PG Darius Thompson likes Cuonzo Martin, UT program

Blackman PG Darius Thompson talks Tennessee

MURFREESBORO — Darius Thompson, the 6-foot-4 senior point guard from Blackman High School, had much to process in a short time Wednesday afternoon.

He entered the day thinking his team had a chance at making a run this week at a Class AAA state championship.

But after Brentwood rallied from an 18-point halftime deficit to eliminate Blackman (30-1) in the quarterfinals at Middle Tennessee State University, Thompson briefly thought of and spoke about his future — which could feature him playing at Tennessee.

Thompson decommitted from Vanderbilt in mid-February, and he’s hearing from Tennessee coach Cuonzo Martin and Martin’s staff “at least once or twice a week.”

“I have two (official) visits left,” said Thompson. “I know the first one, I’m going to Tennessee (to visit). I haven’t decided where I’m going to take the second one.”

Added Thompson: “I really like Coach Martin and Tennessee as a program.”

The signing period begins April 17.

Thompson averaged 15 points and six assists per game this season. The Class AAA Mr. Basketball finalist had 18 points, six rebounds and five assists in the 52-49 loss to Brentwood.

But now that his high school playing days are over, Thompson’s goals for college are now on the front burner.

“In college, I want to play point guard,” said Thompson. “My goal in college is to develop from my freshman year to my senior year and hopefully make it to the NBA — or somewhere to play basketball the rest of my life.

“But my main goal in college is to get to the (NCAA) tournament every year I’m there.”

Get Copyright Permissions © 2013, Knoxville News Sentinel Co.

voloffaith writes:

Jump aboard the Vol Train as we are slowly building in that direction.....

jt45 writes:

A 6'4" point guard would be a great addition to the Vols BB team and next year should be great start with Maymon back.

SummittsCourt writes:

Come on young man and see your dreams come true as a Vol for the rest of your life!

VOLsince68 writes:

Man, I want to see this kid in ORANGE!!!

Willweb2 writes:

Check him out!!!

This kid along with Robert Hubbs will be a backcourt to reckon with!! This guard tandem along with Reese, Moore, Makanjuola, And Josh Richardson as the leading veteran's!! Tennessee basketball will be okay for a while. CCM will just need to recruit a couple of more good bigs to shore up the front court for the future. But if we get Darius Thompson as our next point guard, the future looks bright as ORANGE!!

Willweb2 writes:

Check this kid out!!!

If we can get him in the backcourt with Robert Hubbs, we will have a guard tandem to reckon with for the next few years. These two along with Moore, Cheivous, reese; along rich Richardson, and Makanjoula leading the way!! We will be set for the next few years. CCM just need to recruit a couple of good bigs to shore up the front court for when Jarnell leaves. But if Thompson signs, The future looks bright as ORANGE for the Bball team!!

bobe4544 writes:

Now if only Martin could coach we would be fine.

Witch_Doctors writes:

in response to bobe4544:

Now if only Martin could coach we would be fine.

Witch Doctor say if you only knew how to troll you would be more effective...looks needy.
Bones never lie.

underthehill writes:

Sounds like he is coming to me..and Martin will get him on the floor as soon as he is ready..Golden is the kind of player who would benefit from less time on the floor..will only make the team stronger..

1vavolfan writes:

How will he sign with UT, they are out of scholarships for next season. Landry needs to go somewhere else, he is not SEC material.

John_10065 writes:

in response to Witch_Doctors:

Bones never lie.

Most trolls don't understand the concept of bait and hook.

Masterbaitery is what has made Climer's career for example.

John_10065 writes:

in response to 1vavolfan:

That all depends upon what Stokes and McRae do. It's too early to say we're out of scholarships. Anything can happen and a deep run into March might leave us a spot or two open.

But I have to also say it will be interesting to see what happens in UK. If the NBA doesn't pick up all these diaper dandies and Noel decides to re-hab in college, Calipari might find himself cutting strings on 5* players.

That could leave a green persimmon taste in the mouths of up and comers!

Witch_Doctors writes:

in response to John_10065:

Most trolls don't understand the concept of bait and hook.

Masterbaitery is what has made Climer's career for example.

