Week off gives Lady Vols time to heal

Holly Warlick on the pulse of the Lady Vols

With a week off between tournaments, Tennessee’s Holly Warlick is staging a balancing act.

The Lady Vols coach began by giving her players three days off following a 66-62 loss to Texas A&M last Saturday in the SEC women’s basketball tournament semifinals. When they returned to the court, she changed the usual practice routine. Warlick has divided the players into smaller groups for shorter work sessions. The rest of their time has been devoted to conditioning.

The schedule enables them to address the shortcomings exhibited last weekend at Gwinnett Arena and stay in shape for next week’s NCAA tournament. But it doesn’t allow for any grueling workouts, which was by design.

“I wanted us to stay in shape but there was no way we could come back and have full-blown practice,” Warlick said. “We’re just banged up right now. I think it was important for us to get some time off right now and heal.”

Isabelle Harrison especially needs the time. The sophomore center has missed the last three games with a medial collateral ligament injury in her right knee. She was walking around at Pratt Pavilion on Thursday wearing a brace on the knee.

“I anticipate she probably will be back but I don’t know,” Warlick said. “She’s still rehabbing.”

UT assistant coach Dean Lockwood said “less is definitely more” this week. In particular, he was thinking of Lady Vols freshmen Bashaara Graves and Jasmine Jones.

“One of the things we have to be mindful of is some of our players — I’m referring to our current freshmen — they’ve never been this long in a season,” he said. “We want them to be fresh going into (next) week.”

Warlick’s Call: Warlick said that it was her decision to watch the NCAA selection show Monday night at Neyland Stadium’s East Club rather than Pat Summitt’s house.

“I didn’t want Pat to have the pressure of getting everything ready,” Warlick said, “and having everybody over at her house.”

Summitt stepped down as head coach last April to become the Lady Vols head coach emeritus.

Going No. 1: Summitt’s memoir “Sum It Up” will be No. 1 next week on the New York Times bestseller list. Warlick wants her players to read the book.

“I think it’s important for them to read it, to get to know a little bit more of the history and what all Pat did and what the program did to get to this point,” Warlick said. “I think it’s a history lesson for them and one they need to know.”

Notebook: Junior guard Meighan Simmons is on the final ballot for the Wooden Award. ... Graves is among the candidates on an ESPN.com poll for freshman of the year.

Get Copyright Permissions © 2013, Knoxville News Sentinel Co.

Theo writes:

We need the rest and I totally agree with the breather for the Freshman. The length of the season is a drag physically and mentally for the new kids. Would love to have Izzy but no need to push it.
Unbelievable that Pat's book will be #1 on NYT list next week. I think I'll file that bit away for the various and asundry tools who like to get on here and dismiss women's BB. Going to see Pat here tomorrow in Nashville at Parnassus book signing. Can't wait.

SummittsCourt writes:

Graves was actually winning the espn poll when I voted as she should be!

Go Lady Vols!

Fall_Creek_Vols writes:

I have read the book. It's a "must-read" for any true Lady Vols fan. Not at all surprised that just like everything Coach Pat is involved with, it's #1. Holly is wise to have the team read it.

It's been a difficult year. Pat's book talks about a few of those. Still, it can be a GREAT year with a deep tourney run. Go for it, ladies. You have what it takes!

movol53 writes:

in response to SummittsCourt:

Graves was actually winning the espn poll when I voted as she should be!

Go Lady Vols!

Ok please explain how I can go vote.

Thanks.

madrigal writes:

I guess that answers the snotty question from yesterday's article about the selection watch party. Holly is the coach now, she makes the decisions!

AllforTenn writes:

in response to movol53:

Ok please explain how I can go vote.

Thanks.

maxvolfan#217855 writes:

in response to madrigal:

She also mentioned she didn't want Pat to have to prepare for the team to come over . Bottomline Holly is the coach and makes the decisions. Pat as loyal is any Volunteer has volunteered her time again to be the torch barrier for a cure for Alzheimer disease research.

in response to Fall_Creek_Vols:

It's on the top of my "to be read" stack. I will be reading it while BOTH Vol teams are shocking the basketball world.

madrigal writes:

in response to Fall_Creek_Vols:

I got the book on my iPad the day it came out and read it the same day. It's definitely a must-read and it's also quite informative. As long as I've been a Lady Vols fan (which is all the way back to Suzanne Barbre) there were things in that book that I didn't know or didn't remember. It really tracks Pat's growth as a coach and the rise of women's basketball in general.

lstbodeanvol writes:

reading sum it up now and enjoying it :)