Jordan McRae passed over for SEC Player of the Year

Tennessee guard Jordan McRae (52) shoots a 3-pointer in the second half against Missouri at Thompson-Boling Arena Saturday, Mar. 9, 2013. Tennessee won 64-62 over Missouri. (ADAM BRIMER/NEWS SENTINEL)

Photo by Adam Brimer

Jordan McRae said Monday he wouldn’t “lose any sleep over it.”

Hopefully the Tennessee junior dozed off peacefully Tuesday night.

Despite a stirring late push to claim SEC player-of-the-year honors, McRae’s name was not called as the conference’s top player Tuesday.

Instead, the league’s coaches gave the nod to Georgia guard Kentavious Caldwell-Pope as player of the year.

McRae had to settle for landing on the All-SEC first team, a notable feat for a player who averaged 8.6 points per game last year and wasn’t a starter at the beginning of the 2012-13 season.

Entering the SEC tournament, McRae is averaging 16.2 points per game. He’s started the last 18 games, posting 19.2 points per game in SEC play while averaging a league-best 37.7 minutes per game.

“All of the sudden he has a passion for scoring, it is like food to him right now — ‘I’ve got to score this ball,’ ” UT coach Cuonzo Martin said Monday.

McRae averaged 21.2 points in the Vols’ last nine games.

Eight were wins.

“Twenty-one points is unmistakable,” UT point guard Trae Golden said. “He’s the key to our game.”

Taking a back seat to Caldwell-Pope is no shame. The 6-foot-5 sophomore finished second in the SEC in scoring at 18.0 points per game and is one of only 10 Division I players to score in double figures in every game this year.

In two wins over Tennessee, Caldwell-Pope scored 24 and 25 points on 16-of-30 shooting.

Taking to Twitter on Tuesday, McRae offered congratulations, tweeting, “Congrats to KCP big ups to him.”

UT’s Jarnell Stokes may not have been as chipper.

Despite being the SEC’s only player to average a double-double in league play at 13.1 points and 10.7 rebounds per game, the sophomore forward was relegated to All-SEC second-team honors.

After an up-and-down start to the season battling double-teams in Jeronne Maymon’s absence, Stokes found steady play and posted 11 double-doubles in UT’s last 15 games.

“I wish I would have known earlier in the season what I know now as far as the value of rebounding,” Stokes said. “Early in the season, I didn’t really go after rebounds. I guess Jeronne spoiled me last year, just going and getting every rebound. I didn’t really have to work. That had a lot to do with it.”

Despite scoring 12.1 points per game and ranking third in the SEC with 4.1 assists per game, Golden did not join Stokes on the All-SEC second team.

Florida coach Billy Donovan, who led the Gators to a regular-season conference championship, was named SEC coach of the year by his peers.

Kentucky’s Nerlens Noel was named freshman of the year and defensive player of the year, while UK’s Kyle Wiltjer earned sixth man of the year.

McRae and Caldwell-Pope also were named to the U.S. Basketball Writers Association All-District IV team on Tuesday. District IV is comprised of players from Kentucky, Tennessee, Mississippi, Alabama, Georgia and Florida.

Seeded fifth in the SEC tournament, Tennessee (19-11, 11-7 SEC) will face either 12th-seeded South Carolina (14-17) or 13th-seeded Mississippi State (9-21) on Thursday (TV: WVLT, 3:30 p.m.) in Nashville.

Brendan F. Quinn covers Tennessee men’s basketball. Follow him at Twitter.com/BFQuinn.

First Team

Coach of the Year: Billy Donovan, Florida

Player of the Year: Kentavious Caldwell-Pope, Georgia

Scholar-Athlete of the Year: Patric Young, Florida

Freshman of the Year:  Nerlens Noel, Kentucky

Sixth-Man of the Year: Kyle Wiltjer, Kentucky

Defensive Player of the Year: Nerlens Noel, Kentucky

Get Copyright Permissions © 2013, Knoxville News Sentinel Co.

Witch_Doctors writes:

Witch Doctor say no one 10 games deep in the season picked this to happen besides Jesus. Witch Doctor say congrats and keep the hits coming.
Bones never lie.
J Richardson left off the D team is a shrunken head scratcher?

mocsandvolsfan writes:

I see motivation here. That is if we need more.

jhayes0926#638474 writes:

I like Jarnell's attitude and I agree with him. If he had gone after rebounds the first of the season like he did the last, we would have won 2 or 3 more games. His inconsistency in the first half also cost him 1st team votes.

emailnodata (Inactive) writes:

KCP is a helluva player, at least against us.