Witch Doctor agrees. Witch Doctor say at least ZZ puts a little forethought into it. Witch Doctor say these trolls are weak and not as much irritating as they make you feel sorry for them...like a kitten wondering thru a mall parking lot. lol
Bones never lie.

1vavolfan writes:

in response to John_10065:

That could leave a green persimmon taste in the mouths of up and comers!

Stokes nor McRae are projected in the 1st or 2nd rounds, hopefully they are not seeking advice from Scotty Hopson's advisors. I believe it would be a situation where a current player transfers, but don't really see that happening, or a recruit being let out of his letter of intent. It is no secret that Martin is no longer sold on Landry and has been looking around, my guess is that Landry may be persuaded to go somewhere else.

John_10065 writes:

in response to 1vavolfan:

It could be easy for a slick talking agent to get a kid to commit to the draft if they are gullible or desperate to support their family.

We've seen it before on both ends. But I've always said that I have a gut feeling that Stokes wants a diploma as much as a NBA career. He was a 4.0 graduate out of H.S. when he graduated early and that speaks volumes. McRae has only a 1/2 a season of NBA head turning performances, I think he knows that isn't enough.

Still, a walking double-double in the paint and a potential #2 guard scoring threat from anywhere on the court with 7' wings are both hot commodities and the agents know it.

Pompey writes:

.....Stokes is going nowhere this year, Mama Stokes will see to that. As for Jordan he will listen to Martin and come back next season to put polish on his emerging game....with the return of Maymon and addition of Hubbs we may be looking at a "Great Eight" or better next season....!

manniesghost1903 writes:

I just got through seeing Hubbs and Thompson play tonight. As I saw it, both of them appeared to have off nights. Hubbs is the son of the Assistant Coach at Dyer County. I am not saying that as a negative. He appears to be a smart player. If his offense doesn't show up he makes up for it with defense and rebounding. He had his Orange Sneakers on for the game.

In my opinion, For what is worth, Thompson appears to be more suited to Shooting Guard rather than the point. Brentwood was able to makes some steals off of him. However, it also appeared to me Blackman was playing the Brentwood Thugs instead of the Brentwood Bruins. Number 44 (Alsup) for Brentwood looks more suited to Juvenile Court rather than a basketball court. Hopefully, if Thompson goes to UT, Coach Martin will make him a better overall basketball player. I think he needs more teaching to improve his skills.

The suprise of the night was Lake County. An 8-23 team is now a 9-23 team playing in the semi-finals for the Single A Championship.

tnoutlaw2001#228008 writes:

in response to John_10065:

That could leave a green persimmon taste in the mouths of up and comers!

There's no way Stokes or McRae are ready for the NBA. I'm not knocking either of them, but in no way are they headed that direction. McRae is having a great year, and Stokes can get in a groove rebounding but both should be back next year. Remember McRae only became a starter after the season started, and Stokes has not really developed yet offensively. If both develop some more they should get a look at the NBA down the road.

1volk-nowi-tall writes:

in response to manniesghost1903:

Thompson is the real deal. Saw him play about four times this year. He sees the floor better than any guard I have seen in many years of closley watching high school Basketball. Had he taken on more of the ofense in the Brentwood game Blackman would have won. He is so unselfish and appears to enjoy the assist as much as the slam. The kid can play at the next level and if he can gain some much need muscle he will have a hugh impact where ever he goes. Hope it is UT. Blackman did not play their game against Brentwood. Their coach did nothing to help these kids and it may be that there success had less to do with him than it did with the talent this group had.

lstbodeanvol writes:

in response to Witch_Doctors:

Bones never lie.

ZZ cant say anything Coach Martin owns the eddie munster alligators 0-3....GO VOLS

BruisedOrange writes:

in response to 1volk-nowi-tall:

Thanks for the insight.

I was looking at his numbers and wondering--given Martin's interest--what the heck kind of offense Blackman was running.

SouthPaVol writes:

in response to Witch_Doctors:

Bones never lie.

In boxing they might say, "And Witchy nails the dope (err, I mean bobe) with a right cross that leaves him laying on the canvas!) Go Vols!

brod writes:

a real point guard. finally.

in response to John_10065:

That could leave a green persimmon taste in the mouths of up and comers!

