Tennessee Vols look to youth

Tennessee head coach Butch Jones takes to the field with director of football operations Brad Pendergrass, right, before the Orange and White game at Neyland Stadium Saturday, April 20, 2013. (ADAM BRIMER/NEWS SENTINEL)

Photo by Adam Brimer

KNOXVILLE — The "Help Wanted" sign is lit outside of a few positional meeting rooms inside Tennessee's football complex.

Well, not really.

The Volunteers do need some help at some positions, though, and they hope some players in the incoming freshman class that arrived on campus for the start of summer classes late last month can make some immediate contributions.

At cornerback, where Tennessee left spring practice with vacancies behind likely starters Justin Coleman and junior college transfer Riyahd Jones, Malik Foreman hopes to fill that void.

Continue reading at the Chattanooga Times Free Press.

allntl1#565211 writes:

Chattanooga paper is the go too for the most informative coverage. Good article. Corner is a tough spot to be a freshman.

SavTnVol writes:

in response to allntl1#565211:

Gotta agree with you on this. The most, and best, info seems to come out of the Chattanooga bunch.

tomatosoup writes:

Yes…this is what I’ve been talking about all along. Instead of recruiting players that are afraid to play certain positions, Coach Jones has decided to recruit players that are eager to step up and fill a roll….something we desperately need this upcoming season. It’s hard to tell just from this article but I’m thinking that Coach Jones is more than just a coach to these young men. In fact, I’d say that he’s playing more of a fatherly roll which is something much needed to an incoming freshman. Folks, try to go back a few years and remember how intimidating it was your first week away from home (whether it be college, work, or just running away). To have no friends and just sit in your dorm room all alone was a complete debockle. Anyway, I too wanted to leave school and head back home to the comforts of my own bedroom, kitchen, etc. I know it’s way to early to see what kind of talent pool Coach Jones has on the field but as far as a human being, I give Coach Jones nothing but props. Heck, I wonder if Coach Jones would take me in as a son? Gooooooo Voooooools!

claiborneh writes:

in response to tomatosoup:

No offense, but all I assume you know about Coach Jones is his talking points, and the media articles. He good be the next Bear Bryant for all I know, but it's just to early. I'm cheering on the team, but I just don't like to turn cartwheels yet. It's just to early to evaluate much. Heck, people were making your kind of statements about Dooley at this stage.

tomatosoup writes:

in response to shiftb:

Boy.....I bet you’re a blast to watch a football game with!!!!!Geeeeezzzzzzeeeeeee!!!!

tomatosoup writes:

in response to shiftb:

I think I can see where you are coming from? I'm just trying to stay as positive as possible and am "hoping" Coach Jones is leading the program in the right direction....FINALLY! Go Vols!!!

orangecountyvols writes:

in response to tomatosoup:

Tomato soup,

Remember friend..........you're dealing with the kid who is hung up more on himself than anything, or anyone else. Simply, an immature little braggart who knows more about the game/games than anyone. ( Also, the all time leader in being banned on GoVolsXtra. )

Good to see positive people like you sir, keep up the good work and eating Campbell's soup !

SevenT writes:

dragon18 writes:

in response to shiftb:

You're kind of a weird guy actually? How do you get fame off of a freaking message board? And touting your elite athlete status when no one can verify that really doesn't count. My guess is you're a legend in your own mind.

usafvol writes:

in response to dragon18:

I'd say you're dead on!

tomatosoup writes:

in response to dragon18:

GerryOP writes:

in response to shiftb:

Why do you keep on making this stuff up? Your claim is absolutely false and everyone knows that.

Really kid, come back when you grow up.

spvol writes:

in response to dragon18:

And someone needs to tell the "elite athlete" that the cup should be worn underneath the uniform.

GerryOP writes:

in response to dragon18:

His "fame" is based on the fact that he holds the record for the number of times of being kicked off of a message board. And he keeps on making up new screen names and he keeps on coming back.

ReeseHallRelic writes:

in response to dragon18:

Quite possibly the funniest episode is when he used one of his prior incarnations to offer his unique brand of advice to the Renfroe sisters: "throw strikes". Not only did he seem to believe that this was truly insightful but, when Ellen pitched her gem in Game 1 of the WCWS finals, he was seemingly convinced that her success was due to the fact that she read his post.

Talk about delusional!

tovolny writes:

I hope Pat Brown moves to Knoxville after John Adams retires or gets fired. A UT graduate working for the local press...is this a novel idea, or WHAT (?).

jandjhome#228397 writes:

Look at Josh Dobbs WebSite and click on his highlights. He makes you think of Toney Robinson. I predict he will be starting before the season is over.

GerryOP writes:

in response to shiftb:

Kid, pay attention. We were talking about your claim that this will be the LEAST talented UT team to take the field in lifetime. Unless you are only two or three years old, that is just nonsense.

Really kid, come back when you grow up ... and stick to the topic of discussion.

oldster writes:

in response to tomatosoup:

Since my first time away from my family was when I went to basic training at the age of 17 during Viet Nam, I cannot identify with the feelings you visit upon these youngsters. I saw it as an adventure and with excitement. I suggest to you that many, if not most of these young men, see their experience in that way, not with fear. Some get home sick, I am sure, but they do not need a daddy - unless they are really emotionally immature (e.g Bryce Brown). They need a leader, disciplinarian, and advisor. Gee, I just described Phil Fulmer.

oldster writes:

in response to tomatosoup:

Yes, the truth can be painful at times. You know what they say, "Reality is a b***h."

oldster writes:

in response to notfunanymore:

5-7, maybe 6-6 and, if the Vols get every break, 7-5. If the Vols do worse than this, Jones is in trouble. If they do 7-5 or better, he will be a football god around here.

utvolfan1955 writes:

in response to shiftb:

yeah, you are an elite athlete in your own mind bwahahahaha

Olddogsrule writes:

in response to shiftb:

No game changers???!!!!

What about the entire Offensive Line?
What about Jr. Tiny Richardson? A Pre-season All-American
What about Jr. Marcus Jackson?
What about Sr. James Stone?
What about Sr. Zach Fulton?
What about Sr. Ju'Wuan James?

What about a new well coached 4-3 Defense?

What about Sr. Jacques Smith?
What about Jr. Jordan Williams?
What about Sr. Maurice Couch?
What about Sr. Mount McCullers?
Pre-season All-American

What about a defensive backfield filled with experience if not speed?
What about Sr. A.J. Johnson? Still another Pre-season All American
What about Sr. Eric Gordon?
What about Jr. Justin Coleman?
What about Sr. Byron Moore?
What about Sr. Brent Brewer?
What about Fr. Jalen Reeves-Maybin
What about So. Brian Randolph

What about having a healthy Rajon Neal?
What about Marlin Lane returning for an experienced 1-2 punch?
What about Jr. Justin Worley, Fr. Nathan Peterman, and Fr. Josh Dobbs?
What about So. Alton "Pig" Howard and a raft of other receivers looking to make their mark?
What about a new to UT coaching regime with with a winning record everywhere they've been?
What about the whole dang Volunteer team?!
No difference makers my foot!
Each and every one of them can be a difference maker.