Bruce Pearl steps back into coaching for BMaze Celebrity Game

Former UT coach heads team in BMaze Celebrity Game

Wade Payne, Special to the News Sentinel
Former Tennessee men’s basketball coach Bruce Pearl, right,  reacts to a play with his former assistant coach Tony Jones during the BMaze Celebrity Basketball game at Hardin Valley Academy on Saturdau.

Photo by Wade Payne, © 2013 The Knoxville News Sentinel

Wade Payne, Special to the News Sentinel Former Tennessee men’s basketball coach Bruce Pearl, right, reacts to a play with his former assistant coach Tony Jones during the BMaze Celebrity Basketball game at Hardin Valley Academy on Saturdau.

Who needs Kevin Durant?

Star power was aplenty Saturday afternoon at the Hardin Valley Academy gym in the BMaze Celebrity Game organized by Bobby Maze — even without Durant, an NBA All-Star for the Oklahoma City Thunder who was originally supposed to participate but couldn’t because of an obligation to Nike.

For starters, former Tennessee men’s basketball coach Bruce Pearl was back on the sideline coaching.

It was Pearl’s first stint on the bench since being fired by Tennessee after the 2010-11 season and being hit with a three-year show-cause penalty by the NCAA in August of 2011.

All those troubles were behind Pearl for the BMaze game, which honored Jamar Board, Maze’s cousin who died Dec. 29, 2012, in their hometown of Washington, D.C., at age 28.

“First of all, Jamar was a young man that was around our campus a lot, and he kept Bobby straight,” Pearl said. “He was a good advisor and a good friend, so it was a tough loss from that standpoint.”

There was a standing-room-only, sellout crowd of 2,600 fans (400 standing) in the steamy HVA gym. Big Brothers Big Sisters of East Tennessee also benefitted from the proceeds.

“I asked Bobby, ‘Why Big Brothers Big Sisters, Why did you choose that particular charity?’ ” Pearl, Maze’s coach at UT said, “and (Maze) just remembered the fact that when he was at UT, the Big Brothers and Big Sisters came over a couple of times a year, and that’s kind of why he chose that as the charity. I think it will do a lot of good tonight. It’s a good turnout.”

Pearl’s assistant coach for the Blue team was Tony Jones, his former UT assistant who got a one-year, show-cause penalty from the NCAA.

Their counterparts on the Red bench: Lady Vols basketball coach Holly Warlick and one of her assistants, Dean Lockwood.

Warlick seemed surprised before the game when told she was coaching against Pearl.

“Is Bruce coaching?” Warlick responded.

“Oh, piece of cake, he just sweats more than me.”

Neither seemed to do too much sweating or coaching.

Pearl’s Blue team won the game, 143-138.

Surprised? Pearl might have been.

“I already told my guys in the locker room we’re down 15 going against Holly Warlick, I’ll tell you that right now,” Pearl said before the game. “But my guys at Tennessee had to overcome my coaching for many, many years, and we did OK.”

Pearl coached UT to six consecutive NCAA tournament appearances — including an Elite Eight berth in 2010.

His show cause ends Aug. 23, 2014, meaning Pearl can return to college coaching at that time.

For now, Pearl is vice president of marketing for H.T. Hackney, a Knoxville-based wholesale grocery company — it’s a job Pearl says he loves — and also works as a basketball commentator for ESPN.

“I’ve got to see if I could be really good at that (commentating),” Pearl said. “That’s my question. They like what I did, but I’ve got to get better at that, and if I could continue to grow on that side, then maybe that could be my career, those two things there, as opposed to get back into coaching. We’ll see.”

For now, Pearl plans to stick with his current jobs — not coaching.

“Right now (coaching isn’t) in my heart,” Pearl said. “Right now I am very happy doing what I am doing, and I feel that’s the direction (God) wants to me to go, but we always stay ready when the opportunity presents itself.”

Dave Link is a freelance contributor.

Get Copyright Permissions © 2013, Knoxville News Sentinel Co.

Witch_Doctors writes:

Witch Doctor say such a great coach and great Vol coach..truly a Greek Tragedy that played out before our eyes. Witch Doctor say Bruce is still and will be a Tennessee legend and the Moses as Cuonzo hopefully the Aaron. Witch Doctor say 100% Go Cuonzo and Vols!
Bones never lie

TommyJack writes:

agree with the witchee

1vavolfan writes:

Its tough not to see CBP coaching UT anymore. It will be tougher when he is coaching somewhere else and UT has totally fallen off the college basketball radar. UT may make a run at the tournament this year, but after that CCM's 2 and 3 star guys take over and it is back into the abyss.

