2014 power forward Philip Cofer commits to Vols

Michael Cofer during his senior year at the University of Tennessee in 1982.

Michael Cofer during his senior year at the University of Tennessee in 1982.

The Cofers are keeping it in Tennessee.

Philip Cofer, son of former Vol football player Michael Cofer, announced via Twitter his verbal commitment to play basketball for the Vols on Tuesday.

Cofer is a 6-foot-8, 205-pound power forward from Whitewater High School in Fayetteville, Ga. He is rated as a three-star prospect by both 247Sports and Rivals and ranked No. 127 overall in the Class of 2014 by 247 and No. 141 by Rivals.

ESPN, which ranks Cofer as the 56th best prospect in his class, calls him “a very athletic power forward that is active and aggressive.”

According to Rivals, Cofer held scholarship offers from Alabama, Auburn, Cincinnati, Georgia, Georgia Tech, Miami and Ole Miss.

Michael Cofer is a former football star at Rule High School and at UT from 1979-82. He enjoyed a 10-year NFL career, but has spent the last six years battling amyloidosis, a rare and incurable disease in which proteins become insoluble and disrupt normal function in the kidneys and other organs.

The verbal commitment from Cofer is UT’s second for the 2014 class. On May 6, Jordan Cornish selected the Vols over scholarship offers from Oklahoma, Purdue, VCU, Houston, UTEP and Wake Forest. The 6-foot-4 shooting guard from Brother Martin High School in New Orleans is rated as a three star recruit by 247Sports and ranked as the 128th prospect overall in the class of 2014 and the No. 32 shooting guard.

Brendan F. Quinn covers Tennessee men's basketball. Follow him at BFQuinn.

Get Copyright Permissions © 2013, Knoxville News Sentinel Co.

BIVOLAR_BEARE writes:

Great news, I wonder if he's got some fb in him as well..GBO!!

volfan2002 writes:

Great news this is shaping up to be a very good class Cofer is a great player.

theoldbear writes:

His father is a Vol, and I think he has an uncle who played football at UT as well.

This is the kind of player we need: not just an outstanding athlete but one with Tennessee pride!

xanga writes:

meanwhile the rest of the SEC is recruiting top 5 classes

SherryC writes:

Great news!

DC82_Vol writes:

CCM likes the 3 stars. Must be Missouri habits. Although, he has landed a couple 5 star players. I will be curious to see if he can develop players. He doesn't seem interested in the one and dones.

murrayvol writes:

in response to xanga:

meanwhile the rest of the SEC is recruiting top 5 classes

Give it up for The Fount of Flatulence. pffffft!

voloffaith writes:

This will help Cofer family with not needing to concern themselves with junior's school expenses as much. Allow them to focus on daddy Mike's needs in his battle.

tennrich1 writes:

in response to xanga:

meanwhile the rest of the SEC is recruiting top 5 classes

You shoo bout that.....you shoo bout that!!!

mocsandvolsfan writes:

Welcome Mr. Cofer. We've had some great "3stars" in the past that did very well here.

Hmm 6' 8" power forward. sounds familiar.lol

Keep 'em comin' Martin I ain't afraid. Coach 'em up. Go Vols.

I wonder if he'd play tight end or somethin' too?
2 sports is not unheard.

SummittsCourt writes:

in response to xanga:

meanwhile the rest of the SEC is recruiting top 5 classes

Dream on loser! Your fear is evident!

brod writes:

glad to see martin is keeping the georgia connection going. i like the fact that he is keeping recruiting local. point production will be critical with the 2014 class. maymon and stokes will both be gone, along with mcrae.

VOLFORLIFE writes:

in response to xanga:

meanwhile the rest of the SEC is recruiting top 5 classes

Hey genius, I may not be the brightest knife in the bulb drawer, but I may need you to explain this one to me. There are fourteen teams in the SEC, right? Please explain to me how ALL FOURTEEN TEAMS can recruit a class that's ranked in the top 5. I'll be waiting.

Meanwhile, congratulations and welcome aboard, young Mr. Cofer. I know your arrival is two years away, but I look forward to seeing you wearing the Big Orange!

My prayers continue to be with Mike Cofer and the entire family. Don't know much about the disease, but it's debilitating. Must be really hard for a man like Mr. Cofer, who obviously never envisioned his life playing out in such a horrible manner. And tough on the rest of the family as well. Come to Tennessee and make your Dad proud!

GO VOLS!!!
JUGHEAD

mocsandvolsfan writes:

in response to VOLFORLIFE:

GO VOLS!!!
JUGHEAD

14 way tie? or maybe tied somehwere in the top 5?
just sayin' it's possible. But he's still a troll.

mocsandvolsfan writes:

hmmm the more I think about it? the odds would have to be well somebody help here!?. I hated math.

1vavolfan writes:

Congrats on another 3 star player. This guy is to help replace Maymon and Stokes and weighs 205. Way to aim high Martin.

miketn6 writes:

Something tells me young Mr. Cofer is still growing, and he has great genes. Good pick-up.

in response to brod:

Yeah, Cornish and Cofer need to come in ready to contribute. Love to see a couple of REAL big men--"real" in the sense of being game-ready at a high level--come in also. IMHO, Martin would be well-advised to more or less reserve two or three of his remaining offers for four-stars and above. If he does the best coaching job of his life next year with the most talented team he has ever had, he will look a LOT better to the top-drawer talent than he does right now. This is not a slam against Martin. I suspect he makes an excellent impression with guys when he meets them and their families face to face. The problem right now is that he cannot present the unmistakable look of a big-time winner, even if that is where he thinks he is heading. In other words, the big names may still not be returning his phone calls, so he has no opportunity to work his sincere, long-view pitch to them.

