Butch Jones wants to 'win the practice' on Day 1 of Tennessee spring ball

Depth chart for spring isn't released

( J. MILES CARY/NEWS SENTINEL )

Photo by J. Miles Cary

New Tennessee coach Butch Jones talks to the media at a pre-spring practice press conference Friday March 8, 2013. ( J. MILES CARY/NEWS SENTINEL )

Evan Woodbery on Vols' pre-spring press conference

Players speak at pre-spring press conference Friday

Butch Jones has conceded that some of his players will be lost on the first true practice day of his tenure.

His advice to any befuddled players: “When the horn blows, if you don’t know where you’re going, just run in place and follow your position groups.”

The energy and enthusiasm is important, Jones said Friday during a pre-spring news conference at Neyland Stadium. Comprehension will follow.

“You may see a lot of guys running in place tomorrow,” he said.

The Vols will take to the practice fields for the first time today at 9:30 a.m. All spring practices are closed to the public, but a portion of drills will be open to media.

Newcomers to Jones’ style can expect to see a fast-paced, high-energy practice centered around competition at every drill or session. The scoreboard will be lit up to reinforce the metaphor and for practical purposes — to keep track of who’s winning the practice.

“We’ll have a winner and a loser and play on both sides of the ball. Every rep counts. If we’re in a one-on-one battle, the winner gets a point for the offense or the defense, and we’ll tally them up,” Jones said.

Another quirk: The sound of a baby crying or glass breaking may unexpectedly blare over the loudspeaker.

“We’ll be in the middle of practice and then the noise comes on,” Jones said. “It may be annoying. It’s just trying to break their intensity and their focus, because great teams in this conference

have to go on the road in all the clutter and distraction. We have to focus on the task at hand and eliminate the clutter.”

The Vols will be limited today and Tuesday — two mandated pad-free days. After a third practice on Thursday morning, Jones could hold a “situational scrimmage” as early as next Saturday.

A handful of players will be adjusting to new positions before then.

Jones confirmed that senior Brent Brewer had moved to linebacker from safety and junior running back Devrin Young would now be a slot receiver. Additionally, Jones said that freshman Corey Vereen and redshirt freshman LaTroy Lewis, previously listed as linebackers, would get a shot at the “Leo” defensive end position, a sort of hybrid role.

No pre-spring depth chart was released, although Jones said he might be able to offer more details on some of the battles later in spring camp.

“We’ll end spring with a depth chart, but all that does is tell us who’s first when fall camp arrives,” Jones said.

Jones has said all positions — even those that appear largely settled, like the offensive line — are up for grabs.

“There is no depth chart,” said junior offensive tackle Ja’Wuan James. “I think it’s great because everybody can just start over. It’s a clean slate, and some of the young guys who weren’t able to do much last year, they get a chance to show themselves in spring practice. I feel that all the competition will bring the best out of all of us.”

For now Jones said he’s more worried about winning the first practice.

“The thing we have to do is focus on the process — and that’s winning tomorrow,” he said. “Too many people want to focus on the end results. I’m a big believer in the Navy SEALs and their idea of setting short-term goals and hitting those goals every hour, on the hour. That’s the approach that we’re taking.”

Get Copyright Permissions © 2013, Knoxville News Sentinel Co.

Henley-Street-Bridge writes:

Butch Jones should use sound effects of us VOL Fans whining about loosing for the last 3 years. That ought to be realistic and disruptive.

Mboroalum writes:

in response to Henley-Street-Bridge:

Starting with a negative additude is always a plus. Get back on your Meds......or take a nap.

iowa_vol writes:

This is change that I like. I hope tat CBJ's hype leads to wins and I'm looking forward to seeing what comes out of the spring practices.

Supersayin1 writes:

I love the move of Young to Slot WR, he and Howard should light teams up with their speed,and it gives them better chances to do so!
Also this frees up that 3rd RB spot in which i hope to see Alden Hill fill! I used to be a big hater of this kid, but i think he may be that SEC bruiser we have been missing for so long. Tom Smith as well! GO VOLS!!!