Witch_Doctors writes:

in response to 1vavolfan:

Witch Doctor say as screwed up as UT AD dept got..Witch Doctor guess you had 30 years in as the Director of Team morale development. Witch Doctor say jeez have a cookie.
Bones never lie.

Witch_Doctors writes:

in response to Witch_Doctors:

Bones never lie.

Witch Doctor forgot "Lol. at end..as Witch Doctors had about 15 and feel pretty good..course Magic Herb could be having side effects with cookies....Witch Doctor say ....nice. lol
Bones never lie.

eduardo writes:

Makes you long for the good ole days when our coach was putting our team in the tourney. I mean it was a foregone conclusion we were in. Not that way now! sigh!

RememberWhen writes:

BP and TJ need to sign long term contracts with BMaze as this is the only coaching they will do above high school for many years to come. He had 3 assistants who can't even get an interview in D1 and he thinks he's getting back in? #pompousarse

SevenT writes:

in response to Witch_Doctors:

Bones never lie

SevenT say a great coach does not cheat, lie and get banned by the NCAA and get his school on probation....every win under sweaty slimy BP's watch should be vacated and the Vol fan should be smart enough to shun the loser and kick him out of town. Just like Kentucky shunned Eddie Sutton.

Just the truth

rdubs37#333555 writes:

Now...I'll start this by saying...this is America and part of the American dream is 2nd and even 3rd chances when ones makes a mistake. However...I would like to know when will KNS stop giving all this publicity to Pearl. He had this city in the palm of his hand...and in the end...showed his true color by lying over something so small...I question his intelligence. He did what he was supposed to do by wearing the paint, standing in the student center begging for students to attend games, signed autographs, kissed baby's, flirted whenever possible, etc... He doesn’t deserve the articles and attention this town continues to want to throw his way. If he wasn't so narcissistic...he would stay out of the spotlight, turn down interviews that have anything to do with UT Basketball...and let this great example of a man...Coach Martin, keep building this program...the right way. If your struggling with finding articles KNS...there are plenty more great stories of high school athletes in this area that could be written. But we keep feeding the ego of a man that walked out on his family, a liar, and the biggest egomaniac UT has ever hired. He left his loyal assistants hanging in the balance...to the point they may never have another opportunity to rebound. But...hey...they probably would if KNS was drooling over them every time they did something to get a little media attention. Bruce Pearl aint coming back to UT. If UT goes 0-30 next year...Dave Hart is way too smart to get back involved with this guy. How many people in the basketball arena have laughed at this guy? Everyone!!! And you could see the disgust on some of the coaches that had to debate with him this past NCAA tourney. He needs to fade away in the sunset...and check his ego at the door.

Grady writes:

What the NCAA did to CBP was wrong, as many of their decisions are. Hope our school has the courage to bring him back so our Men's BB program can compete again.

manoffewwords writes:

in response to Witch_Doctors:

Bones never lie

ABsolutly AGREE 100%

hikerdude writes:

I miss Bruce. His brand of basketball was fun and exciting. On the other hand, Cuonzo's brand is boring and guaranteed to produce a 20-10 season and a first round loss in the NIT.

Witch_Doctors writes:

in response to SevenT:

Just the truth

Witch Doctor say even if Bruce never wins another NCAA game in the city of Knoxville he is still one of the most loved people in Knoxville and always will be. Witch Doctor say he lied about BBQ...Witch Doctor has lied to Witch Doctor wife about not eating BBQ before..lol
Bones never lie.

BIVOLAR_BEARE writes:

in response to SevenT:

Just the truth

Uhhh, every coach at UK has cheated (except maybe Tubby Smith)..You're one of those guys with a good view of your own duodenum.

dvols writes:

Memphis!

rbwtn writes:

whoa late 2014 Pearl will be available...good luck this C Martin.

rbwtn writes:

Whoa Pearl available late 2014 good luck this year C Martin

ORboy writes:

How about someone giving Kudos to Bobby Maze for the success of this exhibition? Hopefully he raised a good amount for the organizations.

BIVOLAR_BEARE writes:

Here's the deal: Cuonzo takes UT to the dance or he's finished as the HC after year 3.

mocsandvolsfan writes:

in response to BIVOLAR_BEARE:

yeh possible

However we will go to the dance and 20 + games will keep him here most likely. Ya gotta root for a guy that follows trouble and cleans it up. Pearl left in trouble whether we thought he should get fired or not. As for as the coaching goes he had a darn good record here. But UT seems to get rid of those people.lol We've had other great coaches with good records. Well actually we've had some bad coaches here with good records! Most of this is just media hype and gossip. Of course that's the reason we post I guess.

mocsandvolsfan writes:

BTW good job Maze. AND I don't blame you for using a former coach that you played for in this situation. It sounded like fun although I wasn't there.

mocsandvolsfan writes:

in response to Witch_Doctors:

Bones never lie.