MikeInTN writes:

Did KY, NC or Duke recruit this kid??

voloffaith writes:

in response to MikeInTN:

Did KY, NC or Duke recruit this kid??

Did you read the article? Yes you did. Now you want to continue being a ____ everytime you post mista tygur fann...... ^6" 8" 245.....Through growing? Anyway tell Coach Pastner hi and we'll see them later even though he doesn't want to.

voloffaith writes:

My bad..205lbs not 245........

DwayneElizondoMountainDewHerbertCamacho writes:

in response to xanga:

meanwhile the rest of the SEC is recruiting top 5 classes

Yep...pretty much written off men's basketball at this point. I like Martin, as a person.

brod writes:

in response to johnlg00:

lack of big men is an age old complaint for tennessee fans. it's like this...if they are a highly recruited big man, they aren't coming to tennessee unless they are from tennessee. there are just not that many big men out there. cj black, charles hathaway, wayne chism, marcus haislip, all from inside the state. the only out of state big men that we are going to get are players like brian williams and brandon crump, who aren't fully developed. it's possible that they could get one from georgia if unc and kentucky aren't after him.

tarter_sauce writes:

in response to theoldbear:

yep , i played against his younger brother Joe in High school . i will always remember him because he poked me in the eye one Friday night during a game .

Olddogsrule writes:

in response to mocsandvolsfan:

Well ... somebody can

I---------------------------------------------I
I Ah won't post if'n ah hafta cipher I
I---------------------------------------------I

... here's yer sign..

Olddogsrule writes:

On topic ....

Welcome young Mr. Cofer! What a treat for Vol fans who love your father! Do well young man!

tarter_sauce writes:

in response to tarter_sauce:

i was referring to his dads brother .

mocsandvolsfan writes:

in response to Olddogsrule:

Well ... somebody can

I---------------------------------------------I
I Ah won't post if'n ah hafta cipher I
I---------------------------------------------I

... here's yer sign..

Idiot! How's that for yer sign!lol

If you'd read my earlier comments you'd get a little bit. Sorry to post over yer head!hehe

mocsandvolsfan writes:

I WAS on topic btw. At least with the person I was rebutting.

NEXT time use the scroll. just a hint.
I know old people don't know how to scroll.

I AM joking with you. I could care less whether you scroll or not. But you came at me first.arrrg

Now to get back on TOPIC as you say,

This guy's possibly a good recruit. Just like a 5* is possibly a good recruit. I would've liked a 4 or 5* better for my own comforts sake. But we just don't know anything till they put on the orange colors.

bobbyal52#1417564 writes:

great start on class of 2014,go coach Zo!

mocsandvolsfan writes:

in response to brod:

They're out there and UT has as good a shot as most teams. Don't be so pessimistic.hehe

We sometimes overlook the true bigs for the more athletic players. Maymon and Stokes ar not true bigs in a traditional sense. They're more the bruiser type with some athletic abilites.lol

UNC has had it's own problems as did Kentucky last year. Remember we did beat them by 30 darn points. I like our mix for now and trust Martin to get some quality players here. But that said I agree with JohnOO about the need for some sure fire recruits when it's time. I'll have to be patient too. but like I stated earlier it's 3* mixed with an occasional 4 that's done well for us in our rare tourney runs.(Pearl's and the guy's before him)

sly_stone99#434111 writes:

This is a solid pickup and not a marginal player which CCM knows he can ill afford to do at this point in his career at UT. Still needs to covet that point guard thats above average that is skill set to break down defenses and involves those around him. Lyle or Mitchell are key to this class. Stay tune.

ball1523 writes:

in response to brod:

Maymon and mcrae will be gone but where is stokes going? he s got a long way to go to be at the level to leave early unless he wants to end up like hopson.

in response to sly_stone99#434111:

Please tell me more about Lyle and Mitchell. I'm not up on the top HS players these days. I have no idea who CCM is considering, and vice-versa, or what level players they are. I don't insist on a whole class of 4- and 5-stars, I just hope ALL Vol recruits going forward are truly ready to contribute right away, however they are rated.

in response to ball1523:

Stokes doesn't have to improve all that much to be NBA-ready. He needs to be more decisive and efficient in his post offense, he needs a reliable mid-range jumper, he needs a FT% better than 70, and he needs to play better position defense. That is not too much for a guy with good athleticism to do in one summer if he is willing to put in enough of the right kind of work. If he doesn't, I agree that he would be better off to come back until he CAN do those things. Otherwise, his NBA career will be either brief or nonexistent.

in response to ball1523:

PS: Forgot about Maymon. He needs to resemble a saner and more consistent Metta World Peace, aka, Ron Artest. If Maymon comes out as a legitimate 3-pt threat--though hopefully doesn't absolutely fall in love with it!--and can cover NBA 2- and 3-men in the perimeter defense, he could be a solid NBA player for years to come. If that doesn't happen, he might better open an account with Pimsleur or Rosetta Stone.

mocsandvolsfan writes:

in response to johnlg00:

That is funny!

But I believe that Maymon will be of use to us first. Even if he plays a little bit under par he'll help free Stokes and maybe the new guy(that we know nothing). I wish we had a little more bench underneath. We'll miss Hall believe it or not. We can't afford any you know. I_____s!

Stokes at least has shown glimpses of a jumper or a set shot facing the basket. I don't recall too many long range makes. Actually I don't recall any. Maymon or Stokes. You've got to hope that they both are working on some things instead of the Rocky Top League.

bk5uk1 writes:

With McBee gone, looks like Cofer can fill our guy-with-ABA-hair slot.