If we miss the NCAA's, 2 players will be the dogs that bit us:
KCP, and that obnoxious white kid from Ole Miss. Those are 4 wins we have on our resume' otherwise.

Congrats to KCP, McRae, and especially to Stokes. The young man is growing up right in front of us. What I like about Stokes?? He seems to be a good kid.

in response to jhayes0926#638474:

It could have also cost the team a few games. I think Jarnell is only now coming into his own. He seems to be a very smart and perceptive guy who will do what it takes to be the player he can be. I just hope Maymon coming back next year doesn't cause Stokes to regress. He can't lose his new-found desire to pound the boards just because he will have more help. He could stand to get a little, uh, more assertive still--not dirty or wild, just...TOUGHER!

in response to emailnodata:

KCP is a helluva player, at least against us.

If we miss the NCAA's, 2 players will be the dogs that bit us:

Well, KCP was pretty tough against darn near everybody, being the ONLY player in the league to score in double figures in every game. My guess is that his and Marshall Henderson's performance against the Vols was a major reason why Josh Richardson didn't make the all-defensive team. If he had squelched those guys at least once each, the Vols could likely have had two more wins and not now be sweating an invitation to the Big Dance.

in response to johnlg00:

jhayes, of course you DID say Stokes' relatively less-aggressive play early cost the Vols some games! <D'oh! slaps forehead!>

emailnodata (Inactive) writes:

stoke's "little" brother was hilarious:
6'8", 245 lbs (266???) in the EIGHTH GRADE.

I mean, what do mom and dad look like??
That's some monster genes in those kids. Driveway basketball must leave dents in the concrete.

kyvol98 writes:

I don't get all the accolades for a kid that plays half the conference schedule. Not knocking Noel,as he is a real talent, but that doesn't seem right to me.

emailnodata (Inactive) writes:

in response to kyvol98:

Yeah had that same thought.....
but I honestly don't know the league that well anymore.

Too many teams, takes too much time.

Times have really changed, I (and many others) could about name every football player and male and female basketball player in the conference.

in response to emailnodata:

stoke's "little" brother was hilarious:
6'8", 245 lbs (266???) in the EIGHTH GRADE.

I mean, what do mom and dad look like??

Dontcha know "li'l bro'" would look GREAT in orange? Sure glad I didn't have to feed and clothe those two hosses!

sly_stone99#434111 writes:

There's motivation in this selection for the Vols to go out and rip some butt.

OwensboroVol writes:

I don't know what Jarnell has to do! The guy played with 2 defenders hanging on him and officials who would call a foul if he did anything to get free of them. Its BS. I have watched a bunch of SEC games this year and there IS NOT a better big man in this league than Stokes. He was robbed.

HtownVol writes:

This is a joke anyway.
It seems to me that there should be only 5 players on a first team. If there are two point guards then one of them are not the best point guard in the league.
I do understand the POY because KCP did it all year while Jordan was only hot in SEC play, unless it only takes SEC play in to count.

But the STokes being left is a joke. last I checked double-doubles are a big deal. WHo had more double-doubles than Sokes?? And likeOwensboro said, Stokes faced more double/triple teams than anyone in the SEC this season, by far. and still put up great numbers.

Man I hope Stokes and Mcrae come back next season. They are both second round players at this point and I wish they wont make the same mistake Hopson made. If they come back UT will have its best roster since 2008, and next years may be better. 2008 didnt have NBA talent and next year we have 2 that will and 4 that can be (Stokes, McRae, Hubbs and Maymon) I doubt Maymon makes it with the knee.

GO VOLS

jt45 writes:

Congrats to Mcrae ! He has improved his game immensely over the last year.

The Noel pick is hogwash. Im a bit surprised the coaches would pull an espn and vote like that. Stokes got shafted IMO.

Orange_Beach writes:

in response to Witch_Doctors:

Bones never lie.
J Richardson left off the D team is a shrunken head scratcher?

Jesus doesn't even like basketball.

utvolfan1955 writes:

in response to Orange_Beach:

Jesus doesn't even like basketball.

