Holly Warlick says Isabelle Harrison 'doubtful' for SEC tournament

Tennessee center Isabelle Harrison is helped up after being injured in the second half against Texas A&M on Thursday at Thompson-Boling Arena.

Photo by Wade Payne, AP2013

Bashaara Graves on SEC honors

Meighan Simmons on being named SEC co-player of year

Based on the latest prognosis, Tennessee might have to play the SEC women’s basketball tournament without Isabelle Harrison.

UT coach Holly Warlick described the 6-foot-3 center Wednesday as “doubtful” for the event. Tennessee (23-6) opens play Friday (TV: SportSouth, noon) at The Arena at Gwinnett Center in Duluth, Ga., facing the Florida-Arkansas first-round winner.

Harrison missed six games after undergoing surgery on Feb. 1 to address the lateral meniscus in her left knee. She contributed 10 points and four rebounds last Thursday to an 82-72 victory over Texas A&M, which clinched the SEC regular-season championship. But the sophomore suffered a right knee injury in the second half after jumping to catch a pass and landing awkwardly. She sat out Sunday’s 78-65 loss at Kentucky.

Harrison was riding a stationary bike while the team practiced Wednesday at Thompson-Boling Arena.

“I think they’re still evaluating her knee and I’m not sure to be quite honest,” Warlick said. “I think she’s doubtful for this weekend. That’s my understanding.”

While Harrison remained sidelined, guards Kamiko Williams and Ariel Massengale both practiced. On Sunday, Williams tweaked her right ankle, which had been sprained last month, and injured her left ankle — all on the same play. But she returned to the game and has practiced this week.

Massengale suffered a right knee injury last Thursday, and it appeared to be the most serious of all. She crumpled to the floor in pain during the second half against Texas A&M. Yet, the 5-foot-6 sophomore thought that she was fine by Friday morning, even before undergoing an MRI exam. She started against Kentucky and played 34 minutes.

“I still honestly don’t know what happened Thursday night,” Massengale said, “But everything came back (fine). (The knee) is intact. It’s good. Swelling’s gone. Ready to roll.”

Massengale conceded to being scared initially after going down.

“The fact that I had never been hurt before, especially with it being a knee and so many things that happen so often in the women’s game,” she said. “Everything kind of flashes in front of your eyes in a moment like that.

“So I was thankful we were able to get that win and finish it up. I’m glad to be back on the court with my teammates.”

Notebook: Earlier on Wednesday, Warlick visited the girls’ state tournament in Murfreesboro.

She attended a Class AAA quarterfinal game between Murfreesboro Riverdale and Brentwood. UT is recruiting Riverdale junior guard Alexa Middleton.

Dan Fleser covers Tennessee women’s basketball. Follow him at http://twitter.com/FleserKNS and http;//blogs.knoxnews.com/fleser.

Get Copyright Permissions © 2013, Knoxville News Sentinel Co.

jt45 writes:

I kind of felt like she returned too quickly from that surgery, although I was really hoping to have her back ASAP for the tournament. Getting fully healed before a more serious injury happens is crucial for Izzy,s future.

I hope to see her back to form when the time is right.

tonyvick#213307 writes:

Darn, I wanna cuss though.

emailnodata (Inactive) writes:

The tough part (to me) is the play was totally unnecessary.

I think it was Simmons, and it was a high, tough pass to handle, not even a post-entry pass.

I like Harrison, she competes well.

Geno_is_a_dbag07 writes:

Would love to see us get Middleton. She's a good kid from an awesome family. I played basketball with her mom...back in the day at Oakland High School. Good folks!!

SummittsCourt writes:

in response to tonyvick#213307:

Darn, I wanna cuss though.

I think you did.

SummittsCourt writes:

I'd rather have her healthy for the NCAA tournament.

madrigal writes:

I would rather have a healthy Izzy for next year. It would be nice to have her for the NCAAs but next year is far more important. I know she will want to play this year but sometimes you just have to think ahead.

voloffaith writes:

Unless 100% let Izzy heal for run next year. Yes I want Our Lady Vols to run deep as possible this year. However, doing so risking further damage isn't worth it. Moshak,The suer, and doctor have that call. Curious how that legal thing with 4 or 5 suing University is going.

emailnodata (Inactive) writes:

in response to Geno_is_a_dbag07:

Then if you still know the mom, my advice:
pick a school and commit.

She's right at that age when the acl's start their fricking epidemic run.

Theo writes:

in response to jt45:

I hope to see her back to form when the time is right.

Agree with your sentiments totally. Her current knee issue is not the knee that was operated on. I guess they could be related. Next year is fine with me. Just get healthy.

underthehill writes:

in response to voloffaith:

Just my opinion..expect UT to settle if they think they will lose in court and/or if the information that would be made public in court would be more damaging than the cost of the settlement..I expect them to settle..as for Izzy..I agree with those who say don't rush..100% next year is best..

DICK_MASTERSON_N_TENN (Inactive) writes:

Maybe once Moshak gets done suing her employee who has overpayed Her for years, she cant get Izzy ready to play.

TNACBOY36 writes:

in response to jt45:

I hope to see her back to form when the time is right.

It's the other knee isn't it ? Not the one she hurt before? I also have to wonder if Coach Warlick is not playing a chess game and not giving out to much information on Harrison's availability. A coach HAS to know more about a key player's health status than what she is saying... jmo

maxvolfan#217855 writes:

Just thinking about TN possibly having the best frontcourt in the nation next year. Graves, Harrison, Russell, Jones, Burdick. Wow.

I look for Dean to really coach up Russell to be a force in the middle. We need her to be playing like the center for LSU. There's not a center other than Griner that is playing as well as Pleiasant(Sp). If Russell can run the floor and be able to body up and pass the ball before the defense collapses on her , she will be special

Volinflan writes:

in response to maxvolfan#217855:

I'm with you Mr. Max. But we need to add Nia Moore to that group. That girl can "sky". Once they teach her what to do when she gets up there she will also be a major contributor. I still wish we had one more forward. Three posts, 4 forwards and six guards (2 Pgs and 4 shooters/wings) -- bring it on.

While we're discussing Nick Names, which we weren"t , such as JJ for Jasmine Jones. Next year we'll have JJ, JP (Phillips), JR (Reynolds) and JT (Tucker). I can see the announcers goining crazy on this. We used to have the "Meeks". We need to come up with something like the Orange Jays or something. While we're on the subject, which we are not, there is another "JJ" out there that has not signed any papers. Make My Day and make room for a couple of Banners.