UT signee Robert Hubbs says Vols will 'do some damage' in NCAA tournament

Dyer County's Robert Hubbs III plays against Hillsboro during the quarterfinals of the division 1 class AAA boys TSSAA state tournament in Murfreesboro on Wednesday, March 13, 2013. (AMY SMOTHERMAN BURGESS/NEWS SENTINEL)

Photo by Amy Smotherman Burgess

MURFREESBORO — Following a 40-35 win Wednesday in the Class AAA state quarterfinals, Dyer County High School boys’ basketball coach Derek McCord asked the media to relay a message.

He asked that all University of Tennessee fans come to Middle Tennessee State’s Murphy Center on Friday to support Dyer County’s 6-foot-5 shooting guard Robert Hubbs, a Tennessee signee.

McCord spoke of how Hubbs, a Class AAA Mr. Basketball finalist who averages 25 points per game, could have gone to other big-time programs but chose to play for the Vols.

Whether Tennessee fans show up or not, Hubbs said Wednesday that he hears from Vols fans on a daily basis.

“They’re tweeting me or Facebooking me, just about every day,” said Hubbs.

Tennessee assistant coach Jon Harris attended Wednesday’ game, and Hubbs said he speaks with Tennessee coach Cuonzo Martin or someone from the staff “every other day.”

Hubbs, a 5-star player by 247sports, chose Tennessee over offers from schools such as Duke, Florida, Memphis, Ole Miss, Mississippi State, Missouri and Vanderbilt.

“I just want to go in there and just make a statement,” he said. “The atmosphere just felt like home to me. There’s no better place in the country than Tennessee.”

Hubbs will keep one eye on Tennessee in the SEC tournament this week in Nashville, he added.

And when referring Tennessee’s chances at securing an NCAA tournament bid, he spoke as if he was already part of the team.

“We got a real good chance,” he said. “We beat Missouri, Florida and Kentucky. We got some big wins.

“We should get in and do some damage in the NCAA tournament.”

Get Copyright Permissions © 2013, Knoxville News Sentinel Co.

Bigger_Al writes:

Hubbs!!!!! VFL already. Next year could be real interesting with Maymon back, if everything holds.

ACWLY writes:

Great to have a kid like this coming in, things really looking up!

eb502us#225637 writes:

Hope he's right but we need at least 2 tournament wins to feel safe, and that's if there are no tournament upsets in other leagues.

voloffaith writes:

Ya'll know it's really a shame Coach Martin can't recruit........Oh btw ,I also think he can coach. Yeah the learning curve from mid-major to SEC was stout, but I think his basketball smarts transcended that chasm.

underthehill writes:

.. beating Duke for this player..says it all for me..

jt45 writes:

Hubbs already using the word We says it all, he is all in and ready to put on the real Orange and start a four year run like we havent seen in a long while.

VolGrad writes:

If Stokes remains, and he should, Hubbs coming in could be a boost to our recruiting as well. Winning more games would also help. Maymon, Stokes, Hubbs and if McRae stays....

Just saying....

That just sounds too good; I must've missed something somewhere. That can't be right.

greatdaysahead writes:

The name says it all.

allvol9 writes:

Wish I was close enough to go cheer for Hubbs in the tournament! Good luck to him. Love his attitude....and so glad he chose the Orange!

lstbodeanvol writes:

in response to allvol9:

he has already been wearing orange in west tennessee (Newbern) Dyer county choctaws ..good luck to Dyer co. and GO VOLS

volfan1954 writes:

in response to allvol9:

Hubbs not only chose the Orange, he's been Orange his entire high school career. Dyer County's colors are orange and white. Just continuing the tradition.

claiborneh writes:

UT Vols signee says, "We don't stand a chance. I'm not sure we will get in, but if we do I say we will wont be able to do any damage. Well probably get knocked out first game."

Another lame article with such insightful opinion from a teenager

stevefrommemphis writes:

Unfortunately, a lot of Vol fans are going to be at Bridgestone Arena to see the Vols play. Seeing both Dyer and UT would be possible if you hustle and are willing to miss the Florida game.