Maybe but Jesus loves even trolls like you

dcap8424 writes:

in response to Orange_Beach:

Jesus doesn't even like basketball.

Maybe, but if he'd have played, he would have played in Lawrence, Kansas. I've got the shirt to prove it.

mloaks#222092 writes:

concur, Josh s/b Def team, and Golden 2nd team

CrankE writes:

Noel plays for Kentucky. What else do you need to know? When UT played UK, the commentaterheads told us about Noel's injury a mere 752,421 times during the broadcast. I half exepected them to call him at the house and let him talk through the game like they did with Bobby Bowden for the 1998 SEC Championship in football.

Stokes has all the tools, he just needs the toughness and maybe to be a step quicker. Many times on offense when he gets the ball, he has to take another step or two before being set to take a shot. By that time, he's covered up and what would have been a good shot is now strongly contested. One more step of quickness for Stokes and he's an absolute beast.

No worries about McRae missing POY. Just win baby.

CroKev writes:

in response to HtownVol:

This is a joke anyway.

GO VOLS

What's the approximate difference in average pay between a 1st-rounder and a 2nd-rounder in the NBA? If it's huge, I hope our guys are listening...

brokendownoldvol writes:

Stokes plays basketball and doesn't know the value of rebounding? Unbelievable.

FanNotSheep writes:

If Vols had been able to beat Georgia in Knoxville they are locks for NCAA right now. That's more important than any individual honors. But if Stokes feels like he has something to prove in the upcoming days that's a plus.

Time to erase some bad memories and start a new era of SEC Tournament success if you ask me.

FanNotSheep writes:

in response to brokendownoldvol:

Stokes plays basketball and doesn't know the value of rebounding? Unbelievable.

As a freshman Stokes played beside one of the league's most consistent and under-appreciated players in Maymon. The transition from high school to college must have been overwhelming for a high school senior suddenly competing in the SEC. Now he is having to un-learn some of what he took for granted last year. No reason trying to make more of it than that.

Theo writes:

in response to emailnodata:

stoke's "little" brother was hilarious:
6'8", 245 lbs (266???) in the EIGHTH GRADE.

I mean, what do mom and dad look like??

God bless Mrs. Stokes.

CoverOrange writes:

in response to CroKev:

1st rounders are guaranteed contracts. 2nd rounders, not so much.

CoverOrange writes:

in response to HtownVol:

This is a joke anyway.

GO VOLS

At this point I'm wondering if Maymon comes back at all. His "knee injury" is still very mysterious.

For the same reason defense is boring, rebounding is boring, only scoring wows. Had Stokes been more consistent with his baby hooks, he would have made 1st team if not POY.

CoverOrange writes:

in response to brokendownoldvol:

Stokes plays basketball and doesn't know the value of rebounding? Unbelievable.

Not "value," "effort required."

Samuel_L_Salma_GataBait_HowBoutDemCowboys_BlueWaffles88 writes:

Well Vols, at least your boy Billy D won SEC COY. I figured the baby Durant (McRae) or even Henderson would've won SEC POY. Guess that's what Henderson gets for all of the trash talking. Now go watch the SEC COY lead UF deep in the tourney.

in response to CrankE:

No worries about McRae missing POY. Just win baby.

Good job counting all those references to Noel! One thing I would like to see from Stokes is to learn to just pivot in place over his left shoulder from as far as eight feet out to shoot a jump hook. If he can perfect that move--and better yet, if he could do it out to 4-6 feet with his left hand--and get a reliable jumper out to about 15', he would be darned near unstoppable in college and could look forward to a nice long career in the NBA.

jt45 writes:

in response to Samuel_L_Salma_GataBait_HowBoutDemCowboys_BlueWaffles88:

Deep in the tourney? LOL! Not likely based on his road record. Thanks for the humor though, your always good for one chuckle.

murrayvol writes:

in response to johnlg00:

Good advice johnlg but the vast majority of today's players have little interest in developing a "baby hook" or practicing FTS. You never see that on ESPN.

murrayvol writes:

in response to CoverOrange:

I know nothing about Maymon's injury but it sounds like a lingering infection and those can be difficult to deal with.

in response to FanNotSheep:

That is just what that guy does for the most part, make mountains out of molehills. I think the last few weeks have shown that Stokes appreciates the value of rebounding. Even better, he has taught a lot of opponents the value of rebounding, as in "grab it and get out of the way or prepare to have your arm torn off"! I hope he and Maymon will try to get in a lot of practice time together in the off-season so they can learn to truly complement each other and not get in each other's way. I would like for them to practice screening for each other and perfecting the high-low pass action each way. If they do, look out college basketball world! The Vols will "drink your milkshakes"!

in response to CoverOrange:

I think I read that Maymon was actually practicing with the team back at the end of January. The staff just decided it was too late to bring him back then, but physically he was just about ready. I surely HOPE that is the case!

