Vols commit Wharton's hardest sell on UT might be teammate

(Jae S. Lee / The Tennessean)

Vic Wharton, right, and RaShaan Gaulden pose for a photograph at Independence High School in Thompson's Station, Tenn., Tuesday, June 18, 2013. (Jae S. Lee / The Tennessean)

NASHVILLE — As good of a football player as Vic Wharton III has been over the past three seasons, the versatile Independence standout also has exhibited some solid recruiting abilities since becoming the first member of the 2014 class to commit to Tennessee under Butch Jones.

“All of us are doing a lot of recruiting,” Wharton said of the 17 members of his recruiting class. “I took the lead by being the first commit, and then Todd Kelly (Knoxville Webb defensive back) came along and started recruiting with me. We’re just trying to win a national championship before we leave.”

The Vols’ class is ranked third by Rivals.com and fifth by 247sports.com.

The nephew of former Tennessee point guard Brandon Wharton has organized Twitter campaigns and made personal contact with recruits to convey the importance becoming a Volunteer.

Continue reading at The Tennessean

voloffaith writes:

Following his relative in the assist department.....

StoneJackBaller writes:

I follow Wharton on twitter and he is a master recruiter. Recruits love him. I hope he peforms as well on the field.

VolzsFan writes:

4-8

tnvol4ever writes:

Got a feeling Wharton will get out of the program what he is obviously going to put into it. Great kid and a once great program is on its way back. Thanks for your efforts young man! Keep up the good work.

HooRay_Vol writes:

Who was the DA reporter that couldn't get the audio portion on the video to where you could hear it? I expected more from the Tennessean...

Snapshot writes:

in response to VolzsFan:

4-8

Is that the grades you had to repeat in elementary school?

dirty_don writes:

in response to VolzsFan:

4-8

your IQ?

usafvol writes:

in response to VolzsFan:

4-8

You're just a pathetic little man with girly features i'll wager..

voloffaith writes:

in response to Snapshot:

Is that the grades you had to repeat in elementary school?

Actually that is the non-VOL fan's height in his riser shoes from 'Bellbottom Blues' days..... or that is might be how many screen names he has and isn't sure of the exact number.

On topic, thanks young master Wharton for your enthusiastic support for The VOLS!!!

antonio14313 writes:

keep 'em comin!

GO VOLS!

t

tarter_sauce writes:

in response to KnoxVegas88:

nice post , and the funny thing about the dweeb you were implying to is it aint really a Florida fan but a bitter Fulmerite who cant get over it . Dude probably has a personalized monogrammed Randy Sanders pillow case with the words "best friends forever" near the spot where he lays his ugly mug .

voloffaith writes:

in response to 9willbesofine:

lil gator happy birthday #9.........a troll actually agreeing that my response empowers him and the lack thereof drives him "crazy".

licknpromise777#651578 writes:

in response to KnoxVegas88:

He's such a snide;negative a## that most can't help it..I choose Ignore or suggest removal instead because in the end all he does is hijack any good kns articles

JSmith525 writes:

in response to 9willbesofine:

Never dreamed that my tax dollars would ever go toward supporting a damb Thug from FU. To bad we don't have capital punishment here in Mass. Would love to see him get the needle once convicted.

pingkr62 writes:

in response to voloffaith:

If you want to drive him, and his troll buddy's crazy, Ignore them. G.B.O.!!!

utvolfan1955 writes:

in response to VolzsFan:

4-8

The Gators will do slightly better than 4-8

orangecountyvols writes:

Vols,

Recruiting news keeps getting better.

As was previously mentioned, and I know it's hard to do sometimes, but..........we know who the trolls are. They are idiots as we well know, but just know who they are. Then, DO NOT READ their garbage. Scroll on down to Vol fans we know and who can be counted on.

This drives these trolls crazy, having to reply to each other, knowing we won't waste our time with them.

Go Vols, and let's listen out for more great recruiting news. "It's football time" is around the corner !

sameolvolalum writes:

in response to orangecountyvols:

Vols,

Recruiting news keeps getting better.

I agree 100%. Since the KNS ignores all this drivel in order to display a higher number of posts, maybe the next best move is for those of us with a little bit more sense to persuade our less informed fellow UT fans to scroll past these sociopaths.......and just maybe by the time those troll responders have earned their GEDs they'll have figured this out. Wake up troll baiters and go Vols! 'Just 64 days 'til FOOTBALL TIME IN TENNESSEE!

Snapshot writes:

in response to KnoxVegas88:

Yeah I know, you are right. Sometimes I just can't help but give them a little shot back. "Suggest removal" is probably the best option if enough people would use it every time one of them posts.

jdcdjc writes:

in response to VolzsFan:

4-8

If you don't have anything positive to add, why not just stay the heck off this site.

Orange_Beach writes:

in response to jdcdjc:

Heck, 4-8 is being very realistic. 5-7 would be putting too much pressure on cBJ in his first season.

utvolfan1955 writes:

in response to Orange_Beach:

doosh

rbwtn writes:

Sometimes I have to shake my head when I hear these kids mostly 17 to 18 years old thinking they are a superstar. No problems with looking around but don't let Pride get in your way. MOST DON'T MAKE THE TEAM!

murrayvol writes:

Way too many of these kids are not "grounded" by family and friends. From about the 5th grade on they've got a posse of enablers whispering in their ear about "getting to the league".

Most of them believe this is their only shot at fame and fortune.....and, sadly, it might be.

murrayvol writes:

in response to Snapshot:

Don't be too hard on em' Snapper. For many (if not most) of them it's a job.

Once again I must confess my shameful ignorance of recruiting by asking, what is Vic Wharton's claim to fame, besides being Brandon Wharton's nephew? I knew Brandon slightly while he was at UT and I always thought he was a good guy and a fine athlete. So any member of that gene pool probably has a leg up in becoming an elite athlete. I love his apparent enthusiasm and efforts at peer recruiting. That said, what has he done? What are his vitals, stats, and honors? What does Jones plan to do with him? Thanks in advance to all for any info you care to share.

utvolfan1955 writes:

in response to johnlg00:

mountainbrook writes:

in response to 9willbesofine:

Between 4 and 8 Gators arrested this season for sure.