If I remember correctly Pearl beat the Kentucky "slime" a lot. You might say he "slimed" them.

SevenT writes:

in response to rdubs37#333555:

Good Post

It is pretty basic UT Fan does not care if you cheat steal lie or steal as long as you WIN WIN WIN. That is why they love Pearl.

Just read these posts from UT Fans, they speak volumes

Just Saying

Ironcity writes:

in response to SevenT:

Good Post

Just read these posts from UT Fans, they speak volumes

Just Saying

Reality check here every coach lies and cheats. The level is the only thing debatable. Your coach has been tied to many scandals and cheating but so has every other UK coach to walk the sidelines. Yes Pearl got duped and it would have turned out better had the AD done his job when this first came up. I loved Pearl but he back himself and UT into a corner and he pays for that mistake every day. Other coaches hated him because he made their jobs more difficult and all coaches hate that.

BIVOLAR_BEARE writes:

in response to mocsandvolsfan:

yeh possible

I'm still on the fence about CCM, I like the fact that he took the job not knowing what challenges were in store. However, he seems unable to call time outs (or just too stubborn) when momentum has been seized by the other team. He also seems lost in the moment during crucial points in the game, and that translates into our team looking bewildered with last second possessions etc.

mocsandvolsfan writes:

in response to BIVOLAR_BEARE:

Really I agree but I just don't think those things warrant firing necessarily. Or at least talking of such on a blog.lol I've questioned several things I've seen in game. But I try to remember it's a little easier for us on tv and radio to see things in hindsight. But you didn't see Pearl have a lot of problems with timeouts and inbounds plays on defense nor on offense. Pearl was very charismatic and we just haven't seen that in Martin. It's really ok to compare but I'll always for my part side with the current coaches.
except when I don't.hehe

BIVOLAR_BEARE writes:

in response to mocsandvolsfan:

except when I don't.hehe

Touche', not trying to take the light off of Pearl&Maze, they did a great thing and should be commended.

mocsandvolsfan writes:

in response to SevenT:

Good Post

Just read these posts from UT Fans, they speak volumes

Just Saying

Speaking of lying!? "basic UT fan"? Do you even know what's on the minds of "basic UT fans"? I didn't think so.

I'd say most "basic UT fans" were angered by Pearl's lies. But a little understanding and sympathy sometimes is in order for all of God's lovely children. INCLUDING the basic lying and cheating Kentucky fans!hehe

RememberWhen writes:

in response to Grady:

LMAO!!! We now know that "Grady" is BP's daddy!! What the NCAA did was wrong??? Seriously???? Sorry moron but there is NO defending what he did.

RememberWhen writes:

in response to BIVOLAR_BEARE:

perhaps...but they're obviously smarter than Pearl because they didn't get caught and they didn't lie when the evidence was handed to them.

SevenT writes:

in response to Ironcity:

I have no idea if every coach lies and cheats, and I seriously doubt if you do either.

I do suspect you are right about other coaches hading Pearl. But I suspect it has to do with the Deon Thomas recruiting scandal that Pearl instigated. After the Deon Thomas scandal Pearl couldn't get a Division 1 job so he landed at the lower ranks and Tennessee threw the dice and hired a known lying rat and guess what the dice came up snake eyes for Tennessee.

DalTexVol writes:

in response to SevenT:

Good Post

Just read these posts from UT Fans, they speak volumes

Just Saying

I find your comments very ironic. You are either obtuse or hypocritical. The Cats have had 4 major NCAA violations in basketball compared to UT's single violation under Pearl. They then go out and hire a coach who had 38 wins vacated by the NCAA at Memphis for another major violation at that school.

The truth is that if Pearl had not panicked and lied about a stupid BBQ he would still be at UT now. That's on him. As for which school has more integrity (and there is not a lot of integrity in college sports) I will judge by the facts above.

murrayvol writes:

in response to SevenT:

Just the truth

Adolph Rupp did all that and more.....and he was a racist to boot. Was he not a "great" coach?

And furthermore, Kentucky didn't "shun" Eddie Sutton. Former UK President David Roselle and C.M. Newton did.

BIVOLAR_BEARE writes:

in response to RememberWhen:

Pearl was his own worst enemy and he lost his job over it. I say quit maligning the man..Have you ever heard of double jeopardy??

lemme_axya_this writes:

in response to murrayvol:

If Calipari were coaching anywhere else, these trespassers from ky would be calling him what he is.

murrayvol writes:

in response to BIVOLAR_BEARE:

Couldn't agree more. We hear so much about players having a high "basketball IQ". The same can be said of coaches. I can't define it but I can recognize a coach who has it. Pearl obviously had it. Still not sure about CCM.

