Quarterback Riley Ferguson's plan to be on campus thwarted

Lee likely to be lone signee not to qualify

Riley Ferguson

Riley Ferguson

Remember when freshmen football players arrived a day or two before August camp?

Today, most programs want their new players on campus as early as possible, and with nearly two months left before practice, almost every member of Tennessee’s 2013 signing class is enrolled, going to class and participating in workouts.

The ones who aren’t here are racing to catch up.

The only academic casualty in the 2013 class is running back Jabo Lee, who coach Butch Jones said was unlikely to qualify.

The other three players who were not officially enrolled at the start of the summer session are on track to do so, Jones said.

Quarterback Riley Ferguson’s plan to be on campus with his teammates on May 30, the first day of classes at UT, was thwarted only by the university’s early calendar.

Jones said the early start for UT’s summer session, combined with a late graduation in some school districts, made it challenging for some players.

But Ferguson, who was on campus on Monday, has been frequently making the four-hour drive to Knoxville from his

home in suburban Charlotte.

Jones said Kendall Vickers, a late addition to the class from Haverlock, N.C., was in a similar situation. Vickers, a longtime South Carolina commitment who switched to UT after the Gamecocks filled up their class, is still expected to be fully qualified and ready for class when the second summer session begins on July 8.

Receiver Ryan Jenkins had said for several months that he might not be enrolled for the first summer session. Jenkins has one class to finish, Jones said, but there should be no obstacle to his enrollment later this summer.

The loss of Lee wasn’t unexpected, although it still stings because of Tennessee’s lack of depth at running back. Lee was originally on the recruiting radar of many top-tier programs, but he fell to East Carolina, in part because of concerns about his academics. When other running back options fell through just before National Signing Day, Tennessee extended a late offer and Lee chose the Vols over ECU.

UT is likely to help Lee find a place in a junior college and could choose to recruit him again in two years.

As for the rest of the 2013 class, five players enrolled in January and participated in spring practice. Fourteen more arrived in time to start class on May 30.

Among the group of 14, two are junior college prospects (receiver Johnathan Johnson and tight end Woody Quinn) and six play on offensive or defensive line. Receiver MarQuez North, quarterback Josh Dobbs and defensive lineman Jason Carr are the highest-rated prospects of the new group. North is perhaps the likeliest of that group to play immediately.

Get Copyright Permissions © 2013, Knoxville News Sentinel Co.

claiborneh writes:

Josh Dobbs will be starting QB by season's end.

lguy (Inactive) writes:

Nice journalism by Evan. Keep it up, KNS.

Henley-Street-Bridge writes:

Agree that was a nice piece..

gc_scvol writes:

A really informative article that one could tell had some thought and research involved. Evan is hands down the best writer on the KNS staff. Keep it up Evan. To the subject at hand: I think a lot more emphasis is placed on recruiting than is necessary. Sure, you want to recruit good athletes, but what's right for some, might not be right for others. I trust Coach Butch Jones to know a lot more about this program than I, for obvious reasons. The man spends every waking hour concerned about the Volunteer football program and how to make it better. I am a fan, and only a fan. If I were a football coach with his credentials, then I wouold feel as though I could criticize him, and tell him how to run his program. But, I'm not, so I won't. I will believe in Coach Jones until I have reason to do otherwise. Coach Jones seems to be headed in the right direction with this program and I believe he will be successful. How many games will we win this year? I don't know, and neither does anybody else. But, I will be patient and see how this thing turns out. I will ignore those who post here only to slam the program or try to grab a little attention they so desperately desire. "SUGGEST REMOVAL" works for me. Don't let the trolls and negavols get to you. Lets be real FANS and not self appointed saviors. GBO...ALL VOL...ALL THE TIME..

mocsandvolsfan writes:

Sounds great.

Brewii writes:

Instead of going to a JC and having to be there for two years, why not go to a prep school for a year, improve your grades and be ready to sign a year later? Is there rules dictating which way you have to go in these situations?

Noogaorange writes:

in response to gc_scvol:

Boom! Great Post! GBO VFL 17

FLORIDAGATORHATER writes:

in response to claiborneh:

Josh Dobbs will be starting QB by season's end.

He hasn't played one down of college football nor practiced with a college football team, yet you are so sure he will start because he has good youtube highlights. Check out both Worley and Peterman's high school highlights. They are equally impressive. Dobbs will not major in engineering if he wants to play football. Plenty of good competition at QB.

MilitaryBrat writes:

Great article - but title is misleading. It seems like it is implying that he isn't going to be on campus at all. I doubt it is the title Evan actually put on the article in the first place.

KNS loves to change the title of the articles (and usually changes it on the same articles many times).

I am going to read any article about Tennessee players. Especially if it is an article from Woodberry. It doesn't have to have a dramatic headline.

vol98champ writes:

in response to MilitaryBrat:

My thoughts exactly. I bet someone at KNS who didn't even read the article wrote the title. This is nit picking, but Vickers is from Havelock, N.C.

tomkats3242 writes:

Now you know why the KNS hired John Adams. Sorry newspaper and sorrier writer. Wish both could be banned from UT campus.

UTQB70 writes:

Gary Lundy was the best!

gc_scvol writes:

in response to shiftb:

I don't usually respond to trolls, but i will make this exception. You missed my point entirely because of one of two things: 1) You don't have the intellect to comprehend, or 2) You just want attention. Unfortunately, I don't have time to share either one with you. Good Bye troll hello golf clubs.

eVOLved writes:

I agree about the title being confusing. I read the "Lee" in the subtitle as a nickname for "Riley" (2nd syllable of "Riley").

jmaples54 writes:

in response to tomkats3242:

your sorry comment about a sorry writer (who had nothing to do with this article) simply makes everyone who reads your sorry comment sorry that you bother to read the sorry newspaper and make your sorry comments. please go back to your sorry life and stop making everyone sorry that you have such a negative attitude. if this hurts your feelings, well, i'm sorry.

antonio14313 writes:

no worries, i'm sure that coach will get a RB to fill his spot.

go vols.

t

antonio14313 writes:

in response to Brewii:

good question. my guess is that he wouldn't be able to play football at a prep school, but if he could, it'd be a lesser brand of football than a junior college, and he might not develope as well. and, knowing the crooks at the NCAA, there're probably rules against it anyway. but, that's just my guess...

t

antonio14313 writes:

in response to eVOLved:

i did too! great article, bad title. :/

they'll probably change it before day's end...

t

antonio14313 writes:

in response to antonio14313:

i did too! great article, bad title. :/

they'll probably change it before day's end...

t

or, actually, great article, good title (that probably should have been the subtitile), bad subtitle (only because it should probably be the title, therefore making it a good title). ok, enough overanalyzing! lol...

t

trubleoj#657755 writes:

Evan, Vickers is from HAVELOCK, NC. It is the home of Cherry Point Marine Corp Air Station.

murrayvol writes:

in response to antonio14313:

t

Time to throw in the towel antonio.:{)

Mama_Also_Calls_Me_Precious writes:

in response to FLORIDAGATORHATER:

Ya he hasn't played a down of college football, but he is coach jones first recruit at qb that will fit well into his spread system. to be honest with you, Worley didnt impress much in the spring game and jones has said the qb position is still wide open. could be Worley starts, but don't count dobbs out right yet, especially if Worley struggles early on..

HallowedHill writes:

It's a new day for Tennessee football. I can't wait to see what Jones can do. Go Vols!

grandtad#1402265 writes:

in response to MilitaryBrat:

I agree, very good article but title is fuzzy!