Cuonzo Martin says Missouri win is biggest so far at UT

Tennessee head coach Cuonzo Martin reacts to a defensive break for the Vols as they play Missouri at Thompson-Boling Arena Saturday, Mar. 9, 2013. Tennessee won 64-62 over Missouri. (ADAM BRIMER/NEWS SENTINEL)

Photo by Adam Brimer

How far does UT need to go in the SEC tournament to earn a spot in the NCAA tournament?

See the results »

View previous polls »

Cuonzo Martin won his 38th game as Tennessee head men’s basketball coach on Saturday.

He wrapped up his postgame press conference around 6:20 p.m., calling the Vols’ 64-62 win over visiting Missouri, “A great win for our program.” More extroverted than normal, he used the meeting with the media to cement his team’s position in the NCAA tournament picture, saying, “You’ve got to do the job and I think the job is done.”

Soon after, lumbering back toward the court at Thompson-Boling Arena for his postgame radio show, Martin was corralled. The 41-year-old could hardly stand still. A few passersby offered up a congratulatory, “Good game, coach,” and were thanked with a handshake.

Shifting his attention to a few residual post-press conference questions, Martin was asked, pointblank, “Is this the biggest win of your Tennessee tenure?”

He stopped shifting around. Thinking for a second, memories of last year’s two wins over Florida and a 2011-12 season-ending win over Vanderbilt flashed. Images of this season’s wins over Kentucky and Florida flickered.

This win over Missouri, though, was different.

“I think (it’s the biggest) because of what’s at stake and from where we were to get to where we are,” he answered. “We weren’t a good team early. We’re a good team now.”

A team that’s now heading to the SEC tournament as winners in eight of their last nine. The Vols stand as the fifth seed in the conference tournament. They will face the winner of Wednesday’s game between 12th-seeded South Carolina and 13th-seeded Mississippi State on Thursday at 3:30 p.m. ET in Nashville.

A win on Thursday would set up a meeting with fourth-seeded Alabama in a Friday quarterfinal game dripping with NCAA tournament implications.

Saturday’s focus wasn’t about to transition to postseason play, though.

The win over Missouri was the exclamation point to a late-season charge that inflated UT’s unlikely tournament bubble. Few saw this coming.

The Vols were down-and-out a little more than a month ago, rotting at 3-6 in the SEC and 11-10 overall.

They closed the regular season 11-7 in the league and 19-11.

Thus, like Martin said, beating Missouri beats any other signature win.

“A lot of teams in the country found themselves in the same position we did and they rolled over,” Martin said. “This team fought. That’s a credit to each individual believing in me as a coach, what we’re talking about as a staff, digging deep and getting it done.”

The closing eight minutes against Missouri were a microcosm of Tennessee’s season. The Vols were on the skids, then junior guard Jordan McRae took over to even things out, then UT surged to the finish line.

Sound familiar?

“It was beautiful,” Martin said. “You couldn’t ask for a better script.”

Seeing his Vols toiling along in early February, McRae staged an impromptu SEC player-of-the-year campaign over the last nine games. He averaged 21.2 points per game, shooting 46.3 percent from the field, 51.9 percent on 3-pointers and 84.8 percent from the free-throw line.

McRae was on the floor for all those aforementioned signature wins during Martin’s time in Knoxville.

Posed the same question tossed to Martin, he summed things up.

“The Vandy game was the best before we played Kentucky,” he began. “The Kentucky win (this season) was best before we played Florida. Florida was the best before we played Missouri.

“Missouri is the best now.”

Brendan F. Quinn covers Tennessee men’s basketball. Follow him at Twitter.com/BFQuinn.

Get Copyright Permissions © 2013, Knoxville News Sentinel Co.

maciste54 writes:

Don't let up now !

mocsandvolsfan writes:

I'd almost rather win the SEC tourney than to just get in the NCAAs. Still I'd love to get a couple good draws in the big tourney. I think Duke would be a great first game win or lose. lol

miketn6 writes:

I liked coach Pearl, but I'm very happy to have Coach Martin now. This guy is a winner, and he'll prove it over the next 2 or 3 years.

SummittsCourt writes:

I'd have to agree with what was at stake and the fact that they were down late in the game.

Being 3-0 against Florida is good, a 30 point blowout of UK was good too, but beating Mizzou yesterday was the biggest!

baldingalum writes:

Coach Martin is a great ambassador for the school. He has an incredible personal story and he is committed to doing things the right way. You can't ask for more than that. The university needs to do everything it can to ensure he is happy, comfortable and in Knoxville for a long time.

iowavol writes:

in response to miketn6:

Unlike Pearl who proved it in the first year? Not sure I get your comparison, but I too liked Pearl and like Martin. I would like to see the team better prepared to start the season next year.

miketn6 writes:

in response to iowavol:

Was there a comparison? They'll be fine next year. Not having their best player on the floor hurt this year's start.

