Bobby Majors, Paul Naumoff, Jackie Walker on College Football Hall of Fame ballot

Three former Tennessee football players are on the ballot for the College Football Hall of Fame.

Former UT players Bobby Majors, Paul Naumoff and Jackie Walker are among the 77 players and five coaches up for the honor announced Tuesday. More than 12,000 National Football Foundation members received ballots this week.

The 2013 class will be announced on May 7.

Majors was unanimous first-team All-America in 1971 as a defensive back, leading the Vols to wins in the Sugar Bowl and the Liberty Bowl before his career was over.

Naumoff was an integral member of the 1966 squad, earning most valuable player honors from the team in addition to his All-America certification at linebacker.

Walker set NCAA record for career interceptions returned for a touchdown by a linebacker and was an All-American in 1970 and 1971.

This is Walker’s first time on the ballot. Former UT wide receiver Willie Gault was dropped from the ballot.

Get Copyright Permissions © 2013, Knoxville News Sentinel Co.

TommyJack writes:

in response to Johnny_Aint_No_Del_Shofner:

Everybody has a right to.....etc, but to say Bobby Majors should never be in HOF is just frikken stupid.

orangecountyvols writes:

Vols,

I have this comment to make about the idiot............Wilted Flowers. You know, this idiot who, as long as he lives, throws in some comment about Dave Hart and/or Derek Dooley. They were not even part of this conversation, but the troll, with all his sick obsession, will always toss in some sick remarks about them.

Anyway, my comment is this. Back in 2006, I was at the game where Tennessee had as its legends of the game, James "little man " Stewart and Richmond Flowers. At the Volunteer Village, Little Man and Richmond sat, greeting people and signing autographs. I have the autographed handout which was given to the fans, still on my refrigerator. This was the 12:30 Kentucky game.
Anyway, had I known in 2006 what we know now, I would have asked Richmond "what in the heck is wrong with your pathetic brother????????" It would have been interesting to hear the answer.

VolFanInTheBoro (Inactive) writes:

in response to orangecountyvols:

Vols,

Orangecounty
If he is actually Richmond's little brother I can understand how being 2nd fiddle to Richmond all his life would make him turn out the way he has. I'm not certain he is Jeff Flowers but at any rate he is one Dooley/Hart obsessed individual

tovolny writes:

Bobby Majors...?...of course he should be in the CFBHOF. He played some offense and had good quarterback skills, but was known for his punting, his fake punts that turned into long runs, his punt returns, his interceptions, his tackling, and his general good and smart playing. HE IS IN MY HALL-of-FAME. He is one of the players I remember the most from that era. I remember the Penn State game that, although he played defense, he was selected by the TV announcers as the offensive player of the game. His interceptions, fake punts and punt returns lit up the scoreboard. PUT HIM IN.

BruisedOrange writes:

in response to tovolny:

I was going to make a joke about how appropriate to have Bobby Majors and "Johnny Walker" [sic] being on the same ballot... but I'm not sure everyone remembers which one of the four Majors Bobby was.

Tovolny, your memory may be playing an episode of "Mighty Morphing Majors" on you.

Bobby was the one who played safety, had 10 interceptions one season, and was a punt & kick returner extraordinaire. Don't think he ever punted or played QB like his oldest brother, Johnny.

Whether true or not, the legendary stories of Bobby's alcohol-fueled competitiveness off the field include racing someone to the top of the library steps... while on crutches and wearing a cast! Seems like that one didn't end well... or maybe my memory's morphing things too.

HighPlainsVol writes:

Bobby Majors for sure. Amazing versitility. Punter, DB, and kick returner. His performance against PA State in 71' should live in Vol folklore forever. Jackie Walker was an amazing LB despite his small size. I felt he could have been an outstanding safety.

Ayres_Hall writes:

To all the old white men with comments above: please get past the past. Move on. Dickey is no longer the coach nor the AD. Eisenhower is no longer the President. Elvis is dead.

Why continue to hate Majors, Fulmer, Hamilton, or Dooley? Hate Kiffin, that's okay.

orangecountyvols writes:

in response to Johnny_Aint_No_Del_Shofner:

Troll,

Real Vols are saying this to you.........

you made your bed, now lie in it.

richvol writes:

I watched evry one of these Vols entire careers and they were all great all-americans and very deserving of the honor.