BIVOLAR_BEARE writes:

in response to Supersayin1:

Smith may be a diamond in the rough, but why the smack against Hill?? Does he have a fumbling problem??

GR82BaTennesseeVOL writes:

in response to Henley-Street-Bridge:

lol...good one. =)

pingkr62 writes:

in response to Mboroalum:

I don't think he was being negative. There have been a lot of folks whining over the past few years. G.B.O.!!!

pingkr62 writes:

in response to Supersayin1:

I don't know if you've noticed, but Tom Smith has put on some weight. I think that's a good thing. G.B.O.!!!

therightstuff writes:

It's Football time in TENNESSEE !!!!
Get the swagger going BuTch !

golfman1975 writes:

One of the best plays we hardly ever saw that worked was the quit pass to Young over the middle. He has to speed to score in the open field.

BIVOLAR_BEARE writes:

in response to golfman1975:

I was also thinking back to when UT used the bubble screen so successfully. Young would be perfect in that capacity..GBO!!

bfowler1161#262198 writes:

in response to Henley-Street-Bridge:

What did you loose?

BIVOLAR_BEARE writes:

in response to bfowler1161#262198:

What did you loose?

He lost his thesaurus.

rb4346 writes:

in response to Henley-Street-Bridge:

Being negative is not going to help this team at all, True Vol Fans should get behind CBJ, the staff and the young men who are proud to be wearing the Orange.
Show them we are going to support them. Keeping a positive attitude is part of the support.
I really feel that the hard times are coming to an end, but it will not happen overnight.

SevenT writes:

Jones doesn't have a depth chart? Maybe that is because the team as a whole has no depth?

Just Saying

brokendownoldvol writes:

I hope he can teach them how to tackle.

voloffaith writes:

in response to SevenT:

Just Saying

" Beating florida will take care of this...now get on the bus..." Your coach after losing bball the other night. Like your comment ...huh...relevance at the first day of spring practice. Clean slate everybody on even ground. Said,"depth chart at end of spring practice will be there. It will only show where people start fall practice at. There that was so simple..."even a caveman can understand."

Supersayin1 writes:

in response to BIVOLAR_BEARE:

I was an idiot! I saw one video of him ans was not impressed at all! I wanted another running back that we were recruiting at the time. But I watched Alden Hills senior year and saw how he improved in every area and I was floored! I knew we needed to get this kid on the field! He reminded me of Arian Foster mixed with Gerald Riggs! I believe this kid could be good for us in those 3rd and short situations.

BIVOLAR_BEARE writes:

in response to Supersayin1:

Good point, he does remind me of AF..This Hurd kid from Beech (2014 class) also reminds me of AF. I quit breaking down film from HS because most of their highlights are against inferior competition. The only exception I can think of was CP when seeing him dominate against JC athletes, he proved he could play at any level.

VolzsFan writes:

Practice? We talking about practice? The rest of the sports world could care a less.....get a life people!!

gerwmor writes:

in response to VolzsFan:

And when you get that GED, you might also know that the phrase is "couldn't care less." People who cannot write, should not be allowed to post on this site. People who cannot write and who have a sports IQ of 13 1/2 should simply remain silent.

That_One_Fellar writes:

in response to Henley-Street-Bridge:

'Whining about loosing' ...........................................HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH(Stops for a breath)AHAHA.... Will you do me a favor, and keep posting... Let the world see how smart you truly are(n't).... Whoo... I needed a good laugh before work... Thanks

gc_scvol writes:

in response to Henley-Street-Bridge:

GFY

antonio14313 writes:

in response to Supersayin1:

i wish that there were more people on (and off) here that had, let's just say, big enough brass, to admit when they're wrong. way to go! awesome. and, i agree with you: the first person that i thought of when i heard about this kid was arian foster (and i'm still baffled at how he went UNDRAFTED!?!). things are looking up! go vols.

t

antonio14313 writes:

in response to VolzsFan:

practice is where it starts. practice makes perfect. and, caring about practice is what true Vols fans do, because we have a passion for the sport, for the team, for the way of life. each one teach one. go vols.

t