Jarnell Stokes named to U19 Team USA

Tennessee forward Jarnell Stokes talks to the media after it was announced that he will be staying with the men's basketball team for his junior year during a press conference in Thompson-Boling Arena Saturday, April 27, 2013. (ADAM BRIMER/NEWS SENTINEL)

Photo by Adam Brimer

Tennessee’s Jarnell Stokes is going back to work for Team USA.

Stokes was named Tuesday to Team USA’s 12-man squad for the 2013 FIBA U19 World Championships that begin later this month in Prague, Czech Republic.

Stokes, who will be a junior for the Vols in 2013-14, survived two cuts that pared 26 candidates down to the final squad in tryouts at the U.S. Olympic Training Center in Colorado Springs.

Last summer the 6-foot-8, 250-pound Stokes played well for the USA team that won gold in the FIBA U18 America championships in Brazil. That team and this one are coached by Billy Donovan of Florida.

“Getting down to 12 is the real hard part,’’ said Donovan, “because in a lot of respects, we easily could have kept 14 or 15.’’

Stokes is one of five veterans from last year’s U18 team who were selected. The other SEC survivor from the tryout camp is Florida guard Michael Frazier.

Among the big men selected are Montrezl Harrell of Louisville, Jerami Grant of Syracuse and Mike Tobey of Virginia.

The team will train two days in Colorado Springs, then move base to Washington, D.C. June 20-22 before leaving for Prague.

The championships run June 27-July 7.

Get Copyright Permissions © 2013, Knoxville News Sentinel Co.

VolzsFan writes:

He has not been 250 lbs since the 8th grade.

SummittsCourt writes:

Congrats, I know this will be valuable experience for him.

brod writes:

needs to work on his shot.

bUTch_please writes:

You know, kinda have to give Coach Donovan his props. Granted, Stokes was a major contributor to his U18 team last year, but that was no lock for him to be on the team this year. Playing with three other good big men will help Jarnell prepare for this years' SEC play. Might bring him out of his offensive shell or help his on floor assertiveness. Class act by Coach Donovan, of course, he's the only belly crawler I've ever been able to say that about.

Zo VOLS!

Ayres_Hall writes:

in response to bUTch_please:

Zo VOLS!

Maybe Donovan wanted Stokes because he is the best big man?

Maybe the other big men will get better by playing against Stokes?

Donovan is not coaching the team in order to be liked.

8inarow writes:

Donovan, like ALL Gators is first class.

eVOLved writes:

J. Stokes is at 19 year old junior? I turned 19 my freshman year of college.

FanNotSheep writes:

Should be a good experience for Stokes. Too bad Coach K isn't coaching him, then he would really learn a lot.

Congrats to Jarnell! I agree with the poster above who said it should help his game practicing against those other guys. My biggest fear for all the guys playing on national teams and the RTL is the big injury. A guy in my area--a 6'9" 10th grader who started as a 9th grader on a state champion team and was recently named the #1 recruit in the class of 2015--tore three knee ligaments while playing on the USA Under-16 team.

John_10065 writes:

in response to eVOLved:

J. Stokes is at 19 year old junior? I turned 19 my freshman year of college.

I turned 19 the summer after my freshman year. Stokes graduated early and played his freshman yaer at age 17.

Couchdummy writes:

If U19 means under 19, then I am confused. Jarnell was born on January 7, 1994, which means he is 19 now? If the Big 10 is comprised of 12 teams, and Jarnell is under 19, then I need to go back to take the new math being taught in school.

Olddogsrule writes:

in response to Couchdummy:

You mean 1+2= 3 .. but if you think it should be 2, or even 4, that's ok too?

underthehill writes:

Donavan knows the value of rebounding..Stokes can do it..when he gets a mean streak in him..and he will..he will be another Wes Unseld..

Olddogsrule writes:

I don't want to think Jarnel's b-day is out of bounds and some USA in the Team USA organization flubbed up & let him in.

That said ... Congrats to Jarnel! Steel sharpens steel and Jarnel will come away a better athlete from this experience. Good for him and good for the Volunteers.

MetroplexMojo writes:

Donovan realizes that if you can't beat them, join them.

john316 writes:

Keep in mind that for many sports, the governing body typically establishes a fixed cut-off date (that does not float) for determining the age for age group sports. For example, it is not uncommon for a team to have an 8yr old playing in U8 soccer.

HazardKYVol writes:

in response to Couchdummy:

The cutoff date for age is December 31st of the previous year. If his 19th birthday was January 7, 2013, he would have been 18 on December 31, 2012.

mocsandvolsfan writes:

Stay healthy Stokes.

in response to Couchdummy:

I think players on this team can't turn 19 before the first of the current year. So Jarnell is not only the most experienced player on this team, he is also likely the OLDEST guy in that whole championship series. I hope that he kicks much international butt with this team and that he comes back not only with a gold medal but also ready to bring it to everybody else on the schedule this year!

in response to HazardKYVol:

I should have known somebody else would know this and post it before I finished scrolling down. Didn't mean to step on your lead!

HazardKYVol writes: