CPA's Jalen Lindsey has high regard for Cuonzo Martin, Vols

CPA forward Jalen Lindsey

MURFREESBORO — A buzz bounced about the Murphy Center at Middle Tennessee State University on Thursday during a Class AA state quarterfinal between Christ Presbyterian Academy and Memphis Mitchell.

It’s not every day that Kentucky men’s basketball coach John Calipari frequents the building.

About seven rows up from the court, he and assistant coach Orlando Antigua sat. It wasn’t hard to figure out which player they were scouting.

CPA’s Jalen Lindsey, a 4-star talent and 6-foot-7 junior forward, is a next-level talent, and he holds nearly 20 Division I scholarship offers.

Kentucky hasn’t offered just yet. Tennessee has, however.

Lindsey scored 23 points — including a few SportsCenter-worthy dunks — in the 71-47 win. He said his recruitment has slowed down of late, but he expects it to pick back up soon.

“I’ve gotten a lot of offers, 18 or 19. It’s kind of slowed down because they’re concentrating on 2013 guys who haven’t committed,” he said. “Once that happens, I think it’ll start picking back up.”

Lindsey called Tennessee “a great school.”

“They’re in a rebuilding part (as a program) right now,” he said. “I have a lot of respect for Coach (Cuonzo) Martin and all those guys. They keep up with me, and I have a lot of respect for those guys.”

Lindsey, a two-time Mr. Basketball finalist, averages 20 points, eight rebounds and three blocks per game. He’s branched out his game this season, showing better accuracy on mid- and long-range jumpers.

“I’ve been working a lot,” said Lindsey. “I got a personal trainer, Drew Hanlen, who went to Belmont. He’s trained a lot of NBA guys. He and I are working all the time, working on my jumper, my pull-up jumper. I’m continuing to still work. I got a lot of things to work on, but I think it’s really helping and paying off.”

Lindsey said he could see himself fitting into Tennessee’s system.

“I feel like I can fit into a lot of people’s system,” he added. “Tennessee’s got a great team and has a great coach who’s coaching them. I think their system fits what we do (at CPA), along with a lot of other schools, too.”

Get Copyright Permissions © 2013, Knoxville News Sentinel Co.

jamgod writes:

Go getem' coach Zoe. Bring that talent in and get us to a 1st champinoship. To do that, you got to bring in the best talent!!

manniesghost1903 writes:

Jalen Lindsey will call UT a great school but his Head Coach at CPA is Drew Maddox and Brian Alsmiller is one of the assistants. CPA has recruited a great all star team to make sure Jake Alsmiller (guess who's son he is?) will be an all star state champion. Right now the only team that has a very slim chance against the CPA Lions State Champion AA Invitational is Jackson Southside and that is a slim and none chance. UT may have offered Jalen Lindsey a scholarship but my guess is that Drew Maddux would break both Lindsey's knee caps before he would allow him to sign with UT. I am not saying CPA is not good but they really belong in the private school division with Brentwood Academy; MBA; etc;.

VOLsince68 writes:

in response to manniesghost1903:

Let's just hope that Jalen can make his own decisions if he truly wants to be a VOL!!!

Would love to see him on the hill. We have room for another Jalen..... :)

sly_stone99#434111 writes:

Hire Drew Hanlen,lol!!

Ayres_Hall writes:

in response to manniesghost1903:

Am I supposed to know who Drew Maddox and Brian Alsmiller are? High school basketball coaches for a small private school, right?

Small time politics?

volfan#207874 writes:

Would love to see this young man wearing the orange and white of UT! He seems to be quite articulate in his remarks, however, he makes no commitments to any school, rather oblique comments on his referrals to the schools that are bidding for his services. I hope that the Vols will do all within the recruiting guidelines to secure this young man's signature on a commitment to play for the Big Orange! GBO

VolAtUGA11 writes:

in response to Ayres_Hall:

Small time politics?

They played at Vandy. Maddux played with Ron Mercer at Goodpasture High. For an historic TN building, you sure don't know much about TN basketball.

VolAtUGA11 writes:

in response to Ayres_Hall:

Small time politics?

And I guess I should pre-empt your next question: Ron Mercer played for UK, where he helped win a NC. He was then a lotto pick by guess-who, his old CBB coach and new Celtics HC, GM, Prez, Grand Poobah Rick "Don't Bother Me While I'm Under The Table" Pitino. I hope I don't have to explain Pitino's nickname.

VolunteerLifer writes:

in response to VolAtUGA11:

There's no place for your kind of smugness on this or any other site, know-it-all.

kyvol98 writes:

in response to VolunteerLifer:

He doesn't know everything. Pitino did it on top of the table......

murrayvol writes:

"I feel like I can fit into a lot of people's system" J. Lindsey.

That's about right.

volinlouisvilleky writes:

in response to VolAtUGA11:

No it's...... "Don't Bother Me While I'm ON TOP OF The Table and bring me my Italian sausage stuffed blond...I mean Red Snapper"! "Don't you know who I am?"

The word is getting around. CCM will bring in some prime talent going forward. He hasn't done THAT badly already, and some of his much-derided "no-stars" are becoming serviceable SEC players before our very eyes. Don't think that isn't being noticed.

VolAtUGA11 writes:

in response to VolunteerLifer:

My apologies for being smug. I was trying to be funny but wasn't.

Lindsey seems like a heck of a basketball player and a good kid. Hope he picks UT but wish him the best with his decision regardless.

manniesghost1903 writes:

For those of you who are new to UT basketball Drew Maddux is the son of former Vanderbilt basketball player (star?) Ray Maddux. Drew Maddux and Ron Mercer played on the Goodpasture High School team under a former Vanderbilt graduate whose name I cannot recall. They met Battle Ground Academy (BGA) in the AA State Finals. Although Goodpasture had a decided height and athletic advantage (in my opinion), they lost the game to BGA because their best rebounders spent the entire second half trying to make NBA three point shots. (I shed no tears for them and still don't).

At that time, the Nashville sports media was sure Ron Mercer would play at Vanderbilt "with his best friend, Drew Maddux." However, that didn't work out.

I am sure the "Vandy Fatcats" expect both Lindsey and Braxton Blackwell to go to Vandy when the time comes. I am also sure Drew Maddux will be insistent about it as well. Therefore, I won't hold my breath waiting for either one of them to go to UT. If by some great miracle either or both of them do end up at UT, Martin or whoever is coach at that time should be given a "lifetime contract" to be head basketball coach at UT.

By the way, Lake County boys (10 wins and 23 losses) with a women head coach will be playing for the A State Championship. I hope they win because they "got screwed out of playing" for the championship last year by Perry County and the TSSAA referees.

manniesghost1903 writes:

PS. Let me make a couple of corrections. It is not a fact Lake County got screwed last year in the semi-finals, it just my personal opinion.

Additionally Brian Allsmiller (I left out a L) is also a former Vanderbilt basketball player (star?). His son, Jake Allsmiller, is a Vanderbilt legacy and "Jaylen Lindsey will be expected to attend Vanderbilt with his best friend Jake" according to the Nashville Media. We will see how that plays out.

UT did not do itself any favors today by losing to Alabama but a key injury before the start of this season had an adverse effect. Barring any NBA defections UT should be better next year.