The idiot that said Bobby doesn't belong knows nothing about football. Every time Bobby touched the ball he was likely to take it to the endzone. He scared opposing teams to death. A great,great player.

orangecountyvols writes:

in response to HighPlainsVol:

High plains,

You said it friend. I'll never forget that Penn State game, Bobby was the ABC player of the game, something like 195 yards in return yardage. My friend and I were in that wild group who stormed the field after the Vols knocked off Penn State 31-11. There were so many people around the cameras that ABC said "forget it, we can't get to Majors."
I remember Lydell Mitchell scoring at the end of the game. We were standing at the endzone fence and could have touched Lydell when he ran up to the fence in the north endzone. He had scored in just about every game in his career and just got in under the wire to keep the streak going. What a backfield they had, along with Mitchell, they also had Franco Harris and John Capelletti.

That Tennessee team had an awesome secondary. Conrad Graham, David Allen, Majors, and Tim Priest. Led the nation in interceptions. That was a December 71' game and Penn State returned in 1972 for the opener, ( first night game in Tennessee history. ) 21-0 at the half......and wound up, 28-21 Vols.

exlineman writes:

in response to Johnny_Aint_No_Del_Shofner:

Brett Roberts, I see you are back with another useless post, You are so stupid that you don't seem to realize your hatred comes out through your same old verbage on every post that you post. You really have some issues with the majors family to the point, it is working on you mentally. You really need some help with all this hatred built up in your doofus brain, that is if you have a brain. I can go back and review every one of your post and they all sound very similar. Fulmer is gone, get over it, you are not in a position to discredit anything about the big Orange. I beleive you have nightmares every night over Dooley another tale sign as to who you really are. Get with the program or go to peabody's sight and spew your lack of intelligence with franklin.

orangecountyvols writes:

exlineman,

You are 100 % correct friend.

As I said to Wilted Flowers, " he has made his bed now he has to lie in it "

Thumper72 writes:

in response to Johnny_Aint_No_Del_Shofner:

I was actually at the 66 Gator Bowl at the opposite end zone when Naumoff filled the gap to meet Csonka and could hear the impact from my seat. I was also at UT during the B. Majors and Walker era. I would take Bobby over Jackie but both were great players. All three represent the best of how defense should be played.

utvolfan1955 writes:

in response to Johnny_Aint_No_Del_Shofner:

at least half those names are all yours

VolzsFan writes:

in response to Johnny_Aint_No_Del_Shofner:

Only problem with this.......Hammy destroyed the athletic department. It is up to Hart to try and get it on a path that will get us back to even close to the level we had under the great Fulmer Hall of Fame era. But, it will not happen. It will never be back where Fulmer, Pearl and Delmonico had it....NEVER.

Enjoy the change you wanted and enjoy the tailgates. That is all that is left.

utvolfan1955 writes:

in response to Johnny_Aint_No_Del_Shofner:

Here are comments from former Vol Bill Bates. Listen to his comments about CBJ at the 1:45 mark

pingkr62 writes:

in response to VolFanInTheBoro:

Orangecounty

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think Jeff is Richmond's son. Richmond played wide receiver for U.T. in the seventies. I think Jeff was on U.T.'s roster in the late nineties/ 2000's, and was recruited by Fulmer. If I'm correct, Jeff is probably in his late twenties. I cannot imagine a grown, mature man who is closer to Richmond's age behaving like an immature punk like Jeff does. Again, if I'm wrong, let me know. G.B.O.!!!

orangecountyvols writes:

in response to utvolfan1955:

utvolfan'55,

Thanks for sharing that friend. And there you have it. Bill Bates, someone you can respect, someone who actually played the game.

I'll go with Bill and his well earned experience.
Obviously, someone who displays the class and maturity we need more of here. Careful though Bill, you might wind up in 'someone's screen name here.'

exlineman writes:

in response to exlineman:

In case someone would like to review some of your stupid posts on here, look no further than billybob from college grove, can't stand saban, 45 revolver and they along with others too many to mention that you have been using for at least two years and they all are almost identical in wording and your same old hatred over and over. Won't Faith let you drive that gold 2009 corvette, unless you lamblast UT several times a day. Grow a pair and grow up, peabody might welcome you with open arms, or you might go up to Cleveland and tell the tech school how great you have become, as bar tender instead of an electrician.

exlineman writes:

in response to VolzsFan:

Enjoy the change you wanted and enjoy the tailgates. That is all that is left.

Brett, don't it get old answering yourself on this site. Same verbage, it don't take a rocket scientist to put all of your posts together and they are all the same. You are one sick piece of work.

Vols4Ever writes:

in response to pingkr62:

You are wrong concerning when he played. Richmond Flowers played in the '60s and was one of the 1st players that really was a track athlete to play football.

He wanted to play for Bear but a slight public relations problem existed for the Tide. Richmond's dad happened to be the Attorney General of Alabama who took the U.S Constitution seriously and the Voting Rights Acts as the law of the land. Not a popular position then or now in Tideland.