VolGrad writes:

I understand how the victory over Missouri is the biggest thus far for this team and this coach. It is the timing; it is about what is at stake. It is also true that Missouri was probably a more "complete" team than either Florida or Kentucky at the time we played those guys. But historically, how many will remember this win over the stomping of Kentucky or even the streak against Florida?

Yet for this year, at this moment, and in regard to what is at stake right now..., I suppose Missouri is the biggest win. Nonetheless, this victory would simply have been merely too little, too late without the ones before it.

As far as that goes, if we don't win one or two in the SEC Tourney... it may still all be "too little, too late."

But this group has taken me from the depths of despair just 10 or 11 games ago, to believing again. I like their chances now more than I ever have. Between the 4 OT victory on the road at A&M and this comeback against Missouri, these guys have so much more composure in pressure situations, more maturity overall. That should bode well going into this weekend.

Go Vols! Keep Winning!!!

tnvol34 writes:

You all know we are going to get screwed out of at large berth in NCAA dance! KY and Va winning did not help us! If we win two or more games in tourney, we may get in! We should be in anyway, but we always get the shaft! GO VOLS!

SouthPaVol writes:

in response to VolGrad:

Go Vols! Keep Winning!!!

Knowing I could only attend two games at the beginning of the season due to time restraints and distance, I picked Xavier and Missouri. Missouri was my first pick, partly because they are new to the SEC and I haven't seen them live; but also because of their history on the court.

The two new SEC members have give some major excitement in their first encounters with the Vols: An overtime loss to Missouri in football (attended); a four overtime win at TX A&M; and our win over Missouri, quickly labeled as our best win of the season.

I am glad we beat KY and FLA, which are rivals of old. It did my heart good to see the big blue wollering in the mud. This Missouri win, considering their rich basketball history, to me was sweeter still. Go Vols!

HtownVol writes:

I dont understand this junk. Tennessee stayed in the first four out after beating Mizz.. Yet 2 weeks ago they went from first 4 out to last 4 in after a LOSS to UGA. This junk is nuts. And a W over USCE or MSU will likely only hurt Tennessee so maybe a W over Bama is a must. I think they are in no matter what but in Loe Lunardis mind they dont move at all after beating a top 35 RPI team.

1-SEEDS

Iowa State
Temple

LAST FOUR IN
La Salle
Boise State
Kentucky
Virginia (moves in with win)

FIRST FOUR OUT
Tennessee (moves down to Virginia's spot)
Ole Miss
Baylor
Southern Miss

NEXT THREE OUT
Alabama
Iowa
Arizona State

John_10065 writes:

in response to iowavol:

I didn't recall Pearl coming in under the clouds of NCAA sanctions over his head.

I don't think that there is any fair way to compare the two during their first year.

brod writes:

it was a big win over a very good team. but we've been here before. i've seen them close out the regular season with an impressive win before and then flop out the sec tourney and not look very sharp in the ncaa as well. (i.e. last year but that was the nit) i think tennessee is in but making it to saturday in the tourney would help a great deal. hell, let's just win it. it hasn't happened in my lifetime, well i was five that last time it happened. even our 2008 team had a screw up in the sec tourney.

Giverny writes:

I'm happy for the win but the 'bandwagon effect' amuses me to no end....is it the same one most of you used with Kiffin and Dooley...maybe some new paint?

Some good things about the season include the fans support has been remarkable especially considering how uninspired we have played at times...secondly the players are playing better as a team, despite having a coach who is lacking in so aspects of coaching...beginning with communication, leadership, recruiting, ...and I'm sorry but he's dumber than a box of rocks....

jhncpps1 writes:

in response to iowavol:

also gotta remember that Pearl had a lot of talent on his first team (Chris Lofton, C.J Watson, JaJuan Smith) that just needed the right coach to bring them together....Martin lost the two best players from the previous year (Tobias Harris and Scotty Hopson) when he took over and the Maymon being out to start this season. So both of Martin's two seasons this team had to work to find their identity, but when they did, they surged to the finish line both years

Tucker31 writes:

What a game by Richardson!! His plays late in the game were the difference IMO. When McRae stripped Pressey after an inbound and the Vols coralled the loose ball, passed down low to Stokes, who dished to a charging Richardson. Richardson took one step and launched for a monster, 2 handed dunk that had he slammed it, would have certainly brought down the house. But, he was fouled and made both. Then the incredible steal off the inbound in the final 2 min.

These guys are really gelling right now and can play with anyone in the country on any given day.