McMinnVol writes:

As a guy who began following UT sports when I became a student there in 1979, my six favorite years of UT basketball are the Bruce Pearl years. I am sure the Ernie and Bernie days were just as exciting, but in my mind - UT basketball has never compared to the excitement before or after Bruce was our coach. I would love to see him coaching us again, but know it will likely never happend. I don't really care what anyone else thinks - I just like Bruce and wish him well. GO VOLS!

baldingalum writes:

Throughout these posts I see too much of the following...

1. Witch Doctor. Don't get me wrong I think your shtick is fun and often agree with you but you're popping up far too often (less is more).

2. Pearl stories from KNS. This was a great event - focus on the charity not the former coach. In the past two years we've all been served a dozen too many Pearl stories. Kiffin stories are a close second for over coverage.

3. Pearl apologists. Look, the guy was a great coach and was unbelievably charismatic. But multiple posts limit his transgressions to just bbq. There was a lot more than that. There was the big lie to the NCAA, the cover up, the infraction in Virginia, and more than anything there was his hubris. That's what did him in. I wish him well but he's Saturday's paper. Coach Martin is our guy. We all need to support him.

Witch_Doctors writes:

in response to baldingalum:

Throughout these posts I see too much of the following...

Witch Doctor say thanks, Witch Doctor say only read the ones you want and ignore the ones you dont want to read! lol.
Bones never lie.

BIVOLAR_BEARE writes:

in response to Witch_Doctors:

Bones never lie.

Good point, WD..It seems the guy went a long way to say nothing. I might add, glad to see you back on this site again. I would never lie about that.

rdubs37#333555 writes:

in response to SevenT:

Good Post

Just read these posts from UT Fans, they speak volumes

Just Saying

Just so we're clear...I'm a VFL!!! And a person that has needed 2nd and 3rd chances in life. I'm just saying the media attention this guy gets...after really pulling the biggest jack*** move in the history of UT basketball...is simply rediculous. If you think the coaching fraternity has forgotten his "snitching ways" from the '80's...you need to hit rewind and try thinking again.

underthehill writes:

in response to rdubs37#333555:

Nonsense..bet on this junk and you'll be eating out of garbage dumps...Pearl will be back in coaching if he so choses..how long was Petrino out of a job..and how many nutcases said no one would hire him..we're talking business..

Witch_Doctors writes:

in response to BIVOLAR_BEARE:

Witch Doctor wife teach Witch Doctor to become a master at ignore! lol. Witch Doctor aay thanks BEARE! 60 some days away till kick off!
Bones never lie.

mongobfairchild writes:

A cookout followed post game at Bruce's home....what a joke he is along with the Vol fans who continue to make excuses for the lying, snitching, cheater!

mocsandvolsfan writes:

in response to Witch_Doctors:

Bones never lie.

Mocs say U and Bi-Beers say way too much. especially in tandem. I'm a little jealous if you wanna know the truth.hehe
mocs never lie much.

mocsandvolsfan writes:

in response to mongobfairchild:

I'm not sure I read every post. But I just don't remember ever seeing many posts (if any) excusing BP. I've seen quite a bit of forgiveness. I think there is a little bit of difference. But I may have to look that up.

However PEARL'S GONE!! Well almost anyhow. Sorta like Fulmer but not quite. Both seem to love the area although except the campus(UT's) I never saw the attraction of Knoxville.

bobbyal52#1417564 writes:

good job,Bobby. You are making a difference!That team had a lot of heart and talent!!!

mongobfairchild writes:

in response to mocsandvolsfan:

Read more...and not just the comments with this article.

Witch_Doctors writes:

in response to mocsandvolsfan:

mocs never lie much.

Witch Doctor say moc can play in our reindeer games! lol
Bones never lie.

OwensboroVol writes:

Let me clarify what I am about to write by admitting upfront that I am a Bruce Pearl Man and will be until I pass. So, if Dave Hart has any intelligence whatsoever, He will immediately fire Coach Martin, and go fall on his knees in front of Bruce Pearl and beg him to return as the Tennessee Head Coach. Upon Bruce's acceptance of the job, He should immediately call the NCAA and tell them that if they cause any problems that the University of Tennessee will fight them in Court and every other way possible. He then should call the NIT people and inform them that an invitation to their tournament will no longer be required that Tennessee will be in the NCAA Tournament from now on.