However, I did see Hubbs play today at Murfreesboro, and he looks quite impressive. Probably will add about 20 pounds in college. Dyer Co fans spoke highly of him as a person, which counts for a lot.

orangecountyvols writes:

Vol fans,

The 'conservative' troll has spoken. We can now move on to more intelligent posts.

SouthPaVol writes:

in response to VolGrad:

Just saying....

How many juniors that will return has been on my mind since McRae poured in 35 and Stokes started AVERAGING a double-double in SEC play. Both have made such tremendous strides and are playing at such a high level, but I still feel in my heart that both can learn something valuable by playing another year under CCM.

If all players return and remain healthy, we beat most teams by 30 points and walk away with SEC crown in 2014. May break final four for the first time. Go Vols!

mocsandvolsfan writes:

IF we get the Thompson kid to come in at PG we'd have to dump somebody that won't want to leave or change commits. He probably wouldn't see many starts as a freshman. But I'd say that Golden could not have many off nights with the pressure of a true(?) point guard backing him. But if Golden turns pro he's gonna need this point guard experience.imho I don't think he'll be a pro at the 2. I'm predicting a breakout year for this senior along with Richardson. Even if Stokes and McRae stay.

As far as Hubbs goes??? The kid sure looked awesome in his videos. The teams he played against in them could not keep up.

mocsandvolsfan writes:

in response to mocsandvolsfan:

PS They couldn't keep up with Thompson either.

HtownVol writes:

I have been saying it for months.
If McRae and Stokes stays UT is going to have their most talented team kince Bert and Ernie. Yes more talent than 2008. That team had no NBA players but they did have chemistry.

I just hope McRae and Stokes dont make the same mistake as Hopson. Both players are at best late first rounders at this point. If they come back Stokes will not see many double teams with Maymon and McRae will have much more room to score with more scroring threats on the floor.
If they return both player will be in the mix for a lottery selection.
Not only do I want them back for UT to have a chance at a national championship but I want Vols in the NBA. Both players have star talent but need to tune their game in order to make an impact in the NBA. McRae needs to be able to handle the ball and gain some bulk for the 2 guard in the NBA and Stokes will be a Power Forward and will not have many chances to score with his back to the basket so he has to develope a mid range shot. He can rebound with the best of them but 9'8 Centers dont work out. Almost every PF in the NBA has a mid-range game.
I only hope these kids see this also. If so UT will be atop the SEC next season and should be a top 10 team in the country.

GO VOLS

HopeisNotaCourseofAction writes:

This year has ended up being exciting and fun.

Next year could be, depending on who stays and who arrives, an absolutely awesome year with several following years of increased success as these youngins mature.

Who of thunk it after looking so lame losing to gtown 37-36 a few months ago?

I for one am so tired of the ifs and buts, wouldas, couldas, and shouldas in UT men's sports for the past years, BUT IF Coach Jones can ALSO get us back to a winning season in FB, "UT is back in the game baby!" (quote is borrowed and modified from one made by george costanza, circa 1999)

SummittsCourt writes:

I'm liking this player more and more. Regardless of how this season shakes out the future does look bright for the Vols!

tennrich1 writes:

Thank you Big Orange for not responding to the obvious idiot amongst us...its a trap...and we're doing good!!!!

Noogaorange writes:

in response to claiborneh:

Another lame article with such insightful opinion from a teenager

Really.....come on man!!!! Give us a break.
GBO VFL17

jmaples54 writes:

in response to claiborneh:

Another lame article with such insightful opinion from a teenager

put down the remote and step away from sports. go back to your psychology today magazine. (or mad magazine-- is it still in circulation?)

Sir_Spanky writes:

in response to NEVERBECONSERVATIVEWITHKNS:

So that's your response to what a high school kid said? Your post is not very impressive.

GatorHater1998 writes:

Jalen Hurd commits to Tennessee!!!!!!

mocsandvolsfan writes:

in response to GatorHater1998:

Jalen Hurd commits to Tennessee!!!!!!

Really cool

BetsyVol writes:

From the article, I like the attitude of the kid. Thinking in terms of "We" rather than "I".

