Webb School sophomore LB Brant Mitchell 'shocked and amazed' at Vols' offer

Webb's Brant Mitchell (43) is poses with the offensive MVP award after the Spartans defeated the ECS Eagles during the Div. II Class A championship game at the TSSAA 2012 BlueCross Bowl at Tennessee Tech University in Cookeville, Tenn., Thursday, Nov. 29, 2012. Webb won 47-14 over ECS. (ADAM BRIMER/NEWS SENTINEL)

Photo by Adam Brimer

Webb School of Knoxville middle linebacker Brant Mitchell received an unexpected call Saturday afternoon.

And the news turned out to be good news.

The 6-foot-2, 235-pound sophomore was riding home from the University of Tennessee football program’s Family Day when he found out that he had been offered a scholarship to play for the Vols.

“I didn’t expect it at all,” said Mitchell.

Nevertheless, Mitchell had received his first offer from a Football Bowl Subdivision program.

“I was so shocked and amazed,” said Mitchell. “I was jumping off the walls.

“It feels amazing. I give God all the credit.”

Even though Tennessee’s recruiting momentum has spiked in the last week and Webb junior Todd Kelly Jr. committed to Tennessee last weekend, Mitchell didn’t commit right away.

He wants to explore and learn more about this recruiting process. After all, he hasn’t even completed his sophomore school year.

“I still have a long way to go, and Tennessee is a good school,” said Mitchell. “But I do want to keep my options open.

“I am just a sophomore. I have a lot of work to put in it. We’ll see where it goes from here.”

Mitchell helped Webb win the 2012 Division II-A state championship.

He rushed for 48 yards and a touchdown on four carries, and he won the game’s defensive MVP award for making 10 tackles, a tackle for loss and a pass breakup.

Mitchell said he wants to get to the ball quicker on defense and improve on his 4.7 speed.

Mitchell also tipped his cap to Kelly, whose high-profile recruitment likely helped Mitchell gain exposure.

But the Tennessee offer doesn’t have Mitchell satisfied.

“It’s going to make me want to work harder, to see how far I can go.” said Mitchell. “I think it can be a great motivator.

“I don’t think it will make me slack off a bit.”

Get Copyright Permissions © 2013, Knoxville News Sentinel Co.

voloffaith writes:

My how refreshing to hear the old talk about a good work ethic...

BackAShoneysnFleas writes:

It remains to be seen how Butch Jones will manage a game on the field, but I'm liking his off-the-field activities more all the time. There seems to be a lot of positive energy around the team now. It has been a LONG time since it felt that way. I just wish his hiring wasn't tainted by DiPietro and Hart, those traitors that have been planted in our midst to keep our program in the cellar of the SEC. Ha Ha, just kidding - isn't that ridiculous? Yet, there are people that continue to believe this. It will take a while, but Jones will bring our program back to respectability.

laraccoon writes:

wow , this kid speaks very mature for a 10th grader .Webb must be loaded .

Fall_Creek_Vols writes:

A little early, isn't it?

ColdBlackWind writes:

in response to Fall_Creek_Vols:

A little early, isn't it?

,?!?! And just a few months back THE University was being chided for not going after local players and not getting in on the great players early. I think this is CBJ building that foundation to get OUR team back to the place where heart carries us over the tough spots. Witness Billy Ratliff knocking the Arkie guard into Stoerner and causing/recovering a fumble. That is heart and we have been without it for a decade +.

RealisticVol writes:

I did not hear Orange blood in the kids response.

jawbreaker writes:

in response to RealisticVol:

I did not hear Orange blood in the kids response.

My thought, also. I definitely get the impression he will be looking around, but he's only a Sophomore, and that's okay.

SummittsCourt writes:

in response to Fall_Creek_Vols:

A little early, isn't it?

Not anymore. Most of these kids have recruiters talking to them as early as 8th grade. Wake up dude, it's a different world these days.