and now another new screen name ( June 6 ). Be on troll alert friends.

Now back as the "new hitting coach"

vol4life1983 writes:

in response to Ghost_Of_Neyland:

the slappers won game 1 for the sooners so it must have a purpose for more than getting the lead off on base. But I must admit after getting the power hitters out ivy should've came in to finish them off. And if the pop up hadn't been dropped then it might've ended different.

vol98champ writes:

in response to shiftb:

Hello one trick pony. What is the over and under until this new name is removed? I say at the most early next week.

utvolfan1955 writes:

in response to shiftb:

It looks like Toddy has reappeared

orangecountyvols writes:

in response to utvolfan1955:

It looks like Toddy has reappeared

utvolsfan1955

Exactly. Note: the kid troll is trying to be crafty. ( Staying away from the usual 'slap hitting' whining. )

He enjoys getting banned.....only good thing this kid does is slipping in with new screen names. That's his forte. Nothing else........

865fan writes:

in response to voloffaith:

voloffaith,
Really not sure what you read, but this article says she had surgery for a torn labrum in her hip. It said nothing about her knee. The article is accurate. Again I'm not sure what you read. Maybe they changed the article before I read it but I read it with accurate information.