Guard Jasmine Phillips not returning to Tennessee Lady Vols

(Saul Young/News Sentinel)

Photo by Saul Young, 2013 Knoxville News Sentinel

Tennessee's Jasmine Phillips drives to the basket while defended by Vanderbilt's Rayte'a Long at Thompson-Boling Arena on Sunday, February 17, 2013. Tennessee defeated Vanderbilt 83-64. (Saul Young/News Sentinel)

Tennessee’s bench will be shorter than initially expected for its next women’s basketball season.

Lady Vols coach Holly Warlick said Saturday night that reserve guard Jasmine Phillips has decided to transfer after one season at Tennessee. Warlick was speaking after hosting a reception at the East Tennessee History Center. The event was held in conjunction with the Women’s Basketball Hall of Fame induction ceremony.

“She wanted to go somewhere where she’d get the opportunity to play a little more,” Warlick said of Phillips. “I was very supportive.”

Warlick said that she didn’t know where the 5-foot-10 Phillips was headed. She has two years of eligibility left.

Phillips came to Tennessee from Louisburg (N.C.) College and played in just 12 games last season. She attempted 21 field goals and scored 23 total points, averaging 1.9 per game.

Phillips’ departure leaves Tennessee with 11 players for next season — the same number as this season.

Warlick said that UT’s three incoming freshmen — Mercedes Russell, Jordan Reynolds and Jannah Tucker — will be attending the second session of summer school, which begins next month. Tucker originally intended to attend both sessions but decided otherwise.

Regarding scheduling, Warlick said Tennessee still is scrambling to fill an opening in its nonconference schedule after Baylor opted not to continue its series with UT.

Get Copyright Permissions © 2013, Knoxville News Sentinel Co.

orangecountyvols writes:

Vol fans,

Wishing the best for Jasmine.

Now that Britney won't be with Baylor, the Lady Bears may cancel a series with more than just Tennessee.

fearthehound writes:

So now that Baylor doesn't have the man-child playing for them, they'd just as soon go back to playing a 'regional' no-body scedule, right? Good move. Their moment in the spotlight is over. Someone like Griner only comes around once every several years.

kazoo writes:

Let's find a /good/ guard to replace her.

richvol writes:

Baylor...what cowards.

Henley-Street-Bridge writes:

how does she rate getting jersey #1 while sitting on the bench? I don't think that number should be given out, particularly in football.

snowpeapod#263184 writes:

That news doesn't surprise me at all. With the incoming class and Andraya coming back from injury, she would get less playing time than last year. Also, the Baylor news is no shock either. Kim evidently doesn't like her chances against the Lady Vols this. I lost all respect for her when she only suspended Griner for one game after breaking another player's nose her freshman year. Heck, Pat did that when a player skipped a class. At any rate, best wishes for Jasmine, the first player recruited in Holly's tenure, thus the #1 jersey.

SummittsCourt writes:

I don't blame her for transferring to get more playing time. If I was going to college to play basketball or any sport and found myself on the bench most of the time I would do the same.

I can't say I lost any respect for the baylor coach because I never had any to begin with. UT played Baylor every year that Griner was at Baylor and now that UT has the next big time player coming in she bails on the series. No suprise at all. She is all classless.

proudveteran writes:

No surprise on Mulkey opting out to play Tennessee...she is a first class jerk anyway! Wish Jones the best, at another school she will play more. We now have another scholarship for another "choice" player to fill.

rusty_shackleford writes:

in response to richvol:

Baylor...what cowards.

"Sounds familiar" said the the UNC fans

manoffewwords writes:

UTC

volfan2002 writes:

A good decision for her she is way down the depth chart as we have a lot of perimeter players. We could really use another talented post player but I doubt that happening for next season.

BIVOLAR_BEARE writes:

in response to fearthehound:

Yeah, without Brittany manning the post Baylor will not be the same.

madrigal writes:

Wishing the best for Jasmine. I'm sure she wanted to play more and it's hard to ride the bench when you've been used to being out there. Some players do not adjust well to that role. She did have some issues with academics too, as I recall. I hope she will take what she's learned as a Lady Vol and use it well wherever she goes.

As for a non-conference opponent, how about Missouri State? It would be great to see Kellie Jolly back here for a game.

GOJO writes:

Louisburg (N.C.) College, Vols, & a school to be named later - - at least she gets exposure to different systems.

BIVOLAR_BEARE writes:

in response to madrigal:

I say Memphis, if it would be played in a neutral site like FedUp forum. West Tennesseans would like a chance to see the lady vols without driving 6 hrs East.

volfan2002 writes:

I guess Mulkey is still playing UConn have to wait and see her schedule. If it turns out she dropped all the top teams I guess we know what her agenda is and I feel even better that Louisville knocked her out of the tourney.