I think they are in the tournament if the selections were made today, but there is always that unlikely cinderella out there that will win their conference championship and steal an at-large spot, so keep charging and adding wins!! Not to mention, the bubble is full of SEC teams and they will most likely weed each other out this weekend in Nashville. I think the Vols could be seeded anywhere from 12 to 5, depending on the outcome of this weekend. Go Vols!!

Vol_In_Ohio writes:

in response to Giverny:

You can have your own opinions obviously, and people were calling for his head a month ago. you got the bandwagon aspect right.

But Cuonzo is a leader of young men. No debate.

Vol_In_Ohio writes:

in response to Tucker31:

A five seed? I was thinking a four :)

Richardson is a nice role player. He's come up with some nice mid-range jumpers when we needed points badly, including Saturday.

brokendownoldvol writes:

It's time for TN to finally show up and win the SEC tournament.34 yrs. is long enough.

underthehill writes:

in response to Tucker31:

Interesting observations and comments..Richardson gets beat sometimes but I have never seen him back down..he comes back harder and harder and never loses the physical aspect of the game..when Mizzu got physical late and appeared to think UT would go away ..Stokes and Richardson turned it up a notch..

Basketvol writes:

in response to iowavol:

I hated to see Bruce Pearl go as much as anyone. Let's look at the whole picture though. Was Bruce's last team any better than this one? Yes, the beginning of this season was a bit disappointing, but a struggle was expected (by anyone living in reality) with the loss of Maymon.

John_10065 writes:

in response to Giverny:

Dumber than a box of rocks?

Why?

Was it when he went to the SEC and complained about Stokes getting ticky tack fouls and that boosted Stokes confidence and got him playing up to his size?

Because he had the foresight to switch from a 3 G 2 F set to a 4 G set and finish off this season with a 9-1 run?

Or when he called time out to tell the guys that FL wasn't switching fast enough on the picks and look for the open 3?

Oh wait let's talk about how on the last inbound of the game against Mizzou he put Golden on the floor instead of inbounding sensing he wanted the ball and got 2 of 2 at the line.

Is that the box of rocks you are talking about?

ellerbee123 writes:

A few weeks ago I was on here stating how horrible we were and how Coach Martin needed to go. I want to apologize for my remarks. These boys are INCREDIBLE and I loved every minute of the game Saturday and the way the fans were all into the game. If Martin keeps this up, we can look forward to great future basketball programs. Thanks for the turnaround boys. Don't know what happened, but I am sure glad it did.

tobytyler writes:

If we were just Ky, all we would have to do is have fla lay down the last 7:34 of the game, then go from the "next 4 out " and jump 7 spots to the 1st position of the last 4 in to make the tournament. Unbelievable that we beat that team with a wide receiver at center by 30 points is in better shape than we are. The only reason uk's rpi is better is because they get to carry that win over Maryland and their acc schedule, other than that they have nothing on us when it comes to making the tournament.

John_10065 writes:

in response to John_10065:

Dumber than a box of rocks?

Why?

Is that the box of rocks you are talking about?

Oh I get it now!

It was that stupid move to send Hubb's mom a personally written note on Mother's Day to push the commitment over the top that makes him a box of rocks!

in response to Vol_In_Ohio:

But Cuonzo is a leader of young men. No debate.

I agree with you. To use the old metaphor, if I was in a foxhole getting ready for the battle of my life, I would feel a lot better about my chances if CCM were in there with me. The other poster is nuts. Just because he isn't a glad-hander and a smooth talker doesn't mean he is dumb by a LONG shot. One MIGHT still quibble about his recruiting, but he secured Jarnell, who was wavering after Pearl got the axe, and he is bringing in five-star Robert Hubbs for next year. I'll bet he gets a number of top-40 or so players for the year after that.

in response to brokendownoldvol:

AMEN, brother, amen! Preach it! It has always just annoyed the HECK out of me how many pretty good Vol teams have gone to the SEC tournament and just flat-out sucked! I'm tired of that, and I'm pretty sure the guys will be out to shake that reputation themselves. They had better do it, too, because although I think they SHOULD be in the NCAAs, I just don't want them to leave any chance for the selection committee to make a "mistake".

in response to ellerbee123:

Congratulations! Not too many on here who were ready to dump Martin back in December or who didn't want him here in the first place would ADMIT to such a change of heart even if they had one. It was easy to doubt earlier, and many did, but it is just foolish to continue to do so. I don't know how they will do going forward, and although next year looks REALLY promising, nothing has happened yet, but I think that if Martin has anything to do with it, and we all know he does, the future will be bright indeed.

bUTch_please writes:

in response to johnlg00:

May I join you in your rant?

I'm about finished coddling the "Zo hasn't proved he can recruit" morons who hang onto that straw as though it was the last vestige of the confederacy. We wouldn't be even having this bubble conversation without key contributions by some very young Martin recruits.

Stokes, 'nuff said.