Does anybody know if the game today is going to be on ESPN3 or not? I'm seeing conflicting and incomplete info.

Basketvol writes:

in response to claiborneh:

Another lame article with such insightful opinion from a teenager

Another lame post with such insightful opinion from a troll.

There is a word for your prejudice. It's called agism. I am a teacher and I know and have met many teenagers with amazing insight. Remember when you are old and in diapers, these teenagers--whose opinions you show no respect for--will be running the show.

SLM85VOL writes:

Coach Martin appears to have this program headed in the right direction. I reserved my doubts, but he and Coach Jones have some mojo that we haven't had in quite awhile.

allvol32 writes:

in response to NEVERBECONSERVATIVEWITHKNS:

Look in the mirror and you will see the real idiot...

bUTch_please writes:

Zo VOLS!

in response to claiborneh:

Another lame article with such insightful opinion from a teenager

And more lame negativity from a...whatever age you are. Some people don't grow up, they just get older.

gc_scvol writes:

in response to NEVERBECONSERVATIVEWITHKNS:

Actually, it really sounds to me that you are the self-centered tool. And that comes from a more mature person than yourself. You are really pathetic, and throw the word "idiot" around as if you know the meaning. You really need to get over your immature self.

in response to NEVERBECONSERVATIVEWITHKNS:

I guess you would like him better if he had a sullen attitude like yours. You don't need guys on your team that don't think they are good, you just don't want guys that already think they know it all and don't have to work. I surely don't get that vibe from what I have read about him so far. You, not so much.

in response to HtownVol:

I have been saying it for months.

If they return both player will be in the mix for a lottery selection.

GO VOLS

Good post; agree with all. I don't know much about McRae's family situation, so I don't know how much pressure he may feel to make money soon to support his family. That is a big reason why many kids try to go pro before they are ideally ready. Stokes is in a completely different category. His parents are both educated, solid middle-class people. They are both educators who would very much want Jarnell to get his degree. Jarnell himself is an honor student, or was in HS at least, who is not likely to swallow a line of BS from some wannabe agent. I also think he is perceptive enough to know that he needs to improve aspects of his game to make a solid pro with a real career rather than just get a "cup of coffee" in the league and be gone after his first contract runs out. I think both McRae and Stokes will come back and the Vols will be flat-out DYNAMITE next year. I can hardly wait, but I am still hopeful that THIS year's team still has more success ahead of it.

in response to tennrich1:

I guess some of us--including me--couldn't resist replying to the trolls. I get the idea that replying only feeds their sick little egos, but sometimes I just can't resist smacking them down. Childish of me I know, but there it is.

in response to jmaples54:

"Mad" magazine still exists, but I am sure it is too smart and insightful for the likes of him. Not a chance he would understand the humor.

Olddogsrule writes:

johnlg00 uses an open left to the empty brainpan ... an open right ... another left!!! an it IS an 'idiot' smackdown!!!!!

vol98champ writes:

Is anybody watching this mess in the second half?

TeamXer writes:

in response to NEVERBECONSERVATIVEWITHKNS:

You make some valid points which I will be discussing deep into the night with my Tennessee Basketball loving associates. Please continue to voice your sagacious opinion any time in this forum.

RashaadSalabeb writes:

Welcome young man! The Vols are in! Mark it down. Good job guys. Nobody can beat you when you give it your all. We are proud of you. Keep fighting! Never quit....never!

Orange Baby!!!!!

decades_vol (Inactive) writes:

in response to NEVERBECONSERVATIVEWITHKNS:

I thought the Unabomber was incarcerated. Hmm, then again, maybe they have wi-fi behind the razor wire. Sounds like a piece of work, this one.

jamgod writes:

in response to claiborneh:

Another lame article with such insightful opinion from a teenager

Your such an idiot moron. What the heck was that post all about. Go crawl back under your rock so you don't ruin someone else's day okay...sheesh, what a whiner!!

bobe4544 writes:

in response to SLM85VOL:

If you think the NIT every year is the right direction, then you are correct.