Lady Vol signees vie for Oregon state titles

Tennessee’s signees from Oregon went one for two on state championships Saturday night.

Guard Jordan Reynolds and Portland Central Catholic won the Class 6A girls basketball title, beating Medford 57-36. The 5-foot-10 Reynolds, the reigning 6A player of the year, scored 15 points and grabbed 13 rebounds. She also recorded five assists and five steals in helping her school win its first state girls title.

She transferred to Central Catholic as a junior after winning a 5A championship at Jefferson.

Meanwhile, center Mercedes Russell and two-time defending champion Springfield lost to Willamette 48-41 in the 5A final. The 6-foot-5 Russell, who had scored 61 points in two tournament games preceding the final, was held to 12 points and nine shots by Willamette, which swarmed her inside.

Russell finished her high school career as the third leading scorer in Oregon girls history with 2,286 points.

— Dan Fleser

maxvolfan#217855 writes:

Someone mentioned before about the Aggies watching tape and I really don't know if it made a difference but I saw where the Aggie players had time to scout both games when we played Florida and when UK played GA. At both times they were really into the games , something Coach Blair I'm sure told them to pay attention too. Time to win two and move on in Knoxville.

With reference to THIS article, I'm really looking forward to Reynolds coming in and lighting a fire under Ariel next year. Along with a fully-recovered Carter, there ought to be at least ONE good PG on next year's out of the three of them. Sounds like Russell could have used a little help from her friends just like Spani could have the other day. The fact that Reynolds and Russell got one state championship and one state runner-up between them means these young ladies are not only great talents, they are WINNERS. The future looks very bright for the LVs, whiners and fainthearts on this board notwithstanding.

snowpeapod#263184 writes:

in response to johnlg00:

John, you have to understand there will always be whiners and fainthearted people posting on every board. I've been saying for a long time that Reynolds would be the sleeper in this class, if that's possible considering she's a McDonald's All-American. I've been following their progress and hope she makes me sound like a genius, which I'm definetly not, just a loyal Lady Vol fan who spends 6 months in Ohio and 6 months in Knoxville, obviously during basketball season.

maxvolfan#217855 writes:

Added comment to Wrong article . My bad.

maxvolfan#217855 writes:

And yes we have some ballets coming in next year to add to a very experienced group. I'm excited about the fact that we have players that aren't afraid to score and the players coming in are good shooters too. Losing Spani we will need someone to come in to be able to knock down 3's on a consistent bases.

vol98champ writes:

Imagine a guard with 5 assists and 5 steals in one championship game! Wonder how many turnovers she had. How many assists did our team have in 2 games in the tournament?

HanQ7 writes:

in response to maxvolfan#217855:

From what I've seen a fully healthy Jannah Tucker will be that threat from the 3 point line. I can't wait to see this team next year. I pray everyone is healthy! If that happens in the frosh are as good as advertised, mixed with the current talent. I see final fours again!!!!

maxvolfan#217855 writes:

No doubt final four talent but coaching schemes are my concern. The game has evolved and we went through 4 Griner era years where coaches spent countless hours on how to make there team better to stop Baylor. The only team to do it was A&M against a young Baylor team. Let's face it theres really good teams out there with only two or three good players but excellent coaching(A&M) What UT has to do with all of this talent we have now and coming in is get creative. Work on backdoor cuts, crisp passing, screens. Our team is too predictable. We have to make changes to be back on top.