Quinton Chevious. We would have never gotten past Mizzou without him gobbling up 5 rebounds and scoring some huge opportunity points. He has yet to learn how to manufacture his shot (without charging the lane screaming bonzai!) but he is exceptionally quick in scoring off of a loose ball. He is a HARD-NOSED player who shoots 44% and gets a ton of defensive rebounds.

Armani Moore also gets a ton of rebounds, is behind Yemi by only one, most of them defensive. Shoots 37% from behind the arc, has 15 steals and 16 blocks. Seriously..16 blocks...an effing guard no less!

Derek Reese is shooting 39% from the field and 33% from behind the arc and providing 18 minutes a game of solid defensive effort.

Josh Richardson has the second highest rebounding total on the team, behind only Jarnell! Plus he's shooting 48% from the field.

..and we have Hubbs coming?

Coach Zo is recruiting AND signing hard-nosed, aggressive players who can defend and shoot well. I for one have had enough time to see it for myself.

Zo VOLS!

Iowa State
Temple

LAST FOUR IN
La Salle
Boise State
Kentucky
Virginia (moves in with win)

FIRST FOUR OUT
Tennessee (moves down to Virginia's spot)
Ole Miss
Baylor
Southern Miss

NEXT THREE OUT
Alabama
Iowa
Arizona State

What is there to understand? It is NCAA Voodoo. 8(

Yeah, I think we should be in period. But we just need to keep winning, regardless. A win over Bama should solidify the obvious. Winning the tournament would make it all academic.

Go Vols!

rbwtn writes:

We're having Fun keep going

voloffaith writes:

in response to VolGrad:

What is there to understand? It is NCAA Voodoo. 8(

Go Vols!

Just a brief reminder b4 we talk about beating the elephants.We actually play the winner of gamecocks and bulldogs of Mis. St. Both gave us trouble even though we won the games. So "don't count your chickens b4 they hatch."

Giverny writes:

in response to John_10065:

Dumber than a box of rocks?

Why?

Is that the box of rocks you are talking about?

Dear John:

Well...in all seriousness, lets begin with something that's not antidotal, a metric, something that can be measured as it apples to the 'box of rocks' comment....

Be objective and truthful....what do you think his IQ is....would you like for me to list the critical elements of what comprises the assessment of the IQ or are you familiar with them...

Obviously this is just a guess, a projection if you will but what do you think it is?

jamgod writes:

in response to Giverny:

You have no basis for what you are stating! This is what agravates me the most is when some limp brain moron gets on hear and spouts some garbage that they have no idea how to back up with facts....just another idiot spouting off typing before they think about what they are going to type.....capital DA in my opinion. Just plain stupidity!!!

voloffaith writes:

in response to Giverny:

Dear John:

By measuring your content and substance(speculative) I would say his is higher than yours . Plus he has you,Apparently, swamped by his level of integrity. I find it sadly amusing you would choose to attack the coaches intelligence so vociferously. Again ,my humble opinion is he is intelligent and a man of integrity. Attibutes you should respect and admire and desire for yourself.

VolGrad writes:

in response to Giverny:

Dear John:

Talking metrics then asking for an opinion (albeit an "honest" one) regarding a man's IQ seems a bit wacky.

What exactly is it about Cuonzo Martin that prompts you to question his IQ? How about we start with that..., and please be honest.

John_10065 writes:

in response to Giverny:

Dear John:

Above room temperature...unlike yours.

in response to Giverny:

Dear John:

Well, in all seriousness, anybody who presumes to question the intelligence of anybody else on the basis of no visible grounds whatsoever OUGHT to know that the term for a form of non-statistical evidence is ANECDOTAL, not "antidotal", whatever the heck THAT means. As someone with more than passing familiarity with "IQ", how it is tested, and what it means, I can tell you that for all the well-known faults of the methods by which it is tested and defined, it is FAR more than one's snap impressions of another's mode of expression. Your insinuation is right up there with the way "Yankees" have traditionally underestimated the intelligence of Southerners because they think they talk funny or with the impression some Americans have of the superior intellect and sophistication of Brits because of the way THEY sound.

For one thing, FUNCTIONAL intelligence, i.e., the ability to get things done in the "real" world, consists of far more than "readin', writin', and cipherin'" as those things are measured on paper. To avoid the risk of turning this into another tome on a non-issue, I would say only that to question by innuendo the intelligence of a person you clearly know nothing about raises serious questions about YOUR intelligence, not to mention your taste and judgment. Continuing to double down on this line of discussion would call those things into serious question indeed.

Basketvol writes:

in response to johnlg00:

I was thinking the same thing, but couldn't have said this better myself. Really, I couldn't. Must be my low IQ, lol. I wonder if Giverny is familiar with Gardner's Theory of Multiple Intelligences.