This is a situation that comes up all the time. CCM could make a few phone calls and find Landry someplace else to land where he might get more playing time than he would get right away at UT anyway. For all I know, Landry might do fine at UT, but he is a bit small even for a PG and almost certainly not as highly-rated as Thompson. You can't teach 6'4" height, and since he is still in HS, he might be a couple of inches taller by the time he finishes his college career. This is the kind of guy you can build a program on for years to come. He can learn on the job on a GREAT team while spelling Golden, and be the team leader for at least a couple of years after that. As an in-state kid, he could help open some doors for others in the next year or two. Reel him in, CCM!

in response to BruisedOrange:

Thanks for the insight.

It might be that Brentwood was slowing the game down. You don't really need your PG to lead the team in scoring, you just need him to be enough of a threat that the opponents have to respect his offense. After all, only McRae is averaging over 15 PPG for the Vols. The main thing I would want to know is how efficient he is, i.e., how many shots he needs to get his average and what his assist-to-turnover ratio is. As long as he is not a gunner, can defend other PGs, and can take care of the ball, he can learn whatever else he needs to.

BIVOLAR_BEARE writes:

C'mon and be a Vol..Getum' CCM!

GrandCanyonVol writes:

I like both of those guards, Thompson and Hubbs. If you sign both of them, then Tennessee BB will go straight up. Any "Big" would want to be fed by those guys. Tennesse BB is about to take off. Buckle your seatbelts!!!!!!!!!!!!!

flatrock writes:

On Thompson: needs to get much stronger and shorten his dribble- and to learn to like defense;

On McRae: has a chance to make it in NBA, but another year under Cuonzo will only benefit him;

On Stokes: great body, great hands, toughness- but not an NBA leaper or shot-maker...His choices, IMHO, are- getting to see Europe and making nice money; or sitting down with parents and Butch Jones and map out a career that could lead to more NFL Pro Bowls than Jason Witten and more money than his family could ever imagine. Go Vols!

miketn6 writes:

in response to flatrock:

On Stokes - could you also say that about Charles Oakley and Udonis Haslam?

in response to flatrock:

I don't know anything about how Thompson plays, but if your description is accurate, those are areas that would need work. I agree about McRae on both counts. As for Jarnell, I think he CAN make it in the NBA if he gets good enough in a few more skill areas, but I would strongly discourage him from going out after this season for more reasons than my own selfish desire to see the Vols cloud up and rain on the whole darned NCAA next year.

in response to miketn6:

On Stokes - could you also say that about Charles Oakley and Udonis Haslam?

Great examples. I would add Paul Silas and DeJuan Blair, one "old-timer" and one contemporary. Even Bill Russell and Charles Barkely agree that height and leaping ability are overrated compared to hustle, mental and physical toughness, effort, and good balance in all areas of inside play.

underthehill writes:

in response to johnlg00:

Stokes can and will get the opportunity to play in the NBA..barely 19 yrs old and has amazing rebounding skills..when he gets a bit of a mean streak..he can be another Wes Unseld..he will be back with the Vols next year due to his age and parents influence..,

in response to underthehill:

From your keyboard to God's eyes, buddy!

decades_vol (Inactive) writes:

A good point guard, and good guards in general, are essential to having an NCAA tournament type team. Louisville's guard play speaks volumes. If the Thompson kid would like to come to UT, let him come. He could be a missing piece to a team that currently has some missing pieces. Hubbs could be another big piece. Maymon should be a difference maker. These guys, with the rest of the returning players, could produce a good Vol basketball team, maybe even a very good team, this next season. But for Tennessee to play at a higher level, I think they need to recruit a couple of outside shooters. Tennessee lost several games this year because they couldn't make outside shots (or free throws, for that matter). Watching the Mercer game, I saw Mercer make 3-point shots and key free throws. Something the Vols could not do. I remember thinking during the game that if the Vols could take two of Mercer's players, they would be downright dangerous. And dancing, without a doubt.

I honestly think that Tennessee can be consistently good year after year. No, we'll never be able to recruit like Kentucky. But I think we can recruit like Butler. And maybe play like them too.