Volinflan writes:

Wasn't any surprise here. Some good ideas on the schedule. We'd love to see Kelli Jolly back for a game. Strength of schedule would dramatically drop though. Was this Baylor change sudden? I hadn't heard a bit about it!

CoverOrange writes:

in response to rusty_shackleford:

"Sounds familiar" said the the UNC fans

We didn't like it then, we don't like it now. We're not hypocrites, said the fans.

vol4life1983 writes:

in response to BIVOLAR_BEARE:

Yeah, without Brittany manning the post Baylor will not be the same.

It's sad that even after she is gone in women college basketball idiots like you still can't refrain yourselves from calling her names! I'm willing to bet that if she had played for UT you wouldn't have posted this comment.

vol4life1983 writes:

in response to madrigal:

We need a team that will make UT better and expose their weakness not just a throw in game

Mama_Also_Calls_Me_Precious writes:

I can totally understand her wanting to have more playing time, but other players like Sidney smallbone, who rarely got any playing time, stuck it out and for that I really respected her and besides the fact that when she did get to play, she gave her all. I've also met Sidney and she is a great friendly person as well. I kinda saw this coming with jasmine though, as she didn't seem that comfortable being a very small role player in hollys system. I can say that I'm beyond excited for this season to start !! I'm also excited that we have gotten off to a great 2014 recruting start with the signing or Alexis Middleton. Hopefully we can add a few more top players to the 2014 class.

maxvolfan#217855 writes:

Good luck to you in the future JP. Now about this Baylor situation. Its stinks. I wonder what the true reason in quitting the series is. Its like denying an opponent a rematch . But who needs them our schedule is loaded every year and we are about to start the Uconn series up soon. Put all personal feelings aside. We need this series to boost our recruiting, our exposure on tv, and the WCBB needs us now more than ever now that BG is gone.

SneakyPete writes:

in response to manoffewwords:

UTC

Nope...a extra year not playing does nothing for her game. She should go where she can play immediately.

SneakyPete writes:

Maybe you meant a revenge game. The problem is UTC will be better this year than last. And of course, you meant at The Summit.

maxvolfan#217855 writes:

Last years game with UTC was a fluke and the coaching staff not being prepared. This year we will beat them soundly.

maxvolfan#217855 writes:

With Jordan Reynolds coming in and a healthy Carter and Ariel JP saw where she stood. Im sure she will do well. My question is do Lady Vol fans feel like every player that donn the orange still a VFL? I do.

DRORANGELOVE writes:

reg_mza#219136 writes:

Take care Jasmine. I hope your UT experience was a pleasant one and we wish you well. Being the odd person out is hard, but hopefully you can find your footing elsewhere.

madrigal writes:

in response to vol4life1983:

What you call a "throw in" game may be what we can get at this late date. The "name" schools have pretty much all got their schedules set already. And I wouldn't crack too hard on MO State...they have a history (they used to be SW MO and had a player named Jackie Stiles) and they have Kellie. If they aren't that great this year, I'm betting they will be pretty good before long.

go_vols writes:

in response to maxvolfan#217855:

Couldn't have said it better myself. Baylor is a one hit wonder. Just imagine what we would've done had BG been on our team. Scarier, what UCONN would've done.

We never ran from competition unlike some. Like you, I myself can't wait for that UCONN series to start up again and it will. Moreover, it'll be good for women basketball and us. I've said it several times, I don't like Geno, but he's a great coach and I respect their team. Hopefully we'll meet them in the NCAA championship because I think we're the two best team this upcoming season.

I can't wait for the REAL TITANS of women basketball to lace them up again and play each other on a regular basis. Pretenders need not apply. This is the stage for winners of multiple championship contenders.

In fact, both Geno & Coach Holly joked that the season should be canceled and our Lady Vols & UCONN play for the championship. Then they decided maybe we should invite 2 more teams. Funny stuff.

ladyvolsfan789 writes:

in response to volfan2002:

I doubt Baylor's going to drop the UConn game this year since it's Baylor's turn to play at home. The athletic department probably wouldn't be too happy with Mulkey if she decided to drop what would be a big ticket selling game for them. If she drops it next year then it becomes all the more obvious that she doesn't want to play the top competition without a once in a lifetime pair of players like Griner and Simms.

go_vols writes:

in response to ladyvolsfan789:

It's obvious why she canceled our game. The UCONN game is tricky. Although a home game, Mulkey is aware UCONN is going to be extremely difficult to beat. Therefore, she might just cancel that game regardless of monetary value.