Samuel_L_Salma_GataBait_HowBoutDemCowboys_BlueWaffles88 writes:

in response to jt45:

Yeah, too bad tourney games are played on neutral courts...

in response to murrayvol:

Jarnell doesn't strike me as the kind of guy who would have an "ESPN highlight" orientation to the game. I'm pretty sure CCM doesn't have that view! I think Jarnell will shock the world next year by how much more effective and efficient he is at every phase of the game. I think it MATTERS to him to be as good a player as he can be, not just the most famous.

volnbig11land writes:

in response to Samuel_L_Salma_GataBait_HowBoutDemCowboys_BlueWaffles88:

Yeah, too bad tourney games are played on neutral courts...

"Yeah, too bad tourney games are played on neutral courts."

hahahaha, and how well will your band of merrywomen travel????

PennVol writes:

I was talking to a UK fan and he said the Wildcats should be called the Kentucky Possums, bacause they keep getting killed on the road.

licknpromise777#651578 writes:

First team list is pretty impressive group. Pope pretty much had my vote.Pope was consistently good wire to wire while McRae didn't exactly start the weason with a bang

Lizardgrad89 writes:

in response to jt45:

Florida lost 3 of their final 5 regular season games during both their national championship years, and lost three straight before going to the elite 8 last year as a #7 seed.

FanNotSheep writes:

in response to CroKev:

The money drops off after the lottery picks and again at about the #20 pick. If a player doesn't make first round chances are he will be learning his way around Europe or toiling away in D-League. Another year of college is best for anyone not projected top 15, based on many years of paying attention.

FanNotSheep writes:

in response to Lizardgrad89:

Not sure about SEC refs but definitely away from Thompson-Boling Arena. And/or Bruce Pearl.

I'll bet Billy D still wakes up in a urine-soaked bed from nightmares about Pearl's defense.

Chomp chomp, little Bill.

murrayvol writes:

in response to johnlg00:

He doesn't strike me as that kind of guy either but he does need to embrace the "10,000 hour rule" if he wants to be as good as he can be. That means hitting the gym and shooting free throws (and/or baby hooks) until his fingers are raw.

Jimmy Dykes made a good point in commentary during the Mizzou game about Stokes' ever changing "FT shooting technique. Jarnell should take heed to develop his technique and then practice, practice, practice ala Chris Lofton.

in response to murrayvol:

"How do you get to Carnegie Hall?" You know; same way you get to the NBA or win the Masters!

volnbig11land writes:

in response to Lizardgrad89:

"Evidence suggests that once UF gets away from SEC refs, they start playing a lot better...."

hahahahaha, nice cop out!

you ladies sure do love those SEC refs during football season, ala the Gaffney "ghost catch!"

in response to Lizardgrad89:

I find your overt and implied belief that SEC refs are somehow prejudiced against the Gators to be somewhat absurd. The idea that they would favor the VOLS over the Gators, an assertion you have made several times, is simply ludicrous. Why would refs penalize a two-time national champion team and coach in favor of a Vol team that hasn't won ANYTHING? The only CLEAR pattern of bias shown by SEC refs is for UK at Rupp. All the rest is merely coincidence, sour grapes, or ignorance.

Witch_Doctors writes:

in response to johnlg00:

Witch Doctor say neoptism! thats how! lol
Bones never lie.

murrayvol writes:

in response to johnlg00:

You're right. That rule applies to every walk of life. Malcolm Gladwell mentioned it in his book "Outliers"

murrayvol writes:

in response to Witch_Doctors:

Witch Doctor say neoptism! thats how! lol
Bones never lie.

Doc, I'm not going to edit your posts anymore. You're on your own.lol