That's the difference between programs that compete yearly for national championships regardless of the make up of the team, and those that get lucky every once in a while. Mulkey is proof of the latter. Thanks Louisville for proving this point.

vol4life1983 writes:

in response to maxvolfan#217855:

I agree it is time to start playn UCONN again. I don't necessarily agree with all your reasoning but I do agree it would make us a better team for sure and maybe recruiting a little bit. With other universities stepping up with their facilities recruiting for UT want change that much.

vol4life1983 writes:

in response to DRORANGELOVE:

You are such an idiot, she is someone's child. You wouldn't want anyone speaking about your child with such hostility So why do it to someone else's? And I can think of several players from UT that like women as well including some of the fans in the stands.

vol4life1983 writes:

in response to madrigal:

I am aware of that and who doesn't know Ms. Stiles. She couldn't recruit top players at NC State so what make you think she will do it at MO State. I don't doubt that she will do a great job with the resources she has but not to a level where UT needs to play them at that point in the season when they played Baylor.

SoCalVolsFan writes:

in response to fearthehound:

Fearthehound...

Sorry to read your comments about Brittney. You show little class and lots of ignorance. Leave the name calling to the 6 year olds, will ya? Your homophobia is inexcusable.

madrigal writes:

in response to vol4life1983:

Stop cracking on Kellie. Recruiting in the ACC is a whole different ball game. It's even different from recruiting in the SEC, especially in the Carolinas where UNC and Duke definitely have the upper hand. In case you hadn't noticed, Kay Yow's teams didn't do so great in recent years either. I wasn't really happy when Kellie went to NC State because who wants to follow a deceased legend? It's like chasing a ghost. Think about how some so-called fans around here talk about Holly, and she'd been at Pat's side for years and Pat's still around. Now multiply that by a few and you'll see what Kellie put up with *in addition* to the recruiting difficulty that goes with being "the other" NC school. She'll do fine at MO State, though it may take a few years to really develop her program.

As for the hole in the schedule, at this late date UT may not have much choice, which was my original point.

Mama_Also_Calls_Me_Precious writes:

in response to SneakyPete:

Utc may be better but they certainly lost a great coach in Wes Moore. He def put Utc womens basketball on the map. Great coach..he should do great things for nc state

vol4life1983 writes:

in response to madrigal:

You mistake me taking cracks with telling the truth. We are talking about UT not a subpar program. They may not get a top 10 team to fill that void but I highly doubt that they can't find a better team Mo State. You keep trying to throw these facts out like I know nothing about college basketball but to be young I actually know a lot. I love Kellie next to Shannon and Michele She's one of my all time favorite point guards for UT. And most of Duke and UNC top players are not even the top players out Of North Carolina, they get better players because of the facilities. That being said even at Mo State she might get players for her style of play but they will never be up to the standard of playing UT at that point in the season. I guarantee UT will pull some strings and bring in better competition for that void

Volinflan writes:

in response to vol4life1983:

I tend to agree with you. There are a lot of schools wanting to break into the "upper echelon". Playing UT, UCONN, Baylor, Notre Dame, Stanford etc on National TV is a good step in the right direction. Look for "cinderellas" from last years schedule for a starting point. A lot of good schools will, probably, be willing to do some schedule shuffling for a chance to play UT.

Of course, we are assuming that Holly wants to play a tough team. We don't know the completed schedule for next year, but can we find out what is already worked out? When was the Baylor game scheduled?

SoddyVol writes:

......Baylor opted not to continue its series with UT. There have been a few ugly comments about Griner and the Baylor coach. One thing we might agree on-- Neither of the two is much of a nice person. They can be downright rude and will hurt you if you so much as look at them for more than a few seconds. Don't dare cross them!
As for Jasmine Phillips, I began to think early on that she should move for her own benefit. It was obvious she needed more improvement time than the team could afford to give.

vol4life1983 writes:

in response to Volinflan:

They played on the 18 of December and probably much want be said until they release the schedule around sometime in late August I think.

vol4life1983 writes:

in response to SoddyVol:

To suggest that Britney is a threat to anyone anymore than any other player is ridiculous. We all can be pushed to a breaking point and to hold one incident over the head of an 18yr old at the time is crazy. As much as she got hit and pushed including by UT players she carried herself honorably for the most part if you asked me.

butch31 writes:

in response to richvol:

Baylor...what cowards.

Kim Milkey is just shaking in her boots at another loss to UT...they're rebuilding at Baylor and Milkey needs W's LOL...such a loser!

cdtnladyvols931#663910 writes:

in response to SummittsCourt:

I couldn't agree more!! She never did have any class....